LG PASSIVE LW6500 dedicated thread... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2494 Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FWIW, Crutchfield is showing both the LG 55LW6500, and if I remember right, also the 55LW9500 on their site (described as having the passive-3D), with "pre-order" status. (With the 55LW5600 of course being already available.) I didn't look at other sizes, though.

My own 55LW5600 is ordered from another vendor, and should show up by early next week. (The BD-670 Blu-ray player that was part of the bundle is showing up separately, supposedly on Saturday.)

As for ghosting with the LG passive 3D, I agree with twdll's and CureMode's comments, above. You definitely get ghosting if there is significant vertical angle (i.e., you are well above or below the perpendicular). So at the BestBuy where I saw the 55LW5600, you had to crouch/squat to get down to roughly eye-level, since the TV was sitting pretty low. I had known that this was a drawback of LG's passive 3D, and as I intend to put my set above a fireplace mantel, it was potentially a big concern for me. I'm going to use a tilt mount, which will make things exactly perpendicular to the main viewing/seating location. But I didn't want it SO sensitive that the angle was going to be critical. My impression at Best Buy was that you could still be 10 degrees or perhaps a bit more above or below the perpendicular, without ghosting becoming an issue. So if anything it was less sensitive to vertical angle than I thought it might be, going in. That said, anyone mounting one of these sets at well above eye-level should plan on using a tilting mount. (On the other hand, the set is very forgiving of side-angle viewing.)

As for the visibility of horizontal lines (in 3D mode), I was able to get about 6 feet away, and for me that was enough to no longer see the lines (which can be easily seen if you are only a few feet away). I have seen other reports where others (with better eyesight than me, perhaps) say that you want to be more like 7-8 feet away. So for people who like to be really close, this may not be the best choice, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2494 Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabk View Post

Retail stores don't know crap about setting up 3D, they have only recently even got close to showing good HD on their sets, so it is probably less conspiracy and more ineptitude. Most active shutter displays aren't even working if you try them out.

Our Best Buy, as of yesterday (April 5), doesn't even have a passive 3D set up. They said, "a week or so." But didn't really seem interested.

Red
post #63 of 2494 Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

The Vizios don't do 2D to 3D.

Why does that cost me an extra $500? Ouch. That is a bummer. I wanna watch/play 3d ALL the time. I'm scared active 3D will blast my head/eyes too much. Back to hunting cheap lg lw5600s I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2494 Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
More like $300 if you wait for the sale on the LG and I imagine the LG has better PQ.
post #65 of 2494 Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

I had been clueless on the fact that passive technology was coming this year. We built out the basement two years ago and I thought I was done with TV buying for a long time, but now with passive 3D I may need to find a reason to replace my living room TV. Is LG going to release any passive models smaller than 47" and does anyone know when? I was blown away by the demo at Best Buy, this is exactly how 3D should have been from the outset. Wide viewing angles, light cheap glasses, and amazing 3d with no flicker. Sign me up, just need to find something in a 42" or smaller. I need to check out the Vizio's as well, because those go down to 32".
post #66 of 2494 Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Has there been any update as to the release timeframe of these models? Or even the 65" 5600 series? Could be awhile for either and I'm itching to upgrade!
post #67 of 2494 Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadcaper View Post

Has there been any update as to the release timeframe of these models? Or even the 65" 5600 series? Could be awhile for either and I'm itching to upgrade!

i was itching, too. picked up the sears display model Sammy c7000 50" w/ 2 demo glasses for $848 tax and all. Guess I'll get passive later on. I'm in!
post #68 of 2494 Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM

The other Passive 3D I have had my eye on is the Toshiba 55TL515U, its available for pre-order for $1699.99 at Abt and some other places. It does 2D-3D conversion, its 240hz, and has actual local dimming. May be a cheaper option to the LG LW6500, I'll wait for some reviews.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #69 of 2494 Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do any of these sets (5600, 6500, the Toshiba with local dimming that was just mentioned) have a matte screen?

