Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 03-11-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Gimmepilotwings build thread

I am in the planning stage of my theater build/basement finishing. The house is being built and I have roughly 4-8 weeks before I can move in and start work. I have a finite budget for the entire basement. I would like to save as much as I can towards the actual home theater portion. It is about 1200 sqft. It is completely unfinished. There is some insulation on the outside walls, I assume due to code in Colorado.

Some pictures include a plot plan that includes some dimensions, a floor plan that can be modified. None of the walls are built except for the utility closet. There are also some pics of the place and a video I can share if requested.

Requirements:

1. There must be one bedroom downstairs. I have planned this for the NW corner of the basement. This is not moving, but the size of it can.
2. There must be one bathroom as well. The plumbing is already in place, and I do not want to do move it due to the expenses involved.

Sound requirements:

I would like to soundproof the home theater as much as possible. Where I want to place the theater will have 3 concrete walls and an open area currently that is open to the rest of the basement. I have not determined the exact size of the home theater, but it will be placed in the SW corner of the basement. That corner is ideal in the fact that it has no windows, three sides that are concrete walls, and is located beneath a guest bedroom that will not be used very often. I would like to keep the sound from traveling upstairs as much as I can. It isn't a big concern if sound travels from outside of the home theater, and into the rest of the basement. With that said, I will be likely be installing clips, DD, GG across the entire ceiling to help with this.

Random Thoughts/Problems:

I will try to do some of the work myself to cut cost. (Some framing, insulation, running cables etc. while leaving things like HVAC, plumbing, and electrical connections to the experts)

The ceilings are 9' tall across the entire basement. However, there are metal I-joists placed in various places across the basement for load bearing about 12-14' below that 9 feet level. Trying to decide if I am going to lose that space and lower the ceilings to around 8' or if there is a way to work around it.

Questions:

I was going to ask a lot of these questions in the soundproofing thread, but I wanted to start my own theater thread first...

Do I need to do much soundproofing on the rest of the basement that will not be the home theater? Flanking is a concern. Only really worried about sound traveling upstairs. Do I need to use backer boxes across the entire basement, or only in the theater portion?

I haven't pulled up the insulation that is currently attached to the concrete walls to see if there is a gap in between, or if it is attached directly to the concrete. If it is attached, do I need to yank it out everywhere to leave a 1/2" gap? Should I only yank it out in the theater?

There is a sump pump in the SW corner of the basement where I would like to place the theater. Should I move the screen forward? How do I soundproof that? Do I even need to, since it is in the concrete slab and we should only hear sound from it if the basement floods?

There is also a set of pipes for a radon mitigation system. Should I insulate around it and build a soffit?

I will have a ton of questions about different equipment to purchase, where to place the AV gear, etc. but thought I would get started here.

Any kind of help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement ideas.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	2696476   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement picture.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2696486   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater area.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2696488  

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 03-11-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-11-2020, 02:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6543 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
my biggest concern with this space is if your are planning on erecting framed walls what is left for room width in the narrow section?
post #3 of 42 Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
my biggest concern with this space is if your are planning on erecting framed walls what is left for room width in the narrow section?
Thank you so much for your reply. I have read a lot of what you posted in the soundproofing thread.
(I'm about 90 pages in)

The narrow section as is, is 13' across. If the framing that is around the three concrete walls is away from the walls by an inch or two, then all I would need to do would be to install clips, channel, DD and GG taking up a few inches on either side leaving about 12', right? I know it isn't ideal and I wish that I had a few more feet to work with, but it is what it is. I will only be entertaining sporadically, and I won't need more than 5 or 6 seats total, so the width, while not ideal is doable.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 372 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Hi.....

This is what I'd call a Pocket Theater. Essentially a Niche that needs filling.

Such a confined area calls for a Screen Wall. It certainly doesn't call for an excessively built out Audio system. Judicious choices made to co-exist with a sensible Plan is what are needed going forward from this point.

Acoustic Insulation / Isolation....and how extreme it needs to be determines both method and cost. In a Room that will wind up being at best 12'-4" wide....and with 2 Rows of Seats that means having a depth in excess of 18', serious consideration must be given as to what can be and should be done....and what to avoid trying to do. Enclosing the space is of paramount need...otherwise you can forget about any serious attempt at both sound quality and acoustic considerations...the later involving both sound heard and sound transfer'ed.

I'll come back later this evening with Top View and Side elevation drawings that address the most important aspects, including Framing.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 42 Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Hi.....

This is what I'd call a Pocket Theater. Essentially a Niche that needs filling.

