Stream TV Glasses-Free 3D at CES 2018 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #31 of 155 Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Whew, the smoke in here is pretty thick. I need to get me a new mirror, too...

Sorry, couldn't resist. When I see the same story posted several years in a row, the promises are always just around the corner. With 4k TV manufacturers declaring war on 3D, and such a light showing of VR stuff at CES, I'd say this has as much chance of showing up as the next Avatar movies being shown in glasses free theaters as Cameron has promised...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 155 Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Whew, the smoke in here is pretty thick. I need to get me a new mirror, too...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. When I see the same story posted several years in a row, the promises are always just around the corner. With 4k TV manufacturers declaring war on 3D, and such a light showing of VR stuff at CES, I'd say this has as much chance of showing up as the next Avatar movies being shown in glasses free theaters as Cameron has promised...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Agree if it were just a press release....but this was actually being demonstrated live. Now it may be expensive but there is no doubt that the tech is very REAL.
post #33 of 155 Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Would be nice if they'd give us a ball park figure on price. I want to know because if they're too much I may just pick up a LG if I can find one in the next month or I might just hold out for glasses-free. This might actually be a way to get people who don't like 3D or wearing glasses to view 3D in my living room. I pretty much don't bother with 3D there any more. I'm pretty hyped up about it because we've pretty much reached the point where 3D isn't going to return as-is. We need something that makes it better/easier for casual viewers, glasses free is the only way to get there. So the technology needs to advance in this respect before 3D returns, at least in the masses and even then it won't be the push it had after Avatar.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 155 Old 01-24-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 249
This could be a HUGE deal. It converts everything, so no need for 3D movies. A true 3D TV! No glasses, no more spending far more, for 3D Blu-rays.

3D currently is a pain in the rear. The glasses just suck to deal with.

I can't even imagine what gaming would be like. I want this tech for this the most.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: BeyondMaxPower---- Vizio P75-C1    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Pioneer SC-72   Sony BDP-S790 Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, Astro Mixamp 2013, Soundblaster X7 (Sparkos Op Amps), Schiit Modi Multibit/Magni, LTA MicroZOTL2 headphone amp, Hifiman HE-X V2, AKG K702 65th Anniversary, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, Monoprice Monolith M1060 (Vegan pads), DT990 Pro 250 ohm, Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX and PC37X Audio Technica ATH-M50x Antlion ModMic
post #35 of 155 Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
This could be a HUGE deal. It converts everything, so no need for 3D movies. A true 3D TV! No glasses, no more spending far more, for 3D Blu-rays.

3D currently is a pain in the rear. The glasses just suck to deal with.

I can't even imagine what gaming would be like. I want this tech for this the most.
There are already TVs and Blu-ray players that perform 2D->3D conversion, and the effect is never very good. Don't expect consumer-priced electronics to be able to do what studio software can, and certainly don't imagine that it can duplicate what the best true stereo cinematography achieves.

And please don't assume everyone is averse to wearing every kind of glasses to view 3D. The passive glasses I wear to view my LG OLED TV are no bother. Glasses-free tech will possibly increase the appeal of 3D for some, but I'm still of the mind that most Americans just don't care about the format. And unless the studios can make an extra buck off of it they *definitely* don't care.
King Vidiot likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #36 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Actually, I will say the stream tv 2d to 3d converter is surprisingly good. It won't get you eye watering pop out from a 2d scene, but it does a reasonable effort at separating the background from the foreground and in-between. Real 3d video input is preferred, because it is able to make pop outs, as well as get finer gradations in the depth. But it produces a watchable image and won't have you scrambling to turn it off because it made things look strange.

Among the converters I've seen, it's one of the best. It's also heavily patented I believe. I only briefly saw a schematic of how it worked ages ago. I wish they made it available separately.
post #37 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Yeah..., at every major technology upgrade there are many, many negative voices that mainly say that:

"We don't need that «whatever», what we got is enough"...

