Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Coming Q1 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jedi2016
  • 1 Post By SnipeUout

post #1 of 25 Old 08-27-2015, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Coming Q1 2016

I think the Oculus Rift deserves its own thread. I think it will be a game changer and plan to be first in line when the consumer version becomes available. It has a display for each eye that has 1080x1200 each at 90 Hz. This is a virtual reality headset that fills your field of vision with 3D images, detects your movement with head tracking and from everything I have seen makes people feel like they are "there".

In the case of watching movies, they simulate a movie theater and you get to walk around, choose your seat and look around while you are sitting in the theater. If you want to get more resolution out of the movie, you can sit closer and look around at the huge screen in front of you. It works with 2D and 3D movies in the virtual theater.

Also they have virtual reality movies coming out for it where you are standing inside the movie and can move and look around as the movie is happening around you. This will be amazing.

Also the sound is totally immersive because it uses headphones and head tracking, so sounds can be placed anywhere and as you rotate your head around, the sound moves accordingly in the headphones. You could theoretically simulate a Dolby Atmos setup with as many speakers as you want and virtually get up and go listen to any of the speakers.

Of course games will be amazing too. Imagine sitting in a cockpit and looking around as you are driving a car or flying a plane or spacecraft. Check out the Doom 4 footage and imagine it in virtual reality where it felt like you were actually there among all of the monsters attacking you while you are trying to blow them all away. You could hear them coming at you from all directions and they visually look like they were there all around you.

The virtual reality options are limitless. You could visit and walk around Paris. I watched a video of a guy who hooked up a 3D camera to a drone and flew it around. With the Oculus Rift on, it would feel like you were riding around on the drone. There is an Apollo 11 simulator that puts you in space and on the moon. There is a Jerry Seinfeld apartment you can walk around in. There are programs that will let you run many existing 3D games with the Oculus Rift and put you IN the game instead of watching it on your monitor.

Amazing stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I plan to buy a VR headset sometime later in 2016, I'll pass the launch date, i'll get mine later once more games are released.
The Oculus rift is a game changer in the VR world because it's the first high quality VR headset at a consumer affordable price. And it seems to have raised a lot of interest from game developers and video creators to experiment with new concepts.

The "virtual theater" compatibility thing is not amazing, it's actually the worst use of a VR headset possible.
Since the actual screen only covers a small portion of your field of view, the picture quality will be inferior to a regular 1080p TV, I have no idea why anyone would want to move to the worst seat in the theater when you are in the best seat at home, and for the social aspect of being in a theater, it's supposed to be dark if you look over your shoulder at your friends you'll see a disembodied avatar that has nothing to do with what your friends look like, what they are doing, and you can't even kiss the girlfriend.
You'd be much better off watching your movie on your TV, if you want to hear people laugh in funny moments, many sitcoms already include the recorded laughs of real audiences, and if you want to be with distant friends while watching a movie : skype is just as good.

For the sound : just try a stereo headphone on your computer or console games and you already get the improvement right now. My feeling is that stereo headphones with a proper binaural audio treatment (audio setting to "headphone mode", NOT the virtual surround crap) provide better surround positioning than any multi-speaker system I have ever used.
I also often prefer headphones when watching movies unless I am watching the movie with family or friends, because my living room will never allow any multi-speaker to shine as well as the clear audio from headphones.

I'll be much more interested by the original content and experiences only possible in VR.
The biggest point for me will be the increased situational awareness of having a much wider field of view without distortion and without they typical squeezing the main zone of focus of the game (which is straight ahead) into such a small area of the screen you get when just using higher FOV settings in games.
It will also be great for 3rd person 3D platforming and exploration games that encourage movement in all 3 dimensions. I'd love to see a VR Mario game or a VR Tomb Raider game actually exploring tombs and caves and tight spaces (not the current action killing machine thing that have become the new Tomb Raider games). Typically, games that require you to constantly turn your head and look around to plan and find your route.

