• 1 Post By rfbrang
  • 1 Post By rfbrang

post #1 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
3 or 4 chairs per row

So i will be starting my 2 dedicated theater in a new home we are building....eta still 5 months from completion. 😞
I learned a lot from the last build and hope to improve on it substantially this time go round. One dilemma I'm having a hard time deciding on is do i cram 4 seats per row or keep it like designed with only three and an isle on both sides. Entrance to the theater will be from the rear corner. The finished build width is about 14’. What do you guys think will look better?...3 or 4 wide with only one isle and the 4th against the wall.

Also, it’s Just the two of us Now but we have 5 kids that visit often but not at the same time. There will be a bar at the rear as well with an additional 4 seats for party’s.Click image for larger version

Name:	681F2243-8653-4B09-99D4-6E2624CF371A_1582763109267.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	2690646
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1

My first thought is it would make the room out of balance but maybe not????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC+Marantz+Emotiva+Bryston= BLISS
post #3 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosee View Post

My first thought is it would make the room out of balance but maybe not????

Lookin' good! I prefer sitting dead center, so I'd go with three seats per row, so at least two people can get those center sweet spots.
LydMekk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 677
It looks to me like the 2nd seat per row is in about the center of the room width, so you have a center seat either way....

The 4th seats up against the right wall will have compromised audio. How compromised will depend upon your speaker placement and dispersion pattern, room treatments, etc.

In my room I had little choice (small room, must seat 6) and ended up with 2 seats against the walls like your 8 seat rendering. Given dome tweeters with wide dispersion, the audio is not nearly as terrible as conventional wisdom would have you think. It's not perfect, but in testing nobody had anything bad to say about those two seats.

So to me it is a question of, do you really need those two seats? Or do you really need two aisles? Which do you prefer?

Here's a plan view rendering and an old pic from when I was testing sight lines with the seats -

SLM44 and rfbrang like this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #5 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

So i don’t need two isles... and i guess it would be nice to have two extra seats for parties...... I guess my answer is 4 per row then.

I’ll be using all DIY speakers with compression tweeters and wave guides. HTM-10 for surrounds and most likely a double woofer version of the Titans for LCR behind the screen. Still debating a few other decisions to be made about subs too. I’ll put 8- 10”woofers for TR in the risers under or behind seats. Most likely going to go with 4-18”or 21” Subs as well and I’m contemplating putting them in different locations. I can tackle placement after the room is constructed but probably 2 behind screen and 2 under stairs or in rear room. If i do 18’s I may put them all up front.

post #6 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM44 View Post
So i don’t need two isles... and i guess it would be nice to have two extra seats for parties...... I guess my answer is 4 per row then.

I’ll be using all DIY speakers with compression tweeters and wave guides. HTM-10 for surrounds and most likely a double woofer version of the Titans for LCR behind the screen. Still debating a few other decisions to be made about subs too. I’ll put 8- 10”woofers for TR in the risers under or behind seats. Most likely going to go with 4-18”or 21” Subs as well and I’m contemplating putting them in different locations. I can tackle placement after the room is constructed but probably 2 behind screen and 2 under stairs or in rear room. If i do 18’s I may put them all up front.

One thing that jumps out to me is that your front row is almost in the direct center of the room, when doing research for my room I was advised that is not a good thing.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema

Left over Supplies for Sale - For Sale
post #7 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
3 or 4 chairs per row

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
One thing that jumps out to me is that your front row is almost in the direct center of the room, when doing research for my room I was advised that is not a good thing.

Not sure what your suggesting. Front row is in the second third of room and the 3 row is in the last third. Not that I’m an expert or anything, but these are the easiest placements to be able to deal with 1st and 2nd reflections with treatment at the first third of the room and at the middle.

JVC+Marantz+Emotiva+Bryston= BLISS

Last edited by Moosee; 02-27-2020 at 10:14 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Try the Harman website here: https://www.harman.com/search-result...e%20calculator

The link with the spreadsheet that says dan siefert is a zip file. It tells you where there are peaks and nulls.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
post #9 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosee View Post
Not sure what your suggesting. Front row is in the second third of room and the 3 row is in the last third. Not that I’m an expert or anything, but these are the easiest placements to be able to deal with 1st and 2nd reflections with treatment at the first third of the room and at the middle.
My assumption is the speakers are even with the front of the screen that puts the front row seats at 11' in a 22' room but maybe I'm miss reading the diagram.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema

Left over Supplies for Sale - For Sale
post #10 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
My assumption is the speakers are even with the front of the screen that puts the front row seats at 11' in a 22' room but maybe I'm miss reading the diagram.
Here is how the room shows in the calculation.