Let's see:

Horses to Trains/Cars
Mono to Stereo Sound
Vinyl to Tape
B/W to Colour
Stereo to Multichannel
SD 480 to HD 720
Tape to CD
HD to FullHD
CD/VCD to DVD-A/DVD-Video
Monoscopic to Stereoscopic Image
FullHD to UltraHD
SDR to HDR
2D Sound to 3D Sound
4K to 8K

and so on, and on, and on...
There is such a thing as the law of diminishing returns.
There were horses, then trains, automobiles, then airplanes, then helicopters then supersonic... except we don't really need that much, we're fine with regular planes.

In the audio/video department : the human ear can barely hear anything beyond CD quality, the market for "better than CD" formats is a tiny niche and the benefits are mostly from using a more audiophile mastering, and little to do with the technical capabilities of the format.
5.1 Surround sound is a small fraction of the market, most people use the crappy tiny stereo speakers embedded in flat TVs.
7.1 and Atmos is an even smaller niche market and will remain that way.
There is even better surround tech : there is also ambisonics which has never been adopted by any manufacturer despite superior surround capabilities, there is the ultra-low subwoofer under the sofa shaking the seats, ... etc... etc...(it's arguably better audio, but no... we really don't need it)

In video, we didn't want HD for years either, mainly because TVs were small due to old bulky CRT technology.
It required the use of thin flat screens with Plasma & LCD panels with bigger surfaces to justify the switch to HD, and then the super wide 55 & 65 inch displays to justify 4K.
Manufacturers won't democratize 8K unless then figure a way to make their TVs even bigger. It may require the democratization of rollable OLED screens in order to allow easier shipping and installation of massive 80+inch TVs (probably the only practical way to sell a screen of this size to a wide audience, with bonus easier 2,35:1 manufacturing and shipping capability), to justify any switch to 8K.

In terms of releases, the vast majority of available content is still the good old DVD (just look at the size of the shelves at any store). BluRay is only a fraction of the shelves and only the blockbuster movies are produced in 4K.

Quote:
I'd say this has as much chance of showing up as the next Avatar movies being shown in glasses free theaters as Cameron has promised...
I've read so many people speaking about James Cameron's Avatar 2 and glasses free 3D, but every time I search for the actual quote he clearly does say anything like that about his requirements for the movie.
He only intends to show his movie with an increase the light output of 3D projectors (with glasses). The glasses-free 3D thing is only wishful thinking for the future.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #38 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
8K isn't useful for 2D TVs, but it's perfect for making Stream TV glasses-free 3D a consumer reality.

https://www.avsforum.com/stream-tv-gl...e-3d-ces-2018/
From the link "At CES 2018, the Stream TV glasses-free 3D demo was presented on a 65″ custom-built flat panel with 16 million pixels in a 4K x 4K array. The 2D image was generated by 8 million pixels, and the depth map used the other 8 million pixels."

Sounds like this could be potentially achievable in projectors with a native 4K DMD and XPR, no?
post #39 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
From the link "At CES 2018, the Stream TV glasses-free 3D demo was presented on a 65″ custom-built flat panel with 16 million pixels in a 4K x 4K array. The 2D image was generated by 8 million pixels, and the depth map used the other 8 million pixels."

Sounds like this could be potentially achievable in projectors with a native 4K DMD and XPR, no?
Regardless thou, when wearing glasses you can get 4feet/6feet popout or more, with these surely popout will be just inches from the screen if that, you might get good depth thou, anyway seen this in action and is there any popout to talk about even ?
post #40 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
I've read so many people speaking about James Cameron's Avatar 2 and glasses free 3D, but every time I search for the actual quote he clearly does say anything like that about his requirements for the movie.
He only intends to show his movie with an increase the light output of 3D projectors (with glasses). The glasses-free 3D thing is only wishful thinking for the future.
The exact quote was: "I'm going to push. Not only for better tools, workflow, high dynamic range and high frame rates — the things we are working toward. I'm still very bullish on 3D, but we need brighter projection, and ultimately I think it can happen — with no glasses. We'll get there."

Cameron's Lightstorm and Christie Digital are working together with 3D advancement but there is no guarantee that any of the next 4 Avatar films will be shown in glasses-free 3D. But the MIT article shows they're already coming up with ways to make it work. It's just a matter of time, will it happen before 2020? Almost certainly not. Before the last film releases? Still very unlikely and even if it does happen, it will be like the Halftime Walk movie that only a handful of screens around the world were equipped to handle the native HFR.

post #41 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Edit: Ha, Tom beat me to it. Well here is my two cents

Here is his quote: "I'm going to push. Not only for better tools, workflow, high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rates (HFR) --- the things we are working toward. I'm still very bullish on 3D, but we need brighter projection, and ultimately I think it can happen --- with no glasses. We'll get there."