An other great use will be for racing and flight simulators. VR is a very cheap and easier alternative to transforming your desk into physical cockpits with massive multi-screens to provide the surround effect. It will never beat the experience of an actual physical simulated cockpit with physical buttons and knobs but then... there is the money aspect, the space, and most importantly the WAF !
VR will however have the drawback of requiring a "hands always on the controller" redesign of the games inputs since using the keyboard is no option.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 08-28-2015 at 08:35 AM.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for your reply and feedback. I don't think the virtual theater will be amazing, but from a conceptual standpoint, it seems pretty neat. I don't think it would become my preferred method to watch movies. Currently I don't have the ability to watch 3D movies and I am looking forward to trying it in the Rift in the virtual theater having the 3D pop out of the 2D screen in a simulated environment. What I said would be amazing is the VR movies you will be standing in such as this one: http://mashable.com/2015/06/03/oculu...erience-henry/

Good suggestion on the headphones. It's rare that I use them, but when I do it does sound pretty good. Having the cord and the cans on my head is the part I don't like because I can't lay down on my side, etc. (same as what will happen with the Rift but much worse). The only issue with regular headphones is if you turn your head, the sound doesn't track accordingly. If they made head tracking headphones (like in the Rift), it would take it to another level of realism. So from the visual side, the Rift is most likely inferior for watching movies, but possibly not from the audio side.

Exploration games will be amazing too because everything will feel real (at least that is how it seems watching other people experience the Rift). As far as content, you can use VorpX to play existing 3D games, so there is no need to wait for more content. It won't be always perfect but it unlocks a huge door. I still plan to use the keyboard and mouse to control some games such as first person shooters. The bumps on the F and J allow you to find your place with your hands on the keyboard. Although thinking about it, they will probably make a gun controller that you can hold and use and allow you to spin around and aim at stuff virtually, or the new Oculus Touch controllers might work well for that. It's exciting to think about what people might come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-28-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
There will be more VR headsets than just the Rift and some of them may be better depending on the application for which you're using it. Last April I was in Tokyo and was given a short demo at the Sony building of VR. It was of a rock concert filmed with a 360 degree camera -- pretty amazing experience (with head tracking) and gave me a taste of what's coming -- I can't wait.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post
Currently I don't have the ability to watch 3D movies and I am looking forward to trying it in the Rift in the virtual theater having the 3D pop out of the 2D screen in a simulated environment. What I said would be amazing is the VR movies you will be standing in such as this one: http://mashable.com/2015/06/03/oculu...erience-henry/

I still plan to use the keyboard and mouse to control some games such as first person shooters. The bumps on the F and J allow you to find your place with your hands on the keyboard. Although thinking about it, they will probably make a gun controller that you can hold and use and allow you to spin around and aim at stuff virtually, or the new Oculus Touch controllers might work well for that.
Stereoscopic 3D movies very rarely pop out of the screen. They usually feel like in depth behind the screen (even for the objects that are technically displayed in front of the screen), and when stuff comes close to the screen, you'll feel the volume of objects and characters..
The only times stuff seems to fly into the theater are when the the movie pokes in your eye on purpose. But these moments are very rare and feel really awkward : it's more of an amusement ride thing than a movie thing.

I have seen many people saying "it feels real" for many things (Stereo3D, Stereo HFR, 4K etc...). Actually, just like with the previous technologies before it, you can remove the "real" word : it just "feels". Compared to "does not feel" with conventional displays. The realism thing is overrated.

For controls : I have tried to use a keyboard and a mouse blind when using my projector in the dark. It kind of works as long as you keep your fingers on the ASQD keys, but try to reach anything beyond that and your accuracy falls dramatically. I played some Skyrim and some GuildWars 2 in the dark and I was constantly searching for my keys, even the very close F1 F2 F3 F4 keys were hard to reach, and don't even try to reach the right UIOP side of the keyboard with the left hard.
It was horrible. I felt like if I didn't know how to use a keyboard.

