Construction Begins - November Sky Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 681 Old 08-15-2005, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

I have about 1/4" gap between the top plate of this wall and the existing beam for the 1st floor. I want to keep this de-coupled, but I'm not sure the best way to attach it. I though about using rubber spacers in between and just screwing it together. Here's a closeup of what I mean. Any ideas?

I can relate to this problem.
In the end, my theater design and the beam going across my ceiling did not factor into my construction. But, for quite some time I thought it was going to be a real obstacle. At the time, I was planning on doing exactly what you are mentioning. There is a rubber and plastics dealer in my area that would custom design/build whatever I wanted. The key was, I felt that just any rubber would not work. A hard rubber surface would probably transfer sound just as badly as wood.
I was going to use a soft rubbery compound.
Then, I was also afraid of the rubber product compacting over time and maybe even drying out, loosing its effectiveness. In the end, there were just to many negatives outweighing the positives and I decided against running my wall under the structural support beam.
I now have an unwanted post in back area of my theater, but sound isolation was a major concern of mine and I have spent a lot of money to achieve isolation from the rest of my home. I didn't want to roll the dice.
I would talk with the guys at Audio Alloy. (makers of Green Glue). Perhaps they have a recommendation for you. Perhaps the GG would work in your situation.

Good luck

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 681 Old 08-15-2005, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

It is never to early to get your gear.
You should have your speakers for the purpose of knowing how big you are going to make your columns. Your center channel is another consideration as to how big of an area you will need for it.
You don't want to get you self pigeon holed into not being able to get the speakers you want because you don't have the room for them.

Craig

I think I've settled on Ascends. I've just read too much good stuff about them and they're more in the wifes price range. I'm also looking at the Aperions as well, but they're more money and I haven't as much about them. The Rockets are just a bit out of my range....
post #33 of 681 Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I can relate to this problem.
In the end, my theater design and the beam going across my ceiling did not factor into my construction. But, for quite some time I thought it was going to be a real obstacle. At the time, I was planning on doing exactly what you are mentioning. There is a rubber and plastics dealer in my area that would custom design/build whatever I wanted. The key was, I felt that just any rubber would not work. A hard rubber surface would probably transfer sound just as badly as wood.
I was going to use a soft rubbery compound.
Then, I was also afraid of the rubber product compacting over time and maybe even drying out, loosing its effectiveness. In the end, there were just to many negatives outweighing the positives and I decided against running my wall under the structural support beam.
I now have an unwanted post in back area of my theater, but sound isolation was a major concern of mine and I have spent a lot of money to achieve isolation from the rest of my home. I didn't want to roll the dice.
I would talk with the guys at Audio Alloy. (makers of Green Glue). Perhaps they have a recommendation for you. Perhaps the GG would work in your situation.

Good luck

Craig

I might be able to use DC04 clips.... My beam is about 5.5" wide, and I used 2x8's for this wall. So, my hope is that I'll be able to attach them to hold the wall in place. That will also keep things de-coupled.

As far as GG, I'm still on the fence about it.... It will probably boil down to cost and if I can talk my wife into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 681 Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

I think I've settled on Ascends. I've just read too much good stuff about them and they're more in the wifes price range. I'm also looking at the Aperions as well, but they're more money and I haven't as much about them. The Rockets are just a bit out of my range....

Jerrod and Craig,

I haven't posted this in my thread yet because I haven't gotten to it, but I'm going with the Ascend 340s in the front. I haven't bought them yet. Because my side surrounds are in a weird location (above the door) and the fact that I didn't want columns, I'm putting in in-ceilings for the side surrounds. I just decided to match the rear surrounds as well, instead of going with in-walls or on-walls. I did a little investigation (including talking to Ascend) and Ascend recommends the S622TRs to match the Ascends. I ordered two pair last week from two different companies and one arrived today. They'll fit perfectly where I need them in the side soffit. Also, the in-ceilings that I put in the bar/gameroom are Hometech, which apparently are also made by Sonance. Anyway, they're pretty reasonable for surrounds. I plan on getting the Ascends in the not so distant future, when I have the cash. In the meantime I'll start building my proscenium and stage using the Ascend dimensions published in mind and adding some for flexibility or change of mind later.