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/jam...te-1201741677/

I actually listened in on a live conversation with Cameron last year and he basically said that again. He is working with Christie Digital to come up with the new glassless technology. He said they are very close to a solution: https://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/

He also said the reason it's taking so long to create the Avatar sequels is that he took a year and half to develop the technology for shooting motion capture 3D underwater since there will be many underwater scenes in the sequels. He said he now conquered that and shooting will continue at a fast rate now. He thinks 2020 is now the target year for release. http://collider.com/avatar-sequels-u...motion-capture
post #42 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
There is such a thing as the law of diminishing returns.
There were horses, then trains, automobiles, then airplanes, then helicopters then supersonic... except we don't really need that much, we're fine with regular planes.
You can not discern what is too much if you do not try to push the envelope.
You can not wait with the vinyl in your hand until the CD is invented, ignoring tape, cassette, etc.
There is no leap, only small steps.
post #43 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm only interested in this TV if it can show REAL 2-image 3D the same way current glasses-using displays can. I don't want it fake-converting a 2D image into 3D, I would still watch 2D material in 2D as it was meant to be seen anyways.
post #44 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vidiot View Post
I'm only interested in this TV if it can show REAL 2-image 3D the same way current glasses-using displays can. I don't want it fake-converting a 2D image into 3D, I would still watch 2D material in 2D as it was meant to be seen anyways.
Keep in mind it's likely the discs encoded for glasses free 3d could be adapted by the player for glasses 3d.

So this is worth supporting if it brings 3d back into USA mainstream to get more 3d content imo, even if u don't plan to use glasses free tech.
post #45 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I think many films would have enhanced my viewing pleasure if they were offered in 3D. I would accept a 2D>3D conversion if new tech looked acceptable. 'Interstellar' comes to mind.
luv_mist likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #46 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Keep in mind it's likely the discs encoded for glasses free 3d could be adapted by the player for glasses 3d.

So this is worth supporting if it brings 3d back into USA mainstream to get more 3d content imo, even if u don't plan to use glasses free tech.
All of the decoding is done inside the screen, not from the player or any special encoding on Blu ray 3D discs. The glasses free displays can accept frame packing signals as well as top/bottom or side by side and 2D to 3D conversion.

post #47 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
But the MIT article shows they're already coming up with ways to make it work.
Uuuuh... no.
The MIT thing which is all over the internet is a lenticular array. Same basic tech as all the other auto-stereo 3D displays out there. (and they shamefully claim that current state of the art of glasses-free 3D is the single view parallax barrier from the Nintendo 3DS in order to make their system look better).
And the following year, they claim they have invented the chip that converts between 3D formats. Amazing.... only 12 years after Philips offered the exact same thing in an actual working product. ("I see 3D" chip included with their glasses-free 3D displays)
Video from 2006 :

Philips WOWvx auto-stereo displays (2006), Dolby 3D glasses-free display (2013), Ultra-D Stream TV (current)... It's the exact same product with a higher resolution base panel and higher view-count lenticular array...
The fate of these products is already sealed. It's too expensive to take off, it's only real world application will be in retail to catch eyeballs.
The only hope for such a TV to compete with regular TVs is to have higher resolution panels falling out of the sky without any 2D usage.
It's not happening with 4K and in my opinion it won't happen with 8K either. Manufacturers will find a way to make people buy 8K 2D TVs (my guess is screen size 80" and higher).

Quote:
I actually listened in on a live conversation with Cameron last year and he basically said that again. He is working with Christie Digital to come up with the new glassless technology. He said they are very close to a solution: https://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/
I see a lot of people wearing 3D glasses on their website.

The Cameron - Christie - Glasses-free 3D connection looks like confirmation bias at it's finest. People hear what they want to hear, not what's actually being said.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 01-25-2018 at 03:49 PM.
post #48 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see a lot of people wearing 3D glasses on their website.