We don't realize it but even when we play on a desktop or a laptop, our hands still remain in our peripheral vision and we do use the cues and quickly blink at our hands more than we think.
I quickly hacked an illumination system for my keyboard with a small LED desk lamp and regained comfort and accuracy immediately.
In the end I bought a Logitech K800 wireless back-illuminated keyboard and it solved my issues (great keyboard with a rechargeable battery, but has to be recharged very often).

Because of this experience, I know that keyboards don't work well with VR headsets.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 08-29-2015 at 03:29 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Very good points guys!

As far as the other technologies coming out, I think the Sony Morpheus stuff is cool for console owners, but I have no plans to upgrade my PS3. Now that the PS4 and Xbox are PC's essentially, almost every game is also available on the PC except exclusive titles. I don't play that many games so I can live with that. The HTC Vive is of course very interesting too. It's just less well known so I am worried it won't take off like the Rift. I am open to whichever is best and most supported. I have a gut feeling that the Rift will be fully supported on the Xbox eventually. I don't think that will happen with the Vive.

I have a projector and game in that environment too. I totally get what you are saying. It's bad enough to try to see things with very little light, but to be completely closed off would be nearly impossible. So, Xbox controller or Oculus touch controllers will be the way to go. I am hopeful that the Oculus controllers will give the fine control I am used to with the mouse and keyboard. I hate using game pads unless it is a Mario game, space flying game, or an arcade game. When fine analog controls are needed, I can't stand using gamepads. They are too slow and finicky, especially in first person shooters which I am not a huge fan of anymore, but got stoked when I saw the Doom 4 footage in the 20 minute video on Youtube. They renamed it Doom and I am glad they did because it reminds me so much of the original and what made it special. I read that they don't plan to support the Oculus because there was a rift between them and John Carmack over supporting VR. See what I did there? Hopefully they end up supporting it or someone makes it work. I am sure it will in the end.

Regarding the 3D, the content totally determines what the 3D does and most of the time you are right. Regardless, I have seen comments from people that have tried the Rift with 3D movies and they said the 3D effect was the best they had ever seen for 3D movies despite the drop in resolution. I don't plan to watch tons of 3D movies but I am excited to see what it is like anyway.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-30-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
I think we're in the lull before the storm. Most haven't had any hands on experience with VR and so don't have a clue just how revolutionary it is going to be (at least from the little bit I experienced). I'm a bit surprised that on a forum such as this that most members aren't anticipating something game changing -- for games, education, movies and on and on. Something DOA like 4K BD (physical media) gets lots of press but little to nothing about VR.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in early 2016.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
I have seen many people saying "it feels real" for many things (Stereo3D, Stereo HFR, 4K etc...). Actually, just like with the previous technologies before it, you can remove the "real" word : it just "feels". Compared to "does not feel" with conventional displays. The realism thing is overrated.
People are dropping controllers on the floor when they think they're setting them down on a virtual desk; feeling vertigo in virtual high altitudes; chickening out during horror demos; losing their balance in a roller coaster demo.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-31-2015, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice article on a user's experience:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/08...nology/164883/

And I think this one shows it all:
https://www.inverse.com/article/5583...apollo-11-game

I bet this will only be the beginning. As technology progresses and demand grows, there will be newer more capable versions of the VR equipment like there are new video cards and CPU's. Eventually there will be enough resolution and frame rate that it will look just like your own eyesight.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can't wait!

I've been having fun with my Samsung Gear VR unit. Great experience, but it taxes the phone, which tends to overheat. The quality is darn good, but the upcoming Oculus is said to be far better.

I best start saving now!
post #11 of 25 Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Honestly, if there's going to be discussion on the topic, we should really create a dedicated forum in another section somewhere. VR is not 3D, it's something else entirely. Those that have been inside know what I'm talking about. Less than sixty seconds inside the DK2's demo scene, and I had already reached out to touch something. Has nothing to do with what it "feels" like, it's completely fooling your brain into thinking those objects are really there. The only way you know it's not is because your logical mind tells you it isn't.. but your eyes are flat-out telling you it is. No 3D, no matter how good, can do that. VR is the real deal, no mistake.

