Sojo Theater Revamp - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sojo Theater Revamp

The people we bought the house from got the room far enough along to where it was all pre-wired and had the drywall up. Our initial plan was to slap a coat of paint on it and go cheap… we kind of went overboard from the initial plan but we are happy with the results other than the Klipsch WISA setup. I knew WISA was a gamble and there was a very good chance I’d be where I am today - trying to replace it. My biggest gripe is how often I have to “re-sync” all the speakers(they go out of sync in the middle of movies/events, sometimes it happens more than once during a movie). Also, the low end punch was pretty disappointing from day 1.

If I didn’t have to “re-sync” it so much I wouldn’t be thinking about replacing it.

75% movies / 25% sports
Goals:
get away from WISA
get more low end
In wall surround/rear speakers
Nice to have: In wall LCR speakers to keep away from kid(s)

Current setup
Projector Sony VPL-HW45ES (keeping)
Screen: Elite Screens AEON 120” (likely keeping)
Klipsch WISA 5.2 (actually bought the 7.2 setup but there just wasn’t a great way to mount the side speakers)

New setup:
Receiver: ?
LCR: ?
Surrounds: ?
Atmos: ?
Sub amp(s): ?
Subwoofers: (2) Dayton Ultimax 18”
Acoustic Treatment Panels: ?

I have some flexibility here but the ideal budget would be ~5k… (maybe 1.5k receiver, $500 amp, 3k speakers not including the subs?)

Existing / Constants
120” screen (I am open to AT screen but I can’t really go bigger because the back row won’t be able to see the bottom of the screen)
Seating positions are pretty much fixed. I don’t want to rip out/modify the platform.
First row is highest priority for sound - second row would be nice for it to sound good. Third row I don’t care about.
Purchased 2 18” Ultimax subs
Essentially a 22’6” x 20’7” room

Questions?
To Atmos or not to Atmos? There are ceiling challenges in this room - just getting the wires up there will be pain because the room is under the garage and there are steel beams in my way. I think its doable but it will be a lot of work. Also there isn’t a lot of room between the drywall and the garage floor - probably 4” at most - I’ll have to check it again but when I installed the lights it was tight.

In wall LCR suggestions?
If I go in wall, is it worth getting an AT screen and putting all 3 LCR behind that? or does my left and right need to stay out wide of the screen due to the room size? I really like the Elusive 1099’s but there is no way I can give up that much room. I’m open to a DIY solution though.

Planning to go sealed for my Ultimax subs - any reason to go ported?

What else am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.png
Views:	15
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	2755696   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCcIAGe.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2755698   Click image for larger version

Name:	laeH9pW.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2755700   Click image for larger version

Name:	5FBN9sR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	2755702  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also, not that it matters but we started this build about 3 years ago and it took 9 months or so (we did it at the same time we finished the basement).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page