Building HT in my new home. Zero Experience. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 3 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By rfbrang
  • 3 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 4 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 4 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building HT in my new home. Zero Experience.

Hi guys,

I just bought land in which I'm building starting this June if situation permits.

My designer has finished its first layout drawing.And the Home Theater section is 6x4m on the first floor next to garage.

Before I start discussing things like what equipment to use, design, etc.

I'd like to ask for recommendation and input on the size and important points to take note.

Is 6x4 enough?
For width, I can probably do 5. Maximum 5.5m if required. But 4-5 is more desired.
For length, I have another 2.5m to spare. Max 8.5m.

With that in mind I'm thinking of asking the designer to revise it to 7x5m?
Do you guys have any input for the room size?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboyong View Post
Hi guys,

I just bought land in which I'm building starting this June if situation permits.

My designer has finished its first layout drawing.And the Home Theater section is 6x4m on the first floor next to garage.

Before I start discussing things like what equipment to use, design, etc.

I'd like to ask for recommendation and input on the size and important points to take note.

Is 6x4 enough?
For width, I can probably do 5. Maximum 5.5m if required. But 4-5 is more desired.
For length, I have another 2.5m to spare. Max 8.5m.

With that in mind I'm thinking of asking the designer to revise it to 7x5m?
Do you guys have any input for the room size?

Thank you
6x4 is plenty, depending on the size of screen you plan to go with (you need more throw for larger screen) and the number of seating rows you are planning. Perhaps you should list your goals for the theater then we can comment better.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Main
I want to have at least 120" screen
2 rows seating 4 reclining per row.
7.1 Speaker System

Optional
- a little bit of space behind 2nd row to put electric guitar and amp
- I saw some people have a bar table just behind the second row so they can sit another 4 people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6347 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
2 rows of 4 and a back bar, you need the 16x23 ft room or more. The best way to determine what you need it to draw a scaled floor plan and post here, you will get plenty of feedback.

Proper placement of the door is critical to a good layout
Ceiling height is critical if you want elevated rear row seating
If you want an acoustically transparent screen hiding your speakers that adds additional space.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 03-25-2020 at 06:31 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

This is layout for my ground floor (basement service area), I play around it with myself using paint

I can squeeze 5 x 7.5m to the HT. and still have billiard area outside.

I can make it bigger if I sacrifice billiard area. If possible, I like to have a small entrance at least 1x1m so I can have double door before the HT, in that space, I can put now showing poster. But still trying to play around with the layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ground.png
Views:	115
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2701524  
post #6 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

good news is that you can do 5x7.5

bad news is the entrance is at the rear corner. If you want a multi row theater you will need an elevated seating riser. A wall to wall riser is best to maximize seating, if you have to accommodate a ground level walkway that carves out available space. Alternatives are to step up to riser height outside the theater or have the floor in the theater lowered in the original construction in anticipation of building a multi level floor.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-25-2020, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I will preface my suggestions with, do whatever Big suggests, Everything I have learned is either from reading his builds or threads on geaslutz.com. I have a 7.239m long room and have spent the last year looking for treatment options I know would require my room to have a little more depth(90-100cm) to fit with a second row. With that said...

If you can go to 8-8.5m deep, I absolutely would. It gives you options for two rows with options.

- speakers and subs in a baffle wall behind an acoustically transparent screen. (improved imaging where sound seems to come from the movie on the screen)

- a bar top behind the second row, great for sports or parties.

- if sound is important to you, 2' deep diffusion opposite of your screen wall.

You have great dimensions that are not multiples of each other which will help you with in room wall treatments after the space is built.(sound bouncing inside the room causing areas of extra loudness or quietness)

If you like a more active room with lots of people coming and going for events, I would go with the screen and bar row. If you like a more dedicated movie space, I would go with the first and third options. If you don't actually need the second row you could get the same sound treatment in less depth.
The second option works against the third to the point I would not spend the $ and would go with much cheaper room treatments on the back wall.

As big mentioned, move the door out of the corner where treatments are needed. I would put it by the bedroom door hallway.

A lot of this might not mean much now, but it lays the foundation for upgrades and revisions.

