MysticalJet Home Theater Project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 10-26-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Hello Everyone,

Well I have a little time so I will update on the progress. First, all the construction is DIY and the equipment list is below.

Receiver: Onkyo TX -SR605
SD DVD player: Sony 5 Disc (need to check model #)
Game System: XBOX 360 and Modified XBOX 1 and PS2
Media Center: Xbox 1
Sony PS3: gaming and Blyray
Speakers : All JBL Venue series
2 X Stadium 3-WAY 8" Dual Speaker
1 X Voice 2-WAY 5" Dual CC Speaker
2 X Balcony 2-WAY 4" on wall speaker
1 X SUB 12 12" 500w Powered Subwoofer
Projector: Mitsubishi HC 4900 1080P

Screen: DIY Blackout Cloth 86" wide

Updated photos. Not 100% complete, but close. Thought I would put these in the beginning. Some panorama shots.

Hello everyone. I have decided, like so many others, to track my Home Theater build here. This is my first build and I have to thank all of you for the amazing amount of information on this site. anyway on to the Project.

Beginning Summary: We bought this house in June 07. It already had a finished basement built for a live in nanny. We have no use for this and I have decided to convert one of the finished basement rooms into a home theater. I have always wanted to do this (with my other houses) but never had a chance. Anyway, some constraints
1) build with cost savings in mind
2) do not overhaul the basement
3) Re-use as much material as possible from any tear down
4) Keep my wife out until complete

I posted some designs a while ago, but here is (for the most part) the one I decided to go with:

This is the basement room before any work:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I started the tear down of some walls on 9/22/07. I am trying to preserve as much lumber as possible so I can re-use. I have tore out a part of a closet in the back corner and I will be incorporating a false wall 34" out from the back wall. I have also removed a portion of the front wall (this will be the new entrance to the room) and removed the funky bump out entrance. I have also adjusted the portion of the drop ceiling covering the ductwork. I shrunk it so the lower section takes up less space. There was a lot of wasted space above the drop ceiling, so I shrunk the "Soffit" to give more height:

post #3 of 45 Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One month later I have built the screen (blackout cloth).
Screen Size 84" wide:

I have framed the wall were the funky bumpout was to create a straight wall:

I have also framed the screenwall:

All the framing was completed re-using the 2X4 from the teardown and yes that is insulation I am going to re-use also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We recycled some of the scrap lumber in the stage when we ran out of sand. Turns out it take a LOT of sand to fill a stage.

Where are you planning to locate equipment/speakers?

Kelly
post #5 of 45 Old 10-28-2007, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is a closet to the left of the chairs and riser (Not really shown that well in above photos or plan) that will house the equipment. The wiring will run through above the drop ceiling.

I have hung the sheetrock on the back wall and I have started taping and mudding. The sheetrock is also recycled from the tear down.

I will get pictures up once I finish the taping, mud, and sanding.
post #6 of 45 Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A week later and some more work:

Painted the screen framing black:

Also finished with the taping, mudding and sanding of rear wall:

Also hung the screen on the wall:

It's amazing how once the screen is hung, everything comes clearer.

I have constructed the frames for the fabric on the screen wall and will post more pics once I get the fabric up.
post #7 of 45 Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got a bit further on the screen wall. I built 4 rectangular frames using 1X2 wood using metal L brace for the corners. I also placed a support accross the middle of the frame and used metal t-braces to secure. I painted the frames black. I baought Dazian Celtic black cloth (5 yards) and attached the cloth on the frames with staples. I stretched the cloth as best I could.

I attached the frames to the screen wall studs using small elbow brases and screws. Some pics below:

I will eventually install black painted baseboard accross the bottom. All in all, so far I am happy with the results. Next up is the riser ... stay tuned.
post #8 of 45 Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another update on progress:

I have painted the walls in the room a deep purple/eggplant color. Interesting story - this is not the original color I was thinking, but I realy like how it turned out. Originally I was going to go a deep green, but then changed my mind and wanted a deep burgandy. I found a color at Lowes (Valspar) and ordered the Burgandy in flat. I left the paint desk to pick up a few addtional items. When I returned, the lady who was preparing the paint informaed me that that particular color burgandy cannot be made in flat but that she tried to "customize" another color to match. The spot she dabbed on the can top look pretty close, so I took a chance. Turns out she made the deep eggplant color that is now on my walls which is not the same as the burgandy color BUT I really really like the color. In any event, the color is custom (not one you can pick from a card) and I also like that idea. In order to get more paint, I will have to save the paint can lid that has the sticker of the mixture ingredients. It will be perfect with the GOM fabric that I have picked out fro covering the lower half of my walls. Anyway on to the pictures:

Wall color

Equipment closet behind the door

Concession nook for popcorn machine and candy

Screen on false wall with walk behind. This will eventually have a heavy velvet curtain covering the opening.

