Is 16ft too wide for my stage? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Art Sonneborn

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is 16ft too wide for my stage?

The stage is going against a wall that runs 28ft. The room runs 24 ft the other way. The stage will be on one end of the room and a false wall will be built for the other side. I just demoed the wall and it almost looks like the stage will be too wide because it only sticks out 43 inches. So 16ff wide by 43in deep. Does anyone else have a stage this wide? What did you do for depth and did it end up looking good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6327 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
pics from a couple projects with a wide room that had wing walls/columns to make it look right. They continued the color scheme of the walls rather than the black of the screen wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03279.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2702110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04342.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2702112  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
pics from a couple projects with a wide room that had wing walls/columns to make it look right. They continued the color scheme of the walls rather than the black of the screen wall.

Isnt that first one yours? Thanks for the quick reply. Ill follow the room coordination then with my false walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 07:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

guilty, If I were to do it over my screen area would be wider, the two columns are hinged, one is storage the other is my equipment rack.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
guilty, If I were to do it over my screen area would be wider, the two columns are hinged, one is storage the other is my equipment rack.
That makes me feel better. This is off topic but I also have walls in my basement that aren't decoupled from the ceiling joists. They are located about 1/3 inside the room and span the length of the basement. I am debating whether to try to remove the top plate and throw clips in to decouple or rip the drywall off the walls and run resilient channel then re-drywall. In your experience, what would be the easier route? Am I going to have trouble trying to remove the walls from the joists? They aren't load bearing was FYI.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 2003
Present theater room is 20' wide stage between columns is 17' 32" deep.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 09:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnboarder View Post
I am debating whether to try to remove the top plate and throw clips in to decouple or rip the drywall off the walls and run resilient channel then re-drywall. In your experience, what would be the easier route? Am I going to have trouble trying to remove the walls from the joists? They aren't load bearing was FYI.

first eliminate resilient channel from your tool kit, If you do channel you want hat channel and clips, there is a big difference. As for your basement I need more details to tell you which approach would work. Where this wall is placed, what is on the other side etc.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
first eliminate resilient channel from your tool kit, If you do channel you want hat channel and clips, there is a big difference. As for your basement I need more details to tell you which approach would work. Where this wall is placed, what is on the other side etc.
So right now with the ceiling never drywalled, it's not a problem for the upstairs. My wife allows the theater played loud with an 18in sub blasting. I want just minimal sound isolation. I don't need it to be unbelievably great. With that said I was still looking to do double 5/8 drywall. My ceiling height is only at 7ft 8 1/2 to the bottom of the joist. What would you do in my situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page