“The Bentonite” Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 320Likes

post #31 of 231 Old 03-19-2020, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
Am I forgetting anything? Do I need anything else?

So you all know what this means:

I hope to start getting drywall up tomorrow or Saturday and am worried I forgot to do something behind drywall. ATMOS boxes are in. I actually ran gray electrical pipe from box to box in case I ever needed to upgrade wires or??? Insulation is up. Internet wires are run in gray electrical pipe. All speaker wires will run through the soffits. HDMI and PJ power will run through the soffit. No PJ box at this time planned. All lights will be in the soffits. Trying to keep the holes in the walls and ceilings minimal. Is there anything else that I am missing??? I am nervous to put up drywall and have forgot to do something!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Smoke alarm? Its the one thing I forgot
Claybe likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema

Left over Supplies for Sale - For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 231 Old 03-19-2020, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Smoke alarm? Its the one thing I forgot
I will be using a wireless smoke detector that talks to all the others in the house, so no need for wires
pkinneb likes this.
post #33 of 231 Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It has begun...

6 other pieces of drywall hung today. Hopefully the rest of the 1st layer will be done tomorrow! Tool of the day = drywall lift! Toast to ye ole drywall lift!

skylarlove1999 and pkinneb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 231 Old 03-21-2020, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It’s happening. Hung 18 more pieces of Drywall today. Hope to have the first layer done tomorrow.

post #35 of 231 Old 03-21-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
It’s happening. Hung 18 more pieces of Drywall today. Hope to have the first layer done tomorrow.

Looking fantastic!!! You are a drywall hanging maniac!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Claybe likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #36 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 06:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6542 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
What are you planning to hang on the walls that resulted in installing a fullsheet of OSB as the first layer? Won't hurt anything.
post #37 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
What are you planning to hang on the walls that resulted in installing a fullsheet of OSB as the first layer? Won't hurt anything.
Not doing columns so will be hanging speakers directly on the walls and wanted to have a strong base to screw them into.
post #38 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 10:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Strong base would be an understatement.
post #39 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess I have a good day, then a bad day. Today was frustrating. Finished the window wall and the back wall. Also figured out how to run wires to the front. Then tried to work on the closet and it all went south so I stopped. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

pkinneb likes this.
post #40 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess I have a good day, then a bad day. Today was frustrating. Finished the window wall and the back wall. Also figured out how to run wires to the front. Then tried to work on the closet and it all went south so I stopped. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Slow and steady wins the race. Eyes on the prize. You will absolutely get there!!!

Claybe likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #41 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 05:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Sometimes divide and conquer is the best strategy. looks like you tried to do the ceiling of the closet in one piece. I would have done a couple at least.
Claybe likes this.
post #42 of 231 Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Sometimes divide and conquer is the best strategy. looks like you tried to do the ceiling of the closet in one piece. I would have done a couple at least.
You have a good eye! I was trying to eliminate seams. But I guess that doesn’t matter?!? That took about an hour and 18 cuts. And I am sure you see the frustration with the broken parts. Perseverance right?!? That’s when I decided to do something different and caulk the ceiling so I can at least move forward tomorrow with the second layer. I have the week off and want to get the DD GG done and start on the soffit. Hope it goes better tomorrow...
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #43 of 231 Old 03-23-2020, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am beginning to think something bad happened in this closet area! I took down the mangled piece and redid it 2 more times before getting it. It took me hours to finish it with messing up multiple times and I jacked up my back real good. Finally got it done and then counted drywall on hand and realized I needed more. Off to Lowe’s! Also ran out of green glue caulk. Called soundproofing co to order more and expressed I need to keep working. They said to just use painters caulk that remains flexible. So that’s what I did. I got the 60 year crack proof flexible caulk. Don’t know how that will affect things??? Tomorrow I will start all over again! Hopefully this time it won’t take me 4 days, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised. Sorry didn’t get any new pics today...
post #44 of 231 Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I've used this stuff from Lowe's. Big Stretch. It seems to be as flexible and as dense as Green Glue acoustic sealant when it's cured. The only downsides are that it's $6 a tube and apparently not available in the larger 30oz tubes.
Claybe and Ladeback like this.
post #45 of 231 Old 03-24-2020, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Day 5 of drywall was good. I hung 18 sheets today. Got the whole ceiling done and one of the walls plus another sheet on another wall. 13 more sheets to go tomorrow, but only if it is as successful as today. Hope to start on the soffit after that. I can’t imagine what the room will look like after all the drywall is gone. That pile as been there for a year!!!

Here’s the closet from yesterday.

And a shot of where I ended up today.

And the required green glue shot.

post #46 of 231 Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Day 6. Was okay. Got the front wall (window wall) done and the other side wall as well as the rear wall. Put up the first wall outside the closet and realized I hadn’t run power or the hdmi cable to the soffit. Off it comes. Then started in on the closet after working about 8 hours (read was exhausted). Went easier today but forgot that the main drain line was behind the drywall and started to screw the drywall in. It didn’t feel like I hit the pipe but I am nervous I did so I am going to cut out a portion of the drywall out tomorrow and check. Don’t know what I will do if I drilled a hole in the pipe??? Man this closet is cursed! Nothing has gone easy in the closet! Also got my server rack today and went to measure the closet to make sure the server rack would fit and my measurements were 4 inches off because I had to drop the ceiling further than I expected due to changing the design to match the bottom of the soffit. Ugh! I guess that’s what you get for changing on the fly. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow. I have 4 very small pieces and 2 biggish pieces still to cut and hang. Then on to the soffits. I have the utmost respect for all of you who have tackled doing this yourselves!!!
post #47 of 231 Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Day 7 of drywall and DONE with DD GG hopefully for a long, long time! I started today by cutting out drywall to see if I hit the main pipe. There was one tiny dimple, so that was a victory. Then, I finished all the remaining pieces but used scraps so it took a bit longer. Then caulked the entire room and brought in all the soffit materials for tomorrow. After 7 days straight I thought I could stop after only 7 hours of work today! Tomorrow I hope to start installing the soffits. I only have 3 more days off before I am back to work - what a way to spend a week off...working harder at home than I do at actual work! I hope to have the soffits built and then will have to run the raceways for all speakers and drywall the soffits at night all next week. Then mudding and taping which I hope to hire out. Then the riser, then...., then....hope to be watching movies by Memorial Day weekend...

wxchaser and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #48 of 231 Old 03-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Good work Clay - way to fight through the niggling problems.

