Construction on the Vancouver Drunktank begins! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so thats not really my theater name. I dont have one. In fact, it wont even be a dedicated theatre anymore since I've changed my plans. But i figured this forum would get me much more help than posting in the general HT/games room construction forum.

I'd first like to give a big thanks for the wealth of information on this forum. I've been reading for months now and I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface.

OK on to the plans. We're building a brand new home and in it I have a nice space for an entertainment room, being 16' at the widest point and 31' long. Originally I had planned to have two rows of seating with a third riser in the room for a pool table behind the second row of seating. However, this is no longer possible since I can't manage to dig any deeper for the basement. Faulty planning on my part I didn't account for the extra room needed for the stairs coming from the main floor.

Anywho, so now the plan is for 'L-shaped' seating. With one sofa and a love seat. Pictures will explain this better...

Original room plan:

New, non-theatre-like plan:

So, my google sketchup skills are not quite up to par, but a rough sketch is better than no sketch, right? right??? The sofa will be 14 feet away from a 60" plasma/lcd which will be mounted into the crawl space wall. (basement floor plan to follow) In front of the tv will be a drop down 120" 16:9 screen for bigscreen goodness. Behind the sofa will be bar seating with 4-5 high chairs. Behind this will be an 8" step up to a pool table/dart board/beer refilling area.

Projector: Undecided (most likely a 720p, perhaps a 1080p if prices drop closer to completion)

Sound:
Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV
Axiom Epic 60- 350 package (6.1)
Tower Speakers M60 (2)
Surrounds QS8 (2)
Centers VP100 (2)
Subwoofer EP350 (1)
Aura Bass Shakers (3) + Amp to power them (used old A/V receiver)

OR

Polk Audio Bookshelf Speakers (RTi6) (4)
Polk Audio Floor Speakers (RTI10) (2)
Polk CSi5 (1)
Velodyne Subwoofer (DSP-12B) (1)
Aura Bass Shakers (3) + Amp to power them (used old A/V receiver)

Sound Isolation:
Staggered Stud walls with double drywall 5/8"+5/8" with Green Glue. Also double drywall + GG on ceilings.
Still debating on whether to use sound isolation for floor....it is in the basement, if theres no sound proofing, construction will be concrete ->foam underlayment -> heating pipes -> concrete -> thick carpet padding and commercial carpet.

Im thinking this will be OK, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Other sound isolation: All wiring done through plastic gangboxes smothered with acoustical caulk.

Sound Treatments: Undecided

Lighting: Sconces and track lights

Will also have a stage and soffit built.

Ok this was a pretty long post and i was rambling. Sorry!

Oh yeah...and heres the floorplan for the basement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Of course, i forgot a few things..Completion will be December 2007 at latest, hoping to be finished by start of November.

The city approved construction plans last Monday.

House demolished on Tuesday:

Excavation begins on Wednesday and completed on Thursday:

Foundation begins on Monday the 18th, current progress as of June 19th:

post #3 of 51 Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's pretty good progress for the foundation. I couldn't see any mountains in the pics so I can't figure out what part of the lower mainland you're in.
I am in the middle of a home theatre construction project myself (will post pics soon).

My 2 cents would be:

1. Plan out your cable runs for the whole home now.
2. There is no good place in Vancouver to buy cables. Get them online if you can.
3. Buy your projector/av equipment nearer to the completion date.

Can't think of anything else right now.

BTW if the theatre's the drunk tank, where's the bar going to be?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Nice, I'm also in the middle of constructing my house as well (currently in the back-framing phase) about a week away from the pre-wire. I don't know if you have heard of Lin-Haw in vancouver, I get my cables from these guys 'cuz they're cheap and have fast service which I appreciate because I'm always missing something here and there .

Just to add about the "planning out your cable runs" with over 40 drops I've created a checklist because I am going to do all the pre-wire myself. This checklist has already proven it's worth when I went shopping for wiring.
post #5 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys! The house is in the Killarney area of van...the pics were taken facing west and thats why theres no mountains

As for cables, I'll definitely check into Lin-Haw and compare prices with online retailers. Time is a big issue though so im iffy on shipping. All AV equipment will be bought as late as possible to try to pick up the best price.