Thx.
post #70 of 2494 Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapple View Post

Our Best Buy, as of yesterday (April 5), doesn't even have a passive 3D set up. They said, "a week or so." But didn't really seem interested.

Yea they acted the same way at my Best Buy. They are just mad because here where I live SAMs Club has the new technology and Best Buy doesn't. They are morons anyway. The Vizio I checked out at Sams Club was pretty nice.
post #71 of 2494 Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magi1500 View Post

Do any of these sets (5600, 6500, the Toshiba with local dimming that was just mentioned) have a matte screen?

Thx.

The specs I have seen so far don't specify, but I have a Toshiba 42" LCD and it is a Matte screen. I would not buy a TV (or laptop) with a glossy LCD, I can't stand reflections in the screen.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #72 of 2494 Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Liked: 52
LG's LW6500 passive 3D TVs priced, to ship in 2-5 weeks

http://www.3d-display-info.com/lgs-l...ship-2-5-weeks
post #73 of 2494 Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM

I got my 47 LW5600 last week. Really enjoying the TV. I love the 3D options available with it.

2D->3D conversion as well as the options to play 3D videos that are displayed on side by side, interpolated etc... this is a big plus as it allows 3D from other sources to play well.

The 3D depth is as good as the active shutter TVs I saw with the big plus that I don't have to remember to charge batteries or spend a fortune when the lenses gets scratched.

I personally feel the passive glasses much easier on my vision and allows me to watch a full movie in 3D without headaches however, playing Killzone 3 on my ps3 is another story, fantastic 3D but due to the high amount of motion I can't play it in 3D for an extended period of time (45min top).

The applications are really nice and my favorite features and apps are:
Netflix
VEVO (got 3D rental now)
DLNA (UPNP)
USB HDD connection.

Regarding the USB connection I have tried many different type of formats and while it can play pretty much everything including MKV, the audio codecs are limited and it won't play DTS or Dolby TrueHD.

I got 2 3D movies in MKV format and one I converted the audio from DTS to AAC and it played great.

The TV has also a Digital (fiber) audio output. I tested and it worked fine but I don't think it is passthrough and when I tried playing the MKV with DTS audio and had the audio output connected to my receiver it didn't work.

By the way, if anyone has been able to manage playing MKV with DTS or Dolby TrueHD audio on the TV player please let me know what you did. I'm very interested in finding out.

Hope my short review helps people on their decision. If you have any questions I can try to answer.
post #74 of 2494 Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapple View Post

Had to go back to B.B. yesterday (April 8). Surprise, surprise. At the other end of the store was a passive LG 55" 3D. A new arrival; or did the first salesmen not know what I was taking about.

Anyway, I was really impressed. Picture sharp and bright from all angles. Space restrictions make 65" too big. Hopefully, there will be a 60" soon.

Red
post #75 of 2494 Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post

FWIW, Crutchfield is showing both the LG 55LW6500, and if I remember right, also the 55LW9500 on their site (described as having the passive-3D), with "pre-order" status. (With the 55LW5600 of course being already available.) I didn't look at other sizes, though.

My own 55LW5600 is ordered from another vendor, and should show up by early next week. (The BD-670 Blu-ray player that was part of the bundle is showing up separately, supposedly on Saturday.)

As for ghosting with the LG passive 3D, I agree with twdll's and CureMode's comments, above. You definitely get ghosting if there is significant vertical angle (i.e., you are well above or below the perpendicular). So at the BestBuy where I saw the 55LW5600, you had to crouch/squat to get down to roughly eye-level, since the TV was sitting pretty low. I had known that this was a drawback of LG's passive 3D, and as I intend to put my set above a fireplace mantel, it was potentially a big concern for me. I'm going to use a tilt mount, which will make things exactly perpendicular to the main viewing/seating location. But I didn't want it SO sensitive that the angle was going to be critical. My impression at Best Buy was that you could still be 10 degrees or perhaps a bit more above or below the perpendicular, without ghosting becoming an issue. So if anything it was less sensitive to vertical angle than I thought it might be, going in. That said, anyone mounting one of these sets at well above eye-level should plan on using a tilting mount. (On the other hand, the set is very forgiving of side-angle viewing.)