My front row will be 10’6” back from screen and 13’4” from front wall. The second row will be 6’6” back from that. Looking at the spreadsheet, looks like I’m almost in the sweet spot, unless I’m missing something?

post #11 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Also, these room Dimensions are almost identical to my old theater with the exception of it being 1 foot longer, and easier to access. Also, i might consider putting some subs under the stairway or behind in equipment room some how. It’s a room within a room, so I’ll have to get creative with the framing I’m sure.
The only other thing thats different is I’m going to use more surrounds for the sides of the room. That was the only thing really lacking from front row last time.

post #12 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

to much??? I think I might i un stack the subs and put here...

post #13 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Another thought is to use three seats so you have room to add diffusion/treatments on the walls.

Our Old Space
New House
post #14 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
Another thought is to use three seats so you have room to add diffusion/treatments on the walls.

LOL...Hence the title of the thread...3 or 4 chairs per row? That’s the question! Probably no need for diffusion on the side walls in my room anyways, It will have some at the rear however. Mostly absorption at the side 1&2 I’m thinking .

post #15 of 18 Old 03-03-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Foundation is poured and i have final dimensions...
I will only be going 3 wide per row because the room is actually 7in. Narrower than i thought. I was able to come up with a great entrance to the theater however, because i have a little extra length. What are your guys thoughts on the layout. Would you do anything differently? They gray walls are all load baring or foundation walls so they can’t be moved, other wise, I’m open for suggestions.... still 4 months away to make up my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 18 Old 03-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Interested to see how the length works out for you.We are at 23' 9" long and I figured I would swap out cheaper 2nd row seats for a bar row once the kids are older.

Much better door placement. The stairs are an issue for us. I followed Brolic Beast's example and added sheetrock between the bays supporting the stairs. If you have load baring walls or laminated beams overhead, talk with your builder about any limits.

Are you soundproofing? Check with the architect/builder about the load capacity of your joists. I am worried about ours and have a friend who will check it out for me if he ever gets free. Two layers of sheetrock between joists, two layers on clips and channel, and a lightweight ceiling cloud.

Ask about total load and live weight limits too.
SLM44 likes this.

Our Old Space
New House
post #17 of 18 Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

3 or 4 chairs per row

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
Interested to see how the length works out for you.We are at 23' 9" long and I figured I would swap out cheaper 2nd row seats for a bar row once the kids are older.

Much better door placement. The stairs are an issue for us. I followed Brolic Beast's example and added sheetrock between the bays supporting the stairs. If you have load baring walls or laminated beams overhead, talk with your builder about any limits.

Are you soundproofing? Check with the architect/builder about the load capacity of your joists. I am worried about ours and have a friend who will check it out for me if he ever gets free. Two layers of sheetrock between joists, two layers on clips and channel, and a lightweight ceiling cloud.

Ask about total load and live weight limits too.

No issues with any beams. All TJI’s run side to side and with the 14”TJI’s i should be good to go for DD on hat channel. My first thought was to do a complete room within a room, but with the narrowing of the room I’ll just use Clips and channels instead. Ceilings are 9’1”, soffits drop 10” and back riser will be 7” high, so that still gives me pretty good headroom. I’m 6’4” so I was concerned about entering the room on the riser with soffits. I might scale back the rear soffit and just hang the Projector in front of it....It might make the room feel closed in if i don’t.

Last edited by SLM44; 03-03-2020 at 09:46 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM44 View Post
No issues with any beams. All TJI’s run side to side and with the 14”TJI’s i should be good to go for DD on hat channel. My first thought was to do a complete room within a room, but with the narrowing of the room I’ll just use Clips and channels instead. Ceilings are 9’1”, soffits drop 10” and back riser will be 7” high, so that still gives me pretty good headroom. I’m 6’4” so I was concerned about entering the room on the riser with soffits. I might scale back the rear soffit and just hang the Projector in front of it....It might make the room feel closed in if i don’t.

IB-3 clips for the walls if they are not load bearing save $ on the clips. Can attach two layers of sheetrock with GG directly to the studs. Clips and channel just for the ceiling. Rubber under the bottom plate.
SLM44 likes this.

Our Old Space
New House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page