As for all the house cable runs....what do you suggest running? what are you running soulie? I havent completely thought that part out yet other than having cable/sat cables in every room, surround sound wires in the bigger rooms, and ethernet in every room.

Wheres the bar? Glad you asked :P

played with sketchup a bit more and drew those out. will also have a mirrored bar rack in the corner by the window to hold all the bottles with a beer fridge underneath. not gonna go with a full out bar due to space constraints vs what i want out of the room.

Oh, and where abouts are u guys from?
post #6 of 51 Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM

It all depends what you want to do with your home setup, in my case I decided against HD distribution. There are only two places I watch TV (in the family room, and home theater) so for me doing HD distribution would be a nothing more than a money sink. Right now I have a standard 2 Cat6/2 RG6 pull to each room, and any room that I'm unsure about (like my bedroom, etc..) I plan on doubling it.

I plan on running 4-6 RG6 from my roof (sat // HD antenna) location to my main A/V Closet. Also I talked to one of the cable technicians from Shaw Cable and he recommended running 3/4 cable lines from the cable box to the A/V closet in case one cable gets a nail or something you didn't just screw up your whole house reception/distribution.

I'm also going to be wiring for a whole home audio system but I'm going to keep the wires hidden until I'm ready (*cough* have the funds *cough*). Basically I'll pull the speaker wire through the keypad location and have a little extra in a loop so that I can use either amplified keypad systems or the more conventional Nuvo/Russound type.

And finally I'm doing the security system myself (4 cameras in each corner of the house). I'm still undecided on what camera I will use: IP or CCTV. So I'm pulling Cat5E, RG6, and 18/2 to each point.

Im building in the buckingham heights area in Burnaby. BTW your sketchup skills are incredible - love the pool table and couches .
post #7 of 51 Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM

That is a pretty good sketchup diagram there.

I am out in Walnut Grove(Langley) and we are in the middle of a basement remodel for home theatre/bar area. As well, we made a family room system with the 42' plasma.

Since the home was already built the challenges were quite different.

Retrofitting a whole home system seems to be quite expensive therefore I plan to eventually get a wireless solution (Sonos) which works out to about $500 per zone.

In the main theatre I also ran RG6 runs to the projector (Optoma HD 70...for now),I ran two conduits with 3/4 inch flex conduit from HD. I think planning to run a conduit for AV cable runs is a good idea. Make sure the electrician doesn't use your conduit as a guide to run his high voltage lines right next to.

BTW the Sklar Peppler store on the Langley Bypass had some great deals on non electric home theatre chairs.

Looking forward to following the progress of your theatre.
post #8 of 51 Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

wow...so a bit of a progress report i guess.

I met with the contractor today to try to explain the staggered studs. He absolutely had no idea what I was talking about. I printed out the staggered stud diagrams from the greenglue website to show him and he still couldnt understand why i wanted it. i spent a good 15 minutes trying to give him the run down on how that decouples the two walls but he was lookin at me like i was crazy. I guess i have to get used to that from this point in eh? He asked me to meet with the framer myself and explain it to him to make sure nothing is lost in translation since he didnt completely get it, so im happy that he at least wants to see it done right.

Also the ceiling height is now going to be 8.5' im happy to have an extra 6" to work with.
post #9 of 51 Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Long time no update. Im quite disappointed as nothing is going how I want it to. The whole room is turning into one big compromise. So somewhere after the foundation and framing somebody screwed up. Long story short: my ceiling height is now 7'11". The room is also not going to be 16' finished as originally expected. Its actually 16' before finishing, so i will be losing a few inches in width. Gonna be REAL tight for that pool table, and it will be low, low ceilings as i have an 8" riser going in.

