Construction Begins - November Sky Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 681 Old 12-13-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 681 Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
weird, all i see is red x's
post #63 of 681 Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Phantom,

You're correct. I was talking about the link in Jerrods signature. I use Firfix, so it doesn't show the Xs, just leaves them blank. I took a gander in IE when I saw your response.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 681 Old 12-13-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Hmmm.... works for me, but I use Firefox. I have a ton more pictures to add, but work has been kicking my butt lately and I just can't find the time.
post #65 of 681 Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I absolutely LOVE the name of your theater!!!
I am a November child myself.
How about a November sky star ceiling?

Lisa Lynn
Star Girl
post #66 of 681 Old 12-23-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalynn View Post

I absolutely LOVE the name of your theater!!!
I am a November child myself.
How about a November sky star ceiling?

Lisa,
After seeing Sandman do it in his theater, I really think I might give it a try. My wife really loved the pictures I showed her.... I guess it will just come down to money and me being willing to tackle something else. 1,700+ square feet is enough!

I'll post some pictures tonight as well with updates.
post #67 of 681 Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I've been working lately on pulling the coax and CAT 5e in the entire basement. I bought the quad shield RG6 and 350Mhz CAT 5e from Parts Express. They were offering free shipping a month or so ago, so I snagged it.

This pic is of the HT rack. I ran 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5e wires to the rack from the main cable/phone closet. Not sure if it's overkill or not, but since I had to run 1, I figured 2 wouldn't hurt.

Here's the stage wall. I've got 3 electical outlets and 1 other box with 1 RG6 and 1 CAT 5e.

I think I'm going run at least 3 more RG6 for and make component video out of it. Either that or I'll buy a 50 ft cable and also run sterio audio cables. I want to be able to hookup an XBOX or PS 2 or 3 in the room.
I'm thinking of using this wall plate, or something similar.

They also have DVI and HDMI wall plates so I can do just about whatever I want. This will probably mean running a 2-3" conduit from the rack to the front of the HT.

My builder screwed up when he roughed in my bathroom in the basement. In NC, you need 15" from the shower door to the toilet, and the sink was too close to the toilet too..... so, they had to jackhammer up the floor and re-route the drains. Waiting on the inspector to give it his blessing and then the builder will come back in and fill the hole.

I'm hoping to start drywall by February...... really, really hoping!!!
post #68 of 681 Old 01-18-2006, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BIG UPDATE! My digital camera broke so no pictures until I get a new one.

Just ordered my speakers and subwoofer..... I ordered a 7.1 setup from Ascend and Hsu. I'll use the new 340 SE's across the front and 4 - 170 SE's for the surrounds. The sub is the new VTF3-HO with turbo. I can't wait to get these, if only the room was done!

As far as my HT and the rest of the basement, I finished up most of the plumbing for the bathroom and kitchen areas. I just got a 3 1/2" deep, 4 gang masonry box for the Grafik Eye. I have a bit more wiring to do and then get my first inspection for rough-in. I am going to put a smoke detector wired to the others in my house in the HT. I am also going to install a doorbell strobe light and put it behind the proscenium. If the family and I are watching a movie, the light will flash if someone hits the doorbell. I have some wiring for that and my IR system to install yet....

I have electrical and plumbing inspectors coming out tomorrow to check things out.
post #69 of 681 Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

I am also going to install a doorbell strobe light and put it behind the proscenium. If the family and I are watching a movie, the light will flash if someone hits the doorbell. I have some wiring for that and my IR system to install yet....

Hi,
This is a great idea. Could you elaborate more on how you're doing this? I would like to do something similar.

thanks
post #70 of 681 Old 01-19-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhungvt View Post

Hi,
This is a great idea. Could you elaborate more on how you're doing this? I would like to do something similar.

thanks

Yeah, I'm just planning on running an extra phone line and a wire from the doorbell transformer to the front wall of my HT.

Here's an audible alarm that hook's up to a doorbell or phone line.
Here's a strobe light that hooks up to a doorbell or phone line.

For the strobe, my plan is to set it just behind the black GOM around the screen so it it flashes during a movie I will notice it.

There are some other products out there.... you just need to search for websites for the blind.
post #71 of 681 Old 01-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, I'm just planning on running an extra phone line and a wire from the doorbell transformer to the front wall of my HT.

Here's an audible alarm that hook's up to a doorbell or phone line.
Here's a strobe light that hooks up to a doorbell or phone line.

For the strobe, my plan is to set it just behind the black GOM around the screen so it it flashes during a movie I will notice it.

There are some other products out there.... you just need to search for websites for the blind.

thanks for the link and tip. looks easy enough.
You da man!!
post #72 of 681 Old 01-19-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jerrod,

Interesting. I have a HAI Omnipro II in the house and when the fire alarm goes off, all the X10 switches will toggle on and off. All my dimmers are X10 in the theater, so that's nice. I also an alarm speaker in the HT room. I need to figure out if there is an X10 doorbell or something I can tie into the doorbell to send a signal. I can use an X10 outlet to power a light in the HT theater (like the step light or rope light) or strobe.

