What do guys thing of this Medieval Theme? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
I design home theaters and yes the space is perfect. The screen is a 135" diagonal 16:9 from 12' which is around a huge 45 degree viewing angle. The seats are placed using a room mode calculator as are the subs. All bed layer speakers are inwall and angled for optimal sound and the room has a full acoustic plan. As for ceiling height 12' tall is the sweet spot were you are getting far enough away to really get great coverage for the atmos speakers. Once on brackets the Atmos speakers are only 7' from the level of the seated heads. This is pretty much a no compromise design from the ground up. To make the ceiling lower or screen larger would be making compromises I don't want to make.

Of course I could put something above the screen to fill the space but it would be purely cosmetic.

It's perfectly fine you're not into it. There's theaters I don't like either but the performance comments are incorrect. How something ages is purely personal taste. If it's a theme you've always loved then for you it's not going to feel old in 5 years. I'm sure in 10 even 20 years there will still be medieval rooms and films being enjoyed.
I mean sure dude... but you asked what we think, I answered...

135" is still small to me particularly for the size of that room. But thats up to you.

According to this, the dimensions are not perfect they are on the limit ... What I meant to say is the ceiling being so large is likely to get close to having modes not as evenly distributed as they could be.

For that size ceiling this would be 'perfect'.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 05-21-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I mean sure dude... but you asked what we think, I answered...

135" is still small to me particularly for the size of that room. But thats up to you.
Yes I did ask but your performance assessment was incorrect. Also screen size is based on seating distance not room size. Seating is based on modal behavior and room width. In a room that's 16' wide a 135" screen also fills the wall nicely. But some like to have a huge screen that fills the wall but in this room this would force the seats back , messing up the sub response and placing the angle of the mains too close together. The sound stage would collapse, you'd have audible gaps from main to surround and you'd be too close to the rears. Sound will take a enormous dump.

It's definitely a balance when you're paying attention to both aesthetics and performance.

But I do understand. You're not a fan of the room.
post #33 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Seating is based on modal behavior and room width. In a room that's 16' wide a 135" screen also fills the wall nicely. But some like to have a huge screen that fills the wall but in this room this would force the seats back , messing up the sub response and placing the angle of the mains too close together. The sound stage would collapse, you'd have audible gaps from main to surround and you'd be too close to the rears. Sound will take a enormous dump.
If you think a 135" screen fills a 16ft wide wall nicely then I think you are in the wrong forum lol. I have more viewing angle on my puny 120" screen right now.

Realise that you are not talking to laymens people here, there are many that also know how to model a room.

I disagree with almost all of what I left in the quote especially the bolded because most of the designed theatres in this forum would counter those remarks since those issues can be made to work in most any room it just requires better placemrnt considerations, but I am not going to clog up the thread anymore since its your room and you are set on it.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
If you think a 135" screen fills a 16ft wide wall nicely then I think you are in the wrong forum lol. I have more viewing angle on my puny 120" screen right now.

Realise that you are not talking to laymens people here, there are many that also know how to model a room.

I disagree with almost all of what I left in the quote especially the bolded because most of the designed theatres in this forum would counter those remarks since those issues can be made to work in most any room it just requires better placemrnt considerations, but I am not going to clog up the thread anymore since its your room and you are set on it.
The room is not 18' long acoustically. There's some trickery in the hall wall going on.

You'd have to sit 10.5' from the 120" to have the same viewing angle as I do in this room. But maybe you sit closer I don't know. Some like a larger viewing angle but 45 degrees is a great angle. if you go much larger many find it uncomfortable with a 16:9. But it is preference.

Thanks for your input.

As for the designers here. I'm very good friends with some of them. We talk room design like most talk fishing. Some work for Quest and I may even have them do my acoustic plan for the channel.
Javs and Kanob like this.

Last edited by cdy2179; 05-21-2020 at 06:32 PM.
post #35 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
I’m biased towards a space theme.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #36 of 39 Old 05-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I think your design is awesome! Especially because it's not overdone. I did my room in a darker camel fabric with TBV up front, copied Mr. Hahn My only suggestion would be to keep the front 'purpose built' do whatever with the rest. I had the red curtains flanking the screen but once I put up the TBV, it had to go. Also, I'm sure you know you can buy all that fancy woodwork in a somewhat reasonably priced foam product. Lastly, space themes are everywhere man. If you go that route, chances are that it's already been done. Enjoy
cdy2179 likes this.
post #37 of 39 Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
I think your design is awesome! Especially because it's not overdone. I did my room in a darker camel fabric with TBV up front, copied Mr. Hahn My only suggestion would be to keep the front 'purpose built' do whatever with the rest. I had the red curtains flanking the screen but once I put up the TBV, it had to go. Also, I'm sure you know you can buy all that fancy woodwork in a somewhat reasonably priced foam product. Lastly, space themes are everywhere man. If you go that route, chances are that it's already been done. Enjoy
I've seen the renders this is definitely different than most space themed rooms i seen you guys are all in for a treat. My jaw literally fell to the floor when I seen it lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Mocs123 and cdy2179 like this.
post #38 of 39 Old 05-22-2020, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Thanks! As for the space theme yeah they are common but I haven't seen one like this one. It's looking really good.
Rjloper9 and hd0823 like this.
post #39 of 39 Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Thanks! As for the space theme yeah they are common but I haven't seen one like this one. It's looking really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cdy2179 and hd0823 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page