1Likes
  • 1 Post By cjacobs

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wink Timeless Bonkers Build

I'm glad I have been watching this thread for years. You guys are a rock-solid group and I have learned everything from this forum about soundproofing and theater design.I have enjoyed and been inspired ever since I saw a Magnolia room in a Best Buy. I never have the time to actually share, ask questions ( take up your time) and get a bit excited every time I see a new build here on the forums. I decided to create an account and start my own build to see how it goes. So far I'm running into a few issues. I have tried to take as many pictures as I can and account for all the downfalls of not having enough room, time, and knowledge. I'm falling short.. way short. I'm pretty good with a hammer and have a good woodshop to accomplish just about anything. I think one of my biggest problems is going to be time and cost. Leading an IT company and 3 girls (11,12,13) around the city can be taxing, yet still fun, but time and a thrifty mindset seem to be a problem. So I'll give you my scenario and a few issues I'm running into and will be very blessed when AVS rockstars respond.

I'm building the Timeless Bonkers Theater room and a Game room for the kids ( me too )

I love the idea of soundproofing! I didn't realize until now, just how much I could invest to accomplish it!
Build:
2x4 Walls (16 inch O. C.)
Double 5/8 Drywall
Alot of MDF to build just boxes, Hvac traps, soffits
Basement 8 FT Height
A rough estimate of 978 SQ FT of Drywall to install

Here was my plan for Sound Proofing.
RSIC-1 Clips, Hat Channel, 5/8 Drywall, Green Glue, 5/8 Drywall
I ran the calculations for that amount of Sq. Ft. and I'm coming up and so is an online calculator for the clips to 360 Clips and 857 linear feet of hat channel. Does this seem correct? If that's what I have to pay, I guess I'll just have to eat it Just wanted to get a few other thoughts on the issue at hand.

Things I'm going to do.
Green Glue everything
Acoustic seal all joints.

I attached a few pictures. The one with the ping pong table will be where the theater room is.

Thank you!

SaVee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_153746.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	885.2 KB
ID:	2730042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_153749.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2730044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_153755.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2730046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_153805.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	994.6 KB
ID:	2730048   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_170038.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	861.1 KB
ID:	2730050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_132124.jpg
Size:	854.4 KB
ID:	2730052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_132114.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2730054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_170046.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	885.4 KB
ID:	2730056  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Timeless Bonkers Build

I just finished doing mine. I only did my ceiling with the clips and channel. I did double stud floating walls, so didn’t do channel on them. My ceiling is 15.5 x18. Room is actually 22’, but the front 4 feet were done a little differently due to HVAC system.

So that is about 300 sq feet. I used 20 pieces of 8.5 feet hat channels (170 linear feet). and about 60 clips for it. I had to use about 20% more clips than the online calculator calls for because my joists were spaced at 19.2”, so I had to put the clips every 38.4 inches instead of 48”. You also eat up a little more than you might think putting the clips at the ends.

The good news is I should not have to worry about holding the extra weight of backer boxes and speakers for atmos

You have about 3.5x the square footage I had and about 7x the clips and 5x the hat channel.

I think that either your estimates are too high, or I totally screwed mine up.

I used this guide:

https://acousticalsolutions.com/wp-c...tion-Guide.pdf

If your wall is 8 feet tall, you need 5 rows of clips/ channels, with the clips spaced 4 feet apart. Each row you stagger them by 2’. And you need a few extra for the ends.

So a 20’ long wall would have 5 rows with 7clips, which would be 35clips for that wall. It would also need 12.5 pieces of channel.

A 16 foot wall would be 5 less, so if you had a 16x20 ft room, it would 2 walls with 35 clips each, ceiling with 70 and and 2 walls with 30 each. Giving you 960 sq feet, and 170 clips and 70 pieces of channel (595 linear feet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryce2320 likes this.