I'm very interested to see what people have planned for it. Right now all I'm hearing about are games, but I think gaming will be just a small little niche of VR in the end. I want to see experiences where I can go places I can never go in real life. Someone was talking last year about sending a VR camera to the moon. Can you imagine? "NFL Virtual Ticket", 50-yard-line seats to the Superbowl. I post that one everywhere because I actually want the NFL to do it.. lol. Ride along on the surface of Europa. Go inside the pyramids, as they are now, and as they were. Visit the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Tour the Louvre without the crowds. Sit in the Iron Throne of Westeros. Visit Bag End, and stand atop Orthanc. All the things that are, were,are going to be. Things that never were and can never be. The possibilities are endless.

The biggest problem they've going to have is adoption. Getting people to buy into it. Make it mainstream, and all these things will come to pass. Keep it a "gimmick" or some expensive toy for techies and everything in the last paragraph will remain a fantasy.
Deja Vu and suavecito_md like this.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post
The biggest problem they've going to have is adoption. Getting people to buy into it. Make it mainstream, and all these things will come to pass. Keep it a "gimmick" or some expensive toy for techies and everything in the last paragraph will remain a fantasy.
I'm looking forward to seeing what VR brings to the table but making it accessible to mainstream audiences will be a big challenge. It seems every time a new technology is introduced an army of naysayers stand at the ready to ridicule it before it is even released. People balked at having to wear relatively unobtrusive 3D glasses, whining about how dorky they looked and how it killed the social experience of watching TV or movies. I shudder to think what they'll say when they realize they need to wear a full headset.

Having dabbled with Google Cardboard just to see if I could physically even tolerate a very simplified form of VR, I've also realized that I can only take that level of immersion for relatively short periods. I think the experiences will need to be tailored to take the increased toll on the senses into account.

I also think content will need to be carefully planned and thought out. Again, from my mucking around with Cardboard, I found I enjoyed relatively passive experiences where I only needed to "look around" as it were; they were far more fun and comfortable than full on apps that required me to use controllers or be more involved. I've gone from planning to focus on VR games to being more interested in VR trips to places I could not easily visit in person, whether it be the Moon, the Colisseum, the Eiffel Tower or the rings of Saturn.

I really doubt Oculus will be a significant player for a while; the daunting hardware requirements and need to have a level of PC saavy puts it out of the reach of many potential customers. Something like Morpheus, which looks to be far more of a plug and play experience, would seem to me to be more commercially viable assuming it is reasonably priced.

Speaking of price, that will also be a major factor to adoption. Hopefully the people banking on VR learn from the mistakes made with the rollout of 3D TV and remember to provide actual content and not gouge the customer with unrealistic price tags.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of computer power, I haven't had the chance to try out any 360° VR videos, not even sure where to find them (I've been out of the loop for a while now, I think my DK2 is a few firmware versions behind). I imagine those will work a lot better on a much wider range of hardware since it's not actually having to render everything from scratch like in so many of the current experiences.

post #14 of 25 Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I'm so excited about this! Gaming is going to be AMAZING! I have a friend working in this field and he is optimistic but says it's going slowly. Of course the real money in this will be in virtual porn.

The other thing I'm concerned about is addiction. You think we have an obesity problem in the U.S. now?! Just WAIT until this thing become ubiquitous. There will be a whole segment of the population that never leave their Lazy-Boy recliner.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.

Last edited by DeadEd; 09-07-2015 at 10:15 PM.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 299
My 2 cents? I have the devkit and its pretty sweet. The res is too low and you get some sickness, but it really is something else being able to move your head around in the ways you can with it. Being able to look to your sides as you move in a straight line.
It truly isn't like a monitoring so many aspects. Yeah the depth perception isn't quite like the real world but its *SO* much better than any VR that has come along until now. For certain applications it will be fantastic, IMHO.

