4K 3D TVs still available - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 120 Old 03-07-2018, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
So got the e6 mounted on Monday, didn't take long and I discovered it actually does have burn in. They had left a blu ray menu screen on running for who knows how long. I noticed it first when playing content that I had filmed and noticed a strange pattern where there should not be. Changed to different content, couldn't see it. Then discovered that it takes solid areas of color to show it. Orange backgrounds show it the most, red and green, light blue. Blue, white and black don't show it at all. I made a test file with solid colors so I could see exactly what the burn in is. Yes, the demo material they were showing, the menu screen. I can read it: Play, scene selection and set up.

Wish I had looked into this a little further on what to look for on burn in. Mostly, you can't see it with normal content. It takes solid areas of color on the left side of screen to show it. Regular viewing it isn't really visible at all until you get a large area of color on that side of screen, a sunset or something like that. I wish I had my test file on usb stick when I checked it out, could have discovered it then and I would not have bought it but I thought I could discover burn in with just regular content but you may not notice it at all then. Waiting to hear back if I can return it, I'll probably be stuck with it, oh well. It does have a nice image most of the time, but you know how it goes, once you see it, you can't unsee it and it's there forever. I've run the static removal thing twice now, didn't do anything that I could tell.

So, yeah, if you missed out on these OLED's for 3D, you're better off. High-priced junk! Wake me up when they have these fixed and I'll pick up another OLED until then I'm telling everyone to stay away from them.
OH NO!! I can't believe it Tom. I knew you were really excited about the great deal you got at the pawn shop. You can't just take it back? I mean you just got it. I thought you tested it at the pawn shop?

And yeah you are right; once you see a burn-in your eyes focus on it constantly every time you watch the damn thing. I just checked and there are no more of these units anywhere. Period. I am so sorry.

Why do people insist on running these wonderfully fantastic bright panels for hours with images that with such a bright picture will often cause burn-in? That is what makes the 3d so wonderful! They are so clear and bright. But that means you can't run it like a normal panel tv; 16 hours a day with a menu screen on. These tvs really should have a screen saver built into them.

When LG does comes back with 3d in the future hopefully they will have this problem fixed. Unfortunately, it will be a long time from now though I am afraid, if ever.

Well at least you know you gave it a good shot. Maybe it will get better over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
I thought you tested it at the pawn shop?

Maybe it will get better over time.
I tested it with 3D material that I filmed, mainly to check the 3D. I visually check the overall screen and didn't see any burn in but I should have researched checking for burn in first because (and I didn't know this at the time) you can't really see it with normal content. I created a basic video file with solid color backgrounds and wish I had brought that with me on my usb stick but it will show any burn in that is on the screen. I made it with solid orange, red, green, light green, light blue, dark blue, yellow, white and black. So black and white won't show any burn in, actually will hide it but it should show under white if any pixels are out so good for that. Orange shows the burn in the best but it's going to depend on what colors were burned in, I believe from my research yellow will burn in the quickest and hardest. Basically, black (because the pixels or off ((no color)), white, dark blue won't show the burn in, but lighter colors will and red and orange show it the best.

I have to say, watching it last night, I was only able to see the burn in maybe less than 1 percent of the time. The show I was watching showed people with red shirts on and it was a quick scene and I could see the lettering, it's also shows up very faded and doesn't stand out, you really have to be looking for it.

Waiting for a call back, I may just go back with pictures and show them. However, I'm seeing if this screen is still available first anywhere so I don't want to return it just yet unless I can get another one. I have to say, even with the burn in, it is still the best screen I've even seen. And most likely, I will just cause more burn in with my use anyway so it will probably just get more burn in. I'm not going to abide by old plasma rules of watching an emissive display and stop watching certain content. That's just silly.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #33 of 120 Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And I just got an email back from Big Sandy (website shows in stock), they do not have the E6 any longer, they've moved to the E7. So that answers that. Probably have to live with it, can't find another one now only used most likely and could have the same issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 120 Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM

Sounds like you're not like me. Once I see an issue with a display I am never able to not focus on it.