Such a confined area calls for a Screen Wall. It certainly doesn't call for an excessively built out Audio system. Judicious choices made to co-exist with a sensible Plan is what are needed going forward from this point.

Acoustic Insulation / Isolation....and how extreme it needs to be determines both method and cost. In a Room that will wind up being at best 12'-4" wide....and with 2 Rows of Seats that means having a depth in excess of 18', serious consideration must be given as to what can be and should be done....and what to avoid trying to do. Enclosing the space is of paramount need...otherwise you can forget about any serious attempt at both sound quality and acoustic considerations...the later involving both sound heard and sound transfer'ed.

I'll come back later this evening with Top View and Side elevation drawings that address the most important aspects, including Framing.
Thanks. I appreciate why advice that you would want to give. I don't mind it being a pocket theater per se. Like I mentioned before, I'm not building it to entertain; I'm building it for me. I

I can definitely afford to add length to the room, in place of the width. That entire side of the house is unfinished and can be extended 20-25' if necessary or more.

I am a bang for the buck kind of guy.

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 03-11-2020 at 04:53 PM.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-13-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 984
What's the plumbing stubouts look like? I wonder if there's any wiggle room to play with the bathroom depth and orientation?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement ideas -y.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2697258   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement ideas -x.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	2697260  
post #7 of 42 Old 03-18-2020, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
What's the plumbing stubouts look like? I wonder if there's any wiggle room to play with the bathroom depth and orientation?
Thank you for the reply. Life is pretty crazy right now.

I don't think there is a lot of room to play with the bathroom area. My biggest concern is the cost of ripping up the concrete and re-doing the plumbing. If it costs a few thousand dollars to do that, well that money could be used on speakers instead.

I have verified with the builder that the three walls in the proposed theater area are floating walls so it is already decoupled on 3 sides, which is great news for me. I will need to build a 4th wall, and the ceiling.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the ceiling?

I hadn't considered putting the office deep in that corner. I figured since the walls were decoupled and being 6 inches thick on concrete, it would save money elsewhere. However, one thing that I didn't mention is that there would be one window on the outside wall that I didn't draw up that would have to be addressed. Yet another reason I was considering the space I was.
I will have to consider this and see how that would affect my budget.

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 03-18-2020 at 11:04 AM.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-18-2020, 12:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Floating walls are not decoupled from the ceiling/floor joists and they will conduct vibration (sound) to the floor above. Due to the nature of how firmly they are attached they may be more efficient at transferring vibration than walls standing firmly on the concrete below. If you you want to isolate the walls/ceiling you will need to mount the drywall on a clip and channel system. Two layers of 5/8 with Green Glue dampening.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 03-18-2020 at 02:02 PM.
post #9 of 42 Old 03-18-2020, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Floating walls are not decoupled from the ceiling/floor joists and they will conduct vibration (sound) to the floor above. Due to the nature of how firmly they are attached they may be more efficient at transferring vibration than walls standing firmly on the concrete below. If you you want to isolate the walls/ceiling you will need to mount the drywall on a clip and channel system. Two layers of 5/8 with Green Glue dampening.
Of course they aren't decoupled from the floor. They have to be attached to something right?

I definitely plan on doing the clip, DD, GG etc. at least in the room where the theater will be. I hoping to avoid that in the rest of the basement, but will do that at least on the ceiling if necessary.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-18-2020, 04:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

floating walls for expansive soil issues are hung from the floor joists above and hover above the concrete, I can see them in your one picture. They present a real challenge in sound proofing the walls as the drywall usually can't extend to the floor leaving a big gap. A few guys have used a couple layers of MLV mass loaded vinyl to seal that gap and hope for the best. That one wall to the left of the pole in your picture appears unfinished no bottom plate and spikes and I can't make out if there are spikes in the other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3c2a713c3d1efc8343fd98c0af482236.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	868.5 KB
ID:	2699454   Click image for larger version

Name:	floatingwalls2.gif
Views:	74
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2699456   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement picture (2).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	2699460  
da1duc likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 03-18-2020 at 05:14 PM.
post #11 of 42 Old 03-19-2020, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
floating walls for expansive soil issues are hung from the floor joists above and hover above the concrete, I can see them in your one picture. They present a real challenge in sound proofing the walls as the drywall usually can't extend to the floor leaving a big gap. A few guys have used a couple layers of MLV mass loaded vinyl to seal that gap and hope for the best. That one wall to the left of the pole in your picture appears unfinished no bottom plate and spikes and I can't make out if there are spikes in the other.
Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know any builds that have floating walls for expansive soil issues?
post #12 of 42 Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know any builds that have floating walls for expansive soil issues?
Look on the Colorado get together thread, I remember a build from one of the guys in fort collins that was doing floating floors, I'd ask around there if no one gives you a heads up.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #13 of 42 Old 05-13-2020, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I am in the process of starting the build. I did end up taking Tedd's suggestion of changing the office and the theater room. The framing is going up now.