So is that concrete floor finished yet?

Bud
post #73 of 681 Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got up from the basement.... tons of electrical stuff tonight.

Had an electrical inspector and plumbing inspector at the house today. The plumbing guy was the chief inspector, but for some reason he couldn't approve anything. I have to get the "regular" guy out here to check out stuff. Unreal.... so, the floor is still all tore to hell Bud.

The electrical guy was really picky about stuff, but gave me some good tips. I thought I was close to done but have quite a bit more stuff to get up to code. He was giving me some grief about having all my soffits done and stage lights, etc. I guess it's not everyday they're inspecting real HT's....

Funny (but really sad) story, depending how you look at it. Two houses up from me is a new house that a couple was supposed to close on next week. Well, a worker finishing up in the house left a sink running on the second floor. Somehow it overflowed and for an entire night and next morning, water was running!!!!!!!!!! I guess all the drywall on the first floor ceiling, much of the walls, kitchen hardwoods, etc all destroyed. The basement was filling up too.

Glad that wasn't me, knock on wood!
post #74 of 681 Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hate hearing that about your neighbor's house. Amazing how ignorant people can be.

Keep pluggin'. You'll get there, Jerrod.

bud
post #75 of 681 Old 02-14-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

BIG UPDATE! My digital camera broke so no pictures until I get a new one.

Just ordered my speakers and subwoofer..... I ordered a 7.1 setup from Ascend and Hsu. I'll use the new 340 SE's across the front and 4 - 170 SE's for the surrounds. The sub is the new VTF3-HO with turbo. I can't wait to get these, if only the room was done!

Jarrod,

Bud and I are interested in your HSU VTF3-HO w/ Turbo purchase. If you would please give us a blow-by-blow review of this sub (and the speakers) once you get them hooked up, that would be great! I'm contemplating the same sub also. May I ask what the cost of this monster was?
post #76 of 681 Old 02-14-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Jarrod,

Bud and I are interested in your HSU VTF3-HO w/ Turbo purchase. If you would please give us a blow-by-blow review of this sub (and the speakers) once you get them hooked up, that would be great! I'm contemplating the same sub also. May I ask what the cost of this monster was?

Well, I'd love to tell you what I think about the sub, but it's not even shipping yet. My guess is sometime in March I'll get my hands on it. Even then, my room is nowhere near ready so it will be awhile before I can really give it a good workout.

As far as the Ascends, I love them so far. I only have the front 3 hooked up and am really impressed. It's killing me looking at the 4 - 170's sitting on the floor next to my entertainment center, but with the layout of my family room there's no easy way to hook them up and run the wires. A lot of people say they sound neutral and don't add anything. I agree with that, although I think it's a bit hard to tell that unless you're doing direct comparisons.... The sound stage across the front 3 is seamless! I was watching some THX trailers (without surrounds.... ) and the sound moved across the front as if it was 1 big speaker.... For music, when listening in stereo only, I could swear music was coming from the center, but when I got really close nothing was. They are that good!

For music, I've only listened to Dream Theater and Tool so far. Both of these bands have fairly complex music with alot going on, and you can pick out all the parts. I play bass guitar and sing in a band and like to think I have a good ear... For speakers of relatively small size, they make big sound, big clean sound. I pushed them to -10db on my H/K AVR7200 and they were way loud, but not a hint of distortion or anything close to that.

Overall, I don't think you'll find a better combination than the AScends and Hsu sub. I can say this about the sub based on how favorable the MKII was and from a few people that have heard. Dave F at Ascend heard it at CES and said it was amazing!
post #77 of 681 Old 02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jarrod,

Thanks for the review. The Ascends sound like a excellent speaker and I've only heard positive reviews about them. I'm still deciding on my purchase so have time to change my mind a few dozen more times.

When do you expect to have you HT completed?

Steve
post #78 of 681 Old 02-15-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Bud

My inspector passed the piping changes. NOw my builder just has to come back and pour concrete and it's done.
post #79 of 681 Old 02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm curious, how long have you been in your house? I ask because of the builder coming back. Must be less than a year.

Bud
post #80 of 681 Old 02-15-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Jarrod,

When do you expect to have you HT completed?

Steve

That's the million dollar question! I'm hoping by the summer I will at least have the HT done. I'm finishing 1700+ square feet of basement, so it's moving slower than I want it to.... but like a lot of others I'm a 1 man team and stuff takes time.

