Introducing the Tower of Terror Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 1 Post By orangele
  • 2 Post By orangele
  • 2 Post By orangele
  • 1 Post By CaptainChunk
  • 1 Post By impreza276
  • 1 Post By jeremyhelling
  • 2 Post By jason4vu
  • 1 Post By jmilleril
  • 1 Post By jeremyhelling
  • 1 Post By orangele
  • 1 Post By dlinsley

post #1 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Introducing the Tower of Terror Theater

So this post is really more about the exterior theming of my home theater than the interior of the theater. When I purchased my home, there was an unused "bonus room" which was converted to a home theater. Years passed and I decided to theme the exterior of the theater after the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Disney ride; more specifically the Basement elevator ride entrance. A range of special effects have been added and continue including simulated rain thunder and lightning, an electrical short circuit and fire in an electrical junction box, a boiler room steam pipe burst, an automated elevator dial and motorized "elevator door" and many other effects and props, including a "holographic" recreation of Rod Serling who was the inspiration for the Disney Ride and created the Twilight Zone. This digital recreation will be projected as a "holographic" image inside the theater eventually. The complete video history of the project is available on the Youtube Channel, the Tower of Terror Theater if you are interested and linked below, as well as a links to the current state of the project, and the holographic recreation of Serling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcT...?v=MIsjYJwOXSU
BllDo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the current state of the special effects. Click on the "You Tube" TAB and NOT the play button.

impreza276 and Jive Turkey like this.

Last edited by orangele; 02-26-2020 at 06:27 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

So this video was created by hiring a professional performer to dress like, and mouth a narration recorded for the project by Mark Silverman. Mr. Silverman is the voice talent who impersonates Serling in the actual Tower of Terror ride. Then the performers face was used as a movement model for the digital recreation of Rod Serling's face based on the scan of many thousands of images harvested from the internet (Deepfake). We will be incorporating this video (as well as additional deepfake video and narration) projected as a "hologram," inside the theater in two places in the automated special effects scene planned for the theater.

Here is the initial "holographic" projection test inside the theater; work in progress as Serling was 5"4" in life and appears considerably shorter than that currently.
OJ Bartley and tookoolkris like this.

Last edited by orangele; 03-01-2020 at 04:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 389
This is super cool, glad I saw this today!

One thing that I've seen recently that you might want to take a look at is the Lightform lf2 or lfk, which depending on which you get are an AR projector or can turn existing projector into AR projector. Might be fun to incorporate some added interaction when projecting onto the door. Might not too, it's just what it immediately reminded me of.

While this thread is to highlight the entrance, I'm still curious what the inside is looking like, or will look like?
post #5 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Amazing! I hope to some similar things in our theater. I'm going to have lots of questions for you.
orangele likes this.

Currently building the Quarterdeck Club
post #6 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just that hologram was probably $4k.

Must be nice having the funds to throw at your passion projects like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 866
That is amazing. Out of this world!
orangele likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Very cool. Lots of time and effort clearly went into this and it's clearly a labor of love. Thanks for sharing.

I'm by no means qualified to critique from a technical standpoint but, as an average person experiencing this the way an average person might, is there a way to cover the back side of that grate during the door projection sequence? Might make it easier to see the projection unless that was the intended result in which case it zipped right over my head. lol
orangele likes this.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #9 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 416
This is awesome. Glad to be along for the ride.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-28-2020, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Ok...this is amazing! Very well done and about the best thing I've seen on the forum. Of course I'm a fan of the ride at Hollywood Studios.
orangele and Jive Turkey like this.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-29-2020, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
WOW. I see home theater of the month in your future!
orangele likes this.

Paradigm 11se mk3, Paradigm Studio Monitor 100 original version with matching center, 5 Adcom 565's, 2 Adcom 585's, 4 Adcom 555's, HK PT2300, Acurus ACT3, 6 Wharfedale Sapphire 89's with dual 6" woofers, 6" mid, and 1".
Home Theater build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html
post #12 of 21 Old 03-01-2020, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
Very cool. Lots of time and effort clearly went into this and it's clearly a labor of love. Thanks for sharing.