Doing so, unfortunately means that I have two doors out of the theater instead of one. This means that my screen wall will need to be where I currently have a window. Which leads to the question. How do I 'soundproof' the window for a lack of a better term?

Please note that the stud wall that I am building there is only hanging there temporarily. It is just held up by a few screws on each end at the moment. I had to frame the wall and temporarily hang it until the isolation clips arrive from the soundproofingcompany. Those should arrive today.

I will be putting in a curtain of some kind to cover the window, from there should I use drywall, plywood, insulation?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	2725590  
post #14 of 42 Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.M. View Post
Look on the Colorado get together thread, I remember a build from one of the guys in fort collins that was doing floating floors, I'd ask around there if no one gives you a heads up.

Aaron
There are a few, but most of the images are old. One of the threads had drywall all the way to the floor, and it failed code inspection. They then just added a larger/thicker baseboard and sealed it.

I am in the process of doing a whole basement up in Louisville. Just saying these floating walls suck.

D
post #15 of 42 Old 05-16-2020, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1duc View Post
There are a few, but most of the images are old. One of the threads had drywall all the way to the floor, and it failed code inspection. They then just added a larger/thicker baseboard and sealed it.

I am in the process of doing a whole basement up in Louisville. Just saying these floating walls suck.

D

I’m in Niwot and thankfully my basement is a structural slab so I didn’t have to do floating walls. It seems like most houses in Colorado aren’t structural slabs :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
da1duc likes this.
post #16 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Any idea on what to do with the window? How should I treat it before the walls go up final?
post #17 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of how the build is going thus far. The area that has the mini fridge will be a work from home office. I am still doing DD, GG, clip and channel there too.

I have issues that needed addressing including the Window, Sump Pump area, and PVC drain plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	872.6 KB
ID:	2728702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	964.9 KB
ID:	2728704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	914.1 KB
ID:	2728706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	932.1 KB
ID:	2728708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	975.7 KB
ID:	2728710  

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2728712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	2728714  
post #18 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the layout that I ultimately decided.

The stairs opening is going to be turned into a wall and I will open the storage from under the stairs from the opposite side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement paint.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2728732  
post #19 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 533
With regard to the window, we framed two of ours as though we were going to leave the windows visible/usable. Then we added two vertical 2x4s in each opening, installed Roxul between the studs, and rocked over the openings. When we sell the house don the road, the new owners could perform some careful demo, remove the two vertical 2x4s, add drywall/texture, install sills/trim, and have the windows back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pkinneb likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000 (calibrated), 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #20 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I purchased some commercial electric smart LED recessed lights for the rest of the basement, but they are 6". I was looking for some 4" ones to go into soffits and the like, but I can't find them.

I was wanting LED, smart connectivity, and color changing.

I have tried hunting but haven't been able to find any. What is everyone else doing for soffit lighting?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ce recessed.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	2728908  
post #21 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This is what is typically recommended

4 in. White Dimmable Recessed Lighting Kit (10-Pack)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/203976637

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #22 of 42 Old 05-19-2020, 06:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

They use an MR16 GU10 bulb, Phillips hue makes one for that size.
post #23 of 42 Old 05-19-2020, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They use an MR16 GU10 bulb, Phillips hue makes one for that size.
Thanks for that. I may have to rethink my requirements. Those are $50 a bulb.
post #24 of 42 Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
There are a few, but most of the images are old...Just saying these floating walls suck.

D
Okay, here is what I remember; and probably what I'm going to do: They did the regular floating floors--with the treated board on the bottom and the huge nails and the floating frames, ending the drywall ~ 4" off of the floor

After inspection they attached a piece of MLV with liquid nail to the back of the lowest 2" of the drywall attached to the clips. Then they used liquid nailed and attached a 4" piece of DW/GG/DW to the lower 4" of MLV (it was not taped nor mudded- and the lower[inner theater DW/GG/DW/MLV outer theater pink fluffy] piece was slightly mobile)

The baseboard was then attached to the drywall that covered the seam between the two areas of drywall--The baseboard was added after the floor was put in.

I tried to draw something up below that was close, if you can't see it let me know.

