Forum Jump: 
 614Likes

post #2581 of 3029 Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Does anyone here use a satellite rack? By that I mean a small rack somewhere in the room mainly for things that use removable media, such as gaming consoles, Blu-ray players and UHD players. My main rack will be located outside the room, and I had been planning to create a satellite rack. But I think I've talked myself out of it. Seems like within 5 years most if not everything I'd want to use may be streamed/downloaded and then I have the satellite rack not really being used and taking up space. Just curious what you guys think about this idea of having a satellite rack considering the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 807
I plan to take that approach to the extreme, in my next theater.

My "satellite" rack will be an external (htpc) Bluray drive, in a backer box, disguised by the room's fabric framed walls. Add in an infrared
repeater receiver, WiFi, and a Bluetooth receiver, and everything else goes in a hidden dedicated equipment room bordering the theater.

And "everything else" might be seeing a big purge. Currently rebuilding the htpc to Intel 6700 statis, and I like the idea of a new 2550x1080P projector
(versus 4K) and eliminating the Lumagen scaler/anamorphic lens/Anthem MRX510 (as prepro) and going with external DACs.
post #2583 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys,

Iam new to this forum, found this thread first and wanted to show my rack, I took a closet (206x56x56cm) and screwed some wooden planks on the sides to get right measurements between the "walls" inside the closet. very cheap and nice solution that could once again be a closet in future if i want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681 small.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1329978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682 small.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1329986  
azz7686 likes this.

My Cinema page:
http://www.minhembio.com/rejman83

ADA Cinema Reference Mach IV
Intelligent Sound IS815 Pro MKII
Intelligent Sound IS6 Pro MKII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Hi, im trying to work out where i can position my rack. I have a few ideas in the photos but someone said maybe in the garage is an option. What would you do and why? Do you think it will be an issue for dust and cars to avoid. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
post #2585 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
Ha, this picture looks like the only way to enter your theater is from the outside...
post #2586 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Ha, this picture looks like the only way to enter your theater is from the outside...
The door can be anywhere. That design your refering too was the first rough go at it. It was orginslly going to have big double doors on the hallway side.

post #2587 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My first choice would be outside the room and look into an ir repeater system.
(I gather that is the coat closet?) A Middle Atlantic Slim5 rack can be pretty compact at
19 1/8" by 20" or 26" deep, and might not annex too much coat closet.

But the av rack could be rotated and accessible to the room in that same spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	676e3a1ef10450ecf67383dc1ff039e3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1331730  
post #2588 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Does anyone here use a satellite rack? By that I mean a small rack somewhere in the room mainly for things that use removable media, such as gaming consoles, Blu-ray players and UHD players. My main rack will be located outside the room, and I had been planning to create a satellite rack. But I think I've talked myself out of it. Seems like within 5 years most if not everything I'd want to use may be streamed/downloaded and then I have the satellite rack not really being used and taking up space. Just curious what you guys think about this idea of having a satellite rack considering the future.
I have two large 44u racks and will be using a separate 22u Middle Atlantic AXS pull-out rack for the gaming consoles, Philips RGB LED lighting system, power protection and a few other pieces of equipment. The biggest challenge is knowing exactly what you plan to have in that rack from the beginning and cover any future upgrades either with conduit or extra wire because it's critically important this equipment in the satellite rack seamlessly integrate with equipment in the primary rack.
post #2589 of 3029 Old 03-22-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I have two large 44u racks and will be using a separate 22u Middle Atlantic AXS pull-out rack for the gaming consoles, Philips RGB LED lighting system, power protection and a few other pieces of equipment. The biggest challenge is knowing exactly what you plan to have in that rack from the beginning and cover any future upgrades either with conduit or extra wire because it's critically important this equipment in the satellite rack seamlessly integrate with equipment in the primary rack.
Just to confirm you are talking about having this satellite rack inside your theater room, as opposed to separate from your main rack but no in the room? In my case I can easily get wires into where a satellite rack would go. I know in the short term I'd probably regret not having it, but in the longer term it may not turn out to be needed. How much longer is physical media going to be a part of things I wonder. And for movies on UHD/Blu-ray I would use Kaleidescape with a Strato and 4K drive that rips it once to the player or downloads it after verifying the physical copy.
post #2590 of 3029 Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No games in my rack for now. Only sports, movies, and music allowed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mancave rack.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1332410  
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #2591 of 3029 Old 03-23-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to confirm you are talking about having this satellite rack inside your theater room, as opposed to separate from your main rack but no in the room? In my case I can easily get wires into where a satellite rack would go. I know in the short term I'd probably regret not having it, but in the longer term it may not turn out to be needed. How much longer is physical media going to be a part of things I wonder. And for movies on UHD/Blu-ray I would use Kaleidescape with a Strato and 4K drive that rips it once to the player or downloads it after verifying the physical copy.
Sort-of. It will be located on the other side of the theater wall in an area underneath the steps. I *could* put the satellite rack through the wall in a double layer soundproof back box that matches the construction of the theater shell so I would have access to it from the theater, but on second thought I decided there wasn't a hard-core reason to NEED access to the gaming system from the theater since everything is either ripped or streaming. I do have an alcove set aside for storing and charging controllers, 3D glasses, Buttkicker turn-off switches and everything else I want handy access to from inside the room.
post #2592 of 3029 Old 03-23-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Games in theater rooms will have issues if you can't get access to the front for motion cameras and the like. Extending USB3 is non-trivial for the Kinect sensor. It's one of those things worth planning for ahead of time.