Edit:
Here's the Sonance site

Bud
post #35 of 681 Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Jerrod and Craig,

I haven't posted this in my thread yet because I haven't gotten to it, but I'm going with the Ascend 340s in the front. I haven't bought them yet. Because my side surrounds are in a weird location (above the door) and the fact that I didn't want columns, I'm putting in in-ceilings for the side surrounds. I just decided to match the rear surrounds as well, instead of going with in-walls or on-walls. I did a little investigation (including talking to Ascend) and Ascend recommends the S622TRs to match the Ascends. I ordered two pair last week from two different companies and one arrived today. They'll fit perfectly where I need them in the side soffit. Also, the in-ceilings that I put in the bar/gameroom are Hometech, which apparently are also made by Sonance. Anyway, they're pretty reasonable for surrounds. I plan on getting the Ascends in the not so distant future, when I have the cash. In the meantime I'll start building my proscenium and stage using the Ascend dimensions published in mind and adding some for flexibility or change of mind later.

Edit:
Here's the Sonance site

Bud

I'm planning on the 340's for front, left and right. The 170's for the side and rear surrounds. For a sub, I'm leaning towards the SVS 20-39 PCi. The cylindrical shape will make it easier to fit behind/beside the screen.
post #36 of 681 Old 08-15-2005, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More work done today. I took the day off and worked on things while the HVAC guys were moving my trunkline.

Here's where it used to be.....

The next 2 pictures show where the HVAC return will be in the HT. It's going to mounted on the left side wall, behind the prosceniuim so it's completely out of sight. It will be at the ceiling level and an 8" supply to the room will also enter in this area. The HVAC guys will have this run tomorrow.... then I'll frame around it.

This is the completed front wall, taken from my bar/kitchen area. The pool table will be in the area round the sawhorses.

This one is taken from the back of the HT, looking at the front wall. It is a staggered stud wall and you can see the opening for the return on the left. On the right side, I'll have another 8" supply coming into the HT. I'll build a soffit down the left and right sides of the room, and plan to make a tray with rope lighting in it. You can see the mess behind the wall.

Not bad for a day's work..... The HVAC crew is coming back tomorrow to finish up the first flor stuff and will run the ductwork for the basement. I'll buy the heat pump and air handler sometime in the future, when I have the $$$.
post #37 of 681 Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 PM

Liked: 10
My aperion speakers just arrived. I've yet to hook them up in the desired setup (waiting for paint to dry before mounting them), but I did take the center out and hooked it up. It sounds great. The speakers are solid. I'd definitely check them out, and there is no risk for 30 days.
post #38 of 681 Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Aperion's.... the free return shipping sure does make it inviting to try them out.

Well, the HVAC guys finished the rough-in of all my new ductwork today. I'll post pics in a couple days. Right now, I'm sitting in an airport, with a delayed flight. Flying on the east coast during summer time sure is fun!
post #39 of 681 Old 08-17-2005, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, all of my HVAC rough-in is done. It only set me back a cool $2,500... but I feel it was well spent since I have no experience with HVAC and it certainly wasn't a 1 man job......

Here's the front left corner of the HT where the return box is. A 10" duct is attached and it's a standard 14x20 box. I'll mount this right in the top corner and it will be out of sight behind the proscenium and fabric. There are 2 - 8" supply ducts coming into the room and you can see 1 of them in this pic.

This one is taken from the front... you can see the supply ducts on the sides. I will arrange them so they blow air out towards the middle of the room, instead of downwards.

This is where the new air handler is gonna go. Most likely I'll be installing a Carrier system that controls both temperature and humidity. They put a VFD on the air handler so it can control the fan speed. For humidity control, it runs the fan at a slow speed to allow the coils to remove moisture, but not really affect the temperature too much. I like that feature, especially since this is in a basement.

Another one from the outside of the room, looking at the screen wall.

