• 1 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By MMoser

post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Comparison of 3D Glasses

Hi - I have gathered some feedback from the forums to help me pick the best 3D glasses for my projector:

- Optoma BG-ZD301 - quality video/contrast ratio and consistent sync, very expensive
- Estar America ESG601 - comfortable, quality video/contrast ratio and consistent sync, glare from glass, expensive
- Monoprice DLP Link - quality video and consistent sync, expensive
- SainSonic Rainbow - picture quality inferior, color tint and sync issue, uncomfortable to wear: flimsy, bend, tilt on face, affordable
- Sainsonic 144Hz Ultra-Clear - feedback: white flicker issue / bleeds reds
- SainSonic Zebra ZB-10 DLP 3D
- Sainsonic SSZ-200DLB - feedback: cheapest
- 3DTV DLP Link - picture quality inferior, color tint and sync issue, affordable
- True Depth 3D Firestorm - inferior picture quality/ghosting, color tint & sync issue, affordable - XL preferred to Estar
- Okeba Ultralight - affordable
- Xpand X102 - proprietary batteries, comfortable (not 100% confirmed)
- Xpand EDUX DLP Link (DLPR and DLP2) - same as X102 except they use regular batteries
- Signstek (also Eyoyo) GX-30 - affordable, w/setting fiddling worked well w/another projector
- Viewsonic PGD-150 - note: no longer made - quality video and consistent sync, blinders to keep light out, sync switch, heavy
- 3ACTIVE 3D - consistent sync, rechargeable, nice build, extremely comfortable, some crosstalk/color shift when viewing @ angle
- HISHOCK VA-YDD3GP - same as 3DTV DLP Link, superior contrast, sync issue
- Sintron 3D active shutter glasses - on ebay, bluish tint, no side blinders: uncomfortable viewing, fast movement scenes not smooth
- A1114 3D3 DLP Universal 3D Glasses - ebay, good reviews on another forum & (subjective) their site
- G5 Universal 3D - subpar, user wanted to upgrade theirs
- BenQ DLP Link - consistent sync, well made, no color-shift/crosstalk, huge/bulky, non-rechargeable, uncomfortable earpiece, audible humming noise

I have the H5380BD - thanks in advance for your insights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-25-2018, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Unfortunately I don't have answers eithers and I'm somewhat confused that there doesn't seem to be a concise thread addressing 3D glasses compatibility, the different systems (their pros and cons) etc.

As for me its pretty much clear that I'll keep my reliable Optoma HD 83(00) for 3D front projection, especially now that my kids have reached an age, where they are able to enjoy 3D and FROZEN (especially for my daughter) was quite an experience - but it was bothering that the Optoma / Bit Cauldron glasses were too large for them and the soft plastic nose pieces came permanently off.

Looking for alternatives I basically found nothing (looks as if the only feasible upgrade will be a pair of Optoma ZF2300 glasses for my kids, also these seem to be among the few that support 144 Hz), as apparently few to none 3rd party glasses will work with Optoma's / Bit Cauldron's BC100(B) RF emitter.

Trying to update my knowledge, it looks as if most 3D flat screens rely on infrared (IR) transmission, and rather to my surprise DLP-Link glasses are still available (ignoring these on behalf of RF glasses was quite a no-brainer back in 2011!).

Looking at the German HiFi Forum message board, I was frankly amazed by the amount of confusion and what looks like an ignorance regarding the superior performance of RF glasses.
I'm pretty certain that this amount of confusion (there are more things the average consumer can do wrong than right) has not been exactly a supporting factor on behalf of 3D.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have answers either and I'm somewhat confused that there doesn't seem to be a concise thread addressing 3D glasses compatibility, the different systems (their pros and cons) etc.

As for me its pretty much clear that I'll keep my reliable Optoma HD 83(00) for 3D front projection, especially now that my kids have reached an age, where they are able to enjoy 3D and FROZEN (especially for my daughter) was quite an experience - but it was bothering that the Optoma / Bit Cauldron glasses were too large for them and the soft plastic nose pieces came permanently off.

Looking for alternatives I basically found nothing (looks as if the only feasible upgrade will be a pair of Optoma ZF2300 glasses for my kids, also these seem to be among the few that support 144 Hz), as apparently few to none 3rd party glasses will work with Optoma's / Bit Cauldron's BC100(B) RF emitter.