As for the visibility of horizontal lines (in 3D mode), I was able to get about 6 feet away, and for me that was enough to no longer see the lines (which can be easily seen if you are only a few feet away). I have seen other reports where others (with better eyesight than me, perhaps) say that you want to be more like 7-8 feet away. So for people who like to be really close, this may not be the best choice, either.

Saw this set yesterday at BB. Viewing at the correct angle as commented above I did not notice any ghosting or horizontal line at a distance of only 4' IN THE 3d MODE. HOWEVER I WAS ONLY CONCENTRATING ON THE HATED "GHOSTING" ISSUE.

It's much brighter than my Panasonic GT25 Plasma and may consider selling my Panny Plasma now for this set.
post #76 of 2494 Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 View Post

how is 3d in half resolution? I hear there are noticeable scan lines with this set. Thanks.

I reviewed this set yesterday at BB and I would not say that it was NOT half the resolution and I was watching it at only 4' from the screen; couldn't back up any further. I didn't notice any ghosting providing and since I was viewing at the correct height and I was definitely looking for it.

I would say that the overall resolution was somewhat softer than my Panasonic GT25 plasma but the picture was much brighter.

I don't think the 240 HZ would make a difference as far as 3D is concerned because I have had 240 hz 3d sets in my home and it made no difference as far as the 3d picture was concerned. I am only interested in the 3D picture.
post #77 of 2494 Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AFAIK the Passive 3D TVs polarize the display content for the left eye in one direction and the display content for the right eye in the other direction. Since each lens in the passive receives content polarized in one direction the glasses display 1920x580 per eye at 60fps. Current generation active shutter glasses LCD/LED or Plasma 3D TVs display at 120 frames per second and display full 1080p(1920x1080) per eye at 60fps. Because each eye in the passive models never sees more then a 1920x580 image many consider the passive displays to be 1/2 R displays. Others claim that they are in fact full resoluton displays since the human mind integrates the left eye and right eye 1/2 frame images to a full frame just like a interlaced CRT TV does when displaying 480i or 1080i content.
post #78 of 2494 Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frviana View Post

I got my 47 LW5600 last week. Really enjoying the TV. I love the 3D options available with it.

2D->3D conversion as well as the options to play 3D videos that are displayed on side by side, interpolated etc... this is a big plus as it allows 3D from other sources to play well.

The 3D depth is as good as the active shutter TVs I saw with the big plus that I don't have to remember to charge batteries or spend a fortune when the lenses gets scratched.

I personally feel the passive glasses much easier on my vision and allows me to watch a full movie in 3D without headaches however, playing Killzone 3 on my ps3 is another story, fantastic 3D but due to the high amount of motion I can't play it in 3D for an extended period of time (45min top).

The applications are really nice and my favorite features and apps are:
Netflix
VEVO (got 3D rental now)
DLNA (UPNP)
USB HDD connection.

Regarding the USB connection I have tried many different type of formats and while it can play pretty much everything including MKV, the audio codecs are limited and it won't play DTS or Dolby TrueHD.

I got 2 3D movies in MKV format and one I converted the audio from DTS to AAC and it played great.

The TV has also a Digital (fiber) audio output. I tested and it worked fine but I don't think it is passthrough and when I tried playing the MKV with DTS audio and had the audio output connected to my receiver it didn't work.

By the way, if anyone has been able to manage playing MKV with DTS or Dolby TrueHD audio on the TV player please let me know what you did. I'm very interested in finding out.

Hope my short review helps people on their decision. If you have any questions I can try to answer.