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Floating wall DW BB.pdf (19.9 KB, 14 views)
da1duc likes this.

Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #25 of 42 Old 05-21-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post
I purchased some commercial electric smart LED recessed lights for the rest of the basement, but they are 6". I was looking for some 4" ones to go into soffits and the like, but I can't find them.

I was wanting LED, smart connectivity, and color changing.

I have tried hunting but haven't been able to find any. What is everyone else doing for soffit lighting?
My brother told me about Kichler lights that they used in their new house they built a little over a year ago and he said that they mount to a regular outlet box. Sounded kind of something I may look into using in my theater and the rest of my basement. You can make them dim as well I believe.

https://www.kichlerlightinglights.co...caAhabEALw_wcB

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #26 of 42 Old 05-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Okay, here is what I remember; and probably what I'm going to do: They did the regular floating floors--with the treated board on the bottom and the huge nails and the floating frames, ending the drywall ~ 4" off of the floor

After inspection they attached a piece of MLV with liquid nail to the back of the lowest 2" of the drywall attached to the clips. Then they used liquid nailed and attached a 4" piece of DW/GG/DW to the lower 4" of MLV (it was not taped nor mudded- and the lower[inner theater DW/GG/DW/MLV outer theater pink fluffy] piece was slightly mobile)

The baseboard was then attached to the drywall that covered the seam between the two areas of drywall--The baseboard was added after the floor was put in.

I tried to draw something up below that was close, if you can't see it let me know.

Aaron
So other than the building sheets for Louisville, CO Springs etc. Is there any Building Code that this follows? I cannot find anything that says I have to have the gap for drywall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #27 of 42 Old 05-24-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
...Is there any Building Code that this follows...
I can't find one. Stories of inspectors coming around and saying that you need to have the drywall gap...likely the same thread you've seen...is all that I have heard.

Even in my town, the city states that I don't need to have floating walls in city limits. My basement is 115 years old and has not moved since 1986 for sure, given the in stud and in wall nail markings placed back then.

I might just have a 1/4" floating stud wall and drywall to the clips on the stud, given that I will dig down and add a cement floor that might settle--I don't want all of my drywall work to start settling. I will probably use MLV and baseboard to cover the 1/4" floating gap at the bottom. I will do this to try to help decouple the walls and to help with bass transfer up the walls, and I'll use the IB clips to decouple the walls and framed ceiling. The ceiling, I will be working on to avoid projector shaking from foot fall above and bass vibration below--still in the thinking stage.

I think "fire blocking" and "window escapes" are the big things inspectors are all over right now, and they are very picky. The rules about finishing a basement in my town have very little on everything other than--"follow national building codes" but then have 3 pages of diagrams on fire blocking and how to avoid the spread of fire.

If your city doesn't say you have to, I would just do a minimal gap on the bottom only because nothing ticks me off more than having to go back and redo drywall because of settling issues.

Aaron

post #28 of 42 Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

building codes are generally county/city specific, usually an adoption of other codes with local specific modifications Here are links to county/city codes that talk about floating requirements.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GidD2KfYwkKu33

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FlIXOYoZUJuVLn

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 05-25-2020 at 07:28 AM.
post #29 of 42 Old 05-25-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
building codes are generally county.city specific, usually an adoption of other codes with local specific modifications Here are links to county/city codes that talk about floating requirements.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GidD2KfYwkKu33

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FlIXOYoZUJuVLn
Yup and it looks like this is the main for Colorado:
2018 Colorado IRC Basement Guide from Colorado Chapter of International Code Council (CCICC).

Then each county/city has there own twist on it:
Douglas County: 3" of expansion, top or bottom. No drywall callout, drawing shows less of a drywall gap.
Fort Collins: NONE needed
Broomfield: 1.5 movement minimum, Floating wall "VOID" site specific. 2018 CCICC drawing
Longmont: Specific 1 inch on drywall gap with 1.5 of movement, Same 2015 CCICC drawing
Arapahoe: 1.5 movement, Same 2015 CCICC drawing
Denver: Same 2015 CCICC drawing
Boulder County: Nothing specific other than floating recommended. Detailed Boulder County Building Code
City of Lakewood: Specific 1 inch on drywall gap with 1.5 of movement, Same 2015 CCICC drawing
City of Louisville: 1.5" Gap with Drywall 1.5" above floor.

So it looks like there is zero specifics from the state, but a 1" gap for some and 1.5" for others.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.
post #30 of 42 Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Aaron
Interesting. I think I see what they did. Is there anybenefit of doing it this way, rather than ending the drywall and inch from the floor? More area to work with I assume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page