That being said, I've got quite a bit accomplished over the past couple weeks. I haven't bought a new digital camera yet to replace my broken one, so no new pics. Here's a list of what I've done recently:

- plumbing for kitchen and icemaker
- plumbing for bathroom and shower
- installed studor vents in both areas
- relocated existing doorbell transformer to equipment closet
- ran new control wire for new doorbell.strobe I'm putting in the HT
- ran new security wiring
- finished framing in equipment closet
- started running speaker wire for areas other than HT (Belden 5000UP 12 ga cable)
- ran wiring for new smoke detector in HT
- added rope light outlet in HT
- finished most of the Cat 5e and RG6 runs
- tied grounds together on all outlets and switches (for inspection)
- ran wire for separate GFI to kitchen (by code, has to be on a differnt circuit from the bathroom)
- ran supply to new 125A sub-panel
- installed breakers and 12/2 wiring into panel
- ran #8 copper for new HVAC unit (Carrier system with VFD on the fan motor)
- ran 12/2 for outside heat pump
- roughed in disconnects for heat pump and fan unit
- installed ceiling outlet for projector
- ordered RSIC and DC04 clips from AVS member bpape

That's most of it.... lots of odds and ends before my rough-in inspection. Hopefully I can get that done in the next 2 weeks or so. Nearly all of my framing is done and that's the next inspection. After that, I have an insulation inspection and then, finally, drywall can go up.

Initially, I was going to drywall the whole basement myself, but I'm going to sub it out. It would take me 6 months or more to get it all done. Once I get all my drywall up, then I can focus on 1 room at a time. The HT will be the first to finish.

As far as the HT, I've changed my plans a bit. Initially, I was going to do fabric on all the walls. Now, after seeing some pictures of some other theaters (BuffBaker and charlesB to name a few) I am going to go with more wood on the walls with some fabric panels. I'm not doing recessed cans and instead using track lighting. This limits the number of holes I have to cut in the drywall.

I am going to borrow my neighbors camera to get more pictures..... hopefully in the next couple of days.
post #81 of 681 Old 02-15-2006, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious, how long have you been in your house? I ask because of the builder coming back. Must be less than a year.

Bud

A little over 1 1/2 years..... I raised hell with them about my bathroom rough-in not being up to code. I had my plumbing inspector come out to check things out and there were problems with the drains that were roughed in. In NC, the toilet has to be minimum 15 inches from the shower door opening. It was closer than that, so by code, I couldn't install my shower.

I went back to the builder and they agreed to come in, jackhammer the floor up and move the pipes. I was pleasantly surprised about it. If they hadn't done it, I would have raised hell.
post #82 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Jerrod,

Interesting. I have a HAI Omnipro II in the house and when the fire alarm goes off, all the X10 switches will toggle on and off. All my dimmers are X10 in the theater, so that's nice. I also an alarm speaker in the HT room. I need to figure out if there is an X10 doorbell or something I can tie into the doorbell to send a signal. I can use an X10 outlet to power a light in the HT theater (like the step light or rope light) or strobe.

Bud

Bud,
Help me out with something. I want to put an alarm speaker in my HT. What wire did you run and do you have the speaker? My whole house is pre-wired for the security system and I'm getting it hooked up soon. I just don't know what to run for it.
post #83 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jerrod,

I can double check, but I believe they just a small gauge wire, like 22 gauge wire, to the speaker. You can probably use cat 5 or thermostat wire. It only uses two wires. Do you have the speaker? If so you can try some cat5 and see if it works.

Bud
post #84 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I don't have the speaker yet. I do have some 18 gauge wire left over from doorbell re-wiring and motion sensors, so I'll probably just use that. I figured that would work, but since you did it already I figured I'd ask.
post #85 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The company that did the home automation system installed it after we moved a couple of years ago. I'm sure 18 gague would work fine. Do you have access at the other end?

Bud
post #86 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The company that did the home automation system installed it after we moved a couple of years ago. I'm sure 18 gague would work fine. Do you have access at the other end?

Bud

Yeah..... you seen any drywall up in my basement yet?
post #87 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, my controller is in a closet on the second floor, just not easy to run wires to!

Bud
post #88 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah, sorry for the smart assed remark. All my wires for the security system terminate in the basement.

Still haven't bought or borrowed a camera yet! Hopefully, I'm about 2 weeks away from my rough-in inspection. My mechanical portion is done. Had my HVAC sub out last week to run the refrigerant and control wiring for the new heat pump. My plumbing is done too. Just have some electrical things to wrap up.

After that comes the framing inspection. I'm easily 90-95% done there. Just have some soffits to finish up and a couple columns. The toughest thing with this inspection is going to be fireblocking. When I framed my walls, I really wasn't thinking about fireblocking them and now it's not going to be very easy to do. Oh well, I'll manage.

After framing is the insulation inspection and then I can finally drywall. My goal is to have the whole basement drywalled in 2 months.

My wife and I have our 2nd child on the way, so I'm really trying to get things done before mid-July because I envision having a lot less time to work downstairs. Luckily, my wife is all for me working more on it!
post #89 of 681 Old 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ah, sorry for the smart assed remark. All my wires for the security system terminate in the basement.

Actually, it was probably one of the nicer things said to me today! Congrats on the new addition (the baby, not the theater)!

Bud
post #90 of 681 Old 02-22-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Bud,
Help me out with something. I want to put an alarm speaker in my HT. What wire did you run and do you have the speaker? My whole house is pre-wired for the security system and I'm getting it hooked up soon. I just don't know what to run for it.

You can use 18/2 or you can use 22/4 and twist 2 pairs together (IIRC this is equivalent to about 19/2).

What panel are you getting?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page