Are you watching 3d content at eye level? I am trying to decide which is the right 3d tv to buy, but I have to take into consideration that my tv will be sitting over my fireplace, which is approximately 5 feet above the floor. I can't tilt it since I will be using the tv stand, so wall mounting isn't an option. Viewing distance is about 10 feet away from the main couch, which is directly across from tv. But I do have two smaller couches to the left and right of the tv, which is where angled viewing comes into play. I just don't want to see any extra lines or ghosting that will make the 3d experience unfavorable. Will this be a problem with viewing 3d content? I thought this was one of the reason's for Passive 3d?
post #79 of 2494 Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 PM

If you are non-trivially above or below the plane of the TV, then you may well experience ghosting. For an above-fireplace location, I think you'll really want to look into a tilting mount, even though it's more complicated than just having the TV sit on its stand on top of the mantle...

Even if it means setting a few anchors into a brick wall, it will be worth it.

If this is a total impossibility, then you may want to estimate the angle that you will be viewing from (number of degrees below the horizontal), and try to demo the TV with a similar angle. In my living room, I used a laser-level with degree markings, to determine that my normal seating position was 12-13 degrees below horizontal (for my TV being above the fireplace). Since most tilt-mounts provide up to 15 degrees of downward tilt, this will work out fine.
post #80 of 2494 Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM

A saw one report where a user could not even get a tilted passive model to work over a fireplace unless the watcher's heads were also tilted back so that the screen and the glasses were totally parallel to each other.
post #81 of 2494 Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM

How about active shutter 3d? Does this make a difference with angled viewing?
post #82 of 2494 Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

Saw this set yesterday at BB. Viewing at the correct angle as commented above I did not notice any ghosting or horizontal line at a distance of only 4' IN THE 3d MODE. HOWEVER I WAS ONLY CONCENTRATING ON THE HATED "GHOSTING" ISSUE.

For me the lines were immediately noticeable at 4'. Which was about where Bestbuy had the glasses stand sitting. When I moved just a couple feet back the lines were much less noticeable.
But for reference the individual pixels on my 26" 1080p computer monitor(~2' away) are kind of noticeable to me.
post #83 of 2494 Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

A saw one report where a user could not even get a tilted passive model to work over a fireplace unless the watcher's heads were also tilted back so that the screen and the glasses were totally parallel to each other.

Not sure what to make of that - when I was demoing the LG 55LW5600 at Best Buy, I didn't notice any sensitivity to the vertical angle of my head. (I.e., no need to try and keep the front surface of the glasses parallel to the TV screen). The reason that you can't be too far above or below the screen perpendicular is that the polarizer film on the screen has alternating rows of clockwise and CCW circular polarizations, and these have to be lined up with the alternating rows of the image. But in the glasses, each lens is uniformly coated with it's polarization type. So I don't see why the vertical angle of the glasses would be important.

One thing I did try was cocking my head to the side. LG makes a point in their advertising that with the passive technology you don't have to sit upright, and can lay on the sofa, etc. And it is true that the 3D effect is not diminished with moderate amounts of tilting your head to left or right. However, the 3D content is created with an assumed horizontal orientation of your eyes. So regardless of 3D technology, you still have to have a reasonable amount of horizontal separation between your two eyes for the 3D effect to work. (In other words, the glasses will pass the screen image even if they are at right angles to the normal viewing position, but the 3D effect will still go away.)

Active glasses have a separate issue - the LCD shutters in each lens only pass one polarization of light, that must be aligned with the polarization passed by the LCD screen of the TV. So if you hold the active glasses at right angles, you don't see anything. (Just like what happens if you hold one set of polarized sunglasses in front of another set, with the two sets of glasses at 90 degrees from each other.) And non-trivial amounts of tilt will cause some degree of darkening.

My wife called me this morning to say that our 55LW5600 set was just delivered. So I'll have more time to play with it over the next few days....
post #84 of 2494 Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

It's much brighter than my Panasonic GT25 Plasma and may consider selling my Panny Plasma now for this set.