Is sound mitigation an issue for you? Is the furnace/air conditioning blower on that floor?
mikela likes this.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
post #8 of 25 Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I've been to my relative HT before. 6x4m with 120" I believe. Sits 4 reclining at the front. and 2 sofa at the back (non reclining, right next to the rear wall)

Another 2m, should gives me room for 2nd row reclining.
Another1m should gives me enough space for bar section.

I sketch a simple layout.
With 7 or max 7.5, it seems that it is sufficient for my needs?

Do I miss something?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HTLAYOUT.png
Views:	68
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	2701882  
post #9 of 25 Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

where do you plan on placing the speakers? Placing the center channel under the screen is a crime in a three row theater. If you can't see it you aren't hearing the direct sound of the dialog. That is why so many people use acoustically transparent screens and elevate the front speakers.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-26-2020, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
...With 7 or max 7.5, it seems that it is sufficient for my needs?
Another vote for 5x7.5m
My theater is just over 4m wide and I wish I had the extra 3 feet. Also, 7m is great for 2 rows but if you want a bar, like they were saying, I'd go with the 7.5 m. I think it would, just, be sufficient for your needs.
Definitely an AT screen and riser.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #11 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
where do you plan on placing the speakers? Placing the center channel under the screen is a crime in a three row theater. If you can't see it you aren't hearing the direct sound of the dialog. That is why so many people use acoustically transparent screens and elevate the front speakers.
lol, that what in my relative's HT. speakers on the floor in front of the screen.

It's a 2 row theater. Bar is still optional. (Its all back to the cost)

So I just google and learn new things of AT screen as discussed above. Seems, like it requires 0.8m depth for speaker behind the screen

So with that
option 1 - 2 row
1m (speaker) - 3m (screen to first row) - 2m (2nd row) - 0.5m (extra space) =6.5m

option 2 - 2 row with extra bar
1m (speaker) - 3m (screen to first row) - 2m (2nd row) - 1m (bar) - 0.5m (extra space) =7.5m

at the moment, I have revised the layout to 7.5 x 5.
As mentioned, I might be able to do 8 to 8.5 with the expense of other room (need to consult with designer next week)

the first question that I need to solve for layout purposes, is 7.5m enough?
or its better to do 8m? if it is, can you help me explain a little bit what is the spaces for

Thank you guys
post #12 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2 rows of 4 and a back bar, you need the 16x23 ft room or more. The best way to determine what you need it to draw a scaled floor plan and post here, you will get plenty of feedback.
I don't agree with this assessment at all. My room is a 12.5 x 21 and I have 3 rows of seating, the rear row could easily be a bar based row. There is only an aisle on one side. You don't need a super wide room with aisles on both sides. My middle row has 4 seats, my front row has 4 seats, my rear row has 6 seats, but that could easily be a bar with 4 seats instead. I have a 3 foot dead space and chest between my front row and 2nd row, so the entire room could move in leaving a 12.5x18. The op is working in a 4mx6m which is 13x19.5. He has plenty of room for what he wants to do.

Remember, not every seat needs to be optimal. Many people will be awed by the room no matter what. So those edge seats against one wall are perfectly useful for a large percentage of folks.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I don't agree with this assessment at all. My room is a 12.5 x 21 and I have 3 rows of seating, the rear row could easily be a bar based row. There is only an aisle on one side. You don't need a super wide room with aisles on both sides. My middle row has 4 seats, my front row has 4 seats, my rear row has 6 seats, but that could easily be a bar with 4 seats instead. I have a 3 foot dead space and chest between my front row and 2nd row, so the entire room could move in leaving a 12.5x18. The op is working in a 4mx6m which is 13x19.5. He has plenty of room for what he wants to do.

Remember, not every seat needs to be optimal. Many people will be awed by the room no matter what. So those edge seats against one wall are perfectly useful for a large percentage of folks.

Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing photo of your HT so I can have an idea how 12.5x18 can fit 3 row. Thank you
post #14 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 05:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

when you are building from scratch you might as well aim for a high performance room, I wouldn't waste money on sub optimal seats.
mikela, brazensol and thrillcat like this.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing photo of your HT so I can have an idea how 12.5x18 can fit 3 row. Thank you
My room is so dark it's really hard to take good photos. But let's talk in feet.
Room is 21 feet long. My first row is 7 feet from the screen. This is in the first 1/3 of the room and in a sound sweet spot. It's my main seat. I have a dual reclining sofa here plus 2 regular theater seats. The entire sound system is setup so that this is the sweet spot.

Next row back is at 14 feet back on a 10 inch riser. It use to be the sweet spot, but then I went 4K and realized you have to sit close to benefit from 4K resolution. I have 2 recliners and a single theater chair in that row. I use to have 2 theater chairs but replaced that with an end table I use if I ever sit in the recliner and work on my laptop or if someone wants to sit back there with dinner.

The final row is on the back wall and has wall to wall theater seats. It's on a 20 inch platform (10 inches taller than the middle row). It can fit 6 of these linked (my room is 12 feet 6 inch wide). But instead I have 5 back there right now which gives breathing room for my full tower rear surrounds. There is about 5 feet from the back of the middle row to the back wall so that could also be a bar with tall bar stool chairs.

My screen is a 16x9 135" screen. It is as large as I can fit in my room both width and height. My ceilings are only 84 inch (7 feet). When we do movie night, most movies are scope. My software automatically moves the picture to the top of the screen and my masking system masks the bottom of the screen. This allows all rows to get clear view of the whole picture with no one's head in the way.

Here are some outdated photos.
This is the rear 2 rows but at this point I have the middle row on a platform.

This one is more accurate for the back 2 rows and shows both platforms.

This one is actually the current furniture setup.

Here is my snack chest which is behind my front row and between the middle platform and my main seat.

Here is the view of the back of the front row and snack chest

Ok I added more thumbnails of seating below. But I guess I don't have anything that actually shows the whole front row. I think this is because it's impossible to stand far enough back to get it all in one shot.

My room is all function no form. I dont care about cosmetics of the room itself. In fact it's all velveted in black now. When the lights are off, you can't see anything in the room anyway. Performance is outstanding.

Quote:
when you are building from scratch you might as well aim for a high performance room, I wouldn't waste money on sub optimal seats.
What do you consider sub-optimal seats? I consider an optimal seat purely personal preference. For example, I hate leather. I hate those standard black matching linked theater seats almost everyone buys.

For me, the optimal seat is my seat. I have a dual reclining couch that is my main seat. I have 2 recliners in row 2. These are perfect for guests. I have 10 standard fold up theater seats we got from a theater that closed down a few years ago. They're actually very comfortable. But these are plenty good if we need to fill the room usually with kids and whomever. Most people that come aren't theater enthusiasts. But there are plenty of optimal seats for those types. I don't see why a single 2-3 fantastic seats mixed with a couple rows of back fill seats isn't perfectly optimal.

Besides, there's always ways to spend more money to improve the room. The money one wastes on 3 rows of $800 / seat can easily be better directed to improving the quality of the gear. Most the time the owner of the theater is using the room alone or with a spouse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ib12s-withsofa.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2702232   Click image for larger version

Name:	roomseating.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	2702234   Click image for larger version

Name:	seating3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	840.5 KB
ID:	2702236   Click image for larger version

Name:	seating2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	744.5 KB
ID:	2702238   Click image for larger version

Name:	seating.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	2702240  

Name:	snackchest.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	2702242   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChairSpeakers-3.jpg
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	2702252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chair Speaker -covered.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	2702254   Click image for larger version

Name:	gearcloset.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	2702258   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-atmos-shelf-mounted-706s2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	868.7 KB
ID:	2702260  

Name:	805d3 and 706s2 wall mount.jpg
Size:	768.9 KB
ID:	2702262   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-right.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	2702264   Click image for larger version

Name:	ib12s.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2702266   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs4500-mounted-strapped.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	2702268  

Last edited by markmon1; 03-27-2020 at 06:25 AM.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

