Dedicated building for home theater - feedback please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2020, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dedicated building for home theater - feedback please

Hello all, I have been following various home theater build threads on AVS and they are super helpful. Now that I am ready to build my own dedicated home theater, I look forward to your inputs for getting things perfectly right.

I am planning to set up my theater in a building measuring 34' (d) x 20'6" (w) x 14'9" (h). To avoid noise and heat issues, I would like to put all the equipment in a separate machine room. For this, I will be adding a partition wall to create two rooms in the building - one with 7' x 20'6" dimension that would act as a machine room and the other being 26'2" x 20'6" for theater space. The building has no windows. I have attached a very rough sketch of the layout that I am trying to achieve. The building has no windows and the theater space would be painted in black/grey to achieve good light control.

Thinking of setting up 9.6.1 immersive audio - unified speaker layout for Atmos/DTS:x Pro/Auro 3D. Regarding the seating, I would be putting just 5 seats and I believe I wouldn't need two rows of seating as the room is pretty wide. I am also hoping that having just one row of seats would not only help me in avoiding building a riser, but would also aid me in perfecting the immersive sound with just one row of seating to work on. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Please find below the list of equipment that I would be opting for.
Speakers - JBL M2 for LCR and SCS8 for surrounds/ceiling
Amplifiers - JBL Pro amps
Pre-amp - Trinnov Altitude 16
Subwoofers - Atleast 4 numbers of 18" subwoofers
Screen - Acoustically transparent 2.35:1 180"-200" diagonal
Projector - Looking at Sony VW5000ES or JVC RS4500

I have a couple of questions about the partition wall that I am planning to build.
1. I am not sure about the best location of the theater space entry door placement along the partition wall. I have placed the door on the left side of the partition wall on the design, but I was wondering if it must be moved to the center (below the projector location) to maintain audio symmetry. I would also like to ensure that the door placement doesn't impact speaker placement and acoustic panel placement. Please share your thoughts.
2. Please let me know if you see any issues with AV racks placement in the machine room on the design
3. I would like to put the projector in the machine room and make a port hole in the partition wall. Do you see any issues with this approach?

Please let me know if there is anything I need to look at. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.png
Views:	60
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	2737736  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 05:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6672 Post(s)
Liked: 6555
If you are building this from scratch I would not place the entrance such that you have to walk through the machine room. A little FYI the freestanding JBL demo room with Trinov processing they haul around the country to trade shows (CEDIA) has the door on a side wall. Actually two, an entrance on one side and an exit on the other. The room is one of the best sounding room I've been in. You can put acoustic treatments on doors so they perform just like a wall. If you are only doing a single row of seating I wouldn't use 6 ceiling Atmos speakers, only 4. An acoustic treatment plan will be critical to achieve the best performance from you planned investment in gear. You can get special glass for your projector porthole from Edmund Scientific. Anti reflective coating, high transmission rating. Mount at an angle.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-06-2020 at 06:50 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
If you are building this from scratch I would not place the entrance such that you have to walk through the machine room. A little FYI the freestanding JBL demo room with Trinov processing they haul around the country to trade shows (CEDIA) has the door on a side wall. Actually two, an entrance on one side and an exit on the other. The room is one of the best sounding room I've been in. You can put acoustic treatments on doors so they perform just like a wall. If you are only doing a single row of seating I wouldn't use 6 ceiling Atmos speakers, only 4. An acoustic treatment plan will be critical to achieve the best performance from you planned investment in gear. You can get special glass for your projector porthole from Edmund Scientific. Anti reflective coating, high transmission rating. Mount at an angle.
Thanks for chiming in. Unfortunately, the outer walls/door are already in place and I was wondering if I should create another door on a side wall. If it is purely from an aesthetics point of view, I don't mind walking through the machine room. If my only option is to have a door on the rear wall of the theater space, please let me know the ideal location of the theater door.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding acoustic treatments and projector porthole that I could look at. Regarding the speakers, I am going to put 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos and the rest of the ceiling speakers for Auro 3D and DTS:X Pro (High centre and Voice of God).

