• 1 Post By schwock5

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2020, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Basic Basement Theater Build

Finally starting my own thread on this for my basement theater build.

Moved into a new house (vertical split condo) so half the basement is ours.
Soundproofing is paramount as sound travels very easily throughout the space and don't want to disturb the neighbors that share the wall.
Kitchen is directly above us and don't want to shake/rattle the glasses either lol.

So far i've had a plumber move the hot water tank to make some more room and his final task is creating a new valve and moving a few water lines so i can more easily close up the ceiling without any access panels leaving all valves outside the room.

HVAC has moved the existing duct which was running in the middle of the room under the joists to the end so the ceiling can be raised and a soffit built.
Getting very close to framing, and i've had a few emails back and forth with Ted from SoundproofingCompany.
Opening this up to the larger hive mind for potential ideas / directions i may not have considered.

I've attached a rough sketch of the current plan.
For a long time the layout was flipped with the TV on the right wall, this allowed the couch to face the door and wouldn't make the room seem so "closed off" when you walked in.
However, this leads to a few problems:
1. the eastern wall currently is already framed (separates the other unit). we took down the dry wall, and there's good insulation, however, the wall sits about 2 inches recessed.
Along the wall are steel pipes (support beams) where the wall sort of goes to the center of this pipes so 2 inches stick out. Ted advised to build a second wall, however, if i have a 2 inch gap, then another wall, i'd be losing 6-8 inches. Perhaps the easiest / best solution for this wall is to just use clips / hat channel which will then allow the drywall to sit directly on the other side of the pipes.
2. If the TV is on this wall, then if the door (orange line) opens in it will hit my speakers. Door currently does not exist.
if we make the door open out, then walking in you'd probably walk right into speakers as well.
3. About 2-3 feet from the western wall running north/south in the photo are a lot of gas lines/HVAC lines/etc.
this causes issues for putting atmos in on the left wall. there's also a high up window on the left wall, and given the height of the ceiling this back area may be angled up towards the corner, so aligning the room the way i have mocked below allows much easier atmos install.
These are the reasons i've currently settled on the attached layout (but again, open to suggestions).

Also, currently my surrounds are Klipsch RS-35s. given the tight space and being able to walk and not bang your head on them or into them, these may eventually need to be turned into in-wall.
perhaps during construction backer boxes can be built in those areas for quick / future in-wall installation if needed.

the left side wall is currently concrete, so walls can be build with IB-3 decoupling clips and then i wouldn't need isolation clips/hat chanel and can mount the TV more easily on that wall.

The southern wall like the eastern wall again was already built to separate the units and has insulation ready to go as well, we removed the drywall to see what we were working with and this wall can just be clips / hat channel / DD+GG.

The northern wall again can be cIB-3 clips and then straight DD+GG with no hat channel/clips.

The blue rectangle will be a bar i will be building, and a thick curtain over it for when watching movies then can easily be moved for more lounging / game night.
the thick blue lines by that area are the walls we would build.
the blue circle is a drainage pipe coming down from the ceiling into the ground (so framing around that with an access panel within the bar).

TV is a Sony 75" z9d for all purpose gaming/3D/TV/movies. seating distance will be around 7ft.
Remaining setup is in the signature.

Looking for any feedback / advice / thoughts before moving forward with things that will bet too expensive to undo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Current plan.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	2693348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_115330.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	2693394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_115310.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	677.2 KB
ID:	2693396   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_115320.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	680.5 KB
ID:	2693398   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_115338.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	611.8 KB
ID:	2693404  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_115408.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	830.3 KB
ID:	2693406  

EYES: Sony 75z9d
EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
BRAIN: Marantz 8012
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)

Last edited by schwock5; 03-04-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2020, 03:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6678 Post(s)
Liked: 6559
Just a reality check if you are sharing framed walls with other units and use insulation, clips, channel, double layers of 5/8 DW with GG. It will not be 100% dead quiet when you are listening to the soundtrack of most action/drama movies. There isn’t even a reasonable method to achieve 100% I could recommend.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2020, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Understood. Luckily the other side of the wall is their basement. As long as it's not terrible going through that wall into their side and then through the cieling to their living area. Ted said I dodbt need to worry about MSL, but I want to make sure before I close anything up that I've got it in a good spot.

Once framing is done I'll try and do a sound test to see what the DB rating difference is on their side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any advice on a solid core door to use for the entrance?
Not looking to break the bank, but value/effective. Want to have something lined up so my framer knows what we're working with

EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Plumbing is officially done / all edits / adjustments are complete so no shutoffs remain in the room.
After speaking with Ted White i ordered some supplies that have already arrived and framing will begin Thursday!

Looking forward to seeing some true progress.
pkinneb likes this.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HVAC is done, final framing this week since we had to do a slight HVAC re-route and also tuck some refrigerant lines within where a gas line/water line are to have a quick easy box in for the ceiling to contain everything.

any advice on wrapping the HVAC before building a soffit?
Also, i bought metal enclosures for the atmos speakers and the 2 in-walls i will need, can i potentially build a 5/8 + GG drywall shells around that or should the boxes be enough or can i wrap them in something else to help the cause?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page