The Dog House Theater... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Welcome to the Dog House Theater!

I have been building this detached garage for almost a year now and I am just now getting to any of the real home theater stuff. I have had many a contractor and a few friends say, "Damn you built one hell of a dog house." Hence the name of my theater. Not to mention if I get in trouble with the wife, it wouldn't be too bad of a dog house to stay in for a while.

I tried to sub it out on my own and it was damn near impossible to do. Luckily I have a buddy who recently started building houses for a living and he said he would do it for cost + 10%. Sounded reasonable to me. I started blindly thinking I could build it for $30K, but I am coming close to double that. Through out the building process I kept telling myself, you are more or less building a complete house.

I am still amazed I got approval from the wife to build it. We had decided that we were either going to go into debt for a pool or detached garage and the garage won out. The pluses were the wife got to move her office out of our 3rd bedroom to the FROG where my previous home theater was and also clear out all the tools, paint, chemicals and crap out of our current gargage. Not to mention this increases our property value where the pool probably wouldn't of done squat but some enjoyment during the summer months. The previous theater is now (2) offices with a play area for my daughter. The panny 300U has been downgraded from a 92" screen to a 57" and is now amazingly bright for a poorly light controlled room.

On to the pics ...

Here is a picture shot from the entry door. You can see the bathroom which will just have a toilet and sink. I am still getting crap from the wife for not putting in a shower, but it wouldn't work right with the floor plan, not to mention it would rarely ever get used and be something else to clean. The stairs on the right go upstairs and there is a door there that will go out to a future deck.

Here is the wall where the screen will go. I have just bought material for a 126" diag 2.37 SMX screen. Had to get the material while the getting was still good. By the way, there are 10' ceilings in here.

Here is the opposite wall. On the left side you can see where the equipment rack will go along with a wet bar.

Here is a shot of the side wall. Another view of the equipment rack and to the left you can see a sheet rocked cubby hole for a fridge. Going with a 10cu ft one. Fits nicely under the slop of the roof.

Here are some other basic facts.
The theater portion not counting the side "bar" space is roughly 15.5' wide by 25' long. I am planing on going with an Epson 400 for the projector. I didn't go through the effort of sound isolation (double sheet rock, green glue, etc) as it isn't attached to the house. I am pretty much busted as $'s go. So the rest will be done pretty much on the cheap. To begin with I'll only be treating the front wall with Linacoustic, until I get the rest of the building complete. I have already purchased tile for the downstairs entry way and have all the wood for the front stage and riser. I currently have the front stage about 90% framed up, still have the riser and fake wall to go. Hopefully I'll finish framing the stage and riser by next week. I have to find someone to help me carry 4x8 sheets of 3/4" flooring upstairs. Not easy to do by youself. Anyone in SC?

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Where is Lexington, SC? Good luck with the build, looks like a fun project. Buy yourself one of those plastic panel carriers at home depot for about 7.00. It'll save your back and hands with the plywood. Got a bathroom in the doghouse or is that what the window is for ? Just remember to move the truck!

Bud
post #3 of 43 Old 07-31-2007, 10:44 PM

haha i love the name

very cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 08-01-2007, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nice project. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

post #5 of 43 Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 AM

So does this mean you'll perpetually misbehave so you get sent to the doghouse to watch movies?

Richard
post #6 of 43 Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

You can't be good all the time.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #7 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

So I am very slack in getting anything accomplished in the room and even slacker on updates. I thought I could get all the pics up to date tonight, but it looks like I never took any pics of the finished stage an riser. I was going to run outside and take some pics, but I realized things are a mess over there and I should probably clean up prior to taking any semi-finished pics.

Here is a pic of the rear riser framed up and insulated. The steps weren't complete in this pic. There is one straight ahead and another one on the right side.

I decided to put in some "conduit" for routing the rope lighting for the steps. It would be hard to run it after the flooring was down. Went with 3/4" copper tubing. It had the least amount of lip on the elbows vs pvc and I couldn't find any real conduit to make the bends I needed

A pic from the back side. I wasn't going to braze the joints so a little construction adhesive on there. Not that the joints would easily come apart, but better to be on the safe side. Kind of messed up a good clean look, but no one can see it now.

Same thing for the other step. Just a diffrent arrangement.

Here is the framing for the front stage.

And thats all I have pics downloaded for at the moment. Even though the riser and stage are complete. Even have the power all running in the riser. I'll get some finished pics up this weekend.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #8 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I do have one other update. I bought some inwall surround speakers off ebay. They are NHT's. I have no idea how they will sound, but I have heard good things about their normal free standing speakers. I wanted to go w/ dipoles, but the budget wouldn't allow it. I thought these would be the next best thing. They should have pretty good sound dispersion with the tweeter arrays.

Here are the IC3's that will be mounted in the sloped ceiling for the side surrounds.

And IW3's for the rear surrounds.