The real question on rack placement is just what is it that'll require interaction, and who do you want to allow into the area? It's one thing for you do wander over to another room/garage/whatever to 'do something'. It's another to end up in a situation where kids are wandering through somewhere else. Thus sometimes it's worth considering having two setups, one for things "nobody's ever going to fiddle with" and another for game consoles, DVD players, etc. In my situation there's one rack, but the "never fiddle" gear will be rear-facing, while the rest faces into the theater. I'll still end up with an arrangement near the front for the Xbox & Kinect, but for that I'll just run CAT5, HDMI & IR repeating back to the rack.
lovingdvd likes this.

Last edited by wkearney99; 03-23-2016 at 06:32 AM.
post #2593 of 3029 Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Games in theater rooms will have issues if you can't get access to the front for motion cameras and the like. Extending USB3 is non-trivial for the Kinect sensor. It's one of those things worth planning for ahead of time.

The real question on rack placement is just what is it that'll require interaction, and who do you want to allow into the area? It's one thing for you do wander over to another room/garage/whatever to 'do something'. It's another to end up in a situation where kids are wandering through somewhere else. Thus sometimes it's worth considering having two setups, one for things "nobody's ever going to fiddle with" and another for game consoles, DVD players, etc. In my situation there's one rack, but the "never fiddle" gear will be rear-facing, while the rest faces into the theater. I'll still end up with an arrangement near the front for the Xbox & Kinect, but for that I'll just run CAT5, HDMI & IR repeating back to the rack.
The primary reason for moving the gaming system to the satellite rack is that it would be in close physical proximity to the primary gaming area for better wireless strength for the controllers. The gaming system will be at the top of this rack and not surrounded by steel shelving as it would be in the center of the rack.

I have wiring run from this satellite rack to the front of the theater, including the proprietary extender cable for the PS4 camera, but I find the most difficulty with playing camera-based games in a front projection theater is that you either need the projector behind the screen, a very short throw projector set-up OR very high ceilings with sufficient vertical lens shift in the projector to make it work (for most games)....otherwise you are constantly creating your own shadow in front of the screen, assuming you use the area in front of the seating to interact with the game. Otherwise you're left with moving your seating out of the way each time which is hugely inconvenient. The camera can be good for voice commands and gesturing, but I wouldn't ever use it for gaming in my planned theater setup.
post #2594 of 3029 Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
some great looking racks in this thread, cant wait to get started on mine
post #2595 of 3029 Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Sort-of. It will be located on the other side of the theater wall in an area underneath the steps. I *could* put the satellite rack through the wall in a double layer soundproof back box that matches the construction of the theater shell so I would have access to it from the theater, but on second thought I decided there wasn't a hard-core reason to NEED access to the gaming system from the theater since everything is either ripped or streaming. I do have an alcove set aside for storing and charging controllers, 3D glasses, Buttkicker turn-off switches and everything else I want handy access to from inside the room.
Right - in my case the primary motivation was to be able to put in a movie or game without leaving the room. But considering that the only location for this would involve going into the wall of the very noisy adjacent utility room, I didn't want to "go there".

