Living room question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Living room question

I am building a new house and will have a dedicated kickass theater room in the basement. That is now all set thanks to you folks’ help. But I am also curious about the living room upstairs. It will have a coffered ceiling and built in bookcases around the TV which is over the fireplace. The living room is directly across from the kitchen, with an island and table in between running a span of about 60 ft. I don’t want to simply use the TV audio by itself as it isn’t that great, and it would be nice to be able to play music in the living room and kitchen and use a variety of sources. I see in many new houses now people using in-ceiling speakers in these setups. I can place a receiver in the built-in bookcases and wire everything, but I’m just a little confused on what type of configuration to use in these setups. Do all the speakers go in the ceiling? Are there any bookcase speakers in the bookcases? Is it 5.1? Are the kitchen speakers set up as Zone 2 on the receiver? What is the industry standard setup in this situation? I keep seeing new houses with speakers in the ceiling in the living rooms and kitchens but it’s unclear to me what the configuration is.

Thanks.

Last edited by Guphanti; 05-23-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-24-2020, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Does the tv have to go over the fireplace? Interior designers often put it there but it's usually too high ergonomically speaking. Mines on the wall adjacent to the fireplace. My living room is wired for 5.1 but with a speaker height of around 9 feet, which is too high, imo. Keeping the tv and speakers around the same height as your ears from a seated position would be my preference, maybe a little higher to account for a few standing guests such as you might have for watching football. If I were the original owner of this house I would've asked for two zone 2 speakers on the back porch, wiring for tv and speakers around 4-6 feet high, and at least two in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. Pictures/blueprints would help give more specific advice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 05-24-2020, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Does the tv have to go over the fireplace? Interior designers often put it there but it's usually too high ergonomically speaking. Mines on the wall adjacent to the fireplace. My living room is wired for 5.1 but with a speaker height of around 9 feet, which is too high, imo. Keeping the tv and speakers around the same height as your ears from a seated position would be my preference, maybe a little higher to account for a few standing guests such as you might have for watching football. If I were the original owner of this house I would've asked for two zone 2 speakers on the back porch, wiring for tv and speakers around 4-6 feet high, and at least two in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. Pictures/blueprints would help give more specific advice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I won't be watching movies or anything serious here because that will happen in my home theater. This is simply a living room TV for watching the news, some shows, and occasionally sports. I'm not really using "Atmos" per se because that type of content really wouldn't be played here since I would be watching movies in the home theater room. I'm looking into putting them in the ceiling because I see a lot of new houses now where they are doing that in the living room and kitchens and I'm curious what the proper configuration is. It also looks cleaner/cooler. I guess I could do a 5.1 (The 3 LCR in the front near the TV, 2 in the back of the room) and then put 2 Zone 2 speakers in the kitchen. Here is a look at the plan for this area as it stands right now:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.18.01 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2731824  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Regarding the speaker question when my house was built they put speakers in several rooms kitchen, mstr br, mstr bath, office, etc all the wires were run to a push button switch in the bedroom closet and then wired to a cheap receiver. While this works and makes for easy switching I prefer the Bluetooth setups I used in my basement. Both were made by Pyle and purchased off of Amazon. I used four 8" speakers in the recroom and two in the exercise room both have their own receiver and work off of my iPhone. They work very well so well in fact I am thinking of getting rid of the switch/receiver (like the main floor house setup) I have in my wood shop and converting to a Pyle setup. truth be told we don't use the main floor speakers very often so haven't swapped them yet.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page