• 1 Post By Uther

post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Riser Retrofit

So, I need to retrofit a riser into my existing theater and am going to ask a very basic question. It applies to some columns, etc. that I want to add as well, so here we go: do I need to cut and remove the existing carpet underneath wherever I want to affix to the subfloor, or can I just go right over the top? I’m pretty sure the answer is cut and pull it up, but if there is a way to do it and save some time, I’m open to suggestions.

I’ll also go ahead and ask since I’ve never really worked with carpet, if the answer is pull it up, what is the right way to cut it and how do I go about attaching it once the riser is complete? I know enough to cut it long and trim it to fit once the riser is in place, but then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2020, 04:54 AM
RETIRED theater builder

Mentioned: 509 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6695 Post(s)
Liked: 6577
where is this room located? if the basement you 100% want to cut out the carpet in case you have even a minor water event. It will be a Petri dish for mold.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The room is on the second floor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2020, 12:36 PM
RETIRED theater builder

Mentioned: 509 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6695 Post(s)
Liked: 6577
You can leave the carpet if you want but there is a good chance the perimeter is held down with tack strips that may or may not interfere with your riser framing sitting properly on the floor. If that is the case you can remove the tack strips but leave the carpet. And that is the other answer to your question of how to secure the carpet if you cut it, tack strips.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2020, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like the “right” way to do it is cut the carpet and cut a section out of the tack strip where the riser or column will attach to the wall. I’m a “right way” kind of person, so I appreciate the input and experience. Chances are good I’ll be back with more questions as I get further into this project. It is becoming a larger retrofit than I first thought.

pkinneb likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2020, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, here’s another question: due to room shape, doors , etc., I think I need to build an island style riser, so any thoughts on how to get concealed power into the riser? I thought about dropping two columns on the rear corners and feeding from the ceiling, but I don’t really want that in the theater. I cannot get under the floor since this is in the second story. Any ideas on something creative I could build to accent the room and conceal the conduit from the wall?

post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post
I cannot get under the floor since this is in the second story.
I don't understand this statement. If it is the second floor, what is below it? What prevents you from going in from below? cut and patch the ceiling below it or remove a light fixture or two to work if you have recessed lighting below.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

In my experience cutting and patching drywall never quite looks the same. True, it is accessible, but I’m not willing to deal with the fallout of a patched ceiling in our main family room, nor do I want to repaint 800 sq ft of ceiling, even if the patch were perfect.

Interesting thought going through one of the downstairs lights, but they are all switched, so I would have to have the lights on in order for the jumped off receptacle to work. I’m not quite sure how I would get a parallel connection outside of the switches to create an always on receptacle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page