4K 3D TVs still available - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I really don't want to participate in yet another passive is better than active tech thread. It just amazes me how often overrated OLED passive tech is touted when it really isn't all that. We can rehash all the negatives like having to get out a plumb bob, a compass, a tape measure, a level, and a formula to dictate where your one and only sweet spot is. And if you're not exactly in it, you blame the ghosting and lack of depth on everything but the problem. Add a few other seats others would like to enjoy and then they complain. Of course you blame something other than where they are plopped to sit and endure it while encouraging their fists to wave how much 3D sucks. Then there is that half resolution thing you try to repair by altering and needing to reencode your rips in to some sort of monstrosity SBS or TAB touted as the correct thing to do that everybody does. Visible lines or not, all of them are not being used and it's half resolution. I also enjoy the upscaling to 4k active allows. I find it funny after touting and working around the pitfalls of passive LG OLED 3D nightmares, folks dig for the bad about active tech as if it is going to un-blemish the real problem child. Bulky glasses? I'd bet the active glasses that came standard with my display have less mass and weigh less with batteries and even if not so, us who wear glasses day in and day out don't seem to notice what you deem a deal breaker. Seems last time I put on passive glasses, they too had a dark tint even though it doesn't matter if you calibrate your display correctly and take into account 3D titles are mastered brighter. If your battery leaves you high and dry without at least two movies worth of power left before they fail, get better glasses. The battery life indicator displayed every time you turn them on is spot on. Fwiw, I don't prefer large format screens from a PJ. The pixels are too big. The image is not crisp. I sit in the back row at the theatre for this reason and let the blur blend into something visible that doesn't constantly remind me how big it is but how blurry and distracting it is at the same time. Thankfully I can have a much better experience at home where I don't have to sit 60 feet away. That's how I deal with it.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
brazen1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Beach in North Carolina
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgus1 View Post
2016 TVs of all types come up more than I had thought. Set notifications on a model search on eBay and check amazon frequently. 2 nearly new oled65g6p camu up on amazon last week for less than 3k each free shipping. I have enough hoarded away now.
Too funny. I saw the same ones and I just about bought the used-acceptable one for $2.5k, but just couldn't pass up the deal at Sam Ash for an EVH 5153 guitar amp. Man that baby can rock!

Those g6ps went fast. They were gone in about 3 days. I can't believe people are still looking for these models on the off chance Amazon will throw one up. I just saw it by fluke. I mean they haven't been for sale for over a year now. This was the first time I have seen a LG 2016 on amazon in many many months.

Doesn't it feel good to be a hoarder!

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203
wildbill722 is offline  
post #63 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I really don't want to participate in yet another passive is better than active tech thread. It just amazes me how often overrated OLED passive tech is touted when it really isn't all that. We can rehash all the negatives like having to get out a plumb bob, a compass, a tape measure, a level, and a formula to dictate where your one and only sweet spot is. And if you're not exactly in it, you blame the ghosting and lack of depth on everything but the problem. Add a few other seats others would like to enjoy and then they complain. Of course you blame something other than where they are plopped to sit and endure it while encouraging their fists to wave how much 3D sucks. Then there is that half resolution thing you try to repair by altering and needing to reencode your rips in to some sort of monstrosity SBS or TAB touted as the correct thing to do that everybody does. Visible lines or not, all of them are not being used and it's half resolution. I also enjoy the upscaling to 4k active allows. I find it funny after touting and working around the pitfalls of passive LG OLED 3D nightmares, folks dig for the bad about active tech as if it is going to un-blemish the real problem child. Bulky glasses? I'd bet the active glasses that came standard with my display have less mass and weigh less with batteries and even if not so, us who wear glasses day in and day out don't seem to notice what you deem a deal breaker. Seems last time I put on passive glasses, they too had a dark tint even though it doesn't matter if you calibrate your display correctly and take into account 3D titles are mastered brighter. If your battery leaves you high and dry without at least two movies worth of power left before they fail, get better glasses. The battery life indicator displayed every time you turn them on is spot on. Fwiw, I don't prefer large format screens from a PJ. The pixels are too big. The image is not crisp. I sit in the back row at the theatre for this reason and let the blur blend into something visible that doesn't constantly remind me how big it is but how blurry and distracting it is at the same time. Thankfully I can have a much better experience at home where I don't have to sit 60 feet away. That's how I deal with it.
My post wasn't about which tech is better, just to point out something that was incorrect about passive in that claim about black lines visible which was true of 1080p screens if sitting under 8ft or so but 4K screens resolved that issue, I can't see any black lines past 2ft. And all the lines are used with passive 4K it's displaying a 3840x2160p image in 2D and 3840x1080p/eye in 3D. Keep in mind the source resolution is still only 1920x1080 so the 3840x2160 image that is presented with active flickering is an upscaled image. Passive is upscaled too just in the width but combined to fill the 4k screen. Now if we were talking about 4k content, then yes, it would be half 4K/eye which these passive LG screens can be fed a 4K half 3d signal in t/b or SbS, if using t/b you would get native 3840x1080p per eye which looks pretty amazing. Something to check on these Sony models is if it can be sent a UHD 3D signal thru HDMI.