And at least you got one of the last 3d models that will ever be available. A lot of people waited too long.

Nothing like that picture though is there? I agree with you that they have the most impressive pictures out there, ever. Especially the 3d!!

I wouldn't think you would see the burn in on 3d anyway.

SO ENJOY!!
post #35 of 120 Old 03-08-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I'm the same way which is why I was so upset about it but I've been viewing the screen now for a few days and most of the time you can't see it at all, takes a large area of solid color to show it which doesn't happen that often with content. I would say it would only be visible less than 1 percent of the time. Watched shows on it all week and I've seen it only a few times, like during a Target commercial, basketball with solid color backgrounds. It sucks it's there but really it doesn't show up until you have solid color in that area which if you think about it, there's not really much to look at in an image that has a lot of solid color, there's not going to be a lot of detail to observe.

Yes, the black level is unusually present. I have it up on the wall where the old 140" projector screen used to be. That's been taken down and I have a new pull down screen ready to go up in front of this OLED so I can have both. The walls are all black down there and when you have only text on the screen and just black it's literally like viewing writing on the wall. You can't see where the screen ends and the walls begin. Very erie. Watched Grand Tour, viewed in HD but it looks 4K on this screen. Watched old SD material and it makes that look HD. My HD stuff I've filmed in 3D, wow, I've never seen it look so good, some of it even looks 4K.

Watched some History Channel Universe in 3D and there's just one spot where they're showing some cloud of red and I can faintly see the burn in, it's very light but yes I can see it. Not very often but I can see it. I think I can live with it, given the image quality it produces not to mention I will likely cause more burn in on it anyway. If this is as bad as it gets I think it is worth the trade off. LG says that the burn in could heal itself, (cough, BS!) but we'll see.

OLED certainly is the best image you can get in a flat panel, but there's some trade offs but I think if this is as bad as it gets for burn in, it isn't really that big of a deal. No point in losing sleep over it. I don't plan on changing my viewing habits, accept turning TV off when I'm done instead of leaving the Plex menu up for long periods.

So, yeah, I'm a believer in OLED, they're great just have to live with the trade offs.

post #36 of 120 Old 03-31-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 7
can tvdailydeals be trusted ? google shows high approval but other sites like BBB more questionable?
post #37 of 120 Old 03-31-2018, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i pulled the trigger on an OLED65G6P today, though it's an open box item which is new for me. i don't wish to disclose the seller until the experience is completed. i will say that they have a good rep.

i asked why the item was open box. they stated that the box was received from the manufacturer with a hole in the back of the box. it was opened to be inspected as they're hesitant to ship to a customer who is expecting a brand new item with damage to the packaging. the inspection consisted of looking over the unit and plugging it in for some diagnostics. Less than ten minutes usually. states that the unit is practically brand new save for what i described above.

as part of the deal, i'm getting white glove delivery. the rep said that i can call him while the delivery guy is there if need be during my inspection. have to say that the rep lived up to what i've heard about this business. hoping everything goes without issue.

my question to you knowledgeable folks is what kind of testing should i do when the unit is delivered? any input on what i should look for is appreciated. ironically, i was looking for the E6P. didn't expect them to have this model. i do have some UHD blue rays but i need to get a player for them. also wonder if i need a new spec hdmi cable for that. waiting for delivery company to call and schedule a window.

again, any input you can provide is vastly appreciated.

fingers crossed. . .

-Dwayne
post #38 of 120 Old 04-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Spears and Munsil

First cut the tv on and check the number of hours it has been on. This is the general section of the tv menu. Should be less than 10 hours I would guess. If less than 10 hours you should have no burn-in issues. Make sure you cut on the screen saver so you won't get a burn in later on also.

Secondly, Buy the Spears and Munsil 2d edition test dvd. It has great 3d tests that you can quickly use to determine if you got any problems. Takes about 10 minutes.