Trying to update my knowledge, it looks as if most 3D flat screens rely on infrared (IR) transmission, and rather to my surprise DLP-Link glasses are still available (ignoring these on behalf of RF glasses was quite a no-brainer back in 2011!).

Looking at the German HiFi Forum message board, I was frankly amazed by the amount of confusion and what looks like an ignorance regarding the superior performance of RF glasses.
I'm pretty certain that this amount of confusion (there are more things the average consumer can do wrong than right) has not been exactly a supporting factor on behalf of 3D.
I agree, all this confusion hasn't helped 3D win anybody's hard earned money! Not to mention the high cost of glasses from some manufacturers (looking at you Epson!).

I have been using a Acer 6510BD DLP with these 3D Heaven glasses on Amazon. They are very comfortable, rechargeable, and cost effective. I've had no ghosting/crosstalk with these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have also used these eDimensional glasses which match perfectly with my Samsung Plasma. No issue.

And this week I am trying out the Epson 5040ub, and the Samsung glasses above which I thought would have worked on the LCD had lot's of ghosting/crosstalk. I ordered these which are also from 3D Heaven and they are much better!
I tested them with Avengers Infinity War and managed to get everything to look ok except the location titles, which since they are almost in negative pop-out there is alot of ghosting on the Epson LCD. I tested on the Acer DLP and Samsung plasma with appropriate glasses and the ghosting was completely gone.

We like the brightness and color saturation ALOT better on the Epson LCD vs the DLP. There's always a compromise it seems...

Anyone else have a good recommendation on glasses for the Epson? It would be great to find a pair that wasn't so dark and increased contrast on a lesser scale (though I understand why they make them that way in general)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 569
The Epson 5040U is notorious for 3D crosstalk. I owned one for a while and sent it back because I couldn't solve the crosstalk issue. Others were having the same problem. I heard that Epson will take them back and adjust them under warranty. Don't know for sure, it's been well over a year since I toyed with it. I think they just limited the brightness on 3D and solved some of the issues, but you have to have a smaller screen then. Try turning your brightness down until the crosstalk goes away. I don't think you will find glasses that work 100% with it. I know that many have recommended the Samsung glasses and I tried them. Work a little better, but still had crosstalk.

Review the 5040U forum. There should be a lot about crosstalk and solving it.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-08-2018, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoser View Post
I have been using a Acer 6510BD DLP with these 3D Heaven glasses on Amazon. They are very comfortable, rechargeable, and cost effective. I've had no ghosting/crosstalk with these.

But...these are "DLP Link" glasses and therefore a no-go for me.

I understand that DLP Link glasses for DLP front projectors are a somewhat foolproof and hazzle-free way to get 3D...BUT...

Back in 2011 I had the option to test these DLP Link glasses (i.e. Optoma "ZD 301") against RF 3D shutter glasses- and decided without any hesitation to go with the Optoma "3D-RF" (RF-emitter and VESA 3D sync connector on front projector required, unless front projector has the RF emitter already on board, IIRC that applies to Epson and Sony) glasses (also known as "Vision MAX3D eyewear" or "BC5000") because the 3D picture was crystal clear, had no artefacts, red tint or the like whatsoever and last but not least, I can turn my head anyway I want but RF glasses just won't loose their sync and I can go all the way right in front of my screen (talk about "true" immersion) and still see a 3D front projected image.

Where technically possibly I can only strongly recommend to test RF 3D shutter glasses (where required - unless RF-emitter is inside the front projector - with external RF emitter connected to the VESA 3D synch port).

In my partcular case the problem has been that my "3D-RF" glasses are way too big for my children. I had already bought a 3DTVCorp. RF kids shutter glasses back in 2015 but could never pair it with my Optoma / Bit Cauldron BC100 RF-emitter.

Last week I noticed these "ValueView" 3D RF glasses - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ACN8D9U...2-b56c5080678d - that appear to be the same as the Hi-Shock "..... Heaven" 3D RF glasses available here in Germany - https://www.amazon.de/Hi-SHOCK%C2%AE...+Brillen&psc=1

I purchased these in a set containing the matching RF-emitter, docked it to the 3D VESA connector of my HD 83(00), paired the glasses with it and got great 3D images (but had to change polarity in the HD 83's menu as the 3D was 'inside-out'). At the occassion I also paired the 3DTVCorp's kids glasses (I could never get to work with the BC100 RF-emitter) and voila, these now and finally performed as these should.