But for 3D the most important question is what is the crosstalk level?

OLED seems to handle crosstalk better than any previous LED LG screen I've seen before but it's still not as clean as my DLP projector. I can sit 10ft from 140" but my 65" OLED I could only manage about 6ft, not that I could probably stand sitting that close to that bright of a screen, it would strain my eyes too much, just checking crosstalk. I haven't had much experience with active flat panels so I can't say how they compare first hand.

I like my passive screens and active projector but there are drawbacks of each and both have room for improvement. You have to go with what's best for your room and what works best for you. I would never bother with active 3D in my living room. Passive is more casual and user friendly. Don't have to worry about turning them on, flipped left/right image. Yes, one brand of active glasses the image is always reversed when turned on. I wish it didn't even have the reverse option like the eStar glasses but that's one more thing to check with 2 pairs I bought. But for movie night, I like the big screen so it's active, if there was an easy way to do passive on that I would look into it, but it requires 2 projectors and silver screen, I think I'll stick with what's easier.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 120 Old 11-14-2018, 10:41 PM
Preditor
 
Jet-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
It just amazes me how often overrated OLED passive tech is touted when it really isn't all that.
To my eyes, 3D on the 2016 77" LG OLED is all that and more. Unfortunately 77" is the largest they made it. I've done active, passive, 1080p sets and 4K sets. In the end, passive on a 4K display has won me over all the time. And this is with Blu-Ray 3D MVC, not some half-SBS/TB signal.

To each his own.
wildbill722 likes this.
Jet-X is offline  
post #65 of 120 Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
With 4K there are no visible black lines, unless you're sitting 2 feet away but then 3D wouldn't work anyway.
That's my situation -- I have two LG 4K 3D sets (both 65"), so I have full 1080p for both eyes. I previously owned a Vizio passive HD set that did exhibit the alternating line image loss, but the 4K passive units are spectacular.

I sold my 73" Mitsubishi DLP active set to a friend, and it still presents a superb 3D image, but batteries and the occasional dog walking in front of the IR emitter can interrupt a show. All things being equal, both technologies are good ways to enjoy quality 3D; I just prefer passive in our small home. I couldn't even squeeze an 85" screen into my house, but I envy anyone who can!
jashotwe1 likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #66 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
rural scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50
one still for sale

Saw this one today on Ebay:

Brand NEW LG OLED65E6P 65" 2160p UHD OLED 3D HDR TV Dolby Vision HDR10, $14,898.98, Best 3D tv EVER made / Brand new in the box / RARE Find from evolving technologies. Supposed to be new in box.
wildbill722 likes this.
rural scribe is offline  
post #67 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
Saw this one today on Ebay:

Brand NEW LG OLED65E6P 65" 2160p UHD OLED 3D HDR TV Dolby Vision HDR10, $14,898.98, Best 3D tv EVER made / Brand new in the box / RARE Find from evolving technologies. Supposed to be new in box.
$14,898.98 —Never hurts to dream big
wildbill722 likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #68 of 120 Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Member
 
Morgus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I bought 2 new in box 65g6 for $5500 each last month... there were 2 others for sale at that time..
wildbill722 likes this.
Morgus1 is offline  
post #69 of 120 Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Tech-For-Less has a couple of Samsung 85" TVs with 3D still in stock(open box and used): https://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/...00?id=gjq36GV7 This is the link to Samsung for more info:https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n85ju7100fxza/ That is a huge screen size for 3D and the price isn't too outlandish--proceed at your own risk, though...

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85J.../dp/B00VB9MM5A Amazon still has 2015 stock too at full retail, though.

Tell Santa, maybe he can stuff one in the back of his sleigh--although, it's a pretty big box
3DBob is offline  
post #70 of 120 Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
rural scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Oh. It's just the opposite for me. I'm not sensitive to subliminal headaches. I don't worry about batteries. I just charge them next to my cell phone and a charge usually lasts for 10 movies or so although batteries take about 5 secs to change out and give plenty of heads up so they don't die in the middle of a movie or anything like that.
I agree. I have a passive LG OLED 3D TV (55EC9300) and an Optoma 3D projector (HD25e) with active RF glasses (Optoma  ZF2100 and 3D Now).

I prefer the projector for 3D, mainly because of the bigger picture. They are both good. I wish I had the 4K version of the LG, but never found one I could afford to buy. I bought the used LG at a pawn shop for $700. The projector cost about $500 new.

I have watched 3D movies up to 3 hours long with no breaks. No headaches using either the TV or the projector. The LG owner's manual recommends five to 15-minute breaks every hour when watching 3D content, by the way.

I do worry about the batteries going bad in my expensive shutter glasses, but it appears that replacement batteries are available, and I think I am handy enough to take the glasses apart, replace the batteries and put them back together. I found a YouTube video that shows how to do this.
JediMindTrick likes this.
rural scribe is offline  
post #71 of 120 Old 12-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 274
If you're in Seattle area, someone is selling a used LG OLED55c6 on craigslist. But the price is high IMHO for a used 55" ($2000) and it says "no negotiation", so I assume he's hoping a 3D fan will overpay for it.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #72 of 120 Old 12-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
$14,898.98 —Never hurts to dream big
Oh darn it, my budget is $14,898.95.
Kenbar likes this.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #73 of 120 Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 582
LifeWire has listed 3 3D TVs that you can still buy, plus links: https://www.lifewire.com/best-3d-tvs-1847765 I checked out the links and they do work.
3DBob is offline  
post #74 of 120 Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
If you're in Seattle area, someone is selling a used LG OLED55c6 on craigslist. But the price is high IMHO for a used 55" ($2000) and it says "no negotiation", so I assume he's hoping a 3D fan will overpay for it.
Actually, if it's in good shape with the 3D filter lined up correctly, that's not a bad price.

There is a 55E6P on Ebay...New York area, going for $1,500 right now.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #75 of 120 Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
LifeWire has listed 3 3D TVs that you can still buy, plus links: https://www.lifewire.com/best-3d-tvs-1847765 I checked out the links and they do work.
All of those use active glasses...not as desirable as passive in my opinion. But still, choices are limited for sure and especially for new.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #76 of 120 Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Tech-For-Less has a couple of Samsung 85" TVs with 3D still in stock(open box and used): https://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/...00?id=gjq36GV7 This is the link to Samsung for more info:https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n85ju7100fxza/ That is a huge screen size for 3D and the price isn't too outlandish--proceed at your own risk, though...

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85J.../dp/B00VB9MM5A Amazon still has 2015 stock too at full retail, though.