Thirdly, watch a movie you love but don't watch the movie; watch the screen for problems. Reverse vignetting(lighter on the sides of the tv) and bands of darkness in various darker scenes. Many people recommend Marco Polo on Netflix for example at I believe the 1 minute mark? I personally like to watch Arrival in 4k; it has a lot of dark torture tests for a tv. If if the picture looks good on that movie you are good to go. If you see any problems just determine if you can live with them.

Fourthly, watch any movie in 3d for at least 10 minutes; it should blow you away. I like the first scene from Wolverine where the A-bomb drops on Hiroshima. That is a helluva 3d scene! Should be no crosstalk or ghosting; just a magnificent bright picture. You should get a ****-eating grin.

Fifth, Don't look for any problems. Don't test the tv using 5% darkness screens or other malarky. Just enjoy the damn thing. You now have the greatest 3d to ever exist, and possibly that ever will exist!
post #39 of 120 Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
First cut the tv on and check the number of hours it has been on. This is the general section of the tv menu. Should be less than 10 hours I would guess. If less than 10 hours you should have no burn-in issues. Make sure you cut on the screen saver so you won't get a burn in later on also.

Secondly, Buy the Spears and Munsil 2d edition test dvd. It has great 3d tests that you can quickly use to determine if you got any problems. Takes about 10 minutes.

Thirdly, watch a movie you love but don't watch the movie; watch the screen for problems. Reverse vignetting(lighter on the sides of the tv) and bands of darkness in various darker scenes. Many people recommend Marco Polo on Netflix for example at I believe the 1 minute mark? I personally like to watch Arrival in 4k; it has a lot of dark torture tests for a tv. If if the picture looks good on that movie you are good to go. If you see any problems just determine if you can live with them.

Fourthly, watch any movie in 3d for at least 10 minutes; it should blow you away. I like the first scene from Wolverine where the A-bomb drops on Hiroshima. That is a helluva 3d scene! Should be no crosstalk or ghosting; just a magnificent bright picture. You should get a ****-eating grin.

Fifth, Don't look for any problems. Don't test the tv using 5% darkness screens or other malarky. Just enjoy the damn thing. You now have the greatest 3d to ever exist, and possibly that ever will exist!
Thank you so much!

I'll report back with how things went...

-Dwayne
post #40 of 120 Old 04-03-2018, 03:01 PM

Your welcome. Do let us know your thoughts when you get a chance. Bill

ps After writing that I am going to go right now and watch the first scene of Wolverine again. Ha.Ha. I love that scene!!!!

pss Invest in an Oppo 203 region free. You can get 10% off right now from Bombay Electronics(great service and fast). Will cost you about $600.00 but you won't regret it(So many movies are region locked). And Oppo is going out business so I wouldn't wait around too long!

Last edited by wildbill722; 04-03-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #41 of 120 Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM

List of 4k 3d passive televisions

65 inch and larger lg 3d 4k tvs

Toshiba l9300u series
Sony x900a series
Lg la9700 series
Lg la9600 series
Lg ub9800 series includes 98, 84,79 and 65 inch models
Lg ub 9500 series
Lg 65 and 77ec9700 series oleds
Sony XBR-x850b series
Lgs
ef 9500 and ef9800 oled flat
eg9900(bendable only 77) and eg9600 curved oled not as good
uf9500 8500
ug870v and ug860v
Sony x900c
Lgs only
uh8500(has 75 inch model)
uh9500(has 86 inch model)
6p series oleds(77g6p only 77)
luv_mist and Jeff Morrissette like this.