Anywho, heres where we sit right now. Room is fully framed, heating lines run+ cement poured. Riser has been built by the framers directly to the studs of the exterior wall. That is going to need to be fixed otherwise it will kill my soundproofing. I've also ditched the bar idea (the thread now needs a new title). I will be going with 2 rows of seating with the pool table behind the second row. Eyes of first row will be at 10.5' and second row will be 15'.

HVAC guy has finished all the ducting for hte house and will be installing a seperate split system in the basement for the cost of the unit only.

I have decided against drop ceilings in the room as originally planned since the ceiling height is so low.

Waiting on the install of windows and exterior doors before we proceed any further.
post #10 of 51 Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Some progress to show....well more like fixing of mistakes to get me back where i should be.

This is what i found 2 days ago to see what progress had been made by the workers.

As you can see, the riser had been constructed and was halfway topped off with the 'lid' Seems they forgot i told them there was supposed to be insulation in there.

They also attached the riser right to the studs of the exterior wall even though i specifically asked for a gap for drywall and an extra 1/2 inch for decoupling

I guess if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself eh?
I spent the day with a hired GL today. We removed most of the plywood tops for the riser. We left the middle two since i figured i could just push the insulation under there.

We also cut 2 inches off the side of the riser, decoupling it from the studs of the wall, leaving enough space for DD and a small gap to minimize vibrations to the wall from the riser.

I just realized i forgot to do the same for the back wall. Guess im headed back either tomorrow or on the weekend to do that.

Heres a random shot of the staggered studs i think i forgot to post before.

Oh, and another thing i forgot to post. Picked this baby up about a month ago. Man does it ever pound!
post #11 of 51 Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Some minor work done over the last couple days...

Fixed the rear part of the riser to decouple it from the wall.

Filled riser with cheap pink insulation

Riser topped but not yet nailed down. Still debating on whether to run speaker wires through the riser for future sub placements.

Also framed out a spot for inwall plasma behind the projector screen. Im plannin on sticking with a cheapo 42" but i should have just enough room for a 50" should i choose to do so.

Lastly, outlet boxes have been installed around the room but i wont bother posting pics of that if anyone is following.

Electrical should be done on monday and AV wires should be done the same day.

Need to place my green glue order real quick as drywall should be underway in about 2 weeks.
post #12 of 51 Old 09-09-2007, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 33
Progress. It looks great. Don't stress the compromises too much. It will turn out just great. Unless one is crazy rich, I think there are always compromises.

Couple of questions:
Do you guys not have to use pressure treated lumber when putting wood on the concrete slab? Just curious.

Is the riser insulation sitting on the concrete slab? Or is there some sort of moisture barrier between the two?

Good luck with the drywalling.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #13 of 51 Old 09-09-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Gonzo,

Im not quite sure on whether or not we need to use pressure treated lumber, however since neither contractor nor framers mentioned anything I think we should be fine. We'll see during inspection if theyre wrong heh.

The insulation is sitting on the concrete slab. I was told that since there is heating running underneath there, i wouldnt want or need to put a barrier in.
post #14 of 51 Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 33
Gotcha. The PTL requirement must be a US thing. Radiant heat in the slab will be nice and warm on the tootsies.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #15 of 51 Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

So i went and picked up 10 cases of green glue today from across the border. Took advantage of the dollar parity and saved myself a couple hundred bucks over what i had originally planned.

Also finished all the wiring in the theatre. So, so many wires!

Began caulking the holes for pipes/wires. Will finish caulking and build boxes to seal outlets tomorrow. I also have to figure out if i want my wall sconces to have light boxes or just pull the wires through the drywall. I cant remember what is generally done, i'll have to look that one up tomorrow.

I'll up some pics tomorrow, hopefully with everything complete and ready for insulation.

Finally, i've almost decided to go with the grafik eye system for lighting control. doing so will mean having to redo the electrical in the theatre though. I was hoping to do this on my own with help from a buddy who is a commercial electrician with lutron system design experience, however the electrician wont allow this unless we pull our own permits. cant say i blame him. unfortunately for me, the city of vancouver has been on strike for MONTHS now, so i cant get a permit.
Gotta decide if i wanna pay the electrician to completely redo the wiring or ditch the grafik eye idea all together.

