Cheap whole theater diffusion by 3d wall panels??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2020, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cheap whole theater diffusion by 3d wall panels???

I was wondering in advance of building a new dedicated theater in the upcoming year or two that since I have acoustic panels I mainly need to add diffuser panels, however I have seen some decent looks 3D panels either pressed to form from plants or mdf that can be painted. These panels are available on amazon for the plant ones atleast and come in about a dozen designs. My question is can you cover all walls in this using the mdf version or plant version. Covering 100% of the walls minus the screen and outlets and acoustic panels. Has anyone done this and seems good results as they are not at god as a diffuser but if covering all walls maybe it would be equal to that and add some unique design element as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Effective frequency bandwidth of diffusion is related to feature size, the largest feature corresponding to low frequency effective limit.

Therefore, stamped or formed panels with small size of the architectural elements on the order of a few inches has a limited effect at lower frequencies. Diffusion just to lower midbass frequencies requires elements with sizes measured in feet.

High frequency only diffusion can still be helpful combined with modest absorption at early reflection points, but there wouldn't be much additional benefit in covering the entire room with such panels.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Post some links so we can see what you are talking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2020, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 43
This is one site that sells plant panels and mdf panels, first I am linking to the plant based panels which are like press formed plastic with air pockets between the wall and the raised portions of the panel. there are various designs to pick from and I imagine a geometric pattern may be the most worth 2nd link is the mdf panel. https://www.walldecor3d.com/plant-fiber-3d-wall-panels/ https://www.walldecor3d.com/product/...d-wall-panels/ it would be great if this works even half decently as it would only cost about $1000 or so to treat almost any room. which I spent close to that cost on DIY acoustic panels alone. at the very least I expect the mdf to add weight to the wall and the plant panels may isolate? due to the air pockets providing isolation.

If these are basically useless I will end up building some diffuser panels myself. I'm sure there is a few threads for that. just never saw anyone talk about wall panels.
chadddada likes this.

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-27-2020 at 07:54 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How would those panels do with absorption and diffusion? I suspect all diffusion? Not sure if I am artistic enough to put a wall together with those and absorbers; what would that look like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2020, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Another forum member @SteveCallas used panels similar to these in his home theater. You can see his build here: Steve's First Dedicated Theater. Maybe he'll chime in here on how effective they are.

I do recall seeing @Floyd Toole say that for diffusion panels to be effective, they need to be at least 4" deep, and these are only about 1". Maybe the good doctor can chime in here, also.

The price point on these and the ones that Steve used in his build thread were too attractive to pass up, so I did purchase a few boxes of them when they went on sale at Amazon. While I haven't had time to properly install them, I did sit them upright on the floor around the sides of my theater, and took before and after snapshots of the T-20 values of the room.

Here are the results:

There are definite changes in the room, but it's hard to say if there's an improvement, although a couple of sections are more consistent.

There are many caveats to offer here: My room is relatively untreated, is great need of absorption, and the panels should have been placed at ear level, not standing on the floor. (These are all on a massive to-do list.)

I do wonder if mounting them two across, but at a convex angle so that their meeting point is at least four inches out from the wall, might yield better results, and I do plan on testing this. (Again, part of a massive to-do list.)

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T20 Results.png
Views:	133
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2677016  

post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2020, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 900
The plant fiber based panels (cellulose) may actually absorb sound, I don't know how soft and porous they are. I went with the rigid PVC based panels, and the shapes stick out about 1/2". I used these in a couple areas on my side and back walls in conjunction with absorption panels:

and I used these on my ceiling:

I do not have any before and after measurements, and I realized these would only be effective at scattering higher frequencies, but for my setup, that is perfect. If your alternative is a flat wall and you feel you have some built up energy in the top end, these should be an improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page