Our new build Home Theater design - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
LostBoyNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs up Our new build Home Theater design

I'm really thankful to be in the position where we're making the space of two bedrooms into a dedicated home theater in our new build home. Being my first home theater though, of course I'm overflowing with questions. I know doing research is the #1 priority, so I hoped to ask some of the questions here. Thanks in advance for any help!

Our room is 5.82 x 3.48 meters / 19.09 x 11.4 feet, and 2.4 meters high / 7.87 feet high.
Our screen is a used 130" Studiotek 130 16:9 Fixed Screen, so about 2.9 x 1.6 meters / 9.5 x 5.2 feet.
Our speakers are the Klipsch RC-64 II Center, 2 x Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, 2 x Klipsch RS-62 II Rears and 2 x Power Sound Audio XV15se 15" Subwoofers.
Our receive is a Pioneer VSX-LX70, but likely I'll look to upgrade that and ideally maybe add a couple of speakers for an Atmos setup if that's possible.
I haven't decided on a projector yet.

Ideally looking to have two rows of seats, and build a riser, but I'm not sure if the room isn't quite big enough for that? Hopefully it's ok having the fronts by the walls too, but I realise it's probably not ideal.

At the moment though we're looking at colors and thinking about this for the walls, ceiling and the door: https://www.dulux.co.nz/colour/all-c..._duluxnz_28377 But I do wonder if it's dark enough? The darker shades certainly show marks easier though.

Then I was thinking about doing all the walls with curtains to help with the sound too, and it seems recommended to have them about 3 times the length of the wall space, so I'd need about 45 meters / 147 feet. Something like this would be in budget: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/home-styl...rtain_p0037800 (a little under US$ 1000) excluding rails etc. They're Polyester/Cotton, black, insulated and plain textured and I know someone managed to get them in a 2.4 m drop which is the height of our room, so I'm hoping I'll be able to as well.

Any recommendations in terms of what to think about with the paint and / or curtains would be a great help Of course feel free to ask any questions at all too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2733464  
LostBoyNZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sirjaymz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston<>Anchorage
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyNZ View Post
I'm really thankful to be in the position where we're making the space of two bedrooms into a dedicated home theater in our new build home. Being my first home theater though, of course I'm overflowing with questions. I know doing research is the #1 priority, so I hoped to ask some of the questions here. Thanks in advance for any help!

Our room is 5.82 x 3.48 meters / 19.09 x 11.4 feet, and 2.4 meters high / 7.87 feet high.
Our screen is a used 130" Studiotek 130 16:9 Fixed Screen, so about 2.9 x 1.6 meters / 9.5 x 5.2 feet.
Our speakers are the Klipsch RC-64 II Center, 2 x Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, 2 x Klipsch RS-62 II Rears and 2 x Power Sound Audio XV15se 15" Subwoofers.
Our receive is a Pioneer VSX-LX70, but likely I'll look to upgrade that and ideally maybe add a couple of speakers for an Atmos setup if that's possible.
I haven't decided on a projector yet.

Ideally looking to have two rows of seats, and build a riser, but I'm not sure if the room isn't quite big enough for that? Hopefully it's ok having the fronts by the walls too, but I realise it's probably not ideal.

At the moment though we're looking at colors and thinking about this for the walls, ceiling and the door: https://www.dulux.co.nz/colour/all-c..._duluxnz_28377 But I do wonder if it's dark enough? The darker shades certainly show marks easier though.

Then I was thinking about doing all the walls with curtains to help with the sound too, and it seems recommended to have them about 3 times the length of the wall space, so I'd need about 45 meters / 147 feet. Something like this would be in budget: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/home-styl...rtain_p0037800 (a little under US$ 1000) excluding rails etc. They're Polyester/Cotton, black, insulated and plain textured and I know someone managed to get them in a 2.4 m drop which is the height of our room, so I'm hoping I'll be able to as well.

Any recommendations in terms of what to think about with the paint and / or curtains would be a great help Of course feel free to ask any questions at all too.
Congratulations on the new home and welcome to the forum.
Starting with a drawing and a plan is the right move. Good job. Make a budget as well. Continue to read AVS Forum to educate yourself and ask questions.

"Our speakers are the Klipsch RC-64 II Center, 2 x Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, 2 x Klipsch RS-62 II Rears"... my same setup.
You should be able to do 2 rows in 19'. @deauxt was at that same length, and his turned out really well.
IMHO, definitely go with Atmos receiver and speaker layout. (7.2.4) or more.

As for the color, definitely go dark. By making the room darker, it's more immersive when watching. No bright spots in your FOV.

Not sure what you're thinking on the curtains though ... "to help with the sound too". This statement is confusing.
If you are using curtains for sound proofing or acoustic treatments, I'm unsure.
Sound "proofing" - This requires mass, isolating, decoupling, etc.
Acoustic treatments - absorption, dampening, reflections, dispersion, scattering. - These are intended to make a more enveloping balanced sound within the space itself and improve the intended directors vision of the story.
Two threads highly recommend reading that will help you get a clear understanding of your intentions.

