Welcome to "The Aquarium" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My theater has been under construction for a long time now, and some of you have caught glimpses of my little slice of heaven in other threads. I have recently installed 10 chairs, and since it's finally starting to looking like something, it's time I started my own thread. Enjoy!

I have always liked fish. I have always liked the name "The Aquarium" for a theater. When I saw the color scheme of the "Seablue" restaurant at the MGM Grand in Vegas, I had a starting point. Some of you have amazing theaters that have the traditional false wall/stage/chair rail/GOM/columns type of layout. For me though, I wanted something different.

Audio performance is my focus and thus I have designed it around freestanding speakers. I designed this basement theater in conjunction with my house so I got the opportunity to avoid bad dimensions, teleposts, and HVAC cutting into headroom. My room is 16x26x9. The lower wall forms a wave which accomodates ideal surround placement, hides blue rope lights, and ties into the water theme. I knew fabricating acoustic panels would be difficult and hence the ugly panels you see now. I will have curved fabric panels in the future that are much more creative in design!

Bass trapping I have covered in a previous thread. Basically they are stacks of cellulose insulation (Cocoon from Home Depot). Each stack of three in the front corners weighs close to 90lbs so I've calculated its density (10pcf) to be higher than OC705. In each rear corner, I built a corner shelf for media which nicely hides a stack of two Cocoons.

Equipment:
LCR speakers: Aerial Model 9, Aerial CC3B
Subs: SVS PC-Ultra, Paradigm Servo 15
Preamp: Anthem AVM20
amps: Classe CA150, Anthem MCA3
sources: Pioneer DV79AVi, PS3, Tosh A2
Eq: Velodyne SMS-1
video: BenQ 8720

EDIT: my carpet is NOT purple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 30
Nice work. I really like the lighting effects. How about a closer look at those panels on the side wall?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #3 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

gonzo: They're much like yours w/o the fabric covering for now. Used 3" Roxul. I could easily wrap them but I want arcs and curves, so I might move them to the front wall where I'll be able to hide them later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 05:22 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5381 Post(s)
Liked: 4993
WOW, I'm a big fan of blue. Very creative.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
wow, very nice and a step away from the norm. great speakers too! my kid has that same nemo stuffed fish. the only thing i don't like is the carpet and the pink lighting, but please don't mind me. again, amazing theater and happy holidays!

"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't."
post #6 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeash View Post

the only thing i don't like is the carpet and the pink lighting, but please don't mind me. again, amazing theater and happy holidays!

I actually like the contrast of the pink/red family to the blue. The carpet is almost like the colored rock that is sometimes at the bottom of an aquarium The pink lighting provides a great contrast as well. It really says "Aquarium!" All blue would have been overboard (no pun intended )... the pink adds a wonderful balance.
Well Done!

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist
Cam Communications Cinema Palace Construction Thread
Cam's Whole House AV and Automation Thread

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #7 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys! Actually, my carpet is NOT purple. No matter the white balance on my camera, it comes out purple. It actually is a deep blue.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM

Wow! Great concept and execution. Very original. I for one would like to see more construction photos. Congratulations on an awsome looking theater!

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #9 of 28 Old 12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'd really like to see or know a little bit more about how you built out the curves on the wall and tucked in the rope light. You've got me thinking of something behind my bar.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-23-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

i had a collection of construction photos of my house which were in my PC that I did not back up. The PC went coo-coo....

To frame the curve, I made a scale drawing of each wall on graph paper. I had to know where each stud was relative to a fixed reference. The concrete front wall was the reference for the sides, the door was the reference for the rear. The stud location wasn't the same for both side walls (close, not exact). I drew my curve on paper. Wherever the curve intersected a stud was the length to the floor I scaled back to real life. Cut the 1"x1" and screwed onto the studs. I had to shim some and cut others to get a pleasing arc, as well as symmmetry.

A thin piece of flexible material was secured to the top of the extensions to form the curve. I rip 2"x4"x8' into thin slices, but in hindsight, I shoulda just bought MDF trim. Vapor barrier was put on over top, then drywall. The drywall was cut 1.5" higher than the curve to form a trough. I determined this trough depth by experimenting with depths required for the blue rope light to lose the hotspotting from the incandescent bulbs. If one had ropes of uniform glow, then a shallow trough would suffice. The drywaller did a great job on cutting the curve by using a wooden wheel with a radius equal to the depth of the trough. He had some sort of drill bit (side cutting?) through the center, and just ran the wheel behind the drywall on top of that flexible wood strip. This way the trough is of uniform depth all around. It was pretty clever because once you cover the curve, I wondered how one would know where to cut. Although i wasn't present, I think that the one cut would generate the drywall pieces for both lower and upper wall. Finally, he used some 1/4 round trim for finishing the curve.
post #11 of 28 Old 12-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Wow very clean!
Have any info on the accent lights for the wall?