I tried this set out at BB also. The ghosting if you are off center axis is pretty terrible as it effects the entire image and is really apparent. Of course the TV is set-up so that you have to crouch to be face on with the TV so most peoples impressions will be pretty bad as standing at normal height gave really bad ghosting for me. I didn't perceive a lower resolution, but without a side by side comparison it is hard to tell, however I did see interlacing artifacts on straight edges and some weird 'disjointed' artifacts with fast motion viewing from about 4'.
On axis I did notice some slight ghosting in high contrast areas, specifically the mouth of the fish which was from one of the IMAX 'sea' documentaries but only because I was looking for it. My guess at home you would dial down the brightness/backlight and this wouldn't be apparent.
Overall it was a nice TV, I have a UN46C7000 and it was pretty comparable other than the off axis ghosting and interlaced artifacts and it seems to have less 'standard' ghosting that the Samsung but without the same content with similar settings it is pretty hard to tell. They were giving away glasses for free at BB - the cheap glasses obviously being the major advantage of the TV.
post #85 of 2494 Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post

Not sure what to make of that - when I was demoing the LG 55LW5600 at Best Buy, I didn't notice any sensitivity to the vertical angle of my head. (I.e., no need to try and keep the front surface of the glasses parallel to the TV screen). The reason that you can't be too far above or below the screen perpendicular is that the polarizer film on the screen has alternating rows of clockwise and CCW circular polarizations, and these have to be lined up with the alternating rows of the image. But in the glasses, each lens is uniformly coated with it's polarization type. So I don't see why the vertical angle of the glasses would be important.

One thing I did try was cocking my head to the side. LG makes a point in their advertising that with the passive technology you don't have to sit upright, and can lay on the sofa, etc. And it is true that the 3D effect is not diminished with moderate amounts of tilting your head to left or right. However, the 3D content is created with an assumed horizontal orientation of your eyes. So regardless of 3D technology, you still have to have a reasonable amount of horizontal separation between your two eyes for the 3D effect to work. (In other words, the glasses will pass the screen image even if they are at right angles to the normal viewing position, but the 3D effect will still go away.)

Active glasses have a separate issue - the LCD shutters in each lens only pass one polarization of light, that must be aligned with the polarization passed by the LCD screen of the TV. So if you hold the active glasses at right angles, you don't see anything. (Just like what happens if you hold one set of polarized sunglasses in front of another set, with the two sets of glasses at 90 degrees from each other.) And non-trivial amounts of tilt will cause some degree of darkening.

My wife called me this morning to say that our 55LW5600 set was just delivered. So I'll have more time to play with it over the next few days....

Great post. Apparently the post I saw was wrong and the reason for it being wrong you have described.
post #86 of 2494 Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone notice that the LG site has removed everything related to these new models? Not even model number search on the site gives you info, it acts like they don't exist. You think its maintence to the site or is LG pulling out of this?

-Sean
post #87 of 2494 Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 PM

No, I haven't noticed that. I search for 55LW6500 and I get info on it.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-55LW6500.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Anyone notice that the LG site has removed everything related to these new models? Not even model number search on the site gives you info, it acts like they don't exist. You think its maintence to the site or is LG pulling out of this?

-Sean

post #88 of 2494 Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Guy View Post
No, I haven't noticed that. I search for 55LW6500 and I get info on it.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-55LW6500.jsp
Odd, I am able to see info from the link you provided but get nothing when I search the site with model numbers. And I am unable to get anything from a link from a google search.

-Sean
post #89 of 2494 Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 AM

I am interested in the 65" any word on when it will be available or the price. I checked out the vizio 65" passive at sam's- it was nice, but I want to find out how it compares to lg. I like the idea of passive 3d.
post #90 of 2494 Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks like LG finally updated the US site with the LW6500's. So I guess that means they are finally shipping? Excellent......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page