Ceiling panels out for electrical wiring for sconces and recessed lighting above the screen.

GOM Fabric sample:

GOM Fabric name and style:
post #9 of 45 Old 11-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Lookin good!
post #10 of 45 Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Lookin great!

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #11 of 45 Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Progress has been slowed a bit due to life as usual. Since last update, I ran electric for lighting. I installed 4 sconces in the room. 2 in bumpout where concession stand will go and 2 in the room. I have also installed 3 3" recessed lights above the screen. Shots below.

Sconces are on their own dimmer, as well as the recessed lights.

BTW: I have some shots I didn't post of the screen build if anyone is interested on how I built the screen.
post #12 of 45 Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Framing has started for the Riser. Bics below. Outer frame is 2X10 with inner joists are 2X6 hung with joist hangers. 16" wide X 6" high step.

I would like a step light, but the ones they carry at Lowes are too bulky. Anyone with suggestions for sleeker step lights?
post #13 of 45 Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The riser is 99% complete. The only additional item will be base trim around where the two carpets meet. Pictures below follow the progress. I did all the work including carpet install ... not that easy! I rented a knee kick stretcher from the local Taylor Rental for $16 for one day. Beat buying one for +$70. The carpet was a remnant from Lowes 8' X 12' - normally $130 but was marked down to $35 .. unbelieveable deal. I would recommend if your on a budget to check out the remnants at Lowes! All in all I am happy wit the final product. If you decide to do the carpet yourself without much experience like me, make sure you have patience!!! On with the pictures.

I finished the framing, filled the interior with insulation, and added the 3/4" plywood

Added the carpet padding to all surfacces including wrapping around the edges. The picture below is of an early shot during the padding phase and I forgot to take one when all the padding was on. What a pain to get it around the hangover edge! Even more difficult was the carpet.

Finally carpeting of the Riser. Only the finished product pictures because once I got going, I just didn't stop!

Plug in lights to the side and a step light. The lights on the side swivel and point to where you want. I will eventually paint them black. They all have a photosensor and turn off when the lights come on in the room.

post #14 of 45 Old 01-01-2008, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As mentioned at the very beginning, I am building this theater with material that already existed in the room. For the ceiling I reused the ceiling tiles by flipping them over and painting the backside black. All the wires were run prior to replacing the ceiling tiles. Here are some pictures.

post #15 of 45 Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 AM

looks good. definitely like the way you're making good use of what's already there.
post #16 of 45 Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Liked: 12
Why did you flip the ceiling tiles over before painting them?
post #17 of 45 Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrspata4 View Post

Why did you flip the ceiling tiles over before painting them?

A few reasons.

1) Not sure if it makes a big difference, but I read that the white face cover on the tiles may reflect sound more so I turned them over to help with the refelection if any.

2) My tiles had a random design on the front with groves that would have been a pain to paint.

3) In the future, if I sell the house and the new owner does not like the black tiles, they can simply flip them over rather than buy new tiles for room. (rather than me buy new tiles also).
post #18 of 45 Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You are coming along. Are you going to paint the "tracks" of the drop ceiling also? Kind of cool looking as is, but cleaner the other way. Just curious.
post #19 of 45 Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

You are coming along. Are you going to paint the "tracks" of the drop ceiling also? Kind of cool looking as is, but cleaner the other way. Just curious.