However, I was told that these RF glasses have sync problems with Sony front projectors and that I should rather look into the Xpand 3D RF glasses (my next one could be a Sony...). Supposedly my alternative, new 3D-RF system is compatible with Xpand, so I'll get two of these to be on the safe side.

I have also ordered a Y-VESA adapter that should enable me to both run the Hi-Shock and the BC100-emitters simultaneously. As one set of glasses will have the opposite polarity of the other and since I can only reverse polarity on the BC100 emitter I will give that a try.

As it appears in hindsight Optoma made somewhat certain that in terms of RF glasses the average consumer was somewhat coerced to stay with an Optoma RF system (especially since the 3D default settings in my HD 83's menu always revert to the setting favoring the Optoma RF glasses ).
Although Optoma's older ZF2100 system is compatible with the oldest "3D-RF" system, it is incompatible with the last ZF2300 system.

As this system's emitter (unlike the old BC100/B) has no control buttons, the user has to stick with it or swap it completely for a different one.

As the 4K Optoma projectors now only support DLP Link, I understand that my findings are somewhat irrelevant for the latest projectors, but hopefully of some help for owners of the HD 33, HD83(00), HD50, Vivitek 1189 and corresponding models with different type numbers.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 10-08-2018 at 05:01 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good summary CKMe . Maybe we can keep it maintained for the benefit of people looking to buy glasses.

I have an Epson 4000 Projector. I bought two of the Quantum G5 IR and Bluetooth Active 3D glasses from a seller on Ebay for $15. The glasses have received mixed reviews on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Universal-3D-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But you can get them for $20 on ebay, so they're pretty cheap. I've watched a decent amount of movies so far (Gravity, Life of Pi, Tron, Jurassic Park, The Walk, Lego Batman, Rio, Avatar). I haven't used any other 3d glasses with the projector, so I don't have a frame of reference to compare these glasses with other glasses. But they've always synced well with my projector, always stayed synced until 3D is off, and seem to keep a pretty good charge as I haven't needed to charge them since the initial charge. The image seems good to me (I watched Avatar last night, the 3D is so immersive) and the image doesn't seem too dark.

Has anyone else tried these glasses and been able to compare to others? I'm debating whether to buy a pair of Epsons so I can compare or whether to just stick with the ignorance is bliss philosophy. I'm happy with the glasses and am afraid I'll ruin them if I try to compare to other glasses.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
The Epson 5040U is notorious for 3D crosstalk. I owned one for a while and sent it back because I couldn't solve the crosstalk issue. Others were having the same problem. I heard that Epson will take them back and adjust them under warranty. Don't know for sure, it's been well over a year since I toyed with it. I think they just limited the brightness on 3D and solved some of the issues, but you have to have a smaller screen then. Try turning your brightness down until the crosstalk goes away. I don't think you will find glasses that work 100% with it. I know that many have recommended the Samsung glasses and I tried them. Work a little better, but still had crosstalk.

Review the 5040U forum. There should be a lot about crosstalk and solving it.
Someone recommended the ValueView 3D glasses (I bought them on Amazon) for the 5040UB and I didn't do a rigorous test by any means, but I found it to be faaaaar superior to the very pricey Epson active glasses for crosstalk. Had a lot of crosstalk with Solo in 3D in "3D dynamic" (the brighter) setting but it essentially went away with the VV glasses. No kidding, it was amazing. Glasses themselves are okay too, maybe a little cheaper feeling than the Epson but not significantly. The only real drawback is the use of the ultra compact USB tip it requires for charging (smaller than MicroUSB) and the lack of an on/off switch. Will try watching Solo again (yes, I actually like it) and compare with the Epson glasses to see if the improvement is real and substantial.
inspector likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Someone recommended the ValueView 3D glasses (I bought them on Amazon) for the 5040UB and I didn't do a rigorous test by any means, but I found it to be faaaaar superior to the very pricey Epson active glasses for crosstalk. Had a lot of crosstalk with Solo in 3D in "3D dynamic" (the brighter) setting but it essentially went away with the VV glasses. No kidding, it was amazing. Glasses themselves are okay too, maybe a little cheaper feeling than the Epson but not significantly. The only real drawback is the use of the ultra compact USB tip it requires for charging (smaller than MicroUSB) and the lack of an on/off switch. Will try watching Solo again (yes, I actually like it) and compare with the Epson glasses to see if the improvement is real and substantial.
I too have tried the ValueView glasses with the 5040ub and so far they have been excellent. We got them last week and they beat out the 3 other brands we tried in spades. We have tested the VV with about 10 movies so far, which include Infinity War and Rogue One, and we are extremely happy with the results.