The Cameron - Christie - Glasses-free 3D connection looks like confirmation bias at it's finest. People hear what they want to hear, not what's actually being said.
Hmm, not sure if that was meant for me or not, so I will just let it go.

Anyway, this was said by Cameron in passing, and I'm sure Christie would not be touting tech that is under development with Cameron on their website since this is probably a patent-held collaboration between Christie and Lightstorm Entertainment (Cameron's company.)

https://www.christiedigital.com/en-u...-with-Christie
http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nach...lasses-200.htm

That said, I'm still not a believer that it is going to happen in a mainstream way, probably in just one theater in LA during the premiere of Avatar 2.
post #49 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Uuuuh... no.
The MIT thing which is all over the internet is a lenticular array. Same basic tech as all the other auto-stereo 3D displays out there..
The Cinema 3D tech by MIT is multiple parallax barriers and mirrors similar to polarized screens which has never been done on a large format screen like a movie theater. The multiple layers aren't to make the tech sound better it's to allow more viewing positions within the larger seating space. This is a new step forward.

post #50 of 155 Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 591
There is a 2d mode if you want to see 2d content without using the converter (2d as 2d).

3d mode takes in regular 3d stereo content via HDMI. Regular 3d discs work great. They also accept a USB stick with special converted videos on them.

And yes, the technology is derived from Philips - Philips ended the research and the employees working on it moved to Dolby or formed SeeCubic (before they got acquired by StreamTV). Both StreamTV and Dolby pay to license the technology from Philips.
JonW747 likes this.
post #51 of 155 Old 01-26-2018, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
The Cinema 3D tech by MIT is multiple parallax barriers and mirrors similar to polarized screens which has never been done on a large format screen like a movie theater. The multiple layers aren't to make the tech sound better it's to allow more viewing positions within the larger seating space. This is a new step forward.
Official news release by MIT about this tech : http://news.mit.edu/2016/glasses-fre...ger-scale-0725
It does not even include the link to the paper...

Quote:
“Existing approaches to glasses-free 3-D require screens whose resolution requirements are so enormous that they are completely impractical,”
Quoting the scientist. Current lenticular array systems work for a small audience in front of a TV but does not scale to an audience the size of a theatre. This is accurate.

Quote:
Glasses-free 3-D already exists, but not in a way that scales to movie theaters. Traditional methods for TV sets use a series of slits in front of the screen (a “parallax barrier”) that allows each eye to see a different set of pixels, creating a simulated sense of depth.
Fantasy from the PR guy who writes the press releases, he's describing the only glasses-free display tech he know of, which are speciality screens from the Nintendo 3DS, glasses-free 3DTVs use lenticular arrays, not parallax barriers.

Quote:
The key insight with Cinema 3D is that people in movie theaters move their heads only over a very small range of angles, limited by the width of their seat. Thus, it is enough to display images to a narrow range of angles and replicate that to all seats in the theater.
What Cinema 3D does, then, is encode multiple parallax barriers in one display, such that each viewer sees a parallax barrier tailored to their position. That range of views is then replicated across the theater by a series of mirrors and lenses within Cinema 3D’s special optics system.
The PR guy barely understands the underlying principle, uses the wrong words but the the idea gets across

Quote:
“With a 3-D TV, you have to account for people moving around to watch from different angles, which means that you have to divide up a limited number of pixels to be projected so that the viewer sees the image from wherever they are,” says Gordon Wetzstein, an assistant professor of electrical engineering at Stanford University, who was not involved in the research. “The authors [of Cinema 3D] cleverly exploited the fact that theaters have a unique set-up in which every person sits in a more or less fixed position the whole time.”
Quote:
“It remains to be seen whether the approach is financially feasible enough to scale up to a full-blown theater,” says Matusik. “But we are optimistic that this is an important next step in developing glasses-free 3-D for large spaces like movie theaters and auditoriums.”
Actual quotes from a different scientist who knows what he's talking about. !
So it's a custom made lens system, which must be tailored to each individual theatre seat configuration.
The thing is ridiculously complex, read between the lines : once they scale it to the size of a theatre it will probably be too expensive. They have no idea about how to make the price come down to be competitive with conventional screens + glasses.
Quote:
Cinema 3D isn’t particularly practical at the moment: The team’s prototype requires 50 sets of mirrors and lenses, and yet is just barely larger than a pad of paper. But, in theory, the technology could work in any context in which 3-D visuals would be shown to multiple people at the same time, such as billboards or storefront advertisements.
The reveal.... the "Cinema 3D" name is just a PR stunt. The actual prototype display is the size of a tablet !
The PR guy doesn't even understand that this thing will not scale and cites examples for which is tech is completely unusable for (billboards and storefront advertisment)

