Help Design Front Sound Stage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By audiovideoholic

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Help Design Front Sound Stage

Hello,

I'm now getting into the design of my front sound stage for the Quarterdeck Club. I'd post a picture, but it would just be a picture of a wall. My wall dimensions are 7'1.5" high by 11' wide. I will be doing a 2.35 CIH setup with an acoustically transparent screen with HTM-12s and I'd like to keep the screen within 18" of the wall. I have a few questions.
  • Should I plan for any acoustic treatments for the wall behind the screen? If so, where should they be positioned and how are they generally attached to painted drywall?
  • I know it may not be ideal, but I'd like to put subwoofers behind the screen on the front wall. Can I build something that will fit in that 18" (or less) space between the wall and screen? Should I build them horizontal and put the LCR on them or should I build tall ones to go between LCR?

Thanks for the help.

Currently building the Quarterdeck Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 247

Treat the entire wall with absorption. 2 layers of linacoustic separated by thin plastic is the cheapest way to go.

Build the subs however you want to fit your space. No rules here really. May want to keep ports away from close to the screen but generally speaking just use common sense as with anything “subwoofer location” mined. Keep room modes in mind, if can use them as stands will provide more room for future upgrades, make sure everything is black, treat both sides of your LCRs (like a sandwich) with good materials to avoid front wall reflections, etc....

Good luck and welcome to AT screen heaven!

Bests
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 02:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6564 Post(s)
Liked: 6435
two layers and plastic, pretty standard. Was an Erskine group secret sauce for many years. They Recently switched to Quest panels $$$.
Rjloper9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Treat the entire wall with absorption. 2 layers of linacoustic separated by thin plastic is the cheapest way to go.

Build the subs however you want to fit your space. No rules here really. May want to keep ports away from close to the screen but generally speaking just use common sense as with anything “subwoofer location” mined. Keep room modes in mind, if can use them as stands will provide more room for future upgrades, make sure everything is black, treat both sides of your LCRs (like a sandwich) with good materials to avoid front wall reflections, etc....

Good luck and welcome to AT screen heaven!

Bests
Alex

Is two layers of 1" linacoustic better than one layer of 2"? I think I just need to jump into subwoofer building with the knowledge that I might not get it perfect. My last theater, I started with a non-AT screen and went to AT and it was SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
two layers and plastic, pretty standard. Was an Erskine group secret sauce for many years. They Recently switched to Quest panels $$$.
Same question, is two layers of 1" linacoustic better than one layer of 2"? How thick of plastic sheeting?

post #5 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 06:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6564 Post(s)
Liked: 6435
the plastic acts as a membrane and increases absorption of lower frequencies. 3-5mil
audiovideoholic likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 247

Like Big said, yes two layers of 1” is better than one layer of 2” as long as use the 3-5 mil plastic.

A great thing you can do that RPG provides free to the public is look at the many ways of wall mounting their products with air gaps, no air gaps, and different thicknesses of absorption. They break down all the data from each mounting method and provide the graphs along with detailed section drawings.

Once one understands the different approaches it’s all relatively simple to comprehend the available options along with their intended uses.

You won’t have to really try to control SBIR with an 18” maximum front speaker baffle placement but screen reflection and general reflections are what you will be treating the front wall to combat. So treat it with as much absorption as you can afford would be my advice. If you aren’t planning on treating the rest of your room at the same time as your front wall which would in theory spare more money to invest into the products needed.

I don’t know what QuestAI is using for the front wall but IMO there really isn’t any need for anything other than absorption being that I don’t want to hear anything at all interfering with the screen. Some like diffusion but I just don’t get how that does anything for the frequencies that aren’t directional being that when they place diffusers there they aren’t sized appropriately for the omnidirectional waves that will hit them. The omnidirectional waves require far deeper or different design types of diffusers to break up those waves and scatter the waves.

Other sound waves bouncing around the room can and will return to the front wall at times which could be diffused but in HT rooms generally the other walls in the room will be treated so that those waves that might make it back to the front wall which could be scattered/diffused will be zapped elsewhere which eliminates the need for any other type of acoustic panel other than absorption.

If you just don’t care to research it like most who just don’t have the time then go with the broadest range of panel/fabric that you can afford at the time. Also, it used to be suggested that the speakers needed to be placed further away from the AT fabric than now is my understanding. From what I’ve gathered the benefits of placing the speakers closer to the fabric outweigh placing them further back. Again, in your situation this is a moot point but just thought would bring it up.

The thing is one never realizes what they are missing with properly treated front stages until it’s done so there aren’t tons of posts about it. I have experienced it twice in my own room and will experience it again as soon as the last of my subs arrive from Nick at SI and can finish my front wall yet again.

Rjloper9 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch @audiovideoholic and @BIGmouthinDC . That is all super helpful info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page