My Build - The "CRAVE" Theatre
Custom Home Automation - RaspberryPI Harmony Hacker

Last edited by cjacobs; 05-20-2020 at 09:14 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacobs View Post
I just finished doing mine. I only did my ceiling with the clips and channel. I did double stud floating walls, so didn’t do channel on them. My ceiling is 15.5 x18. Room is actually 22’, but the front 4 feet were done a little differently due to HVAC system.

So that is about 300 sq feet. I used 20 pieces of 8.5 feet hat channels (170 linear feet). and about 60 clips for it. I had to use about 20% more clips than the online calculator calls for because my joists were spaced at 19.2”, so I had to put the clips every 38.4 inches instead of 48”. You also eat up a little more than you might think putting the clips at the ends.

The good news is I should not have to worry about holding the extra weight of backer boxes and speakers for atmos

You have about 3.5x the square footage I had and about 7x the clips and 5x the hat channel.

I think that either your estimates are too high, or I totally screwed mine up.

I used this guide:

If your wall is 8 feet tall, you need 5 rows of clips/ channels, with the clips spaced 4 feet apart. Each row you stagger them by 2’. And you need a few extra for the ends.

So a 20’ long wall would have 5 rows with 7clips, which would be 35clips for that wall. It would also need 12.5 pieces of channel.

A 16 foot wall would be 5 less, so if you had a 16x20 ft room, it would 2 walls with 35 clips each, ceiling with 70 and and 2 walls with 30 each. Giving you 960 sq feet, and 170 clips and 70 pieces of channel (595 linear feet)

Thanks for the update and the link! Been a little busy with work to respond. I think I will purchase a few hundred and see where I land. I'm still a little ways off from installing the clips and have plenty more work to do before than. I'm in a weird situation my main support beam and decoupling that piece from the room. It sticks out about an extra 3 inches and will need to account for that some way.

I'm also still conflicted on projector and TV. I have never had a projector but have supported them over the years with clients. Not theater-quality but office quality.

More to come! ( I'm going camping this weekend. Good to get out of the house)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Timeless Bonkers Build

I had the same issue with a support beam. I built a u shaped piece out of OSB and then hung it using dc04 clips.

I had to use about 10 of them for the beam.

I hung it before I did the horizontal sheets. I don’t know if that is the best way, but that’s what I did. I made it with little angle brackets on the inside and glued it together too. My reason was that I wanted it to hug the beam as close as possible without touching. I think I have about 3/4” clearance around the beam all the way around.

The heads of the dc04 clips are shorter than the hat channel, so nothing touches. My main regret is that I should have screwed the vertical section in from the back side not the front. Putting the drywall over those brackets added a little interference that I had to take care of.

My Build - The "CRAVE" Theatre
Custom Home Automation - RaspberryPI Harmony Hacker

Last edited by cjacobs; 05-22-2020 at 07:59 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savee View Post
I'm in a weird situation my main support beam and decoupling that piece from the room. It sticks out about an extra 3 inches and will need to account for that some way.
You should stop before proceeding and research further about soundproofing. The perimeter stud walls you are building should not be touching the ceiling joists or the support beam. They make clips to isolate that connection.

RSIC-DC04 is what you want to decouple the outside stud walls from your ceiling joists and support beam. Then you don't need any hat channel or RSIC-1 on walls. Only use hat channel and RSIC-1 on walls where you can't use RSIC-DC04, in other words structural, load bearing walls.

Regarding the necessary jog in the wall around the beam, I would bury it inside the soffit, assuming you will have one. Soffits have become unquestioned additions to home theaters, but their origin story has always been a way to hide things you don't want to see.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have been busy as usual. I'm going to get some of those dc04 clips and get busy! I think those will be great for isolating my TV mount( Still on the fence with my space and a projector).

I actually did decide on another brand for decoupling the walls and ceiling. I went with the Hushframe raft and furring strips. I received it all on Saturday. The quality seems great. I'll update as I start that piece of the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
timeless bonkers build

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page