Acoustical Treatments Master Thread
Soundproofing master thread


You can do speakers by the walls, however, need to have acoustic treatments in mind for the audio reflections, etc. Ensure they are toed in towards the MLP however.

Again, welcome to the forum. Good luck on your build.

HT1.0 | HT2.05 | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82II/RC-64II/RS-42II/RS-41II/RB-61II/CDT3800-C-II
sirjaymz is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 05-29-2020, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
LostBoyNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Congratulations on the new home and welcome to the forum.
Starting with a drawing and a plan is the right move. Good job. Make a budget as well. Continue to read AVS Forum to educate yourself and ask questions.

"Our speakers are the Klipsch RC-64 II Center, 2 x Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, 2 x Klipsch RS-62 II Rears"... my same setup.
You should be able to do 2 rows in 19'. @deauxt was at that same length, and his turned out really well.
IMHO, definitely go with Atmos receiver and speaker layout. (7.2.4) or more.

As for the color, definitely go dark. By making the room darker, it's more immersive when watching. No bright spots in your FOV.

Not sure what you're thinking on the curtains though ... "to help with the sound too". This statement is confusing.
If you are using curtains for sound proofing or acoustic treatments, I'm unsure.
Sound "proofing" - This requires mass, isolating, decoupling, etc.
Acoustic treatments - absorption, dampening, reflections, dispersion, scattering. - These are intended to make a more enveloping balanced sound within the space itself and improve the intended directors vision of the story.
Two threads highly recommend reading that will help you get a clear understanding of your intentions.

Acoustical Treatments Master Thread
Soundproofing master thread


You can do speakers by the walls, however, need to have acoustic treatments in mind for the audio reflections, etc. Ensure they are toed in towards the MLP however.

Again, welcome to the forum. Good luck on your build.
Thanks! I had a look for deauxt's thread (here) and wow that came really well yeah! That's a great sign

Must admit the 7.2.4 Atmos setup looks tempting. I'll have to see if it all fits into the budget but I think there's nothing wrong with adding more later if needed. Just great to plan for it now I guess as I can put in the wiring etc.

Sorry I should have been more specific with the curtains comment. I'd read they work well for absorbing sound to cut down on reflections, which makes the surround sound more accurate. For sound proofing, we're getting double 13mm / 0.5 inch plasterboards on both sides of the walls (total of 52mm / 2 inches of plasterboard) and r2.6 fibreglass insulation in the walls. As with everything I know there's certainly more we can do there, but hopefully that does the job well.

Thanks for the links to those threads too, I'll check those out.

Likewise thanks for the advice on what to do with the front speakers
LostBoyNZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 05-29-2020, 08:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 33,677
Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6671 Post(s)
Liked: 6548
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyNZ View Post
I'd read they work well for absorbing sound to cut down on reflections, which makes the surround sound more accurate.

Actually when you cut down all reflections you make the surround sound more specific to the location of the speakers, an artificial sound stage with easily identifiable pinpoint sounds that don't sound surrounding. You need some reflections to properly reproduce what the sound engineers put in product. When you eliminate all side wall reflections the front sound stage which is often a large orchestra recording the score will sound like a bunch of musicians sitting between the left and right speakers, when you have sound mix of partially absorbed, controled reflections and diffusion you close your eyes and the orchestra is sitting in an orchestra hall. Bottom line is too much absorption is not a good thing.
trancedigital likes this.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
LostBoyNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Actually when you cut down all reflections you make the surround sound more specific to the location of the speakers, an artificial sound stage with easily identifiable pinpoint sounds that don't sound surrounding. You need some reflections to properly reproduce what the sound engineers put in product. When you eliminate all side wall reflections the front sound stage which is often a large orchestra recording the score will sound like a bunch of musicians sitting between the left and right speakers, when you have sound mix of partially absorbed, controled reflections and diffusion you close your eyes and the orchestra is sitting in an orchestra hall. Bottom line is too much absorption is not a good thing.
Thanks for that tip, that's good to know. I watched some of these videos on absorption and reflection here today: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwx...mIaH1jQ/videos And it's very interesting to learn about absorption panels and combo panels.

It seems like the Klipsch RC-64 speaker has terrible off-axis sound and he talks about how you have to absorb everywhere in that case. But I have no idea if that applies to the mark II version as well, or my Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts or Klipsch RS-62 II Rears.

I see there's some panels available here in New Zealand which I could get a few of, and then experiment with having a couple at the back, and few on either side, using the "mirror trick". I can see how this all gets confusing very fast haha. But I'm certainly learning a lot.

Last edited by LostBoyNZ; 05-30-2020 at 03:11 AM.
LostBoyNZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
dedicated home theater , design help , new build , new zealand

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off