30 ft room with 2 rows and back bar designed by the Erskine Group that I built. I did not pick the colors or the light fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04541.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2702272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04544.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2702274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04577.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	2702276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04570.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2702278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2702280  

mikela, pkinneb, Lynkage and 1 others like this.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

another little smaller two rows and back bar, room framed was 25-3 by 17-6 The ceiling is 105 inches. Plus a big beam in the middle of the room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04323.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2702286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04347.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2702288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04420.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2702290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04384.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2702292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04371.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2702294  

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2702296  
mikela, Lynkage, DjFreddyD and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 03-27-2020 at 07:02 AM.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
I will preface my suggestions with, do whatever Big suggests, Everything I have learned is either from reading his builds or threads on geaslutz.com.
Couldn't agree more!
post #19 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 09:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
What do you consider sub-optimal seats? I consider an optimal seat purely personal preference. For example, I hate leather. I hate those standard black matching linked theater seats almost everyone buys.
Quote:
This is what I meant by sub-optimal in your own words.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
... 7 feet from the screen. This is in the first 1/3 of the room and in a sound sweet spot....
...and realized you have to sit close to benefit from 4K resolution...
...The final row is on the back wall...
...There is about 5 feet from the back of the middle row to the back wall so that could also be a bar...

...My screen is a 16x9 135" screen...
...My ceilings are only 84 inch (7 feet)...
...My room is all function no form...Performance is outstanding...
...I consider an optimal seat purely personal preference...I hate those standard black matching linked theater seats...
...I have a dual reclining couch that is my main seat...
...usually with kids...Most people that come aren't theater enthusiasts...

...Most the time the owner of the theater is using the room alone or with a spouse.
I agree with you; 7 feet away is likely a sweet spot for sound in your theater. The screen however, must be personal preference, because if I sat 7 feet away from 135" 16x9 screen (nice size screen BTW) I would probably become sick if there was a lot of motion.

I feel the closer I sit to a 4K screen the more likely I am to see the blurred edges on the "no pirating logo, etc..." at the beginning of movies. I know what you mean though, the better resolution the closer you can sit without seeing the blurred lines, I would just worry that with an AT screen you would see the perf or the weave of the screen at 7 feet; so I'd probably avoid it like the plague or COVID-19 .

My current ceilings are ~80 some inches 12.5 ft and ~20+ feet too (that is why I'm going to lower the floor have only 2 rows and not have a bar).
For his theater, I would be worried how he was going to put in a door on the back wall of the theater and have two speakers back there; without having seats that weren't in front of a door or right in front of a speaker (both I've sat in before and were almost as bad as having the seat at the back of the plane right in front of the bathroom that doesn't recline and smells . Maybe he can, and I'm just not creative enough or have trouble visualizing it.

I think a major part of function IS form (of the room, that is), unless the laws of physics can be broken--I wish. I agree, cosmetics is another issue= all preference. You don't need matching furniture, lavish lighting fixtures, fancy wood work, or framed movie posters layered with 24k gold; but it does need to sound great, and the movie needs to look great. I won't be getting seats like most people get--so I agree the physical seats are preference--except they need to be comfortable AND not cause physical anatomic strain.

I will probably have dual reclining couches also--I agree, but mine is because I don't have enough room on the sides to have quality sound in every position. I stood by the side wall of my theater the other month when my brother in law and his kids were on the couch and the sound was so boomy (huge uncontrolled bass and no voices) that I couldn't even stand it. It sounded like I was listening to a movie with a 5 gal bucket on my head (the orange ones from Home Depot, with Homer on them). Just saying, I would be embarrassed having anyone listen to a movie by the side wall of my theater--and that is just my preference (I wouldn't waste the money on the seats by any of the walls--). Even if they were kids--better hearing--, or non-enthusiast, I would still want them to hear the voices in the movie and not just bass or what was coming out of the side or back wall speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Couldn't agree more!
Agree-- Dennis and BIG= super sweet; but I guess even though WE want high performance theaters, it is a possibility the OP may not want that kind of quality (hurts me to even say it) -- but I guess that is an option.

OP, it is difficult to change the size and shape of the room later down the road--it's not like upgrading speakers, AMPs or a PJ, and THAT I feel is the first major decision you're going to have--and I've never heard anyone say, " I wish I had less room in my theater." So Mikela, and BIG I think you guys are exactly right! (PS: mikela, I like your thread too, I bet that Perf screen is great--and those speakers--ahh).