I'll have a storage closet in the room (no gear) and pull out shelves under a built-in couch-bench where I can store misc stuff and gaming controllers. The AV controller/remote can go in the chair armrest. Tho it seems like it would be useful to have some sort of hidden panel or something to store some of this misc stuff in.

Tell me more about the Buttkicker switches. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Good point. I'm not interested in Kinect of a camera. But sometimes USB is needed, such as for games like Guitar Hero. I am putting two USB plugs in the riser that will run back to the equipment rack. What type of "live" / active USB cables should I use for this? The total run length would be about 40 feet.

Also I am wondering - how well with the XBOX and PS4 wireless controllers work through the double layer DW? The rack will be in the adjacent room about 35 feet from the seating area. I know that 35 feet is in range, but not sure how well it'll work through the isolation shell. Is there some sort of extender?

Quote:
The real question on rack placement is just what is it that'll require interaction, and who do you want to allow into the area? It's one thing for you do wander over to another room/garage/whatever to 'do something'. It's another to end up in a situation where kids are wandering through somewhere else. Thus sometimes it's worth considering having two setups, one for things "nobody's ever going to fiddle with" and another for game consoles, DVD players, etc.
That is an EXCELLENT point. "Hey what's this do?" when your not around, which can then take days (if ever!) to figure out what someone touched.

Quote:

In my situation there's one rack, but the "never fiddle" gear will be rear-facing, while the rest faces into the theater. I'll still end up with an arrangement near the front for the Xbox & Kinect, but for that I'll just run CAT5, HDMI & IR repeating back to the rack.
Speaking of IR repeating... I forgot about that and am in the process of running low voltage stuff now. What type of wires should I be running to support that?
post #2596 of 3029 Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Speaking of IR repeating... I forgot about that and am in the process of running low voltage stuff now. What type of wires should I be running to support that?
Cat5 or cat6 work well.
post #2597 of 3029 Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So here is my latest rough plan for my rack and room. I love the idea of having access to the back.

Here are some other options.

post #2598 of 3029 Old 03-24-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams97 View Post
This is my contribution. Photos show what I started with an the stages of construction. Not shown is the 120 " screen
Look at those wires! Huh what wires?...Those!!! Huh?...I don't see no freaking wires.
Wow!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #2599 of 3029 Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IR repeating??? What's next, installing a Sony Betamax and a laser disc player? I know your room and equipment....you can pony up the $150 minimum for an RF-based remote like the Logitech Harmony or a bit more for an IP-based remote running over your wireless LAN.

And don't let me hear you mention IR repeating anything again, mister!!!
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #2600 of 3029 Old 03-24-2016, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Also I am wondering - how well with the XBOX and PS4 wireless controllers work through the double layer DW? The rack will be in the adjacent room about 35 feet from the seating area. I know that 35 feet is in range, but not sure how well it'll work through the isolation shell. Is there some sort of extender?

I don't have an XBOX so I can't comment on that, but I have tested my PS3 & PS4 controllers from a distance of about 25 feet through walls and ceilings/floors and they still worked.

I have the two consoles in the rack in the basement theatre area where I have all of my equipment and DVR's. I feed the signals up to the living room and bedroom TV's. Occasionally my son will want to play one of them on the living room TV and it works well without any issues.

Last edited by Brent A; 03-24-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #2601 of 3029 Old 03-24-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
So here is my latest rough plan for my rack and room. I love the idea of having access to the back.

Here are some other options.

Can you go back to the original plan for the theater with no windows on the south wall? That will save you money, now and later, and make it easier to treat for acoustics and make aesthetically pleasing. Also, your rack placement looks good, but I would not have a penetration to the theater if you can avoid it. If you turn the rack 90 degrees, you can have the gear face into the theater's hallway entrance, and the back of the rack would face into the main entry hallway. Walling that space off to the left will help with convective cooling, because you're going to install a fan (right?) to draw air out of the top of the small AV rack closet. That also gives you a defined coat closet.