Man, what a long day, im exhausted. Must say though, i cant wait to wake up tomorrow and get right back to it.
post #16 of 51 Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here is what i have to show for 5 hours of driving and an empty wallet from friday.

I wired up for the Grafik Eye system today. Decided i wanted to go with it and tried to get my electrician to do it. He didnt want to so he let my buddy and I work under his permit instead and he came to inspect.

All low voltage wiring was completed yesterday. So many wires!

I caulked all holes to the main floor yesterday and built boxes for outlets and wiring penetrations. I had a ton of plywood left over so i decided to use that for the boxes. I used 2 layers of plywood (either 5/8 or 1/2) in a green glue sandwich. I also remembered why i dont belong within 50 feet of power tools. I am HORRIBLE at this stuff. Oh well, having poorly constructed boxes is still better than nothing....i think....
I wasted a ton of time today as well due to poor planning. I didnt have all the tools i needed and had to make multiple runs. I finally gave up at around 6pm and went out and rented an air compressor and staple gun and started all over again. i use the term rented loosely, having a buddy who works in the tool rental section at the hardware shop is a great bonus.

Heres a giant box made to cover the huge holes for wiring.

On tap for tommorow is insulation and finishing up on the caulking/boxes.
post #17 of 51 Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Insulation was completed a couple of days ago and drywall was delivered yesterday. Drywall started today but I have instructed the drywallers to start from the 3rd floor and work their way down as I currently dont have the time to stand and watch them all day.

Pics of insulation:

post #18 of 51 Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Liked: 12
Hello,

It is looking good. I am almost at the stage of building the riser in my HT.

Did you put a vapor barrier on the concrete floor before filling in the riser with pink insulation ?

Thanks.
post #19 of 51 Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Theater_nut,

I did'nt put a vapor barrier on the floor before stuffing the riser. I was told that since i have radiant heat in the slab, it wasnt needed.

Best of luck with your build!

Sunny
post #20 of 51 Old 09-28-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

stacks of drywall are sitting in theatre. drywallers ordered 4 different sizes. I have stacks of 4x8, 4x9,4x10 and 4x12 sitting there. I guess its good in the sense that there will be less seams, just gotta figure out how much green glue to put on each piece!

post #21 of 51 Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well its been a long and tiring 2 days. I am so glad drywall is finished, as it didnt like me very much. In fact, it kicked my ass on two seperate occasions on two consecutive days.

Yesterday, i went in to run the communication wire between the grafik eye and the wall control. Following that i had to redo the insulation and tape up/replace the vapour barrier i tore through to get the wire done. I then spent the evening insulating and caulking seams on the stairs which are above the theatre's bathroom. While doing this, I managed to trip over a stack of drywall (backwards, mind you) falling straight back onto a pile of drywall. The work light in my hand went flying and broke into about a thousand pieces, and i landed on my back on the pile of drywall and bashed my forearm against the side of the pile. I have a huge bump on the arm now and any movement of the wrist causes some discomfort. I think im going to have to go to the doctor and maybe get some xrays. Hopefully its just a bruise.

Anywho, both layers of drywall were completed in the theatre today. I followed behind the drywallers caulking seams as they went along. While helping mount a piece of drywall under the stairs in the above mentioned bathroom, I had a piece of 5/8 drywall fall directly on my head. Lets just say, it didnt feel too good. That bathroom is evil i tell you!

So, 7 and a half cases of green glue later, i have a fully drywalled room!

i should have taken that picture before i started filling up the boxes with emptys. The entire back area was filled with GG tubes!

Heres a couple of shots of the completed drywall.
From the front corner of the room:

From the back corner facing the screen wall:

Mid room shot:

I will probably head back down tomorrow to caulk the seams on the second layer of drywall.

