16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 406 Old 11-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Hi RobZ,
LOL. Each time my friends and family come over, they let me know that they enjoy spending time here.

Hi grigsby,
That's funny. There sure is a lot of tile up there.

Hi swamdog,
Yes, it is a Cayenne in the background. The other cars are in the garage. Here is a pic of my daily-driver:

will....will you marry me? or adopt me....either way....
wicked house, wicked project. i will be following this one close. Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 406 Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM

Nice pile of bricks ya got there
post #33 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
May we ask what you do for a living?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 12
calbear,

I'm guessing you made a mint in software or hardware from your location. Fantastic house you have there. Man I would love to have a 6 car garage (my biggest regret with my new house I built is that I didn't go with a 3 car garage oh well next one I will)

Project is coming along nicely looking forward to seeing more.
Your budget is quite impressive for the room as well Titan PJ very nice indeed.

Cheers
Calvin
post #35 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 AM

looking back on my comment regarding the $'s you have just in your roof.......makes me feel like a prick. Never do I care to covet another man's success or make the impression that I do.

Good on you for your success and for sharing your project with us.
post #36 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi MGNiko,
Thank you.

Hi obxdiver and calv1n,
Good guess about being into computers. Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge about computers, which is ironic, considering that I live in the Silicon Valley. I am actually into real estate.
Thanks for the kind word calv1n. Actually, the Titan PJ is owned by TSHA222. He was listing his equipment in his post.

Thanks grigsby for your thoughtful response.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #37 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigsby View Post

looking back on my comment regarding the $'s you have just in your roof.......makes me feel like a prick. Never do I care to covet another man's success or make the impression that I do.

Good on you for your success and for sharing your project with us.

Uh.... My name is Shawn, and I do covet...

LOVE what you have goin on there. Dual NSX's? Nice. Sometimes I look at these theaters, and think "man, I am scum..." Then I see the houses they are in, and then it makes more sense! My motto? If ya got it, use it! You can't take it with ya, so enjoy it now! (Well, those aren't really my mottos, but they sound cool, given the context of this thread! )

For real though, congrats on a superb build.
post #38 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Gunna be a fun place to hang out. I am sure you will have friends dropping over unexpectedly

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #39 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can I come live with you? My wife and daughter won't make much of a mess.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
post #40 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Shawn,
I subscribe to your point of view about using what you have and living in the moment.

Hi W00lly,
I would like to have more friends and family over. Since the construction has been ongoing, my wife has not been enthusiastic about guests, since the house is not very presentable with all of the dust floating throughout the house. In addition to the aforementioned rooms, we are also still trying to finish up our gym and play room, so the work is really making a mess. In some ways, we have been a little concerned about our baby, so I would like to get this finished in a hurry.

Hi huskerpat,
LOL. I am happy to entertain guests. That's why we built all those living rooms, so that our friends and family can stay with us.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #41 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the construction at the point of framing.

This is a picture of the back end of theater, the entire gameroom, the lobby, and the A/V room taken from a point about 15feet from the screen. From this perspective, the screen would be on the left side if we turned our head about 120 degrees. Note the step down in the floor, as we will build the two levels of risers to become flush with the rest of the second story:

Viewpoint of the theater, lobby, and A/V room from the lobby where the pool table would be:

Theater with trusses installed:

Gameroom with trusses and roof boards installed:

Last edited by calbear; 09-08-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #42 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Just fantastic !! Please keep us posted.

I love this one ...

Art
post #43 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Art!
Great to hear from you. I've always admired your threads and found your posts to be very helpful. I hope that someday I can have a gathering like your many events... although I will need to recruit some ladies outside of my family to be ticket takers. My daughter is only 5 months old :-)

post #44 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Hi Art!
Great to hear from you. I've always admired your threads and found your posts to be very helpful. I hope that someday I can have a gathering like your many events... although I will need to recruit some ladies outside of my family to be ticket takers. My daughter is only 5 months old :-)

Thanks ! I know how excited you must be if you are anything at all like me regarding this stuff.

Art
post #45 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Same here, I'm a broker in Anchorage, AK. I tell people I sell igloos for a living.....suprising how many people believe me Congrats on your success, it can be a tough challenge & I love seeing people succeed!
post #46 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
calbear,

Having pushed more than a few NSXs around tight corners at high speeds, I can truly say my envy of your daily driver and "racecar disguised as an SUV" is making my MDX feel like a red headed stepchild. Ever take the yellow one to the track? Looks like it might have some mods...

I have to agree with Art. That photo is priceless!
post #47 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi MGNiko,
It must be good income to sell igloos! Talk about planned obsolence... aren't they seasonal, meaning that you have to rebuild them after every summer season? J/K
Thank you for your well wishes.

Hi Audixium,
NSXs are fantastic sports cars, aren't they? Where have you driven them? Are you part of the NSX club?
I think the MDX is a great SUV. My wife actually favored the MDX over the Porsche before she finally warmed up to it.

The yellow one does have mods. It is now a widebody. It used to look like this:

This was before I crashed it at that track event. Luckily, it was cosmetic. No structural damage whatsover, but I had the car for about 9 yrs, so I thought it was time for a change, and boy was it drastic. The yellow widebody adds probably somewhere between 6" to 12" more width to the car. I now have 18" forged wheels in the front and 20" forged wheels in the rear with about a 4-1/2" lip. HIDs, Comptech exhaust, and a new ECU helps to up the HP. The NSX really is about balance (power, pure handling, braking, comfort) rather than raw horsepower, so I think this car is still not a far deviation from the spirit of Soichiro Honda.
I have not tracked this car yet, and I don't know if I ever will, since I put so much time and money into it. However, it sure does sing in the twisties nearby.