Should I look at any other aspect at this point of time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 12:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You may want to change your perspective on the machine room instead think of it and design it as a lobby. maybe put the theater door on the same side as the exterior door. then stick the equipment on the far end out of the beaten path. Maybe a snack area
Bryce2320 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiht View Post
Hello all, I have been following various home theater build threads on AVS and they are super helpful. Now that I am ready to build my own dedicated home theater, I look forward to your inputs for getting things perfectly right.

I am planning to set up my theater in a building measuring 34' (d) x 20'6" (w) x 14'9" (h). To avoid noise and heat issues, I would like to put all the equipment in a separate machine room. For this, I will be adding a partition wall to create two rooms in the building - one with 7' x 20'6" dimension that would act as a machine room and the other being 26'2" x 20'6" for theater space. The building has no windows. I have attached a very rough sketch of the layout that I am trying to achieve. The building has no windows and the theater space would be painted in black/grey to achieve good light control.

Thinking of setting up 9.6.1 immersive audio - unified speaker layout for Atmos/DTS:x Pro/Auro 3D. Regarding the seating, I would be putting just 5 seats and I believe I wouldn't need two rows of seating as the room is pretty wide. I am also hoping that having just one row of seats would not only help me in avoiding building a riser, but would also aid me in perfecting the immersive sound with just one row of seating to work on. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Please find below the list of equipment that I would be opting for.
Speakers - JBL M2 for LCR and SCS8 for surrounds/ceiling
Amplifiers - JBL Pro amps
Pre-amp - Trinnov Altitude 16
Subwoofers - Atleast 4 numbers of 18" subwoofers
Screen - Acoustically transparent 2.35:1 180"-200" diagonal
Projector - Looking at Sony VW5000ES or JVC RS4500

I have a couple of questions about the partition wall that I am planning to build.
1. I am not sure about the best location of the theater space entry door placement along the partition wall. I have placed the door on the left side of the partition wall on the design, but I was wondering if it must be moved to the center (below the projector location) to maintain audio symmetry. I would also like to ensure that the door placement doesn't impact speaker placement and acoustic panel placement. Please share your thoughts.
2. Please let me know if you see any issues with AV racks placement in the machine room on the design
3. I would like to put the projector in the machine room and make a port hole in the partition wall. Do you see any issues with this approach?

Please let me know if there is anything I need to look at. Thank you!
Very nice selection in components. However, I don't think you may be using the Trinnov to its full capability. Further, The seating is a best viewing, and also a bit wide. Using seats of this width is where a Trinnov's capabilities can shine! Let me know if you'd like some help with that.

Shawn Byrne
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA, THX.
Theater Design Information and Examples

[email protected]
[email protected]
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You may want to change your perspective on the machine room instead think of it and design it as a lobby. maybe put the theater door on the same side as the exterior door. then stick the equipment on the far end out of the beaten path. Maybe a snack area
That's a good idea, thank you Jeff. I have made some changes to the design based on your inputs. I believe the theater door must be located along the back wall that would cause no interference to the rear speaker positioning and my updated design reflects this. I am still wondering about the importance of room symmetry in terms of door placement from acoustics perspective. Please enlighten me.

If you think I should incorporate any other layout change, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
Very nice selection in components. However, I don't think you may be using the Trinnov to its full capability. Further, The seating is a best viewing, and also a bit wide. Using seats of this width is where a Trinnov's capabilities can shine! Let me know if you'd like some help with that.
Thank you. I will PM you once the partition wall is constructed and when the room is ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout_v2.png
Views:	35
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	2738118  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can get special glass for your projector porthole from Edmund Scientific. Anti reflective coating, high transmission rating. Mount at an angle.
Jeff, could you please provide me the link for the glass that I could use. I checked Edmund Scientific website and I couldn't decide about the type/size of the glass that I am supposed to purchase. Please help.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiht View Post
Thank you. I will PM you once the partition wall is constructed and when the room is ready.
Well, that probably wouldn’t be The best idea. It would likely be too late and not as optimal. Allow me to be forthright. Your current depicted layout needs quite a bit of work. If you intend to spend that kind of money in gear, you may wish to have a better layout.

Shawn Byrne
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA, THX.
Theater Design Information and Examples

[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page