With all that is going on with corona virus - living vicariously through your hard working updates!

You may be done by Easter at this rate.
skylarlove1999 and Claybe like this.
post #49 of 231 Old 03-27-2020, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today was soffit framing day. I originally had planned to build very small 12” soffits but when I started putting them up it didn’t look right. So I bumped out to the next channel and I think this looks much better. They will end up being 22.5” after it is all done. This also will cause several other issues like moving hvac and needing more support for sheets of drywall near the front of the room, so hopefully I can figure it all out tomorrow along with placement of all the outlets I am installing for speakers (all wires run through the soffits). Lots to figure out tomorrow before starting to finish the soffits with drywall...

pkinneb likes this.
post #50 of 231 Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Today was soffit framing day. I originally had planned to build very small 12” soffits but when I started putting them up it didn’t look right. So I bumped out to the next channel and I think this looks much better. They will end up being 22.5” after it is all done. This also will cause several other issues like moving hvac and needing more support for sheets of drywall near the front of the room, so hopefully I can figure it all out tomorrow along with placement of all the outlets I am installing for speakers (all wires run through the soffits). Lots to figure out tomorrow before starting to finish the soffits with drywall...

Looks like you've been putting in a lot of hard work. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

Claybe likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #51 of 231 Old 03-28-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today was about getting the soffits ready to hang the remaining drywall. I have a few questions...1. How would you guys fill this hole.

2. Am I supposed to fill the soffits with pink fluffy insulation? I have enough.

Here is what I did today...
Raceways to front for speaker wires from closet in the back. Also hung surround speaker wire boxes and ran pipe to all of those.

Built more stringers to hang drywall from in the front of the room. This area is larger due to the screen wall and speakers.

More surround and rear wire boxes hung and speaker wire run.

Hopefully I can start soffit drywall tomorrow.

pkinneb likes this.
post #52 of 231 Old 03-28-2020, 05:24 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'd cut a strip of drywall with a couple of notches and fit over the two conduit, Then slather acoustical caulk all over the area
Yes, fill the soffit with insulation to mitigate any resonances.
Claybe likes this.
post #53 of 231 Old 03-28-2020, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 233
For filling the hole, generous use of Duct Seal (in the electrical section) stuffed around the conduit before patching with pieces of drywall is what I've done. My thinking is that the Duct Seal adds mass, and helps fill the voids. Also, I had some on hand already.
Claybe likes this.
post #54 of 231 Old 03-28-2020, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Nice work. Keep it up! I completely sympathize with small tasks that take forever to complete... that happened to me regularly on my build. I had to keep reminding myself that despite my best efforts I am not going to be able to think of everything. Mistakes will be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Claybe likes this.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A2070, 1 Totem Tribe III, 4 x Totem Tribe II, 2 x Totem Tribe I, 2 x SVS PB2000, 4 x Beale Street In-ceiling
post #55 of 231 Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Last day working on the theater for a while. Day 10 in a row of 8+ hour days. I hope to work at night this week to get the last few things buttoned up before mud, tape, and texture (which I hope to get hired out as I hate that part!). I will be at the mercy of the mud guy from this point forward. Couple of questions...
Does anyone have recommendations for lights? They need to be dimmable as I hope to incorporate a hub to be controlled by the media players.
My soffits are only 6”. I wanted to put up crown molding and have LEDs in the crown molding. Will this be possible?

I hope to keep working on weekends too...more to come...

post #56 of 231 Old 03-30-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
@Claybe , I have thought of using Philips Hue lights and I found these on Amazon that look interesting. The price doesn't seem to bad and you can use your phone to operate them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W5F4SM5...v_ov_lig_dp_it
skylarlove1999 and Claybe like this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #57 of 231 Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HT lighting

I posted over in the home automation but never really figured out what to do. What I want is to push play and the lights dim to off. When I hit pause I want them to come up to 50%. When I hit stop full lights. How is this possible on a budget?
post #58 of 231 Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
I posted over in the home automation but never really figured out what to do. What I want is to push play and the lights dim to off. When I hit pause I want them to come up to 50%. When I hit stop full lights. How is this possible on a budget?
You might be able to set up macro's on a Logitech Harmony remote. I have the Ultimate in my living room and when press a button that says Watch TV it turns everything on. You should be able to set other things on it. It works with all types of hubs to it just needs to learn what is in your system. You could also probably just get the Harmony hub and use the app on your phone or tablet to control your devices.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub

If you want a real sophisticated system Control4 is nice, but pricey and has to be program by a dealer.

https://www.control4.com/
Claybe likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #59 of 231 Old 04-04-2020, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lights and finishing Drywall...

Had to help my daughters build a hamster cage and then got to work on the theater.

This is what the 13 lights will look like!

pkinneb likes this.
post #60 of 231 Old 04-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Man you are flying through this build. Making changes and adapting on the fly. Asking questions I’ve got (like insulation in soffits). Keep it up!

What are you planning to do for ventilation? I can’t recall that you came up with a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page