4K Projectors with 3D - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #331 of 332 Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Copying from my post in another thread since it's relevant here. A couple of 1080p projectors are included as well fyi:

I went back to look at my notes for different projectors' brightness in 3d as measured by Chris Eberle who uses the same equipment and environment in for each one. There can always be slight variance between units of the same model and different setting of course can raise or lower brightness, but these should give a good idea for comparison. I posted all the pjs I checked so far and threw in black level and contrast for completeness, and because I'll probably be re-posting this a few times else where.

All setting are measured in 3d mode and are in nits and all info/opinions are from Chris Eberle @ hometheaterhifi.com (except my estimate of the tk850 w/ iris on):

tk850: peak white = 31.2 / black floor = .0677 / contrast ratio 460:1 (without bulb throttling/iris off- brilliant color, superb motion processing, great brightness and minimal crosstalk .04%)

tk850: peak white = 31.2 / black floor = .0251 / contrast ratio 1242:1 (with bulb throttling/my estimate of with iris on- brilliant color, superb motion processing, great brightness and minimal crosstalk .04%)

tk800: peak white = 41 / black floor = .1849 / contrast ratio 222:1 (gamma 2.4- very bright, detailed, zero crosstalk, poor black levels and contrast, lacks punch)

ht3550: peak white = 23 / black floor = .0152 / contrast ratio 1507:1 (lamp normal/Dynamic Iris on- very low crosstalk .04%)

ht5550: peak white = 13.2 / black floor = .0048 / contrast ratio 2767:1 (bulb normal/iris on- very low crosstalk .02%)

ht3050: peak white = 20.9 / black floor = .01679 / contrast ratio 1232:1 (smarteco-great motion resolution, just a little dim and blacks could be better, very detailed and great sense of depth, very low crosstalk .04%)

ht2050a: peak white = 25 / black floor = .0364 / contrast ratio 683:1 (contrast a bit lacking, decent brightness, good clarity, high motion resolution, very low crosstalk)

uhd51a: peak white = 22 / black floor = .096 / contrast ratio 224:1 (superb motion handling, rich and saturated colors, very low crosstalk .03%)

6040ub: peak white = 43.8 / black floor = .0096 / contrast ratio 4605:1 (3d cinema/bulb high- excellent color and contrast, "killer 3d" and "impression of depth is tremendous")

hc3700: peak white = 54.2 / black floor = .0223 / contrast ratio 2422:1 (bulb high/iris off- "high clarity, smooth motion processing and great contrast...excellent black levels....highest 3D output I’ve ever recorded....killer 3d")

Adding this for context:

Not a dumb question. For how he measured it yes, that would be correct. However you'll notice that the ht3550 was measured with dynamic iris on and the tk850 was measured with it off. When he turned the iris from off to "fast" in 2d, the contrast increased by a factor of about 2.7 and the black floor decreased by the same. So adjusting for that and assuming the 3d changes about the same, you may expect closer to the numbers I estimated in the second tk850 line above (after he asked the question).Also, I don't think 3 times better contrast ratio is actually perceived as 3 times better.

This is awesome! Thank you so much! We just closed on our new house and I should be starting the theater room hopefully in the next couple of weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 332 Old 05-12-2020, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad56 View Post
This is awesome! Thank you so much! We just closed on our new house and I should be starting the theater room hopefully in the next couple of weeks!
Glad to help and congratulations! Let us know how it goes and what pj you get if you remember

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page