Drew
post #12 of 28 Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Thank you for explaining the construction of the walls. You were lucky to have a drywall guy who didn't think you were Nuts!
post #13 of 28 Old 12-23-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Drewbert:

the rope lights are from Walmart. Nothing fancy. There is an electrical outlet behind each bass trap in the front.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally decided on how to do my front wall. I was gonna do curtains originally but as time went on, that idea went wayside. I'm framing a false wall with curved sections in the corners. It will be made up of five sections, the middle being removable for access behind. For the covering I'm gonna put up 1/8" sheets of pegboard and then wrap in a black fabric, like the sock that wraps a SVS cylinder but not loose. I want to insulate behind, but I fear with 3" Roxul on the entire front wall, I might make the room too dead. Should I slice it into 1.5"? Should I just use 3" at ear level?

Just in case if anyone is wondering why pegboard? If I just wrap the frame with fabric, I can see the joists in the curves stick out like ribs on a skinny dude. The pegboard will provide support for the fabric into a smooth curve as well as let sound pass thru for absorption behind. Any thoughts on a better way?
post #15 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 01:42 AM

hymmmm now that is one nice theater room for sure hmmm on the peg board howabout something like cork board it haves some absorption to it doesnt it or not ? but the color looks fannnntasticcc for sure keep up the pics would love to see the out come of it
post #16 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 AM

Love the room. You don't have little kids that could topple those speakers do you? Where did you get the chairs?
post #17 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
great room. dig the chairs. later.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 629
I love your theater. A great alternative to the "standard" that you see so many building. Can't wait to see this one put together.

PS I hate you guys with room dimension like yours.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hey, Nice looking room - do you have a shot of where your side speakers are positioned with the seats? hard to tell from the pics you have. Do they sit right between the two row of seatings?

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #20 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You don't have little kids that could topple those speakers do you? Where did you get the chairs?

No I don't. But they are 120lbs each and spiked, so they are quite sturdy. I'm more afraid of kids poking the tweeter if anything.

The chairs came from the Blue Man Group theater at the Luxor hotel in Vegas (the Eqyptian pyramid). BMG moved to the Venetian a couple years ago and that's when Luxor did some major renos I suppose. i got them for $50 each + ship. I'm not crazy about the "nude mannequin" color but they're reasonably comfortable and they'll do the job for at least 5 years. I'd get the high back theater seats next time. Not a Berkline fan.

doing more work today!
post #21 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

do you have a shot of where your side speakers are positioned with the seats?

If I lean back in first row, it should make the front half of the side speaker directly beside my ear. I was telling Aquafire in his "half ocean" theater to experiment with a more forward placement with his bipoles cuz it seems to envelope better when I'm in my 2nd row.

Thanks guys!
post #22 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

I'm not crazy about the "nude mannequin" color but they're reasonably comfortable and they'll do the job for at least 5 years. I'd get the high back theater seats next time. Not a Berkline fan.

doing more work today!

It wouldn't be a whole lot of work to take them apart and repaint the tan.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So is the center of the speaker in line of the aisle of the second row?
LL

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #24 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

here! It's actually ahead of the aisle. Ignore what I said before. I moved the front row back 6" or so when I mounted it recently.
LL
post #25 of 28 Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update! After two days of hard work, I've managed to complete 4/5 of my false wall. There is 18" of space behind the wall along the flat section, more in th corners. Turned out pretty good I think. I've left the middle section because I still need access to the back. I'm gonna do 3" thick Roxul at least at ear level. The downside is there is additional bass reinforcement for my Aerials. I might pull em out a couple inches after insulation. Thank you to the flexible bass managment of the Anthem and the Velodyne SMS-1 to help me flatten out room FR.

Final rack layout and cabling is TBD. I need a big ass amp to drive the 9's and I might score a CC5 center if the price is right.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are the latest photos. Since last update I have scrapped the front false wall. It didn't sound good. I did some curtains instead. Last week, I installed new baseboards, painted MDF, to match the panels. It used to be maple. In an effort to clean up the front, I added a small cabinet to house my gear and to serve as the center stand. The door trim is in progress. I'm gonna paint the door gray and add a thin acoustic panel on it to match.

Wish list:
-Curtains too long, like pants that drag on the floor. Need to hem them so they drape nice.
-Paint the screen case black
-New chairs. I want two row of fours. Sick of theater style. Sick of the tan color.
I'm liking these. Reasonably affordable.

-New surrounds. There is a pair of Aerial 7 serving temporarily as the rear surrounds.
I'm leaning towards inwalls. Or just 4 Aerial SR3.

post #27 of 28 Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
very nice.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #28 of 28 Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Sweet home theater...awesome equipment also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version