Hidden mid century modern home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bluer101
  • 1 Post By frankwp
  • 1 Post By Tedd

post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hidden mid century modern home theater

Have you ever wanted a subtle living room home theater? Me too, which is why the past few months I've been planning the future state of my set up. While I may have above average knowledge on the subject, I admittedly have a pretty basic understanding of room acoustics & custom AV furniture. Alas, because I haven't found anything that could work for me, the only option is to go custom.

In a perfect world, the center channel and subwoofers are hidden inside the credenza behind acoustically transparent material, along with all of the equipment allowing only a 55" LG OLED, VAVA 4k UST projector & my Focal Electra tower speakers to be visible. This set up would also allow me to use the wall for artwork instead, making it even more of a discrete set up.

I do have some concerns here though...
• How can I preserve the quality of the center while hiding it completely?
• Are there any special considerations to be made for that area of the cabinet?
• Will the subwoofers work well inside of the cabinet or would they shake them?
• How do I go about ventilation?

The distance from the projector to the screen means that the projector needs to be moved into position. Having a cabinet that is 34" deep is out of the question, so instead I came up with a solution to slide the counter top forward into the room. I'll be figuring out how to have it motorized so it happens with the push of a button, allowing the Vividstorm floor rising screen to be completely invisible underneath it in the back of the cabinet.

If anyone has any threads that could help me make some decisions for my project please forward them over. Looking forward to locking in the design & dimensions to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
Eliminate the credenza (I didn’t think they were in style anymore) and do the drop down with high quality in walls for your flat panel. Hide your equipment in another area for a clean look.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 832
This was at my last home.

osifer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Eliminate the credenza (I didn’t think they were in style anymore)

Credenzas are not in style? Great looking storage never goes out of style. The whole point is to hide things in plain sight.

I already have a unit I could store everything in but nothing that would bring the width that I want, nor support both a UST projector & center channel.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 72
osifer, this is going to be an interesting & unique build. I'm looking forward to the finished product (as are you, I'm sure).
osifer likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Eliminate the credenza (I didn’t think they were in style anymore) and do the drop down with high quality in walls for your flat panel. Hide your equipment in another area for a clean look.
Credenzas are very much still in style, especially for us folks with modern or mid-century modern homes.

I like the OP designs a lot and think they'll work fairly well as is.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by osifer View Post
Credenzas are not in style? Great looking storage never goes out of style. The whole point is to hide things in plain sight.

I already have a unit I could store everything in but nothing that would bring the width that I want, nor support both a UST projector & center channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRoyalSenders View Post
Credenzas are very much still in style, especially for us folks with modern or mid-century modern homes.

I like the OP designs a lot and think they'll work fairly well as is.
I think you’re looking for is a ‘side board’. Credenza not for what is needed here. Updated verbiage.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 982
A Middle Atlantic Credenza has active cooling. I was thinking of cloning one using a four post rack, right up to the point I found one going for an unbelievable low price.
I am not a fan of it's walnut panels, but those are simply going to become patterns for new wood panels. I am looking for a cutting edge statement look. I am kind of leaning
towards a cracked wood and black epoxy look. (Just wondering how brutal that might be on blades and planner blades?)

I am with thebland in that a credenza that encases a center channel and sticking a big box between speakers isn't something performance driven. I am avoiding that entirely,
by just doing 2.2, and using exposed bookshelf speakers (PMC TB2s). I will not be sticking subs in the cabinet, but on the floor, as I plan to expand two more bays and go wall
to wall and have them acoustically transparent. Instead of a deeper frame, I hope to recess some of its depth into an interior wall.

For the record, I have put a sub in a cabinet and boxed in speakers, and those are "been there, done that, and never doing it again" "features". Sounded like a good idea, but not
so good.... A sub can vibrate a cabinet and a panel might rattle.

I do like the idea of the sliding top you have, and a rack and pinion gear could make that happen.

If you are going the custom route, why not take full advantage of that, and design for your gear (with a little bit of future proof wiggle room).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C5Frame.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	2677246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle_Atlantic_IC5F2_IC5F2C5_Series_Credenza_Rack_747775.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2677250   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a0acb2c6464c78a14c06f2e8cf8e70b.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2677254  
thebland likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
With acoustically transparent fronts pulling air out the back shouldn't be an issue, ACinfinity has options that would work. Not an expert but having subs in there might be an issue depending on construction and what's between the sub and the credenza.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema

Left over Supplies for Sale - For Sale
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This looks like a cool and fun project. First a few questions:

How far is your viewing distance from seating to the screen?

Is that a window nearby and therefore some ambient light?

I assume you are contemplating a short throw projector that would sit on the credenza?

What size screen?

A few preliminary observations:

1. I like the credenza idea although going custom certainly will be expensive. I am a little worried the screen is too high so I would try and move it down as much as possible.
2. Putting the center channel inside the credenza should be fine. Obviously it is not perfect but we are not taking about a high end dedicated room here, it is a multi purpose living room. It will sound very good if done properly.
3. The subs are a little challenging but if you build the credenza out of sturdy materials with lots of screws and strong glue, it will be good. You will be limited to smaller sealed subs, and you are committing to their location. I would check out the SVS SB-3000 for this application. And the subs would need to sit on some acoustic isolation material such as an Auralex sub dude pad or the SVS isolation feet.
4. The credenza is pretty wide and has some empty space inside; you might be able to condense things and save some money and get a more compact look.
5. If the credenza has acoustic fabric on the front, ventilation should not be a problem but you can have your cabinet guy build in some fans which are effective and inexpensive. Subwoofers and speakers do not get hot, but amplifiers can, so you could focus on fans just by your receiver and any amps.
6. The TV does look undersized compared to the credenza, I would go bigger than 55 inches. In fact, if you have a lot of ambient light and a short viewing distance, a big TV might be the way to go instead of a projector. I saw an 86 inch 4K TV at Costco the other day for just $1800. That would be ideal with a shorter viewing distance and ambient light challenges, and you put that saved money into your sound system.

Theater 1.0- The Foreclosure Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...theater-4.html
Theater 2.0 under progress: The Big Daddy Theater. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html

Last edited by 3fingerbrown; 01-29-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page