I will be doing the hole cut outs this weekend, but won't be installing them until I at least get the room primed and possibly painted. The frames and grills are going to be painted the wall color.

This weekend I will also be doing the cut out for the IB sub install that I will be doing. I had (2) Parts Express 15" IB's in hand for a couple days, but after a few posts around here and the cult of the infinitely baffled I decided to send them back. I am now going w/ (4) 15"'s from aespeakers. I will probably be ordering them this comming week.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #9 of 43 Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you set up the in-walls yet? How do they sound? What are you planning to use for fronts?
post #10 of 43 Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

No I haven't heard them yet. Last weekend I cut all the holes. I have some more work to get done before they are mounted. I don't want to put them in until I have some paint on the walls / ceiling. Every thing is still covered w/ sheet rock dust. I need to finish out the screen wall first as I can still see where the studs are from the sheet rock mud.

This weekend I will be working on the equipment rack and the box for the IB sub install for the ceiling. Got the subs in on Monday and boy they look sweet. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have the paint up and speakers installed. My goal is to be functional w/ projector by the end of Nov, but things move so slow with only me doing the work.

My current front speakers are some old Inifinity 2-ways, SM10's I think. They have 10" woofers and a 3/4 dome tweeter. I want to upgrade them, but too many other things to buy. They still sound good despite being over 10yrs old. With the SMX AT screen being installed I really would like all three front speakers to be the same. I never was really happy with the Inifinity center channel I have.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #11 of 43 Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am installing some Iw4 as fronts, Classic 3 center and Iw3 as surrounds in a friends theater in the next week or so. I'll let you know how the Iw4's work as fronts.
post #12 of 43 Old 10-19-2007, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. I bought the NHT's sort of blindly. I got a pretty good deal for them on Ebay and I figured since I was using them as surrouds it wouldn't be that critical.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #13 of 43 Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 AM

Dog House? More like Dream House! Garage with living area directly above.. what else do you need?

Jon
post #14 of 43 Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Some more updates. Just trying to get caught up.
Here is a pic of the completed rear riser. It is roughly 12" tall. I also have done all the cut outs for the inwall surround speakers. I cut through one of the speaker wires with the dremil I was using to cut the sheet rock. The wire will be a little short but salvageable. Always something.

Here is a pic of the completed stage. Notice the hole in the ceiling. That is where the IB sub is. Only a 14.5" x 23" hole for (4) 15's

Here is a pic of the subs. Bought (4) Acoustic Elegance subs. They are pretty sweet looking. Especially for the price. If they sound as good as they look, I'll be in for a treat

Here is the box that is housing them. 3/4" MDF on the outside w/ 5/8" OSB on the inside. I kind of skimped on the OSB, for some reason it was another $10/sheet to go up to 3/4". The box isn't perfect, but no one is really going to see it.

Here's a pic of the completed box up in the attic tucked away in the corner. I am going to have to do something about the A/C duct. Probably put some roofing felt over it to keep the vibration noise down on the outer skin.

Another closer shot...

And lastly a shot from inside the room. I am debating about painting over the silver nuts. Not to many people will ever see it, as the screen wall will cover up most if not all of the opening.

I don't have an amp for them yet. I am probably going w/ a Nady XA-700, that will put out 750 watts RMS bridged. It seems like most people are going w/ a Berhinger 1500 or 2500 for their IB set ups, but those amps are over double $'s (and double to triple the watts). I think I'll be fine, If not I can always upgrade in the future.

Current project is finishing out the equipment rack. It is about 60% complete. I just need to build the rear panel, (5) shelves and front trim.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #15 of 43 Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Any updates?

PSN ID: buckswin
post #16 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

The screen wall has been framed up for a couple months now and the equipment rack is 90% complete just need the rear access panel and paint. I have been meaning to post some pictures, but have been lazy. I'll up them tonight.

Boy things go slow when it is a one man construction crew. It has taken 3 nights of work so far on getting just the 1st coat of primer on the walls. Tonight I'll finish up the primer and hopefully I'll start on painting the ceiling blue this weekend.

BTW the subs sound decent. I think I really need more wattage along w/ an equalizer. It definately has more output than say a 12" stand alone sub and hits decently hard, but no where I think (4) 15's should. I am sure things will also sound better once I get a door to the room so it can be pressureized. One day I'll get a bigger amp, but with the lack of funds the Nady XA-700 fit the bill @ $125 delivered.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #17 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hadn't noticed this thread before. Very cool. Perfect setup, great size, no forced compromises (budget not withstanding). I wonder how the attic IB will sound from the outside.
post #18 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
WOOT another 'scope theater in the making. I have always said that I wish I had a basement. Perhaps I need to wish for a dog house instead!

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #19 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
this really is a cool project. keep chugging away and get us some pictures!
post #20 of 43 Old 02-08-2008, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

The IB is noticeable from outside, but not that bad. Kind of strange how bass travels though. From right outside the garage I didn't think it was loud at all, but my wife said she could hear it clearly in our main house next door and that it was loud. I need to do some listening of my own while in our main house. However I have had it cranked up loud many nights and no complaints from her and I haven't woke up the kid.