Last edited by wildbill722; 04-05-2018 at 12:19 AM.
post #42 of 120 Old 04-04-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There was a 2014 UB8500 model, I have the 49".

post #43 of 120 Old 04-04-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They also discontinued the Harmon Kardon soundbars (I don't see them on 2017 and newer models, correct?) after 2016 which I must say are pretty good, but I don't really use it since it's in a theater setup. Samsung bought HK later that year so I guess LG didn't want to deal with rival manufacturer.

post #44 of 120 Old 04-05-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
There was a 2014 UB8500 model, I have the 49".
I am doing a second list of 55 and smaller screens next. List just got too complicated! Thank you for the help! Bill
post #45 of 120 Old 04-05-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
They also discontinued the Harmon Kardon soundbars (I don't see them on 2017 and newer models, correct?) after 2016 which I must say are pretty good, but I don't really use it since it's in a theater setup. Samsung bought HK later that year so I guess LG didn't want to deal with rival manufacturer.
Yes they sound very good. I, like you though, wanted surround system and couldn't figure out how to connect rear surround sound speakers to the Harmon Kardon!
post #46 of 120 Old 04-05-2018, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
So got the e6 mounted on Monday, didn't take long and I discovered it actually does have burn in.
You can try to "erase" the burn in by exposing the screen to UV light from the sun. Check the forum, it has been done with great results.
post #47 of 120 Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am doing a second list of 55 and smaller screens next. List just got too complicated! Thank you for the help! Bill
We should probably include all 4K 3D screens, Samsung sold a few models until 2015, Sony dropped passive but still had a few last year made. Hisense.

post #48 of 120 Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Your welcome. Do let us know your thoughts when you get a chance. Bill

ps After writing that I am going to go right now and watch the first scene of Wolverine again. Ha.Ha. I love that scene!!!!

pss Invest in an Oppo 203 region free. You can get 10% off right now from Bombay Electronics(great service and fast). Will cost you about $600.00 but you won't regret it(So many movies are region locked). And Oppo is going out business so I wouldn't wait around too long!
ok - recieved the tv late last week. after they unboxed and set the tv on table, i threw on the m&s disc. unfortunately, i didn't read the booklet or go through a tech rehearsal with my existing set prior to delivery. realizing this was gonna take longer than i initially thought for my first go through, i replaced that disc with avatar 3D and handed a pair of glasses to each of us. absolute and undeniable sheer amazement. the quality of 3D on this set is the best i've ever seen in a tv. they had never seen 3D playback in a home environment. both walked away as confirmed believers. if they would've had this years ago when the the format launched, maybe it would have had greater longevity. this may be the greatest 3D set ever. oh, and by the way - i played it on my new udp-203. unfortunately, i didn't see the offer you posted for region-free. 😞

netflix lost in space in dolby vision is incredible. i did notice an issue with the uhd disc if the last jedi where there are flashing swaths of red of the rebel cave ground when they notice the crystal foxes are gone. don't have the chapter and time on hand. this was not visible in the accompanying standard blu-ray. the tv did recognize dobly vision.

curious if anyone else has seen this.

everything else is fine. still have to calibrate with m&s. but it looks like settings are saved differently for the different types of hdr and as.

more thoughts to follow. hope the echogear full motion mount will work with this set...

-Dwayne
post #49 of 120 Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the update! And congratulations. Your life will never be the same.

Don't panic if you see some ghosting with first set up. If you position the tv too high or angled too much, ghosting can show up, but is easily fixed with angle or height adjustment.

And you can always buy a much cheaper region free 3d player from bombay electronics later. You got the 203; that's what counts. Oppo just shut its doors, so you will one day have a piece of equipment of legends!(They are going to continue to update firmware, by the way).

Can't speak to the Last Jedi 4k issue. I have the Last Jedi 3d blu ray coming in from Amazon.uk. It cost me $18.00 so I have to wait a little extra for it, as I didn't use global priority. I enjoy waiting for a 3d blu ray almost as much as getting it. It makes it more of an event! Ha.Ha.

So I say to you: Welcome to the Pride!

ps now for the bad news! There are over 700 3d blu rays you need to buy! Ha.Ha. Let me know when you are ready for the list.
danlshane likes this.