I have some more framing to finish up and quite a bit of wiring to do before my first inspection.
post #40 of 681 Old 08-17-2005, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was going to use this box for my Grafik Eye, but after reading the Sticky thread, I see that a 3 1/2" masonry box is recommended. This box I have is only 2 1/2" deep. Can you get this deeper box at HD or Lowe's?

post #41 of 681 Old 08-22-2005, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Spent more time working over the weekend... just trying to get my framing done for the rest of the basement.

This picture shows the HT equipment rack location. On the left side wall, I'll put movie posters and maybe some Dolby, DTS and THX signs...

This leads to the playroom that will be in the other side of the basement. Access to the existing HVAC unit and a couple closets in here.

This is the bathroom entrance.

Unfortunately, my wife is on a business trip for the next 10 days.... so it will be tough to get much done since I have to take care of our 2 year old.
post #42 of 681 Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Wow. Certainly looks like you have progressed from when I saw it back in July. Can't wait to get back up there and see the latest.

Melissa has been begging to get up there. Anyhow, saw your thread and wanted to let you know it looks great.

Talk soon.

Robert Kohn
Orlando, FL
post #43 of 681 Old 09-14-2005, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK04 View Post

Wow. Certainly looks like you have progressed from when I saw it back in July. Can't wait to get back up there and see the latest.

Melissa has been begging to get up there. Anyhow, saw your thread and wanted to let you know it looks great.

Talk soon.

Robert Kohn
Orlando, FL

I guess I missed your post somehow... Lori told me you aren't starting the business up here now. Too bad about that.... You're more than welcome anytime to stop by!
post #44 of 681 Old 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More progress.... the past couple of weeks have been dedicated to finishing up all the framing and working on soffits. I will post pictures in a couple days once I have a chance.

For the soffits, I used 2x4's instead of 2x2's or something else. When I bought all of my lumber, I bought 2x12's, even though I only needed 8 and 10 footers. I figured I would use the left over pieces on the soffits and it's worked pretty well so far. What a time consuming, tedious process is it to build those and put them up on your own.

The next step is to finish the rest of the framing/soffits and then to buy all of the light housings, RSIC clips for the ceiling and walls, RG6 and Cat 6 wires, etc. Then drywalling wil start.
post #45 of 681 Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 PM

where R U buyin' your RSIC clips from?
post #46 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jerrod,

Dude, two months have passed, are you still movning forward or stalled?

Bud
post #47 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerjr View Post

where R U buyin' your RSIC clips from?

I haven't bought them yet, but will most likely get them from members bpape or Dennis.
post #48 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
Tell your wife.....I love the name of your theater. Not only is it original and sounds cool, it means something to you.

I have a dedicated HT up my sleeve also but I'm being very tight-lipped about it. I just hope someone doesn't take my theater name before my opening date.

Good luck and have fun!
post #49 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Jerrod,

Dude, two months have passed, are you still movning forward or stalled?

Bud

I'm still around. Work has been extremely busy lately, plus I had 4 nieces/nephews for a week that were displaced because of Hurricane Wilma, Penn State is good this year so Saturdays have been dedicated to football, the list goes on and on. Like you, I have an entire basement (1800-1900 sq ft) that I'm finishing, so I can't focus all my time in 1 room.

Actually, I've done quite a bit, but it's the little things, but has to be done. I've been working on soffits, wiring, recessed cans, more wiring, final framing stuff, etc..... I'll post some pictures tonight if I can get to it.

I checked out your thread a few nights ago. Looks like you're coming along! I think I've made the decision that I'm not going to do the drywall by myself. It's just too much!
post #50 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can understand and relate. I just wanted to see how things were going. Life takes its turns, glad you're still progressing.

Still plugging away as you have seen. Trying to pick up the pace some, stealing a few hours here and there during the week and trying to maximize productive time on the weekends. Seems like I keep going through buckets of mud, but it's slow getting to that finish line.

Can understand the drywall decision. I knew it would be some hard work and take some time ( trying to find something else witty to say here to make it sound like it wasn't toooo bad, but I think all the drywall dust is getting to me) but I'm almost at the end of that road. I think I'd do it again assuming I had the time.