This thing is dead on arrival. And that's good.
Universities exist to do initial research, experiment and figure out how stuff works. If they find interesting things that are applicable to real world scenarios, the students fork out and create businesses to make it practicable and affordable.
If the tech is useless, then they start researching something else.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #52 of 155 Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyway, this was said by Cameron in passing, and I'm sure Christie would not be touting tech that is under development with Cameron on their website since this is probably a patent-held collaboration between Christie and Lightstorm Entertainment (Cameron's company.)

https://www.christiedigital.com/en-u...-with-Christie
http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nach...lasses-200.htm
I'd say the opposite, if they had a revolutionary new way to produce glasses free 3D, they would be publishing their patent and boasting about it so that theatres would postpone any projector purchase from competition and contact Christie to get in line to buy the first projectors available.

Translating Chistie's press release into every day english.
James Cameron previously leased projectors from Christie for his production studios.
He's renewing his lease contract with the latest Christie projectors equipped with the best technologies of the current market (higher frame rates, HDR support, Dolby Vision certification etc...), the deal includes early access to their newest prototype projector with a more efficient RGB laser light source. (translates probably better as "brighter" since it's James Cameron's biggest interest).
No glasses-free 3D, no revolutionary stuff in here.

The other article is from the great rumour factories of Hollywood (agents), non-technical people who have had 3rd rate mouth to hear description of stuff they don't understand.
The guy probably had a conversation with James Cameron where they discussed about all the 3D tech he's working on (since he's at the forefront of 3D, he's probably trying every tech out there) and mixed everything up. Resulting in the completely erroneous "Avatar 2 in glass-free 3D" news.

Passive 3D, forever !

Last edited by BlackShark; 01-26-2018 at 03:55 AM.
post #53 of 155 Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd say the opposite, if they had a revolutionary new way to produce glasses free 3D, they would be publishing their patent and boasting about it so that theatres would postpone any projector purchase from competition and contact Christie to get in line to buy the first projectors available.

Translating Chistie's press release into every day english.
James Cameron previously leased projectors from Christie for his production studios.
He's renewing his lease contract with the latest Christie projectors equipped with the best technologies of the current market (higher frame rates, HDR support, Dolby Vision certification etc...), the deal includes early access to their newest prototype projector with a more efficient RGB laser light source. (translates probably better as "brighter" since it's James Cameron's biggest interest).
No glasses-free 3D, no revolutionary stuff in here.

The other article is from the great rumour factories of Hollywood (agents), non-technical people who have had 3rd rate mouth to hear description of stuff they don't understand.
The guy probably had a conversation with James Cameron where they discussed about all the 3D tech he's working on (since he's at the forefront of 3D, he's probably trying every tech out there) and mixed everything up. Resulting in the completely erroneous "Avatar 2 in glass-free 3D" news.
Cameron's statement was that glasses-free 3D was the ultimate goal, not that Avatar 2-5 would be released in glasses-free 3D, even potentially. Since it's 2-7 years away, it isn't something I would care to guess on. That's a long time for tech to develop. Whether or not the MIT tech happens, I guess we'll find out in 7-10 years.
BlackShark and 3DBob like this.

post #54 of 155 Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
In terms of releases, the vast majority of available content is still the good old DVD (just look at the size of the shelves at any store). BluRay is only a fraction of the shelves and only the blockbuster movies are produced in 4K
Where do you shop that the majority of movies are still DVD? My local Best Buy is 98% Blu Ray and UHD and far more than just the blockbusters are in 4K.

