Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-21-2020, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Power outlets

Hi,
I am very new to home theatre but I always wanted to have a dedicated home theatre.
We signed a contract with builder for a new construction house.
I plan to make home theatre in the second floor loft around 18' x14 '.

I have to let the builders know how many power outlets i want and where in the room.

A. I want to put LED strip lights on the ceiling.
My questions are:

1. where should I have the power outlets for LED strip lights? . If I connect it to the outlet in the lower part of the wall, wires will be visible, which i don't want.

There will be an attic above the room..
Should I put outlet in the attic, and make a hole interior ceiling and connect the LED lights to outlet in
attic?
Or should I put an outlet in the ceiling ?

2.I understand that a single strip of LED is not enough for the room and I will have to connect couple of them together.
Is 1 power outlet enough or do I need couple of them?

B I also want to put sconce lights on the walls. Builders said they can put outlets on the wall but not lights and if I want to make any change, I will have to get it done myself after closing the house .

1. Suppose I have he builder put 2 outlets on each side wall.

Will I be able to take those outlets out and put sconce lights there later without tearing down the dry walls?
Are the wires for lights and outlets different?
Even if it is possible to take the outlets out and add sconce lights later, how do I turn those lights on?
Are there battery operated sconce lights which can be regulated by,let's say, smart phone?

Thanks
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-22-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Hi Sam,

If you have attic access and your LED strips will be around the perimeter of the ceiling, then I would put 2 quad receptacles up in the attic in opposite corners of the attic over your ceiling. Not so close to the edge where the roof makes it hard to work on them, but not in the middle, either.

For the sconces, I would decide exactly where you want them and tell the builder to wire them to a switch by the door. They will just be open boxes with wires hanging out.

For the rest of the outlets/receptacles, I would have the builder install the minimum number required by code, except where you plan to put your equipment. In that location, I would ask the builder to put 2 quad receptacles and have them wired on a separate branch circuit from everything else in the room or house.

The only difference in the wiring for your lights/sconces vs the other outlets/receptacles is that the lights will be wired via a switch so you can turn them on and off. Everything else between the electrical panel and what you can see on the wall is identical.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quad.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2746948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sconce.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2746950  
Sponsored Links