Making that wall continuous where the rack opening is now will also facilitate the front side effects speakers in a future Atmos upgrade. If you have a door to the rack there, it will make it more difficult to place those front sides.

Also, though it might look dramatic, it will be much better from an isolation standpoint if you will go to a single door, and center it where the current double door is located. That will make the hall narrower, which increases room in your Study, too.
hatlesschimp likes this.

Philip Springer, owner -- Apex AV Systems, Inc.
THX and ISF certified systems integration specialist
WWW:ApexAVS.com
Twitter:@ApexAVSystems
Instagram:apexavsystems
post #2602 of 3029 Old 04-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just gave my rack a little face lift.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New rack smaller.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1368794  
markrubin and jhughy2010 like this.

Yamaha RXA-3050, BenQ W5000, 122" Screen, (3) Sony TAN-55, QSC EX2500, (2) Adire Maelstrom 18"
Klipsch & ADS speakers (7.1.4)
(2) Sonance 260x3, AC Infinity fans
Monster Power ProAv2000/HTS5100
post #2603 of 3029 Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does anyone see issues having a rack PDU (horizontal) directly above a patch panel? Possible interference is my main concern...
post #2604 of 3029 Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Server & Networking Rack

I finished up my server rack about a month ago. Here are some of the progress pictures as well as the final product. I went with the Middle Atlantic BRK16-22:

The media server case; an iStar D Storm D-400-7P 4U Rackmount Server Chassis.

The sliding rack rails had to be mildly modified to fit.

Here the media server has been transplanted from its former case, iStar Hot Swap bay added for the HDDs. The whole house Ethernet was also installed (I wish I would have taken pictures of how I did that... needless to say it took forever but is very very clean... complete with wall plates, etc.). Also, I grabbed a 24 port Netgear PoE smart switch.

These next three pictures are the innards.... lots of cleaning up since:

Finally, here is the finished product. I went with all MA panels and a drawer plus I did the wire management with a Neat Patch - patch panel:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160118_230813 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	2625
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	1444834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160118_230833 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	2449
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	1444842   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_134516 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	2499
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	1444850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160308_113224 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	2459
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	1444866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160308_114837 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	2463
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	1444874  

Name:	server rear.jpg
Views:	2462
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	1444906   Click image for larger version

Name:	server front 1.jpg
Views:	2414
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	1444914   Click image for larger version

Name:	server front 2.jpg
Views:	2440
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	1444922  

Last edited by jhughy2010; 05-18-2016 at 01:15 AM.
post #2605 of 3029 Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's a pretty nice rack mount case and isn't very deep. May I enquire who makes it?

And that Neat-Patch is another great idea.
post #2606 of 3029 Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
That's a pretty nice rack mount case and isn't very deep. May I enquire who makes it?

And that Neat-Patch is another great idea.
Thanks! iStarUSA has a ton of cases to choose from. I originally was going to go with the Rosewill case but after some consideration I decided to give iStarUSA a shot... very pleased with it so far. I swapped all the fans out for Noctua fans to keep the noise extremely low. The server rack is practically silent now. Temps in the case never exceed 60c either.
Tedd likes this.
post #2607 of 3029 Old 05-18-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, didn't recognize it as iStarUSA.

Nice to have the feedback on the case, so thanks for that too!
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #2608 of 3029 Old 05-22-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Went from this...

To this...

Tedd, markrubin, dlinsley and 4 others like this.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - Emotiva RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #2609 of 3029 Old 05-22-2016, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Right now I have a half height rack that sits in my unfinished space mostly, but has opening with a glass door to the HT so I can put disks in game systems and access the htpc. But I'm thinking of getting a new atmos/dtsx processor with seperate amps. But they are big and heavy, so I think I'll put this right below the rack that's accessible in the HT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Q...ZA9XOU0AN&vs=1

Luckily when the original rack (see my build thread for some pics) was built it sat on the framing of the wall and nothing was below it on the backside in the unfinished space. So I have about 34" of space below it to put this. So it will almost be like having a full height rack but half is accessible in the HT the other half sits in the unfinished space.

Should be a good little satellite rack, can put the two amps and a pdu I am planning on buying in the satellite rack.
post #2610 of 3029 Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
Went from this...

To this...
Is that a Middle Atlantic Essex rack?

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II