Quote:
This is what I meant by sub-optimal in your own words.
Heck yeah...are all of those theaters my taste, nope, but the room audio and video in every room is what counts, and if I can't at least be on par with a commercial movie theater than what is the point of having a theater at my house. I'd pay the 6.50 to see the matinee if it meant better sound and video...Just my preference, but that is why I want to improve my HT (that and I'll want a good theater if I'm ever stranded at home--or in a shelter in place situation; ah crap; too late, dang ). PS: nice builds Jeff.

OP: In the end if you really want a bar then 7.5m is close and 8m is better (of course 8.5 is best), but the extra seating will mean you don't get to play pool, or have other friends come over and play pool. I would try 7.5 and try to have it all if a professional designer can make it work. As alway IMHO, and all info is to be taken with a few grains of salt.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Sony Masters, OPPO
post #21 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
30 ft room with 2 rows and back bar designed by the Erskine Group that I built. I did not pick the colors or the light fixtures.
Wow I like this one.

Quote:
another little smaller two rows and back bar, room framed was 25-3 by 17-6 The ceiling is 105 inches. Plus a big beam in the middle of the room.
but looking at the 2nd one 25.3 = 7.8m. I guess that should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.M. View Post
it is a possibility the OP may not want that kind of quality (hurts me to even say it) -- but I guess that is an option. OP, it is difficult to change the size and shape of the room later down the road--it's not like upgrading speakers, AMPs or a PJ, and THAT I feel is the first major decision you're going to have--and I've never heard anyone say, " I wish I had less room in my theater." So Mikela, and BIG I think you guys are exactly right! (PS: mikela, I like your thread too, I bet that Perf screen is great--and those speakers--ahh).
OP: In the end if you really want a bar then 7.5m is close and 8m is better (of course 8.5 is best), but the extra seating will mean you don't get to play pool, or have other friends come over and play pool. I would try 7.5 and try to have it all if a professional designer can make it work. As alway IMHO, and all info is to be taken with a few grains of salt.
I do want high quality HT.

With that said I will start with 7.5 x 5m. Lets see what we can do with this space. If I can fit in what I want in that size, that'd be great. If not, we'll find another way. Perhaps we'll see the option to do 8x5m. but definitely not 8.5m after talking to my wife haha
post #22 of 25 Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Come back with some update. Just discussed with my architect. We haven't' reached agreement to make the width 5m, because it's gonna take too much space from other.

So I ask for at least 4.5m width x 7m length

the height at the moment is at 2.9m, but after you minus the floor and ceiling, the net space is 2.2m.
I feel like its too low for 2row HT. what is recommended height for 2row seating? is net height 2.8 a good height?

Thank you
post #23 of 25 Old 04-02-2020, 08:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

most theaters require a raised platform level of about 12-14 inches for the second row seating to see over the first row. so yes 2.2 m (7.2 feet) is too short. Unless all your family and friends are short.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-02-2020, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes at the moment is 2.2m. I quickly text my architect to ask about rising it to 2.8m. from the discussion, seems like its hard to reach that due to a reason that he explained to me.

I'm trying to get it done at 2.4m at least. Max 2.5m.

Can 2.4m ceiling do 120" screen?

Worst case, How about 2.2m, can it do 120"?
post #25 of 25 Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Its all geometry, here is a formula for you to figure out the required riser height. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post59381812
A 120 inch diagonal 16:9 screen is 59 inches tall plus frame. This is a screen dimension calculator: https://www.draperinc.com/projectionscreens/customsizecalculator.aspx
120 is on the small end of the scale for a 2 row theater particually if you will be watching a lot of 2.35:1 format content but it is a personal preference item, Worth reading: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/

A short room is a double whammy your can't mount the screen has high as you might like, that means you need a higher riser for the second row and you run out of headroom. There are theater seats made that sit higher that you could use for the second row and you can put a 3-4 inch lift under the base of the chairs so you sit higher but have the headroom to walk on the riser.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 04-02-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page