I like the look with the white tracks; however, another poster did point out that it might cause an issue with light reflection back onto the screen with use of the projector. I am waiting for the delivery of the projector and I will test this out when it gets here. If there are issues, I will probably paint them. If not, I will keep as is.
post #20 of 45 Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Need some ideas. I am tossed up with the fabric color. Initially I was going with the GOM Network listed higher in the thread, but now I am thinking it might be too much design and purple. I was thinking black Velvet for the bottom half of the walls separated trimmed with chair rail.
Any thoughts or opinions on a color that would work well?
post #21 of 45 Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Black goes with everything. So I'd look at the "show us your screenwall" thread for some ideas (maybe the picture sticky in the 2.35 forum too).
post #22 of 45 Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated photos below. I changed my mind on the fabric choice from what I showed previously. 2 reasons for the change: 1)I thought purple on purple would be a bit too much 2) I was turned on to a suede look that I saw on someone elses wall. I picked the fabric up at a local fabric store.

If anyone is interested, I can detail the process I used for putting the fabric and rigid fiberglass up. Since I could not get OC703 easily, I went with the Armstrong 402 ceiling tile (5/8"), peeled the face off, doubled up, and placed behind the fabric. I am about 3/4 done with the fabric for the room.

I also am in the process of building a column on the back wall to support the projector. Right now, it doesn't look like much of a column, but once I trim it up I think it will look pretty good.

The top of the column will be an MDF board (21"wide X 15" deep). I routed the edges as shown below. It still needs to be painted.

All of the trim work will be painted gold.

Here is the chair rail painted gold that I will use to cap off the fabric.

Thats it for now .. My projector arrived - Mitsubishi HC4900, tested and working. Can't wait to start watching movies.
post #23 of 45 Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking great. I love the way you are doing it high end but probably not spending a fortune. (thats all relative of course). Nice detail touches. You must be getting excited to start your first high def movie...

Epson 6020UB Projector
Dalite Contour HighPower Manual Pull Down
Denon AVR3311CI
Sony PS3
B&W CDM-7NT Speakers
post #24 of 45 Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think it came out pretty nice. The trim work really pulled it together. some pics:
Front shot

Angle shot

Another angle (shelf)
post #25 of 45 Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Sax
Advanced Member

You should also paint the drop ceiling supports black too. I took a brush and painted mine flat black. It look a lot better.
post #26 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Work on the room has slowed a bit because of travel last week. I have made some progress on the trim around the room. I still need to paint the window and door trim to pull it all together, but below are some progress shots.

Baseboard is now installed

Bump out where concession stand/popcorn will be

Column being built on opposing side wall.
post #27 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 AM

Liked: 12
Great work for a little over 2 months in! This looks really upscale and you should be proud of it!

What are you using for speakers/amps?
post #28 of 45 Old 02-04-2008, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To answer the question above - I am looking to upgrade the receiver and speakers for this room but I haven't decided yet. I am trying to do this on a strict budget, so I do not imagine they will be high end audiophile speakers. They will be used strictly for movies, and I am not extremely fussy when it comes to sound. As long as the speakers and sub do not rattle ( I like bass) and sound good to my ears. Once I get all my equipment, I will post the specs.

Progress pics below. I have finished the side column, tore up some carpet and replaced with laminate flooring (HW look a like - Brazilian cherry).

The laminate came from the local Ocean State Job lot at $20 for ~ 14 sq. ft. Kronotex - made in Germany - pretty good stuff.
post #29 of 45 Old 02-10-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added a wet bar to this side of the theater on the new floor. Next Steps are to trim it up and treat the walls around the the bar . This will finalize the treatment/fabric on the walls.

post #30 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My speaker system came in. I ultimately went with a JBL system - the Venue Series. Not High fidelity/audiophile quality, but I have listened to them in several stores next to klipsh and polk and I like the sound. The price tag worked for me (great deal online with free shipping for all speakers) since I am trying to keep this as a budget home theater. I have hooked them up through my older HK AV120 and tested the through transformers - sounds great. I am upgrading my receiver to the Onkyo TX-SR605 - which is on order. At some point, I will be getting in ceiling speakers for my sides to complete the 7.1. As for the construction, I have completed most of the trim work throughout the theater with a few more areas to complete. Once the trim is done, I will be hanging the doors and curtains where needed. I will probably wait until I am almost complete until I post the next updated construction photos. Thanks and enjoy.

All JBL Venue series
2 X Stadium 3-WAY 8" Dual Speaker
1 X Voice 2-WAY 5" Dual CC Speaker
2 X Balcony 2-WAY 4" on wall speaker
1 X SUB 12 12" 500w Powered Subwoofer
Pics below

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page