Once we get around to 4k per eye that is when it will really start to hit prime time I think. The key will be very consistently high frame rates. We may have to have graphically simpler applications for a while before we can stay above a solid 90FPS/eye, but in the end it will be worth it.

It won't be good for everything, especially pre-existing games, but for the next gen of games it will be awesome. (Fight sims, racing, RTS where there is hand tracking and virtual hand integration, Some FPS's, etc).

I do see a problem around sickness tho, there are certain type of movements in current FPS's that will make you sick almost instantly as there is no physical feed back with your body movements. My buddy and I were standing up with the headset and letting the other person move them around, each of us almost got the other to just fall over from standing there simply because your body almost *needs* to react to certain movement types. Its like your hardwired to do it to prevent you from falling when you arent even moving.

I really hope they can make VR work well this time around.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-10-2015, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I love seeing things like this: http://qz.com/490775/the-la-philharm...-joy-of-music/
It drives home the point I was making above about the audio part of the Oculus Rift. It would be very cool to be able to walk around the stage of a performing orchestra and hear what it sounds like from anywhere you want to be.

theblackangus: I am surprised that you said pre-existing games won't be good in the rift. From what I have seen, many seem to work well such as Skyrim and the rollercoaster game:
This guy is hilarious.
post #17 of 25 Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
I love seeing things like this: http://qz.com/490775/the-la-philharm...-joy-of-music/
It drives home the point I was making above about the audio part of the Oculus Rift. It would be very cool to be able to walk around the stage of a performing orchestra and hear what it sounds like from anywhere you want to be.

theblackangus: I am surprised that you said pre-existing games won't be good in the rift. From what I have seen, many seem to work well such as Skyrim and the rollercoaster game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrhaLb6UeQ This guy is hilarious.
It's not that they don't work, it's more that they present situations that can easily make you sick. I was really meaning that games designed around VR will provide a better experience with less side-effects. I hope that makes sense.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is one of those "you have to experience it" things... once you've been inside and really seen, and more importantly, felt it, then you'll understand right away why people say that most modern games and even entire genres just won't work with VR.

post #19 of 25 Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

http://blogs.nasa.gov/pluto/2015/09/...o-aerial-tour/
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/pluto-wo...cklit-panorama

Someone must make a VR app for Pluto with all of the images available. I would love to sit in a VR spaceship in orbit around Pluto and possibly even land on it with all of the high resolution images and topography information that are still coming.

theblackangus and Jedi2016: yes that totally makes sense. There are probably sites that quantify which existing games work well and do not work well in VR, or there soon will be.

Last edited by thorr; 09-19-2015 at 03:32 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like you can wear the Oculus Rift while riding a motorcycle. Cool! The immersion possibilities are endless. Play a virtual motorcycle game while driving down the highway!
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam...-large-169.jpg
post #21 of 25 Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I recently got the Gear VR and a Note 5. Very excited for CV1 and the VIVE...I have to say that while there are plenty of imperfections with the gear it is quite amazing at $99. Anyone else here tried it yet?
post #22 of 25 Old 01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
#preordered
jackodagreat likes this.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #23 of 25 Old 01-14-2016, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklow View Post
I recently got the Gear VR and a Note 5. Very excited for CV1 and the VIVE...I have to say that while there are plenty of imperfections with the gear it is quite amazing at $99. Anyone else here tried it yet?
Yes, I have the Gear VR and S6 Edge+ and I love it! Dreadhalls creeps me out in the worst/best way. I actually get goosebumps! I also like Oculus Cinema. Watching movies in the virtual theater is really cool. The screen looks huge!
post #24 of 25 Old 01-14-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
Me too...Feb 29th for the VIVE...
Quote:
Yes, I have the Gear VR and S6 Edge+ and I love it! Dreadhalls creeps me out in the worst/best way. I actually get goosebumps! I also like Oculus Cinema. Watching movies in the virtual theater is really cool. The screen looks huge!
Yea its a blast, fantastic gadget for $99...
post #25 of 25 Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Wow, still no user reviews???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page