AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   Show us your custom made corner bass traps (pics) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/874964-show-us-your-custom-made-corner-bass-traps-pics.html)

pred02 07-14-2007 06:31 AM

Hi,

I added a stage to my HT and would also like to add corner bass traps. I currently have 2 wood-made panels with 4 inch 703 fiberglass that sort of straddle corner.

You can see vaguely in this picture:

However, I am not happy with the aesthetic of this design and am considering something else.

I would like to see what people have done for their corner bass traps.

Thanks,
George!

chinaclipper 07-14-2007 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post

Hi,

I added a stage to my HT and would also like to add corner bass traps. I currently have 2 wood-made panels with 4 inch 703 fiberglass that sort of straddle corner.

You can see vaguely in this picture:

However, I am not happy with the aesthetic of this design and am considering something else.

I would like to see what people have done for their corner bass traps.

Thanks,
George!

George:
As per BPAPE, I used 5" cotton batting for my bass traps

They were relatively easy to build-you can see the way I stacked and sealed them.
The hardest part was cutting the triangles. I used a VERY sharp carving knife (Henkles brand-definetely NOT a cheap blade. Don't tell my wife) and sharpened it after every three cuts or so. PLEASE use tough gloves while cutting the batting!

I covered the traps with GOM and they work and look great IMHO.
Best of luck..

Tom
Chinaclipper

FX35TN 07-29-2007 07:32 PM

To build an easy base trap get a large section of pvc pipe (as big a dia as you can locate). Slice it in half... attach a base stand and carpet the entire section of pvc. You can then stand them in any section of the room that you need to.

eugovector 07-29-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX35TN View Post

To build an easy base trap get a large section of pvc pipe (as big a dia as you can locate). Slice it in half... attach a base stand and carpet the entire section of pvc. You can then stand them in any section of the room that you need to.

What do you slice it with, and what do you fill it with, OC703? You're talking about slicing it down the length, so you have a half circle right?

Do you have any pictures of this? I'm intrigued.

ifeliciano 07-29-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX35TN View Post

Wow! That is the first time I've heard that theory. But..I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

Anyhow to the OP: In my case as per bpape's design, my soffit is timber framed filled with acoustic cotton and covered with FR701. I will also have two 6" thick OC 703 "columns" in front corners of the room.

Ivan

Bing 07-29-2007 10:24 PM

here's mine. I posted this couple months ago asking about density. Anyways it's cheap so it was worth a try. i can see esthetics are a huge issue with DIY traps but mine will be hidden by curtains (not yet made)

specs: each package is 20"x30"x8", 28.5lbs, density close to 10pcf. My ceiling is 8ft so a stack of 3 weighs just under 90lbs. $12cdn @ home depot each, made by Cocoon. approx 10" of space from inside surface of stack to the corner

i don't know how to measure its performance but we know the plastic is practically transparent. This outspecs any panel one can reasonably make. OC705 is 6.0pcf for comparision. It should work. You just have to get creative about covering it.
LL

pepar 02-20-2008 05:45 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I installed superchunk-style traps in the front left and right corners and in the corner formed by the front wall and the ceiling.

Here is a composite pic of the L&R in place and my design for holding the horizontal trap.

pepar 02-20-2008 05:47 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of my brackets in action.

pepar 02-20-2008 05:49 PM

10 Attachment(s)
And the whole nine yards . . .

Nick in Manitou 02-20-2012 05:12 PM

Is there a significant difference in the performance of a bass trap where the corner is filled with triangles of material like Pepar's vs a 2" or 4" OC 705 panel installed across the corner with the airspace behind it?

I have read quite a lot of the various posts here on the numerous threads about acoustic treatments and on Ethan's site and perhaps I am just missing it, but I haven't seen a comparison between these two very different seeming concepts.

I tried to look at Chinaclipper's examples of bass traps but Norton Antivirus says the website is to be avoided.

I am not sure which style of bass trap to pursue...any suggestions?

It seems that for those of us who are at the stage of trying to figure out which direction to go with our acoustic treatments, that a resuscitation of this thread could be a help.

Thanks!

Nick in Manitou 02-20-2012 05:17 PM

Shoot!

After spending a lot of time over the last several weeks and not coming across the answer to my question of 3 minutes ago, I find it now (!!) in another thread I had not seen before.

Sorry about the bump of this thread, but perhaps we will get to see some more photos of bass traps and get some more good ideas.

seigneur_rayden 02-20-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post

Shoot!

After spending a lot of time over the last several weeks and not coming across the answer to my question of 3 minutes ago, I find it now (!!) in another thread I had not seen before.

Sorry about the bump of this thread, but perhaps we will get to see some more photos of bass traps and get some more good ideas.

And perhaps, you could post a link to the thread and post where you found your answer.

Nick in Manitou 02-20-2012 07:23 PM

Seigneur,

I am not savvy enough to be able to put a link in here, but the title of the thread is, "Corner Bass Trap Questions" and the question is asked in the first posting.

The answer it seems is that it is better to have the corner filled with the absorbent material, but I have seen it posted elsewhere (somewhere??) on this site that the difference is subtle.

I might end up building a set of 4" panels to try in the corners first and then perhaps use them on the walls if I don't feel that they are effective enough in the corners and then build "super chunk" absorbers for the corners.

Nick

seigneur_rayden 02-21-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post

Seigneur,

I am not savvy enough to be able to put a link in here, but the title of the thread is, "Corner Bass Trap Questions" and the question is asked in the first posting.

The answer it seems is that it is better to have the corner filled with the absorbent material, but I have seen it posted elsewhere (somewhere??) on this site that the difference is subtle.

I might end up building a set of 4" panels to try in the corners first and then perhaps use them on the walls if I don't feel that they are effective enough in the corners and then build "super chunk" absorbers for the corners.

Nick

No worries dude. Thanks for the reply. I read also somewhere that the difference is subtle.
Here is the link for future reference
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=777864