How much projector vibration can I expect? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am beginning construction on my theater...but one thing concerns me. I am concerned with the projector vibrating when people walk on the main floor above.

The main floor (basement ceiling) is constructed of a Truss system...I will be mounting my Panny AE1000U onto a 2X12 span I will run from one truss to another. The space above is my Kitchen/Dining area on one side...and a family room on the other.

Does anyone have any experience with this...have you installed your projector in a similar manner? How much vibration can I expect when people walk, or God forbid my kids stomp around upstairs above the mounted projector?

I haven't done a test mount yet...maybe I should do that soon???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 5079
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALKAN View Post

I am beginning construction on my theater...but one thing concerns me. I am concerned with the projector vibrating when people walk on the main floor above.

The main floor (basement ceiling) is constructed of a Truss system...I will be mounting my Panny AE1000U onto a 2X12 span I will run from one truss to another. The space above is my Kitchen/Dining area on one side...and a family room on the other.

Does anyone have any experience with this...have you installed your projector in a similar manner? How much vibration can I expect when people walk, or God forbid my kids stomp around upstairs above the mounted projector?

My projector is hung from 22 ft long engineered joists and sits under a wood floor kitchen. I'm glad there is only the two of us because if the wife is walking around in the kitchen my image noticeably vibrates.

I have a Optoma H79 hanging from a single pole chief mount.

I suggest giving your setup a test. The shorter span should help. I haven't read about any real good solutions to this problem other than to use a back wall or floor mount which will not work for me.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Someone actually posted a solution that helped them a lot but i can't for the life of me remember the name of the thread. Maybe a search and you can find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Can you span the room with 2 other joists that are completely disconnected from the ceiling? I'm saying 2 2x6x12 joists resting on the walls on the sides of your theater but not connected to the joist? you would also need to devise a plan to isolate the projector mount from the drywall on the ceiling.

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #5 of 14 Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just checked my setup after reading this and I think I built a solution.
Between the 2x10's in the ceiling ,where I was mounting the projector, I screwed a 2x6flat between the two to provide a place to mount the projector.
However, before I screwed it in place, I wedged two pieces of grey water pipe foam inbetween the ends of the 2x6.
I also used the same foam between the projector mount and the drywall.

I have nothing scientific to go by ,it was just an idea I had at the time but I will tell you after just stomping on the hardwood floors directly above, there was little if any vibration with the image.
Again ,I was stomping.

Epson 1080p
Carada 96"
BEV 9200 x2
BEV 6000
post #6 of 14 Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM

This concerns me too as I have floor trusses that are 24" OC. I never had a problem with my previous gameroom with the vibrations from above but those were 2x12's. I may explore building a reinforced alcove into the truss cavity and try to reduce any deflection.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

As one of my 6 yr olds would say..."OH SNAP!!"

I thought this might be an issue. The span of the trusses is 23 ft...from the front to back of the room. There is only an 8ft ceiling...so I won't be able to run a "beam" across the room and secure to the side walls...that is a 21 ft span anyway. The room is really going to be more a media style room...not a dedicated theater room...although I am constructing it in a dedicated room mind set...just decorating a bit more than a dedicated room. My compromise with the wife unit...and besides...with four kids...a larger non-dedicated room works much better for us.

So...I was afraid of the vibration/movement issue. If it was just bedrooms upstairs this would be a non-issue. Once the screen wall goes up...I'll jimmy something up between the trusses...and test this out. Thanks all for the replies...I'll search around for that possible solution. I'll post my findings in a few weeks.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Some additional thoughts.

Read up on all the techniques for stiffening a truss floor before you drywall it. These are something you might want to consider.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

OK, found the one solution of additional bridging joists with pictures. The extra joists rest on the side walls with vibration isolation and do not touch the floor above.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=15

This is something I would have attempted if I could have figured out how to span my distance and knew I was going to have this problem in advance. It also may be a contributor to bulb life issues.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Falkan, here is a diagram of what I was talking about. The joist would be between your trusses, not below them.

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #11 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALKAN View Post

Oh my god, I hate it when my kids run around in the first floor. It vibrates my projector so bad. They're having fun and I don't want to hinder their enjoyment. I'm thinking of putting a tall platform that will fit/carry the projector. However, it's going to ruin the look of a real ht room.

Walking, I don't notice anything at all. Running/stomping, I'm a witness and it's going to bring your blood pressure high.

Here is how I mounted it, it became part of the structure which is very bad. The traffic on that floor may kill my projector in 2 years or less

http://restricted.dyndns.org/crtmount/
post #12 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich View Post

Falkan, here is a diagram of what I was talking about. The joist would be between your trusses, not below them.

This is a brilliant idea!!!

I'm assuming that I would get the same performance if I put the 2x4 and 2x6 on top of the metal I-beam since I can't put it the same like on your drawing correct? There will still be vibation but very minimal since the projector is not going to be directly connected to the first floor joist anymore. Am I right?

Here are the 2 i-beams I mentioned about. I can just get a 12' 2x6 and 2x4 and it would fit based from my measurement.

post #13 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

BIGmouthinDC and malovich,

Thank you very much...I wasn't picturing a solution like this...and this makes total sense now. I will have some obstacles (HVAC runs) in the way to run the full distance...front to back or side to side. But I think it can still be done. I am going to scope this out tonight when I get home...thank you...a great idea I couldn't quite picture right...
post #14 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just a FYI, the floating joist solution requires that you punch some holes in the ceiling so that the mount isn't coupled to the ceiling. I'm sure you could stuff a little insulation in the gap (not too tight) but the bottom line is that it will be a weak link in any soundproofing strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page