So I'm putting together my first real AV rack. Sure I've had some stuff from Salamander Designs over the years, but that is consumer level. It's time to get with the professionals
I don't want to do this more times than I have to so I'd like to do it right the first time. The rack will live in a bedroom without AC. I'm in Seattle and it gets warm here occasionally, sometimes the house can be 80+ in the summer as we don't have AC.
Anyway I'm considering the Middle Atlantic BGR series 41 RU edition. This should be enough to hold my AV equipment and a server or two.
1) Active cooling or passive?
2) If I go active cooling, side panels seem required? How about rear? I'd like to go without a front door so I'd fill in the empty spaces with blanks
3) What about things like Blu-RAY players that aren't rack mounted? Use a shelf? Will that mess with active cooling since the front is open?
4) How quiet are these "quiet" AV fans anyway? Any recommendations? I'm used to super silent PC fans currently.
5) Do these units take standard post mounted casters or do I have to use the manufacturer casters?
I was thinking of making two zones. The bottom area would be amps and have an fan above them to remove hot air. The stuff above wouldn't be as warm like source components.
I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff I haven't even considered yet. Feel free to fill me in.
Looking forward to this!