I'm by no means qualified to critique from a technical standpoint but, as an average person experiencing this the way an average person might, is there a way to cover the back side of that grate during the door projection sequence? Might make it easier to see the projection unless that was the intended result in which case it zipped right over my head. lol
The visibility of the "door grate" is almost entirely based on the light reflecting off it from the viewers side. In the particular video linked above, I essentially kept the viewers side ceiling lights on, which meant more light reflected off the vinyl wrap printed image of the "grate." In the similar video shot with the overhead lights off on the viewer side linked below, the grate is much less visible. The video shown through the door is a work in progress. I do indeed realize that the current video is kind of difficult to see/interpret. Should have a much better quality higher resolution, wide angle, portrait mode video shortly.

Last edited by orangele; 03-01-2020 at 04:29 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-01-2020, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
This is super cool, glad I saw this today!

One thing that I've seen recently that you might want to take a look at is the Lightform lf2 or lfk, which depending on which you get are an AR projector or can turn existing projector into AR projector. Might be fun to incorporate some added interaction when projecting onto the door. Might not too, it's just what it immediately reminded me of.

While this thread is to highlight the entrance, I'm still curious what the inside is looking like, or will look like?
Well indeed I actually have been trying to incorporate a lightform into the scene with the intention to project images onto the "elevator doors." If you look on the still image on the first video linked above in the post, you can actually see a white projector sitting on the bar with a lightform scanner taped on top with red tape since I was attempting to scan the front of the set. I have been unsuccessful in obtaining a scan yet however. I will certainly be working on it in the coming weeks and months.

Here is the theater inside the "elevator doors."

As you can see I did limit the Tower of Terror theming to the outside of the theater, although the Twilight Zone pinball machine can be seen in the corner which probably originally seeded the idea for this project in my warped mind.

Last edited by orangele; 03-01-2020 at 04:02 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-01-2020, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osifer View Post
Just that hologram was probably $4k.

Must be nice having the funds to throw at your passion projects like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completing this project is probably one of the major motivations to push my tired old body to continue to work at this stage in my life.

Last edited by orangele; 03-01-2020 at 04:08 AM.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangele View Post
The visibility of the "door grate" is almost entirely based on the light reflecting off it from the viewers side. In the particular video linked above, I essentially kept the viewers side ceiling lights on, which meant more light reflected off the vinyl wrap printed image of the "grate." In the similar video shot with the overhead lights off on the viewer side linked below, the grate is much less visible. The video shown through the door is a work in progress. I do indeed realize that the current video is kind of difficult to see/interpret. Should have a much better quality higher resolution, wide angle, portrait mode video shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwQhehatIk&t=46s
I see. Makes perfect sense. Very cool.
orangele likes this.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #16 of 21 Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Saw your videos while you were developing it. Great idea and inspiring execution. My wife and I have joked about doing some Disney Imagineer recreations but our interest is in the elevator ceiling in the Haunted Mansion and the mirror entrance to Enchanted Tales with Belle.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-02-2020, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Saw your videos while you were developing it. Great idea and inspiring execution. My wife and I have joked about doing some Disney Imagineer recreations but our interest is in the elevator ceiling in the Haunted Mansion and the mirror entrance to Enchanted Tales with Belle.
Not familiar with Enchanted Tales, but would love to see a recreation of the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion!
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-03-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Not familiar with Enchanted Tales, but would love to see a recreation of the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion!
I was interested specifically in the fabric ceiling that become translucent when lit from behind to show the skylight and macabre scene. I would try to put a television behind fabric to play a scene through, but I think the effect is so strong at Disney because it is real 3d space above it.

The mirror trick is a large mirror hanging on the wall that expands while you are looking at it to become the size of a door, then becomes an open door you actually walk through. It is dazzling to witness. First link that came up:

post #19 of 21 Old 03-03-2020, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I was interested specifically in the fabric ceiling that become translucent when lit from behind to show the skylight and macabre scene. I would try to put a television behind fabric to play a scene through, but I think the effect is so strong at Disney because it is real 3d space above it.

The mirror trick is a large mirror hanging on the wall that expands while you are looking at it to become the size of a door, then becomes an open door you actually walk through. It is dazzling to witness. First link that came up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtH1kUB-hAU
Yes the effect is quite cool. Looks like some augmented reality projection, and expanding frame, and retractable scrim projection surface inside the frame.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-05-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Completing this project is probably one of the major motivations to push my tired old body to continue to work at this stage in my life.
So no plans to tear it down and rebrand as Guardians of the Galaxy?

Congratulations!
orangele likes this.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-06-2020, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
So no plans to tear it down and rebrand as Guardians of the Galaxy?

Congratulations!
No not yet; I am going to wait til I have a loyal fan base until I re-theme, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
tower of terror theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page