• 2 Post By R Harkness

post #1 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Fabric Stretch Ceilings

Has anybody here installed or use acoustically transparent stretch fabric on their ceiling in their theater room? I can't find much on it, but it doesn't seem complicated. You install a track around the perimeter of the room, and stretch the fabric and use a took to secure it to the channel around the perimeter. I want to do this in my theater room to conceal treatments and atmos speakers. Where's a good place to get this stuff and is it something you can DIY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Haven't done it, but plan on doing it and will be monitoring responses to your thread.

I believe the Rob Hahn theater used this technique.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
Haven't done it, but plan on doing it and will be monitoring responses to your thread.

I believe the Rob Hahn theater used this technique.
Yes it does, that's where a lot of the inspiration comes from. I'm surprised it's not more popular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 623
I seem to recall that Amirm who used to post here had a showroom out on the west coast that used this as well. Don't remember the name of the business though.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Has anybody here installed or use acoustically transparent stretch fabric on their ceiling in their theater room? I can't find much on it, but it doesn't seem complicated. You install a track around the perimeter of the room, and stretch the fabric and use a took to secure it to the channel around the perimeter. I want to do this in my theater room to conceal treatments and atmos speakers. Where's a good place to get this stuff and is it something you can DIY?

YES!

I had a stretched fabric ceiling installed when I renovated my living room for home theater duty. Easily one of the best decisions I made in the whole design!

First, I chose a beautiful brown fabric that went nicely in the room and which, being fabric, is more non-reflective than even dark paint.

So it really works with a projection set up to combat light reflections from getting back to the screen.

Further, we were able to hide more room acoustic treatment behind the stretched fabric (we did a sort of build-down of the ceiling to accommodate both the pot lights and hiding acoustic material at strategic places).

When installed it looks perfectly smooth and flat. You wouldn't know it was fabric unless you looked really closely or were told about it. It's been great for movie watching and room acoustics.

I'm throwing in a photo where you can glimpse the ceiling.

(As for recommendations, I initially looked in to doing it myself but not being a handy-man I had a local company specializing in the treatment install for me).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4598.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	686.8 KB
ID:	2684650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4448.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	840.2 KB
ID:	2684652  
NotShorty and rfbrang like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
YES!

I had a stretched fabric ceiling installed when I renovated my living room for home theater duty. Easily one of the best decisions I made in the whole design!

First, I chose a beautiful brown fabric that went nicely in the room and which, being fabric, is more non-reflective than even dark paint.

So it really works with a projection set up to combat light reflections from getting back to the screen.

Further, we were able to hide more room acoustic treatment behind the stretched fabric (we did a sort of build-down of the ceiling to accommodate both the pot lights and hiding acoustic material at strategic places).

When installed it looks perfectly smooth and flat. You wouldn't know it was fabric unless you looked really closely or were told about it. It's been great for movie watching and room acoustics.

I'm throwing in a photo where you can glimpse the ceiling.

(As for recommendations, I initially looked in to doing it myself but not being a handy-man I had a local company specializing in the treatment install for me).
Looks great! This is definitely what I want to do. I'm surprised this isn't more popular, seems like the way to go for home theater. I'm DIY-ing my theater, but never having installed a fabric ceiling before, I may hire someone if I can find someone that does it. I can't seem to find any installers anywhere near me.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have considered this but none of the fabrics I’ve seen is wide enough to cover the whole ceiling and I thought the seams would be too visible if I used multiple rolls. Or is there a way around that?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
I have considered this but none of the fabrics I’️ve seen is wide enough to cover the whole ceiling and I thought the seams would be too visible if I used multiple rolls. Or is there a way around that?
They have companies that specialize in this exact thing it seems like and installs these ceilings. They seem to be popular for those that want to hide popcorn ceilings but don’t want to scrape all that stuff off their ceiling. I’m sure one of these companies can get whatever size necessary to cover an entire ceiling.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have not seen a large enough fabric for the whole ceiling. You might be able to check with a local theatre. GOM is 66" wide, so we intend to make 5'x9' frames which will split down the middle of our ceiling. Would be interested in a one piece solution if it has the same AT qualities of GOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
YES!

Really sad your build thread got screwed by photobucket. Seeing your space was an inspiration and eye opening what can be done with fabrics. HVAC info too.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
post #10 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
I have not seen a large enough fabric for the whole ceiling. You might be able to check with a local theatre. GOM is 66" wide, so we intend to make 5'x9' frames which will split down the middle of our ceiling. Would be interested in a one piece solution if it has the same AT qualities of GOM.
spandexworld.com has 120 inch wide matte spandex in black although they appear to currently be out of stock. Then you could do a single 10'x9' panel. I use this material in white for my AT diy screen.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Spandex sheen would shine like crazy. We used matte white over gray for our old screen.

Something like GOM is needed if ceiling treatments and atmos are being considered. Something like black velvet will absorb the light, but might kill the upper frequencies if too much is used.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This company is nearby me, I'll try and get in touch with them when I'm ready. Here's a brochure of the colors and materials they have.

https://newmatworld.com/headquarters...es_PDF_USA.pdf
post #13 of 16 Old 02-15-2020, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post

Really sad your build thread got screwed by photobucket. Seeing your space was an inspiration and eye opening what can be done with fabrics. HVAC info too.

Tell me about it!

I occasionally think about going back in to that thread and adding the photos again, but when I look at the number of missing photos (and the fact I'm having trouble finding them again), I find it too daunting and slink away.
post #14 of 16 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I hope to be doing this soon. I have no experience with either but these are better pricing than fabricmate.
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...-wide--260-335
https://acousticalwallfabric.com/tw-...-segment-9-90/
post #15 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
I have considered this but none of the fabrics I’ve seen is wide enough to cover the whole ceiling and I thought the seams would be too visible if I used multiple rolls. Or is there a way around that?
We have coffered ceilings so each section doesn't require more than the standard width for GOM.
post #16 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Rosebrand has many fabrics in wide widths. You might get a sample of this fabric which is available in 16Ft width and see if it has acceptable acoustic properties.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page