4K 3D TVs still available - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #121 of 136 Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any reason to believe there will be new 4K 3D TVs in the future? It is disappointing seeing all these nice, inexpensive 4K TVs with 3D nowhere to be found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 136 Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post
Any reason to believe there will be new 4K 3D TVs in the future?
No, no reason. The current 3D TV cycle has begun in 2009 and ended in 2016. The consumer interest for 3D at home is low. Maybe when 3D at home will become painless - auto stereoscopy - then the 3D TVs will come back again. Right now the auto stereoscopy TVs are not impressive and cannot truly replace the active/passive 3D TVs that we know. We just have to give time for the auto stereoscopy tech to evolve enough.

Quote:
It is disappointing seeing all these nice, inexpensive 4K TVs with 3D nowhere to be found.
I feel your pain!
mavericks64, jashotwe1 and CopyRon like this.
post #123 of 136 Old 12-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Any reason to believe there will be new 4K 3D TVs in the future? It is disappointing seeing all these nice, inexpensive 4K TVs with 3D nowhere to be found.

Given the low cost, I'm surprised no manufacturer has added 3D capability to its flagship set. There's a loyal band of 3D enthusiasts just waiting to buy those up! If I could make it work in my space, I'd purchase a 3D projector, but preparing my space for a projector is going to take some doing. (That being said, if we don't see a 3D capable TV in the next couple of years, I may make the effort!)
mavericks64, jashotwe1 and CopyRon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 136 Old 01-09-2020, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Auteur View Post
Given the low cost, I'm surprised no manufacturer has added 3D capability to its flagship set. There's a loyal band of 3D enthusiasts just waiting to buy those up! If I could make it work in my space, I'd purchase a 3D projector, but preparing my space for a projector is going to take some doing. (That being said, if we don't see a 3D capable TV in the next couple of years, I may make the effort!)
I completely agree. How much could it cost to add 3d (active) capability to a high end / flagship set. Maybe some manufactures have it in mind and want some more time to go by for a TV upgrade cycle...even if they added it for just a year. Hands down they would get a decent sales increase for that particular model.
mavericks64 and CopyRon like this.

John
post #125 of 136 Old 01-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufters View Post
I completely agree. How much could it cost to add 3d (active) capability to a high end / flagship set. Maybe some manufactures have it in mind and want some more time to go by for a TV upgrade cycle...even if they added it for just a year. Hands down they would get a decent sales increase for that particular model.
They would certainly get an initial surge in purchases from us die-hards who want to future-proof our 3-D setups, but the A/V retail industry is not about providing what the customer wants. It's all about providing what they want to persuade you that you "need."