Looking forward to your pics when you get to them.

Bud
post #51 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is taken from the kitchen area, looking at the HT. Soffits on the sides are finally done!

What a mess this is! My builder just didn't do a good job at all on wiring. They had the CAT 5, RG6 and security system wiring just runn all over the place, parallel to electric wiring, in the same holes thru joists, just a mess. I spent a good4-6 hours pulling all of this back as far as I could. Then, I ran it all separately and did it the right way. I had thoughts of ripping out the CAT5 and putting in CAT6. Like I said, I had thoughts.....

I moved the box to the other side of the wall. All of the low voltage wiring, phone, cable, etc will be in this closet under the stairs. I'm also going to run the whole house audio from here too. Probably with a CAV6.6 from Russound.
post #52 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's the HVAC return in the HT. I wanted it to remain out of sight, so I mounted it to the front wall. The stage and proscenium will hide it from sight. I'll still have room for speakers and to get in there to change filters too.

Another soffit picture from the pool/card table area. I CAN"T STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Ask your wife at least 3 times before you do something. I originally had this soffit done, installed with square, 90 degree angles. My wife didn't like it, so I tore it down and angled it like this. I must say, I like it better this way and am glad she had me change it, but damn I wish it would have been that way the first time....

Here's the other soffit I remade. It helped open this room up a bit more. Under the soffits, the ceiling is around 7'5"
post #53 of 681 Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More soffitts. This is taken from the bottom of my stairs. The HT is on the right and the equipment rack is straight ahead. Still a bit more to finish here, but I'm waiting to get DC04 clips so I can anchor the wall to the concrete exterior wall. You'll also notice 2 electrical boxes on the left wall. These will be for lighted poster boxes I'll build sometime down the road.

I built the doorway to the equipment closet. You can see the wiring is a bit cleaned up, but still have a lot to do. I'm going to build wood columns around the steel posts and stain them.

A shot of the recessed cans above the pool table area. There will be sconces on the wall straight ahead and you can also see the HVAC return on the right side. I plan on building a shelf out from each soffit for my beer bottle collection. Debating on putting rope light there as well....

This is a little nitch in the wall at the bottom of the stairs.
post #54 of 681 Old 11-16-2005, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're getting there! Looks good. Don't you love how the wife never comes down stairs but when she does she always has a suggestion after the fact?

I remember those framing days, that was the fun part. I start my construction thread in the middle of June and at that point I was done with framing and electrical, so I really started a few months before that. In fact, looking at my some of my framing pictures, the earliest I see is dated on January 6 and looking at those I had already framed out a bathroom, closed up a few walls and started soffits. Based on that, I started officially in December! Man, eleven months already and just finishing up drywall. I'm sure you'll beat that record

Hang in there!

Bud
post #55 of 681 Old 11-16-2005, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My favorite is when they go bragging to people that "we" are finishing the basement? Every time I hear her say that I ask "Who's we?". :-D.

Guess I need to take some pics of my work in progress. I finished all of my electrical in time to change the entire layout of my HT. It's for the better though. Simpler, cheaper, and fewer concessions on the layout of the room. I think I'll start a new thread tonight as I'm sure I'll get a suggestion or three.

Keep up the pics, I love getting ideas from here.

Jason
post #56 of 681 Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Did more work last night, building columns around existing steel posts, framing, etc....
post #57 of 681 Old 12-10-2005, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey, what happened to your photo album? Looks like "Loose Change" has taken over!

Bud
post #58 of 681 Old 12-10-2005, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no idea. Loose Change is my band and I was messing around with an automated website builder thru my host. Somehow, everything on the subdomain isn't accessible anymore. Not sure why....
post #59 of 681 Old 12-10-2005, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's fixed now.

I really need to post more about what I'm doing but it's all so boring. Just finishing up other areas of my basement. Hopefully, I'll be ready for my first inspection in early January.
post #60 of 681 Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

links are broken again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page