Finishing basement need some direction on theater room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By toddn149

post #1 of 3 Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Finishing basement need some direction on theater room

Ive done a decent amount of research and feel most of it has now caused me to be overwhelmed, than confident in how to approach this. Ill try not to make this long but here goes, and appreciate the help in advance! The room itself will be about 16x23 for the open seating area and about 4 feet in the back of the room for an entrance and small bar top with counter seats or a desk. See attached pic, I know its not the best drawing but something I was able to create as a starting point. Basement is 32'x27' total and plan to split it in half with this build. Ill also have access behind the one section as we will wall off the back part of the basement which has the sump, AC unit, etc so I can put a make shift AV closet behind where I put the TV screen or if you think there is a better way to lay out the AV equipment Im open to that too

Few main objectives:
I want to isolate the sound as best as possible without spending a ton of money. I understand this needs to be done properly or dont do it at all. However, to properly do this, requires more money than I care to spend. Ive already pushed the limit with wife, and when she hears I need to buy 4-6 more speakers, a new receiver, well you get the picture, I want to have the freedom to spend on what is most important and thats to create a space that puts a smile on your face each time you watch something in it. That being said, my contractor has suggest R30 in the ceiling, and with my suggestion 2 sheets of 5/8 drywall(green glue is still up in the air based on the accessories still needed). Putty pads on outlets, since not much money, and trying to limit the duct work in the room(I can move all ducts out except one in the back of the room. Solid core door and potentially a double wall on the one side as the other 2 sides are concrete walls, and feel the wall with the TV I will be doing some sort of double wall there for a closet it if you will and housing a center channel speaker as well.

The next major hurdle is what to do for a TV, the cost of a 85" LED isn't bad right now, but a 120' projector set up seems like the right thing to do in the space. I say at min seating area 13' from screen. My main questions are around the PJ and the screen. AT screen open up the screen area and allow for a better placed center, more in build costs, but is this the right thing to do on a wall to ceiling that will be around 7.5'? Im also not sure where to mount the PJ and worried I will screw this up since once the mount is up, well you're kinda stuck with that area. For the screen is there anything special that needs to be done to that wall its on? With a 7 1/2 foot wall height, what would be the max screen size to do? Can I do a 120' and fit a center underneath the screen or is that just too low and if I go PJ Im forced to hide the speaker behind?

As far as speakers go, I can research more on locations and installing them, but is there a general rule of thumb on where to place 4 Atmos speakers? My joists run across the room, so Id have to nail the location within 16" as I wont be able to move them forward or backward once drywall is up. Location of chairs/couches etc Im not sure will be determined until the space is complete but can get it dialed in close, just not sure how I can account for all this without really being in the space and TV etc all set up. See above question about location for AV equipment, idea is to place behind wall, is this OK? I dont mind creating a small cabinet inside the room though so Im not going outside the room to put in a disc etc

I certainly have plenty more, but these I feel are my main objections right now trying to solve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture[2465].PNG
Views:	42
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	2730040  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddn149 View Post
Ive done a decent amount of research and feel most of it has now caused me to be overwhelmed, than confident in how to approach this.
^This! Yes, same boat here, searching for answers and just ending up with more questions.

I have a similar sized room and situation, so will be following. I wish you the best of luck on the build!

I have been trying to decide on the double 5/8" with green glue versus single layer. I do plan to use isolation clips, hat channel and Rocksull insulation. I really do not want to loose the extra height of the ceiling and have the extra cost. I have heard conflicting stories on which way to go.

Also considering the 85' TV vs PJ, same size. I like how the TV is cheaper, and seems like a lot less effort. I know TV's, but only very little on PJ's. I have a 65" right now 10' from the screen and it satisfies me, but I have not had a 85" or 120" screen before to compare to, so maybe I am easy to please.

Vizio P65 F1, Pioneer SC-95, B&W CM9 S2, CM Centre 2 S2, JBL Studio Surrounds (old college speakers), SVS PC12+ and Klipsch 12 sub, Xbox One X
post #3 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD5 View Post
^This! Yes, same boat here, searching for answers and just ending up with more questions.

I have a similar sized room and situation, so will be following. I wish you the best of luck on the build!

I have been trying to decide on the double 5/8" with green glue versus single layer. I do plan to use isolation clips, hat channel and Rocksull insulation. I really do not want to loose the extra height of the ceiling and have the extra cost. I have heard conflicting stories on which way to go.

Also considering the 85' TV vs PJ, same size. I like how the TV is cheaper, and seems like a lot less effort. I know TV's, but only very little on PJ's. I have a 65" right now 10' from the screen and it satisfies me, but I have not had a 85" or 120" screen before to compare to, so maybe I am easy to please.

Seems like we have some of the same questions to answer! I have a 75” Sony 900 and the 85” 950G is less than the PJ I want(not even counting the screen). It seems like that better way to go cost wise for sure. However if I don’t go PJ I feel I’ll always wonder what if LOL
ROAD5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page