Tell Santa, maybe he can stuff one in the back of his sleigh--although, it's a pretty big box
A good friend of mine bought one of those active Samsung's 85"...has lots of crosstalk. So bad he had the board replaced under warranty...tried different glasses...nothing helped. Other than that it's a great 4K tv...but the reason he bought it was he wanted 3D. Just a heads up...

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #77 of 120 Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 AM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
A good friend of mine bought one of those active Samsung's 85"...has lots of crosstalk. So bad he had the board replaced under warranty...tried different glasses...nothing helped. Other than that it's a great 4K tv...but the reason he bought it was he wanted 3D. Just a heads up...
That's actually a shame, some people on these boards are very much in the pro-Active camp. Personally I've used the LG Passive FHD & 4K tech (FPR) which appears crosstalk free to me excluding a few situations (mostly subtitles or super-high contrasting visuals) causing crosstalk to bleed through at times. Most of the time it's due to poor vertical alignment (angled too high/low) being problematic, so I got a tilting wall bracket & stand to let me easily adjust it for the height of where people are sitting. Some people claim the DLP 3D + 144 Hz Active glasses have the least crosstalk, but I've yet to give that a go.
PCummins is offline  
post #78 of 120 Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[quote=PCummins;57390880]That's actually a shame, some people on these boards are very much in the pro-Active camp. Personally I've used the LG Passive FHD & 4K tech (FPR) which appears crosstalk free to me excluding a few situations (mostly subtitles or super-high contrasting visuals) causing crosstalk to bleed through at times. Most of the time it's due to poor vertical alignment (angled too high/low) being problematic, so I got a tilting wall bracket & stand to let me easily adjust it for the height of where people are sitting. Some people claim the DLP 3D + 144 Hz Active glasses have the least crosstalk, but I've yet to give that a go.[/quot

I get crosstalk on my lg passive, and vizio pretty bad especially jaws 3d, my oled lg, zero crosstalk, by far the best 3d I've seen, my 3d pj dlp 144 has zero crosstalk, looks better than anything else I've seen except the oled, but yeah definitely need to adjust the tv for vertical on passive, I need to do what your doing with the tilting wall bracket, glad to hear it works good to correct it
d james is offline  
post #79 of 120 Old 01-09-2019, 01:07 AM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post
I get crosstalk on my lg passive, and vizio pretty bad especially jaws 3d, my oled lg, zero crosstalk, by far the best 3d I've seen, my 3d pj dlp 144 has zero crosstalk, looks better than anything else I've seen except the oled, but yeah definitely need to adjust the tv for vertical on passive, I need to do what your doing with the tilting wall bracket, glad to hear it works good to correct it
If you have a 2016 OLED the OTW420B EZ Slim Wall Mount is recommended for this and should be pretty cheap now and is a lot better quality over generic brackets. It gets about 10-15 degrees tilt which is enough to get the TV aligned to where you are sitting within reason to sort out any obvious crosstalk that is due to your viewing position.
dfa973 likes this.
PCummins is offline  
post #80 of 120 Old 01-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
If you have a 2016 OLED the OTW420B EZ Slim Wall Mount is recommended for this and should be pretty cheap now and is a lot better quality over generic brackets. It gets about 10-15 degrees tilt which is enough to get the TV aligned to where you are sitting within reason to sort out any obvious crosstalk that is due to your viewing position.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check that out. Now off i could only get people to take their 3d tv and move it from above the fireplace to a normal position, had a few acquaintances who just wouldn't get that they are not seeing the 3d correctly. I'll never get why someone would want to look up watching tv
d james is offline  
post #81 of 120 Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Because most people don't let the TV dictate where or how it can be mounted. Rather, mount your TV where ever you want and however you want - just get the correct TV.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
brazen1 is offline  
post #82 of 120 Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Regardless of where it is mounted, a 3D TV should be mounted (eg. tilted) so that it is perpendicular to the eye, and centered to the eye. Otherwise, you could get crosstalk.
3DBob is offline  
post #83 of 120 Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I don't understand why anyone would want to mount a TV in a very high "sports bar" type position. For 2D or 3D, it is a literal pain in the neck. Those complaining of crosstalk with passive sets are likely guilty of this, or were unlucky enough to get a set with a misaligned polarizing filter. I've got three passive displays, and they rock. That said, I've got an active projector which also rocks....no flicker or eye strain.
Steve P. is offline  
post #84 of 120 Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Well, the thing is that TVs are so light and mountable that instead of having to put the tv on the floor, you can put it on the wall. This means the tv is no longer the center of the room and everything has to be pushed to the outside edge, things like fireplaces and such. (It's hard to lift a big CRT tv so they rarely were more than a couple of feet off the floor - too low to put much more than a stereo below them)