PS: I bought too much green glue. I have 2 cases left. If anyone is looking to buy a couple of cases, pm me.
post #22 of 51 Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 PM

Liked: 13
I luv all these great photos!! Thanks and looking forward to more great reading.
post #23 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

So progress will be slowed for a bit as the entire house is gonna be mud and taped. Will probably be about 3 weeks until we start moving any further.

I will use this halt for some R&D time.
So today I decided i want to do a star ceiling, something i had originally decided against due to cost. Of course, i change my mind the day after drywall is up, thus making things more complicated than they need to be.

Attached is my plan for the star ceiling: (i've totally stolen BigmouthinDC's back of a napkin +camera method. Props go out to him!)

I figure i can use the drop containing a plumbing pipe to run wiring from the crawl space, where i have access to an outlet. I will also add a slight drop across the centre of the room connecting the two drops on the sides. In this drop, i can run the wire connecting to the star field. Im thinking of doing a 6x12 panel. I may decide to go bigger though, we'll see tomorrow when i go visualize it at the house. If anybody has any suggestions on this idea, please let me know. I dont know too much about star ceilings yet, but i think i can have the illuminator in the crawl space and just have a wire running to the star panel.

Im also trying to figure out what i want to do for the rack. I know where i want my rack, i also know it will be in wall and needs to be roll out since i dont have rear access. Them MA racks look reaaaaaal nice, but i dont think i want to drop a grand on a rack. I might have to DIY this one.
Two options that have ran through my head are
1) buy metal rails, make my own rack, put wheels on the bottom.
2) Have the cabinet guy make me a wooden rack (or i could do it myself) with all shelves on rollers

option 1 would probably be more costly, but i would have a nicer finish. since i could still buy cover plates to make all the equipment look flush. to do this with option two, i'd have to try and cut out my own pieces around the equipment for a flush look.

Any other suggestions for this? Or, has anyone done anything similar? Ive seen DIY racks on here, but all have had rear access.
post #24 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For the rack, it shoudlne be too much work to simply build some shelves out of lumber or plywood and attach them to your rack cavity with some heavy-duty drawer slides.

I've used the Accuride slides before and like them, particularly the self-closing feature whcih keeps the shelves from sliding out on their own: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...rawer%20slides

Those are only rated for 100 pounds per pair, though which might not be enough depending on your equipment. There are significantly higher rated slides (see http://www.edirecthardware.com/docs/...ENCE-GUIDE.pdf) from both Accuride and K&V, I'm not sure if any are self-closing.

Although easy, this method isn't the cheapest since decent drawer slides cost a fair bit of money. However, having access to the back of the equipment is very worthwhile. (I don't currently, and a 20-30 minute wiring job to connect all my equipment took ~ 8 hours.)
post #25 of 51 Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

kevin, thanks for the info on the drawer slides. i think that may very well be the way to go, as i dont think i can justify spending the 1.2k on an MA slider rack after all is said and done.

long time no update, cuz there hasnt been much to update.
I received this toy in the mail a couple weeks ago, kinda bummed that its all white, but for 300 dollars i cant complain.

I ordered a black scene control for the back of the room today, gonna cost me 115 bucks shipped thanks to the mighty canadian dollar

I'll be ordering alot of the goodies in the next few days to take advantage of the cost savings from the States, this weekend is probably a good time since we sit at a buck seven.
post #26 of 51 Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Looking good! I am from vancouver also

Btw.. where did you buy the pink insulation?

Thx
Jack
post #27 of 51 Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Pm Sent.
post #28 of 51 Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post

Looking good! I am from vancouver also

Btw.. where did you buy the pink insulation?

Thx
Jack

Hi Jack,

The insulation was ordered by the same folks who did the labor. I will find out for you tonight where it can be purchased and how much it was per bag. It was Owens Corning (r-19 what you see in most of those pics)
post #29 of 51 Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 PM

You can get that insulation from Kenroc, Slegg Construction Materials, Dryco, Commercial, Pac West or any of the other Lower Mainland supply places.
post #30 of 51 Old 11-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
That is the best theater name ever... you HAVE to keep it.

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page