HT Additions- Windows or No windows? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're about to pull the trigger on an addition (finally!). Addition will include a dedicated HT basement about 18' wide, 24' long, and 10' ceiling. Theater interior will be smaller after equipment room and bathroom at the back.

My question . . . since this will be a dedicated HT, I have no need for windows and theater design would be easier without them. On the other hand, I' a bit nervous about having such a large room with no windows. I worry about the aesthetics and about resale (even though we no plans to ever move).

Perhaps I can frame the window and slider openings so that they can be installed later without much fuss?

Has anyone dealt with this dilemma? What did you do? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
The theater would definately be better off without windows. I understand the point of resale value as I framed around a window rather than removing it. I figured some future owner may want to turn it into a bedroom...

That was before I finshed the room. Now, I think that the theater would be a selling point and can't imagine a future owner remodling it into a bedroom. The only advantage to the window now is that I sometimes open it if the room gets hot.

I wouldn't put any windows in. If you do, shades probably won't be good enough to block the light. You can try a hard cover like the one I used in my theater.

-----------------------------------------
The Lava Lounge Construction Photos
post #3 of 11 Old 02-10-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
I know a guy who made two part doors covering the windows it actually looked good. I guess as far as putting windows in later compared to covering them might be close to a wash as far as cost now or later.

If I planned to say in that home I'd make it without if it's on the side or back of the house as mine is.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 5079
I know another guy who just treated the doors and they are still operational.

Just some wood frames screwed to metal doors, added linacoustic and fabric and then added some more molding hiding the staples and dressing it up a bit.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. I do like the treated doors. That at least creates a more acoustically treatable surface than windows. Plus gives a nice opening to move materials and furniture in and out.

Has anyone actually build a room addition that had no windows? It seems to make sense and I do appreciate the comment that a dedicated HT is becomoing more and more mainstream . . .but it still seems a bit scary.

At the same time, widows are expensive and the money saved not installing windows could buy a 10' wide 2.35:1 Silver Star with change to spare.

Decisions, decisions. . .
post #6 of 11 Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by doatis View Post

Perhaps I can frame the window and slider openings so that they can be installed later without much fuss?

Has anyone dealt with this dilemma? What did you do? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Thats what I would do in your neck of the woods. Plugging a window in the cold climate is tough with all that moisture.

Just do not forget where the headers are.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ripped the 3 existing windows out of my basement and concreted in the holes. You can have mine ;-)

I vote you construct the room the way YOU want.

-Steve
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about what a potential future buyer may or may not want. What is important is what you want and what would be best for you. Sealing a window in your climate could cause condensation issues which would lead to mold and mildew problems.

I would spend the money on something else myself.

Chris

My Build Thread
Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #9 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
closed off living space in the basement with no egress window is a code violation in most places. I'd put one in.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Checking local code is definitely the first step in any planning process. There are many areas in the country that only require egress if there are sleeping quarters in the basement. A rec room or HT would not need egress in those locations.

Chris

My Build Thread
Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #11 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just went through this myself although my addition is not a basement addition. I had planned to only install one window for egress, but after looking at the draft plans for the addition, it was clear that the house would not look aesthetically pleasing from the outside without more windows. My home has a fair number of windows and to essentially build a box on the home without windows just wouldn't look right in my case.

So, I chose to include windows as if I weren't building a theater and do the best I can to cover and isolate them. This seems to defeat the point of having windows, but in my case it provides improved aesthetics from the exterior, which is very important to me.

FWIW, I do tend to worry about whether the windows will rattle, how it will look when they are covered with MDF, etc. Only time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page