Advise needed please - Sound insulation ideas - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By tcramer
  • 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Advise needed please - Sound insulation ideas

Experts,
Really need all your recommendations. Will do best to share what I have & what I need below
What I have currently:
Attached pics for reference. 120" screen & sitting couch nearly 17 feet from screen.
ceiling height is roughly 7.5 ft & it is a basement suspended tile ceiling not dry wall.
Have those 2 small book shelf speakers kept on cabinets not wall mounted.
That wall behind the brown couch is a shared wall with our neighbor & the long wall in left is attached to backyard & so the screen wall.
Reg sound proofing, I just managed to fill a few packs of Rockwool foam last year inside that suspended ceiling. That's it..and nothing much done on drywall. So basically that drywall is as good as plain/simple one without any sound proofing.

What I am looking for specifically:
Requirement: I cannot afford to do work involving removing drywall or do expensive sound insulation.
But I am trying to understand if there is any cheapest way (say i am ready to spend $400 maximum) if you can recommend me anything I can do myself especially in Rear/Couch wall (shared wall with neighbor).
Honestly, I am not a full-fledged Handy person but i managed to put all the dolby ceiling speakers myself, painted those walls, mounted screen, etc. so imagine my handy skills are very limited.
Much appreciated if you kindly look at my details & suggest best options to filter sound as much as i can so i can enjoy high sound to maximum extent.
I was specifically looking for some simple/ready to hang panels but need your opinion if these are garbage or fits in 'something better than nothing' category or any other suggestions PLEASE...
https://www.amazon.ca/SOOMJ-Studio-A...jaz10cnVl&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...FTPWQSC2&psc=1

Or do you recommend any other Products for best bang? i am ready to listen to your recommendations & can stretch myself & do same for those side wall as well if budget permits.

I know first thing that comes to our minds may be put a floor Carpet on those tiles but i am trying to first fix or start something from that shared drywall & then work gradually

Note: I spent good amount of time/efforts atleast to gain some basic understanding of sound insulation, how it works, etc. but practically with so much of products/solutions in market, I am lost & do not know the best solution for my requirement.
thanks a lot for looking at my post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-14 124633.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2726188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_124158.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2726190   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_124145.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2726192  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 10:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6561
sound proofing this space that shares a wall with a neighbor without rebuilding or doing major construction is what Dr. Fauci would call a "bridge too far". I've never seen a product that you can simply hang on the wall and call it a day.

Invest in some quality headphones and maybe a bass kicker or two for the couch and blast your soundtracks as loud as you want. That would be well within your budget and you can take them with you when you move.
skylarlove1999 and tcramer like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
The people who tell us what we don't want to hear are sometimes much kinder than the people who blow smoke up our butts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
BIGmouthinDC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 11:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

even if you had a larger budget, keeping sound from an immediately adjacent room is a nearly impossible task.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
sound proofing this space that shares a wall with a neighbor without rebuilding or doing major construction is what Dr. Fauci would call a "bridge too far". I've never seen a product that you can simply hang on the wall and call it a day.

Invest in some quality headphones and maybe a bass kicker or two for the couch and blast your soundtracks as loud as you want. That would be well within your budget and you can take them with you when you move.
Thanks. I understand that it involves big efforts.
So, those panels will do 'Nothing' & won't even have little difference? not vibrations but just volume/sound?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 251
What Jeff said, panels would do absolutely nothing other than provide some absorption in the room. They won't block squat from going through the wall.

For $400 you could get bags of sand to stack tight to the ceiling across the back, seal all gaps and that amount of mass would block some sound. Just kidding of course.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2020, 11:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
For $400 you could get bags of sand to stack tight to the ceiling across the back, seal all gaps and that amount of mass would block some sound.
Don't stop at the ceiling, remove the drop ceiling and continue your stack up to the roof line. Do every room in your unit that shares this wall. You may need to slice all the floor and ceiling joists that are supported by the shared wall to eliminate vibration transfer. Rent a concrete saw and slice your floor leaving a gap between your unit and the shared wall, fill with sand or rubber filler.
tcramer and skylarlove1999 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page