AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   Shadow Theater Build (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html)

b_scott 05-03-2020 12:52 PM

32 Attachment(s)
Hello All! I've been dreaming of a theatre in my house forever, but once we bought this one it didn't seem possible. Well, I decided to make it possible. I completely tore out everything and started from the bare concrete walls. I have an Epson projector and it'll be thrown onto a 135" (ish) screen that I'm going to build. There will be seating for 4 and some bean bags, and a small bar area. I rerouted my entire water pipe and gas pipe systems and also some of the HVAC. Replaced all my galvanized steel pipes with Pex. I'll be leveling the floor a little but I'm currently framing the room.

Adding my future system below:

Video: Epson 5040UBe projector
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR797 9.2-Ch. (I will be running 5.1.4)
Sub: SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer (Black Ash) - 10-inch Driver, 300-Watts RMS, Ported Cabinet
UHD Player: Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision Playback
Fire Stick 4K
HTPC (old one, will use when needed, maybe for MadVR if I upgrade it)

Speakers -
Front L/R x 2: Polk Audio 265-RT
Front Center x 1: Polk Audio 265-RT
Side L/R x 2: Polk Audio 65-RT
Atmos x 4 Ceiling: Polk Audio RC80i

https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-42_012-X4.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-22_905-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-39_666-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-08_729-X5.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-47_027-X5.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-50_380-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-24_968-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-32_627-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...30_heic-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Theatre-B...-00_456-X4.jpg

b_scott 05-03-2020 01:01 PM


b_scott 05-03-2020 01:10 PM


Theedj 05-03-2020 02:38 PM

Congrats on getting it going. No easy task with all the plumbing and HVAC adjustments.

What are the room dimensions you’ll end up with?

mhutchins 05-03-2020 02:51 PM

Awesome job getting rid of all those leaking pipes!! You did the right thing getting rid of all that. I'm still a little worried about the cubby to the left of your panel where the window is and your sewer clean out. Both the window and the sewer down pipe look like they have been leaking. I saw the new brass plug, but the pipe joint above looks suspect, as does the window.

I would encourage you to run a dehumidifier down there. Judging by the warped peg board and flaking plaster on the walls, I'm guessing the humidity is pretty high down there at times.

Good job turning your dreams into reality! You've overcome the hardest part; getting started.

Mike

b_scott 05-03-2020 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhutchins (Post 59588360)
Awesome job getting rid of all those leaking pipes!! You did the right thing getting rid of all that. I'm still a little worried about the cubby to the left of your panel where the window is and your sewer clean out. Both the window and the sewer down pipe look like they have been leaking. I saw the new brass plug, but the pipe joint above looks suspect, as does the window.

I would encourage you to run a dehumidifier down there. Judging by the warped peg board and flaking plaster on the walls, I'm guessing the humidity is pretty high down there at times.

Good job turning your dreams into reality! You've overcome the hardest part; getting started.

Mike

Thanks! I didn’t take pics of everything but I cut down the sewer clean out and moved the slop sink area over there. There used to be a bath there and there may have been leaking in the past but there isn’t now. None from the window. The gray pipe out the wall is an old gas pipe that has been poly filled. There are two sewer drains so I’m just covered one of them.

Humidity is ok - I do have a dehumidifier due to a rainwater backup that we had to have our sewer main replaced. All good now.

b_scott 05-03-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theedj (Post 59588298)
Congrats on getting it going. No easy task with all the plumbing and HVAC adjustments.

What are the room dimensions you’ll end up with?

Thanks! It’ll be 13’ by 25’ in rectangle area but that doesn’t account for the HVAC jog. I’m also going to build an under stairs sitting area for my kids.

Claybe 05-03-2020 04:51 PM

Wow! Good work. Way to get going on it!

b_scott 05-03-2020 05:01 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claybe (Post 59588826)
Wow! Good work. Way to get going on it!

Thanks! I started this thought process on 3/20. I just put the foam up Thursday.

b_scott 05-04-2020 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Done framing. Square is for my projector.

Ladeback 05-05-2020 02:01 PM

I see you have a build thread now. Nice start. I see you decided to not go all in with the soundproofing. I am leaning that way as well. It would save a lot of money I could put into other things.

b_scott 05-05-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladeback (Post 59598628)
I see you have a build thread now. Nice start. I see you decided to not go all in with the soundproofing. I am leaning that way as well. It would save a lot of money I could put into other things.