Last edited by wildbill722; 04-17-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #50 of 120 Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just posted this in another thread. Just purchased the Sony XBR-65Z9D 3D TV from Best Buy for $1,999.99 at the end of October. Heck of a deal. My TV was manufactured in September 2018, so this is further confirmation that this 2016 top-of-the-line 3D TV is still in production! Love it.
post #51 of 120 Old 11-12-2018, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're right, just did a check on Best Buy and 2 of the Z9 models show up, the 65 and the 75 but the 75" isn't on sale, so 6999.99.

Are you sure it was manufactured this year? I can't believe they would still be making them.

Of course these are active screens. The LG Oled's are really the top of the line for 3D and passive 3D. Lowest crosstalk and best color. Still, a 3D TV that you can still buy new, even if old stock.

post #52 of 120 Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Yup, these are still being made, but they appear to be dumping them at a low price now, which might indicate this is the end of the line. Here's a statement about 3D on the lower-price one: "Experience 4K UHD resolution even in 3D
Each of your eyes will see a 4K UHD 3D image (something many 3D TVs can't provide) for incredible depth and realism. Two pairs of active 3D glasses are included. Additional pairs sold separately."

Edit: I saw these on the BHphotovideo.com website for a while. I see the cheaper one is no longer available now, though. The expensive one is actually at a $2,000 lower price now.

Last edited by 3DBob; 11-12-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #53 of 120 Old 11-12-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw that description on UHD 3D as well, but LG's can actually display UHD 3D too, so the claim isn't unique to Sonys. Something to test on this active Sony is whether it can accept a 3D UHD signal either in t/b or side by side or only HD. 2K price isn't bad, I think the LG LED models were a little cheaper, around 1800.00 last part of 2016 when on sale.

post #54 of 120 Old 11-13-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had been looking for over a year on the TV I had my eye on: The 4k UN85JU7100. After a year and 3 false alarms (sites listing them that did not) a batch of them came in to "BrandSmart USA" These were brand new sets. I do not know where to verify manufacture date.
post #55 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre99 View Post
I had been looking for over a year on the TV I had my eye on: The 4k UN85JU7100. After a year and 3 false alarms (sites listing them that did not) a batch of them came in to "BrandSmart USA" These were brand new sets. I do not know where to verify manufacture date.
Man, that's a big 3D TV! I wouldn't mind seeing one of those in action, even if it's not passive.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #56 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
2016 TVs of all types come up more than I had thought. Set notifications on a model search on eBay and check amazon frequently. 2 nearly new oled65g6p camu up on amazon last week for less than 3k each free shipping. I have enough hoarded away now.
post #57 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Man, that's a big 3D TV! I wouldn't mind seeing one of those in action, even if it's not passive.

Why is passive better or something?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #58 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Why is passive better or something?
For me passive is better. I tend to experience subliminal flicker headaches with active after prolonged use. Also don't like to worry about batteries. I have owned several active and passive 3D sets, and passive just works better for me.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #59 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Oh. It's just the opposite for me. I'm not sensitive to subliminal headaches. I don't worry about batteries. I just charge them next to my cell phone and a charge usually lasts for 10 movies or so although batteries take about 5 secs to change out and give plenty of heads up so they don't die in the middle of a movie or anything like that. I also enjoy getting full resolution to each eye unlike passive that only provides half resolution to each eye since every other line of horizontal pixels are blank black lines on the display no matter what the native resolution is. But you'd know all this already having owned several of each technology. I just thought you meant passive produced a better picture or something and that us active tech users were missing out or something along those lines.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #60 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
also enjoy getting full resolution to each eye unlike passive that only provides half resolution to each eye since every other line of horizontal pixels are blank black lines on the display no matter what the native resolution is. But you'd know all this already having owned several of each technology. I just thought you meant passive produced a better picture or something and that us active tech users were missing out or something along those lines.
With 4K there are no visible black lines, unless you're sitting 2 feet away but then 3D wouldn't work anyway. I have active on projector and passive on LG screens. I like passive better as far as the glasses and a brighter image. The active glasses are bulkier, heavier and darker and require charging. I have been in the middle of a movie and they start to wig out so have to switch pairs. Passive always works. But I like the large format screen for movies so just have to deal with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page