Where to get "slide-in" AV rack? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-08-2004, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are getting a new house built and we'll have the PJ in the bonus room upstairs. The attached picture will show the furniture layout, as well as the screen placement. To the left of the screen there is a large walk-in closet, and I want to install an AV rack/cabinet in that closet.

What would be ideal to purchase would be an AV rack that has a trim edge already on the front. Then I just cut a hole in the wall and slide the cabinet into the hole. (With appropriate supports of course.) Instant "clean" look without building a door/trim/etc.

Questions:

I know practically nothing about AV racks. Can I purchase a pre-made cabinet like this?

Will heat dissipation be an issue? The builder will make whatever mods I need to make this work, so I could have them put an AC vent in the closet. (Or perhaps just a small return would be better. It would pull cooler room air through the vented AV cabinet and then out the closet.)

Any other opinions? I'm already getting cable, phone, and a dedicated 20-amp circuit run to the closet. Also, the builder will run a "data pipe" from the PJ to the closet for me.

Components are pretty typical. AV receiver, HD cable box, dvd player, Xbox. And for the curious, I'm using Floorplan 3D for the drawing. It's a little more unwieldy than I would like, but works okay.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-08-2004, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are several companies who specialize in in-wall racks. The sky is the limit as to how you can configure them. An air return would be wise and adding a fan to your rack can also help with temperature control.

check.

AVRak

Raxxess

and

Middle Atlantic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page