I haven’t done anything with soundproofing yet. Still deciding. I think I will end up with rock wool and clips and hat channel with one layer of 5/8”. I can’t see myself doing more than that.

pkinneb 05-05-2020 05:35 PM

FWIW I think one things folks can miss, I know I did, is that the a lot of the techniques used to keep sound from escaping the room can actually make the sound in the room better. I suspect 10 to 15% of my budget went to sound proofing and I also suspect that amount, used else where, would not have delivered as much. Of course this is all personal opinion and who knows maybe I am just justifying the spend but bottom line is the room sounds amazing and also keeps all but major base scenes inside the room. Just food for thought.

bochoss 05-05-2020 05:50 PM

Are you going with an AT screen?

kuroiknight 05-05-2020 07:24 PM

This is what I love to see! This is what I find exciting. I love that you decided to do this and have documented with photos! I may have missed it but what are the dimensions and what type of audio equipment are you going with?

b_scott 05-06-2020 07:14 AM

32 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bochoss (Post 59599770)
Are you going with an AT screen?

I am! :) Spandex over wood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkinneb (Post 59599700)
FWIW I think one things folks can miss, I know I did, is that the a lot of the techniques used to keep sound from escaping the room can actually make the sound in the room better. I suspect 10 to 15% of my budget went to sound proofing and I also suspect that amount, used else where, would not have delivered as much. Of course this is all personal opinion and who knows maybe I am just justifying the spend but bottom line is the room sounds amazing and also keeps all but major base scenes inside the room. Just food for thought.

Hoping that is the case :) Doing pergo-type wood floors with a large rug over the middle area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroiknight (Post 59600094)
This is what I love to see! This is what I find exciting. I love that you decided to do this and have documented with photos! I may have missed it but what are the dimensions and what type of audio equipment are you going with?

So the main square area with the screen is about 13x13, and the room is 25' long total. I made a wall on the other side of the seating area to balance it and have a spot for the right speaker (when seated). The screen will be 138", which is 120" wide and 68" tall. Equipment:

Video: Epson 5040UBe projector
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR797 9.2-Ch. (I will be running 5.1.4)
Sub: SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer (Black Ash) - 10-inch Driver, 300-Watts RMS, Ported Cabinet
UHD Player: Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision Playback
Fire Stick 4K
Shield TV (2019)
HTPC (old one, will use when needed, maybe for MadVR if I upgrade it)

Speakers (in wall) -
Front L/R x 2: Polk Audio 265-RT
Front Center x 1: Polk Audio 265-RT
Side L/R x 2: Polk Audio 65-RT
Atmos x 4 Ceiling: Polk Audio RC80i

eventually I'll probably have an Xbox Series X and PS5 downstairs too but not right away. Until then I'll probably cart my Xbox One X and PS4 down there when needed.

b_scott 05-09-2020 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wiring going in

PaulF757 05-09-2020 08:49 AM

Allot of work put in to clean all the plumbing work. Well done.

b_scott 05-09-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulF757 (Post 59618416)
Allot of work put in to clean all the plumbing work. Well done.

Thanks. I'll take a shot of the current pex setup soon. It's pretty neat. I didn't do a manifold but it's two trunks and branches. I'm so glad to be rid of that plumbing mess.

b_scott 05-10-2020 02:24 PM

32 Attachment(s)
Bought some IB-1 clips without rubber and got some hat channel. I’ll probably be doing just that, but maybe adding some cheap insulation as well. I won’t be doing double drywall but I have canless lights so I really could add it at any time if I’m not happy with my setup.

Power and lights are all wired up and half my audio cables as well because I ran out of cable. Have more coming tomorrow.

Ladeback 05-12-2020 06:21 AM

So what will the dimensions of your room be?

b_scott 05-12-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladeback (Post 59632508)
So what will the dimensions of your room be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_scott (Post 59601918)
So the main square area with the screen is about 13x13, and the room is 25' long total. I made a wall on the other side of the seating area to balance it and have a spot for the right speaker (when seated). The screen will be 138", which is 120" wide and 68" tall.

:)

b_scott 05-14-2020 07:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Soffit building

b_scott 05-17-2020 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leveling out the floor.

b_scott 05-21-2020 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Insulation and channel.

Matthew Mills 05-23-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_scott (Post 59587868)

I can't believe the missus gave up her new laundry room! :)

b_scott 05-23-2020 05:16 PM

Lol well I kinda redid the laundry area so it’s nicer.

b_scott 05-24-2020 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Final leveling.

audiovideoholic 05-26-2020 02:55 PM

Nice job!!! Reminds me of my first projection setup in my older farmhouse. The projects that had to be done before the theater construction were the worst part of the process.

You may want to plan for more subwoofers or a single larger more efficient sub at a minimum. Just my opinion but I think LFE makes up to 80% of the Home Theater experience maybe more like 85-90% followed by dynamics and a large immersive image.

Dynamics are what makes one jump or look around like something actually happened in the room that wasn’t just a speaker playing while being engaged by the immersive image. The image and bass draw one into the movie/content then the dynamic sound catches one off guard.

Looking great!

Bests
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

b_scott 05-26-2020 08:37 PM

thank you! I'm already installing a second subwoofer connection on the right side of the screen in case I need it. And I can always add another in the back of the room by simply going through the wall from the other room if needed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.