I do agree that the build quality is cheaper and that the older USB charge port is a little annoying, but in the end we are fine with dealing with these nit picks as the results are fantastic, esp. compared to the price of the Epson branded glasses.
inspector likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoser View Post
I too have tried the ValueView glasses with the 5040ub and so far they have been excellent. We got them last week and they beat out the 3 other brands we tried in spades. We have tested the VV with about 10 movies so far, which include Infinity War and Rogue One, and we are extremely happy with the results.

I do agree that the build quality is cheaper and that the older USB charge port is a little annoying, but in the end we are fine with dealing with these nit picks as the results are fantastic, esp. compared to the price of the Epson branded glasses.
Yep, totally agree. The build quality is totally fine although I do wish it had an on/off switch. I do like how they fit over eyeglasses better, at least with mine, than the Epsons. They are pretty comfortable too, and the soft, rubberish nose piece/feet are a nice touch. Glad you had success with A:IW and Rogue One as I have both those movies too!

Can't wait to test it out again, maybe tonight...

[addendum] So I watched Solo a bit tonight using both glasses and comparing them in the same scenes and actually I didn't notice much crosstalk with the Epsons (using "3D Dynamic" setting, auto iris off, fan at medium, brightness/contrast at 60) nor the ValueViews. Neither was noticeably brighter than the other either, but the VV were a bit "warmer" and the Epsons a bit "cooler" in hue/tone, but just slightly/mildly. Will have to watch a full movie later to get a better idea. Nonetheless, both are still too dark for my preference...

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)

Last edited by impetigo; 10-16-2018 at 02:36 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just checked ValueView RF glasses & find same price as Epson one.
Close to CAD 235 for 2 pairs? Isn't expensive?
post #11 of 14 Old 12-18-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Just checked ValueView RF glasses & find same price as Epson one.

Close to CAD 235 for 2 pairs? Isn't expensive?
Yep. I bought a 4 pair pack of ValueView glasses for $130 (USD) back in January. Single pair selling for $40 now.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #12 of 14 Old 06-30-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynejs View Post
Good summary CKMe . Maybe we can keep it maintained for the benefit of people looking to buy glasses.

I have an Epson 4000 Projector. I bought two of the Quantum G5 IR and Bluetooth Active 3D glasses from a seller on Ebay for $15. The glasses have received mixed reviews on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Universal-3D-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But you can get them for $20 on ebay, so they're pretty cheap. I've watched a decent amount of movies so far (Gravity, Life of Pi, Tron, Jurassic Park, The Walk, Lego Batman, Rio, Avatar). I haven't used any other 3d glasses with the projector, so I don't have a frame of reference to compare these glasses with other glasses. But they've always synced well with my projector, always stayed synced until 3D is off, and seem to keep a pretty good charge as I haven't needed to charge them since the initial charge. The image seems good to me (I watched Avatar last night, the 3D is so immersive) and the image doesn't seem too dark.

Has anyone else tried these glasses and been able to compare to others? I'm debating whether to buy a pair of Epsons so I can compare or whether to just stick with the ignorance is bliss philosophy. I'm happy with the glasses and am afraid I'll ruin them if I try to compare to other glasses.
Quantum no longer sells the G5 model, the current model is the N11. Purchased a pair ($20) to try with my Epson HC4000. Decent build with charging cable, cloth bag and cleaning cloth, heavy at 1.55 ounces. However they produced terrible crosstalk with the Epson and I returned them. They are advertised as a 'universal' model so they may work better with other RF/IR devices.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-27-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's a shame the ValueView glasses are no longer being sold, several companies that made decent 3D glasses no longer exist.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

3DTV Corp Lightest RF/Bluetooth Rechargeable 3D Glasses for 3D Epson projectors Replacement of Epson model V12H548006 and ELPGS03 RF 3D Glasses

Purchased a pair ($26) to test with my Epson HC4000 4K projector. Worked fine with no crosstalk. Posted review on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B071K7FNHZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d glasses , Acer , comparison , H5380BD , Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page