But with modern TVs they are super light, so it's really easy to mount. This means ancillary things like fireplaces no longer have to be put in a corner or the side of the room where few can enjoy the warmth (important if you've got 4 seasons). Now fireplaces have retuned to the center of attention and you can put furniture around it so when it's on, everyone gets to enjoy. Unfortunately, that means the tv has to go above it so everyone can enjoy the heat and the tv.

You can see the design change by looking at houses built in the 90s where CRT was king - there will often be a plain wall where you're expected to put the tv and the stand and audio systems. Things like fireplaces were moved to the side wall or the corner. But in the 2000s things changed - no longer is there a blank wall, but often the fireplace is now center, and a deep nook for a tv on a stand, as well as equipment nooks beside the fireplace (and often a conduit between the two, so you can run cabling from the equipment to the tv). This has made room design easier because the popularity if the open plan means you generally get two walls for a living space - one will have windows to admire the view, while the other wall is where the tv and equipment go, and the third and fourth walls would just lead to other spaces.

And yes, people like this because no longer is the tv the center of the room layout.
Worf is online now  
post #85 of 120 Old 01-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post
I'll never get why someone would want to look up watching tv
Because people think TVs are wall decoration like paintings, sculpture, wall clocks, etc. They are not -- they are appliances. If I had a mini-fridge that would fit on my fireplace mantel that doesn't mean I would put it there.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #86 of 120 Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I am sure Chiropractors love the new trend.
Steve P. is offline  
post #87 of 120 Old 01-10-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to mount a TV in a very high "sports bar" type position. For 2D or 3D, it is a literal pain in the neck. Those complaining of crosstalk with passive sets are likely guilty of this, or were unlucky enough to get a set with a misaligned polarizing filter. I've got three passive displays, and they rock. That said, I've got an active projector which also rocks....no flicker or eye strain.
Because my house was built before TV's were invented. So the idea of a TV being the center of the room hadn't been realized yet, only radio which didn't need as much space. Fortunately, I have enough room in basement for another flat screen and projector combo with 7.1 audio, but in living room it's over the fireplace or not at all. And that means I don't really watch 3D there any more because of the angle and height.

And what's old is new again, a lot of new houses are again built with fireplaces as the centerpiece.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #88 of 120 Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I put our 55" 3D TV next to the fireplace at eye level, but I watch all 3D movies in the man cave in the basement on the big screen. The rest of the family doesn't like 3D...
3DBob is offline  
post #89 of 120 Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
It's a shame they waste one of their eyes like that.
brazen1, danlshane and Kenbar like this.
Steve P. is offline  
post #90 of 120 Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Just to provide full disclosure, we do have a fireplace in our living room with a Regulator-style clock hung above the mantel. There is no bare wall in the room to accommodate a mounted TV, so we have our 65" OLED set sitting on wooden cabinet/TV stand. The height is just right and serves us well. There is a pass-thru window behind the TV that provides access to the dining room, but we simply don't use that.

It is hard to imagine any room that does not allow for TV placement closer to the floor, even if it is in front of a window, but I suppose it is possible. I lived in one house that required the TV to be positioned in an archway, but we just put a wooden screen behind it.

I would be interested to know how tomtastic managed to put a TV above his fireplace before flat-screens came along.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off