Close up of rear quarter fender and deep-dish wheels:

Here is a picture of both of my NSXs in front of an SR71. This was when the silver used to be owned by my friend before I bought it from him:

Last edited by calbear; 09-08-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #48 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Audixium,
NSXs are fantastic sports cars, aren't they? Where have you driven them? Are you part of the NSX club?
I think the MDX is a great SUV. My wife actually favored the MDX over the Porsche before she finally warmed up to it.

Yes - fantastically balanced specimens! I haven't been on a track with one. But I have had, shall we say , "unlimited" legal access to a variety of models ('91-'98) in NC and CO. It is a joy when you know where all the local but unpopular twisties are.

Unfortunately back in '95 I forgot I wasn't in an NSX and tried pushing another car through some curves at over 90 mph and ended up rolling 3 times. No belt, no broken bones, and I was able to literally RUN 1/2 mile to my house - thank you adrenaline.

Sure my wife noticed I was bleeding (more than a little) and after an afternoon in the hospital to remove the hundreds of glass shards from my back I was relegated to the couch for a week. But I learned to respect a car's limits that day.

So, yes - enjoy those things. But do be careful. Your new family member needs you more than you know!
post #49 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, anybody feeling the Aggrestic/Magestic connection in these photos?
post #50 of 406 Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Audixium,
It sounds like a great experience you had with the cars. How did you have unlimited access? Were you part of NSXPO or some type of journalistic event?

I am very glad to hear that you emerged from such a serious accident with minimal injuries!! That is a tough way to learn the limits of a car. It is preferable to learn it on the track, as I now know better the relative limits. I can still only drive it 7/10 of its potential.
I found that I do drive a little slower with the baby in back. However, it is very difficult to keep from being spirited when driving alone, although the thought does nag me that I need to make sure I am around for my family.

Sorry all for the deviation from home theater to cars. They are both passions of mine. We will now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

post #51 of 406 Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Nice house! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #52 of 406 Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone else wonder how an RS1 will light up a 212" diagonal 16x9 screen? Or a 16 ft wide 2:35 screen?
post #53 of 406 Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 View Post

Does anyone else wonder how an RS1 will light up a 212" diagonal 16x9 screen? Or a 16 ft wide 2:35 screen?

Your not alone on that one either. I didn't think the RS1 had the lumens for that but I've been out of the loop for a few weeks so I thought maybe they've done some sort of upgrade. I originally thought he was using the titan (so no issues there with that majestic beast).

calbear looks like the type of guy that does his homework though so maybe it fits the bill. I don't think I've seen anyone else on AVS that is matching a RS1 with a screen this large, I don't know if what the projected foot lamberts will be with the combo but maybe someone can weigh in and let us know if he is going to get 13 or higher with the combo. It does look fine with pics shown though so if that is any indication it appears he will be fine.

Cheers
Calvin
post #54 of 406 Old 11-27-2007, 04:32 PM

calbear,
Did you say you already purchased the projector or that you are looking at an RS1 ?

Art
post #55 of 406 Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks victor-eyed! Since you are fairly local, hopefully you can check it out in person.

Hi fletch999, calv1n, and Art,

Like I said before, I understand the numbers. I've run them over and over, and I was prepared to consider having to run stacks, or go with a really powerful 3-chip DLP. However, what I see conflicts with everything that the forums have said and with what I've calculated. Those pictures are all taken with the RS1. I purchased the JVC from Jason Turk back in Nov of 2006 and had it delivered earlier this year as one of the second wave customers.
In particular, the King Kong photos are very revealing. They are not retouched in any way, and actually were taken by MississippiMan. It sure doesn't look like 3 ft-lamberts, as would be the calculated amount. I imagine the gain on the screen must therefore be very high, or I have an exceptional example of the RS1. If there is anyone local who may have the equipment to test the gain, I would be very happy to host some experiments.

Thanks for your interest.

post #56 of 406 Old 11-28-2007, 06:32 AM

Hey ,if it ends up looking good, ultimately, that's all that counts.

Art
post #57 of 406 Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Hey ,if it ends up looking good, ultimately, that's all that counts.

Art

Agreed and by the photos it looks like I'd just grab some popcorn a drink and wait for the show to start
I didn't think the RS1 had the "firepower" but it appears it does. Good to know but I'll still likely wait to for a 3 chipper DLP when I jump to 1080P.

Cheers
Calvin
post #58 of 406 Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Art and Calv1n,
I too agree that it is hard to argue with a good picture. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. if I saw the images both of you have in your theaters, I am sure I will be convinced that it is not bright enough.

As for now, I am very satisfied with the RS1. I may have to replace the bulb at a sooner time than other owners to keep the brightness level acceptable, but it will still cost me a heck of a lot less than the $20k+ that I had initially budgeted for. At this point, anything that can keep this monster from getting any more overbudgeted than it is, will be a good thing!

post #59 of 406 Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Glad to know that the RS-1 does work out. Are you using an anamorphic lens for the scope screen?
post #60 of 406 Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks victor-eyed! Since you are fairly local, hopefully you can check it out in person.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing once its complete. I'm the hills overlooking Cal State.

Many thanks!

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page