LG and the other manufacturers would prefer that we just forget that 3-D tech ever existed. That was the big push in 2010, but today's marketeers have no desire to preserve any sort of legacy. It's only important to be trendy, and that means new stuff, new stuff, new stuff whether we need it or not. This year it's 8K, and there aren't any human eyeballs that can see a discernible difference between that and the 4K sets we already own.
lufters, pilot999 and CopyRon like this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #126 of 136 Old 01-10-2020, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 627
It's not about ability and cost to do it, it's about aftermarket costs and warranty, and they had a warranty network setup with parts, etc. All that is disappearing, because warranties were usually 3 years at most. So fixing a 3D TV is specialty service and expensive. We have to remember that selling a product involves more than just throwing parts together and making it available on the street. That said, active shutter 3D takes a switching module and software, plus glasses, capable remote, instructions and viewers who are smart enough to use it. My neighbor and another friend both bought active-shutter 3D TVs and they never could get the glasses to work right or figure out how to invoke 3D TV on their TVs. I tried to help them, but they just couldn't get it. Neither of them watched more than a few minutes of 3D--it was a wasted investment for them and probably millions of other people that still sit in front of their active 3D sets. Passive sets were a little easier to use, but I have to say, my passive set requires some knowledge of 3D to set it up properly, and it's not just a turn it on, throw a 3D bluray in the player and watch 3D venue. Plus many of these were 4K sets having the passive 1080 parallax screen layer mounted off center creating a lot of ghosts and it was nightmare to fix by the manufacturers. Add more pixels and you have even a bigger nightmare.
dfa973 and CopyRon like this.
post #127 of 136 Old 01-10-2020, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Passive sets were a little easier to use, but I have to say, my passive set requires some knowledge of 3D to set it up properly, and it's not just a turn it on, throw a 3D bluray in the player and watch 3D venue. Plus many of these were 4K sets having the passive 1080 parallax screen layer mounted off center creating a lot of ghosts and it was nightmare to fix by the manufacturers. Add more pixels and you have even a bigger nightmare.
I've never really had any issues with Passive 3D on the LG TV's I own - simply get a PS4/PS3, direct connect it and it auto-switches 3D on/off as required for 3D Blu-Ray. For other media simply use the remote to switch to the correct 3D format (SBS/OU/Converted), couldn't be really that much simpler. Active was more complicated with pairing glasses and checking batteries but was able to make it work without too much of an issue. Agree with the FPR film, once it was on there wasn't a lot you could do to get it fixed besides swapping the TV out, a lot of people didn't have the know-how or luxury to check the film alignment once it was out of the box, it really needed checking as it was applied at the factory.
dfa973 likes this.
post #128 of 136 Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
I've never really had any issues with Passive 3D on the LG TV's I own - simply get a PS4/PS3, direct connect it and it auto-switches 3D on/off as required for 3D Blu-Ray. For other media simply use the remote to switch to the correct 3D format (SBS/OU/Converted), couldn't be really that much simpler. Active was more complicated with pairing glasses and checking batteries but was able to make it work without too much of an issue. Agree with the FPR film, once it was on there wasn't a lot you could do to get it fixed besides swapping the TV out, a lot of people didn't have the know-how or luxury to check the film alignment once it was out of the box, it really needed checking as it was applied at the factory.
For us 3D geeks it's easy . I have a LG and yup, put in a 3D bluray and it seems to work okay, but once the image is on the screen, it can be problematic--reverse eye, depth wrong and other issues that the average person isn't going to have a clue about. As for format changes like SBS/OU/Converted--sure you and I know what those are and how they work, again jo shmo (my neighbor and another friend) don't have a clue what they mean. You should see their reaction when I talk to them about 1080p and 4K and what that means . In fact, they don't really understand what the double image on the screen is, or that it represents left/right eye images. I'm not saying that some people can't understand it, just that the general public hasn't a clue. If you think 3D controls are really easy, you should see my neighbor try to tweak just a normal 2D picture. He doesn't have a clue how brightness and contrast relate, color adjustments, etc. You'd think after all these years of having a TV, he would get it, but he doesn't, and he's got a pretty average IQ and understanding of mechanical things. Just for grins, I had my wife use the LG remote, go into the controls and try to adjust 3D, and even 2D. That remote went flying across the room ..
dfa973 and CopyRon like this.
post #129 of 136 Old 01-12-2020, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
For us 3D geeks it's easy . I have a LG and yup, put in a 3D bluray and it seems to work okay, but once the image is on the screen, it can be problematic--reverse eye, depth wrong and other issues that the average person isn't going to have a clue about. ... I'm not saying that some people can't understand it, just that the general public hasn't a clue.
My experience is usually the problem is finding the glasses (Active is harder now vs Passive) and then borrowing/buying/viewing some 3D content to demo what 3D is all about. For someone with a Passive 3D TV it's pretty easy to get glasses and content but admittedly the person has to be moderately invested in checking it out, the technical barriers to doing so is not as insurmountable as suggested. I've had more luck demoing 3D on my TV on the odd movie nights which raises interest in the format but generally most people are happy to not worry about 3D as they just don't find it all that compelling or just haven't seen a really good 3D film that lends itself to the 3D format (ie animation or other highly rated 3D films) as most directors have been pretty conservative in their 3D use overall.
post #130 of 136 Old 04-13-2020, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think if a TV manufacturer nowadays would add #D to one of their 4K TVs, i bet you they would sell out in an instant till the hardcore 3D fans take them all. Then they will sit a while. But even then, they still a 4k TV so its just there if you want, even if you dont use it. I wouldnt even mind paying an extra 500 for it if it had it.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC13 Ultra & PC12 Plus;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4K;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #131 of 136 Old 04-14-2020, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was curios to see if there is any 4K and 3D TV left (used or New). Today i took some time to research and all i could find was pretty much just on Ebay and Amazon marketplace most of them super overpriced. 65" Sony XBR-850A (2013), 65" XBR-900A (2013) super expensive marked as new, 75" XBR-850C (2015) expensive for a used set, a few 75" XBR-940C (2015) , 55"/65" XBR-930D (2016) this one the price was not bad. Found a few LG 65" OLED E6P passive sets (2016 model) 65" C6P (Curved model 2016) said to be the best in 3D, one had a burn-in in one of the corners. Did not look for any Samsung models. Very risky business to invest in any of those, most sets are used or refurbished unfortunately. I want to upgrade my 2011 82" DLP Mitsubishi that is sitting in the living room in the next year or 2 but not having any 3DTV options i may be forced to look into projectors.

Last edited by BLMN; 04-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.
post #132 of 136 Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 661
They're expensive because they're the few models that do 3d and thus limited supply. They are literally collectors items now hence the inflated prices
post #133 of 136 Old 04-15-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 587
I would go projector if you can manage the setup for it. I have a 2016 65" E6, but I still watch movies on the projector. Hard to beat the screen size of projectors.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #134 of 136 Old 04-16-2020, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I would go projector if you can manage the setup for it. I have a 2016 65" E6, but I still watch movies on the projector. Hard to beat the screen size of projectors.

I've been looking at some UST projectors, those will fit nicely in my living room. Optoma CinemaX P1 and Vava can do 4k (HDR) and 3D and below $5k.
post #135 of 136 Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any idea on how to find a 3D TV in good condition? My father-in-laws is dying and he loves that thing.
post #136 of 136 Old 05-22-2020, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
Any idea on how to find a 3D TV in good condition? My father-in-laws is dying and he loves that thing.
They sometimes pop up on ebay and Amazon, also check out the classified on this forum. Also Craig's list. The problem is shipping and making sure you get a good one, and not one that has a bad passive screen causing ghosts. Also search: 3D stereo forum

And buyer beware...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page