The anoying neighbors dog barking most of the night is much worse.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #21 of 43 Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM

I'm sure there will be enough "bark" with your theater to piss of the dog in retaliation.

Looks really nice. Can't wait to see more.

Acoustically transparent screens are good space savers and add a lot to the "theater" look. I can't wait to see this done. You'll be the toast of the town.

Richard
post #22 of 43 Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 PM

fillydee do you have any insulation behind that speaker that is against the wall? If you dont I would recommend you put about 4" of insulation on the wall right behind it.

What its doing is just bouncing off the wall and kind of cancelling that driver out in a way. Best explanation I got at the moment. heh

cheers to your theater

Trevor
post #23 of 43 Old 02-10-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Titch are you talking about the IB up in the attic? I hadn't thought about putting any insulation up there on the wall next to it. I am sure it can't hurt. I am definately going to put linacoustic on behind the screen wall in the main room and probably bass traps in the front corners.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #24 of 43 Old 02-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Yeah sorry I guess I never really said which speaker. My bad.

I was talking about the one sub that is right up against the wall.

cheers

Trevor
post #25 of 43 Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the front screen wall. Notice how the IB is off center. When I cut the hole, I noticed the HVAC guys installed the air vent off center, so for symetetry I decided to keep it in line with it. Thinking that would be visually the best. Turns out I ended up moving the screen wall out far enough so the IB hole will be behind it and out of sight.

The kick outs on the side will eventually house the side masking for the 2.35 screen. It would be nice to have these automated, but that is so far down the line. I probably won't tackle the masking until the rest of the room is complete.

I know I will probably catch crap for not having the screen wall isolated from the side walls and ceiling, but I couldn't figure out an easy way to do the wall w/o having some mounting points. Maybe I should of put some foam dampeners in between. Oh Well! No rattles or vibrations at this point and I don't care about sound transmission out of the room.

The screen will be mounted on the front as opposed to framing out the screen opening. I liked this design the best as I can reposition the screen up and down if needed once I finally get the seats. The position won't be locked in place until I build up the black GOM panels.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #26 of 43 Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the update - I have been watching this thread since you started it!
post #27 of 43 Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some updates. Just a little behind. Pics are a month or two old and finally getting downloaded off the camera. Progress is a little bit further along, but I haven't taken any good pictures yet.

Here is a picture of the screen frame. I was pretty satisfied how it came out. It is 1-1/2" aluminum sq tube. I don't remember the exact dimensions, but it is a 2.38 screen about 10' wide. I painted it black, but the spray paint wouldn't stick well despite the sanding I gave it. I ended up having to sand off all the paint on the side that was going to get the velcro for the screen.

Like the boat? Another side project a 1950, 12ft V-hull boat w/ a 1991 waverunner motor and drivetrain.

Some construction details and hanging bracket

Side surrounds installed and painted

Front screen wall painted black. Like the splotchyness (sp)? It doesn't mattered it is now all covered w/ Linacoustic. But the black paint sufficed for a month until I picked up the Linacoustic. FYI, since I know a lot of people have issues finding Linacoustic, if you are in the south east NB Handy is OC's distributor. I haven't seen anyone post them as a source before.

And progress to current...
SMX material installed on frame and hung on wall
HC4900 projector installed and loving it.
Bought it right at the rebate deadline. Only slight issue I have is watching high SPL scenes vibrate the projector. Took about 3 movies till I hit the right one and it blurred the whole image, in the mean time having the floor feel like it is moving a 1/2" itself.
I added some foam in the mount and it does better, but not entirely fixed.

I 'll try to get some new pics up soon.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #28 of 43 Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Sweet Dude...Glad to see you're still at it. This was one of my favs and then you bought a boat. That's a big no no as no good ever comes from a boat. Anyway, can't wait to see some more pics.
post #29 of 43 Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Actually the boat came before the garage. It sat underneath a tarp in the yard for a good year and it now has had a dry home for another year. It is just another unfinished project. Pretty fun though. Probably the fastest that boat has ever gone in it's life. Only rated for a 9.9hp on the back transom and it has a 35Hp Yamaha jet drive mounted in the center of the boat. It goes about 30 and you can drive it almost like a waverunner. I have spun it around, but nothing too crazy. Not a lick of flotation in it. If it sinks. I'll need to get out the scuba gear...

Pretty amazing a 58 year old boat and a 1st generation waverunner, '87 I think. I rode the hell out of it all through high school. Nothing was ever done to it except maybe one set of spark plugs (The current ones that are in there are probably 10 years old). Serial # is in the 500's. So it was one of the 1st sit down jet ski's in the US. The last 5-8 years of it's life was just laying around on my parents beach, so I figured I might as well do something with it.

My Home Theater Build
The Dog House
post #30 of 43 Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What shade of blue is that on your ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page