Safe and Sound Solid Core Doors - Where From & How Much? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I have these really high quality hollow doors in my home (scoff scoff). I am very curious as to how good a job these safe and sound solid core doors do? I would guess they help a lot. I have a laundry room close to my HT and I want to try and reduce the noise that carries from that room. I looked on Home Depot website and found one product that was $227 for each door (pre-hung). Masonite Luxury Wood Series 30 x 80 In. Prehung LH Inswing Knotty Pine 6 Panel Square Top Door.

Where did you guys get your doors and how much? If I like them I might consider adding some more to rooms like the powder room and the master bedroom. Maybe work my way through the house. Right mow I feel I like in an open box with sheets hanging as room dividers! It sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 5078
Both Lowes and HD carry a line of pre-hung Masonite Safe and Sound doors. Masonite sells the basic slab doors to various other companies that slap it into a frame and call it a pre-hung. Heavy emphasis on the slap because the frames on the prehungs I got from Lowes had a lot of SLOP.

The ones I bought were the wood grained embossed (ready to paint) Safe and Sound and ran about $125 a door from what I recall. My house was originally built with the Safe and Sounds and when I did the basement I bought 10 doors that matched the rest of the house.

As for that laundry room, you will need to do some weather stripping and put on a sealing threshold to achieve the maximum benefit. My laundry room adjoins the family room and closing the door does cut the sound but if it was connected to the HT it would require the extra treatment.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff, I need to swing by and check out HD. Their website doesn't have much or at least on the cheaper Masonite doors doesn't state if they are safe and sound solid core or not. I am heading there tonight for some paint anyway. Speaking of paint I am still undecided on what to go with. My wife isn't a fan of the chocolate color against our drapes. Might check out a darker green for the Plasma wall and see if I can pull that off.... Never had much success with differing wall colors. So annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 5078
Just a FYI I forgot. I had to special order the doors from Lowes. They were the reliabuilt brand. 10 day lead time.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
I just ordered 7 from home depot, took 3 weeks for them to come in and 5 of them were wrong =(. But, couldnt pass up the 30% off all special order doors sale. I believe there we each about $125 a piece like big indicated, but only after the discount.

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #6 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I paid $311 for my double Safe and Sound doors at Lowes -- Special ordered due to a needed 6" jamb.

Dan
post #7 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
I spent around $100 a pc. for mine at Home depot, special order.

LOL actually the door knobs were more expensive at $120.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #8 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I dont know how much mine were, but they are heavy as hell and ridiculously quiet. With the laudry room door closed (Kenmore 5het, super fast spin) i cant hear anything except a hum at ambient (any tv volume above ambient washes it out)...and its just a dull hum....The whole house has those doors and if you are behind two of them (ie, laundry room, then bedroom or some other door) then it is dead quiet.

Make sure you have a helper, i have taken them down for various reasons (extra wide furniture, etc) and it sucks very badly.

Its worth it to spend a hundred bucks on a good full length aluminum hinge jig with these, you dont want to try to wrestle one in place and have one hinge be 1/8" off.
(if you are doing whole house that is)
post #9 of 17 Old 06-18-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent pointers. I shall definitely look into the weather strip. I am also going to look into double doors which I have in my master bedroom. I bet that will be a heavy job! I am hoping these guys do a lot in improving the sound containment within my home. I am so fed up with the way sound travels in this house right now. I wish I could do a lot more to kill the sound. The vaulted ceilings in the great room are terrible. I guess sound treatments / tiles all over the ceiling might help!? But somewhat unrealistic.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post

Its worth it to spend a hundred bucks on a good full length aluminum hinge jig with these, you dont want to try to wrestle one in place and have one hinge be 1/8" off.
(if you are doing whole house that is)

What's a hinge jig? And where would one purchase one of those?

Bob
post #11 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For ~$200 you can get a solid-core 6-panel wood dor out of poplar or oak, a bit more for mahogany or cherry. Those will be quite solid doors and will look a lot nicer (IMO) than a masonite door.

For doorknobs, I just found a discount store that sells overstock building items. They had Schlage lever-style doorknobs for only $5-8 compared to ~$24 at Lowes!
post #12 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have had the solid core wood doors in oak and I have had the Massonite safe and sound doors. To me the Massonite did a far better job of stopping noise.

If you are painting your doors then the Massonite is a great choice.

McCall
post #13 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Paid about $186 for my 30" wide Masonite SnS door, with custom 7" jamb. I wasn' t ready for the door at the time I ordered it. But like the above post I took advantage of a HD (20% off) sale. I had to send the first one back since one of the jambs was split down the center for almost the entire length of the board. Second one showed up and it looked liked they built a crate around it. Moral: be sure to inspect your doors at the pickup counter before lugging them to your truck.

I picked the Masonite instead of an oak/other door so it would match the rest of the interior doors in my house. I'm thinking about replacing the laundry room door with one of these in the future.

SACD library.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Would you recommend me taking out the door and just installing a new solid core door? Or would you take out the door jam and hang a pre-hung door?
post #15 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Norm Abrahm is NOT happy with your question (lol).....

http://www.templaco.com/html/template_base.asp?id=79

here is just an example, search that site, they have many templates....you just drop that sucker on the door, use a router to mortise out your hinge location, then do the same on the door frame/jamb and you are a happy camper....

only worth it if you have to do more than a couple of doors, but is a HUGE time saver and mistake free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

What's a hinge jig? And where would one purchase one of those?

post #16 of 17 Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
can you stain the safe and sound doors- I want to go with mahogany to match the rest of my trim?
post #17 of 17 Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They come primed as they are not wood. So you can stain them and use a woodgraining tool, but it would be a faux technique you cannot stain them as you would plain wood.

McCall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page