Last edited by raynist; 01-26-2018 at 11:10 PM.
post #55 of 155 Old 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Where do you shop that the majority of movies are still DVD? My local Best Buy is 98% Blu Ray and UHD and far more than just the blockbusters are in 4K.
I visited a BestBuy store only once during a tourism visit in Canada. Didn't look at the movies section. I was searching for an Hdmi cable. They were only selling CA$40 2metre cable, their own brand, not even takling about the placebo monster cable. I ran away. It's a pretty good hint they target the high end market and not the general market.

I usually shop for movies at the following places (France) :
FNAC, a major movie/music/book chain of stores located in city centres. I often visit 2 of them in 2 different cities across France
Carrefour, Auchan, Casino, chains of supermarkets of various sizes (the larger of which are implemented as anchor stores in suburban malls). I visit two of the larger ones located on the way from my home to work.
My local street corner mini-market (mostly a food store, sometimes has a minuscule shelf of discounted movies, no UHD nor 3D in there ever).
My workplace associative movie rent service : DVDs only.

I won't talk about family and friends purchases, too anecdotal to count.
I don't have sales stats... but I do know the store managers always scale the size of the shelves according to their sales. Especially the bigger stores.
And those tell me that DVD sales still dominate. (they also tell me that the Disney Corporation has an extra-ordinary power of influence to take massive shelf space for their classic animation titles)
gain3 likes this.

Passive 3D, forever !

Last edited by BlackShark; 01-27-2018 at 09:53 AM.
post #56 of 155 Old 01-27-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
I visited a BestBuy store only once during a tourism visit in Canada. Didn't look at the movies section. I was searching for an Hdmi cable. They were only selling CA$40 2metre cable, their own brand, not even takling about the placebo monster cable. I ran away. It's a pretty good hint they target the high end market and not the general market.

I usually shop for movies at the following places (France) :
FNAC, a major movie/music/book chain of stores located in city centres. I often visit 2 of them in 2 different cities across France
Carrefour, Auchan, Casino, chains of supermarkets of various sizes (the larger of which are implemented as anchor stores in suburban malls). I visit two of the larger ones located on the way from my home to work.
My local street corner mini-market (mostly a food store, sometimes has a minuscule shelf of discounted movies, no UHD nor 3D in there ever).
My workplace associative movie rent service : DVDs only.

I won't talk about family and friends purchases, too anecdotal to count.
I don't have sales stats... but I do know the store managers always scale the size of the shelves according to their sales. Especially the bigger stores.
And those tell me that DVD sales still dominate. (they also tell me that the Disney Corporation has an extra-ordinary power of influence to take massive shelf space for their classic animation titles)
I am at Best Buy as I type this. Almost no regular DVD movies. Only new release they have in DVD is Valerian. The only other movies on DVD are older kids movies.

Best Buy is definitely not high end. They are overpriced for HDMI cables in store though.
post #57 of 155 Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Sometime in the early 1990's I heard that HD was on its way. About 16 years later (2004) I purchased an HD-DVD player and whatever discs were available at the time. In 2010 3D was resurrected and again I jumped in big time. A few years later 4K came along and in 2017 I purchased two 2016 65" OLED T.V.s. BTW these T.V.s have really good 2D to 3D conversion -- customize the settings so that point-of-view is set to -6 or -7 and depth is set to +12 or so. You end up with a very realistic 3D image with great depth that's very bright and obviously with amazing contrast and black levels. Changes take time; however, changes are coming quicker so maybe there's hope for me that I'll still be on planet earth when glassless 3D arrives.

Glassless 3D monitors are coming and hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later and it will be a revolution in how consumers view content. Anyone who gets to see properly set up 3D -- meaning bright, cross-talk free with great contrast/black levels --- is in for a real treat.

If glasses-free 3D works as hyped then most manufacturers will jump in and other display T.V. technologies will follow suite.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 02-09-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #58 of 155 Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's Deja Vu all over again...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Let's hope 3D returns bigger and better.
gain3 likes this.
post #59 of 155 Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I want 4 eyes free 3D & I want it now darn it!

I love 3D & is why I bought an LG OLED 3D [2016] late last year. Really like its 2D->3D conversion feature, some games & movies look good with it & others don't, but still, love having that option.

Hope this latest 3D Tech takes off & becomes a reality in near future.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #60 of 155 Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSKILZ View Post
I want 4 eyes free 3D & I want it now darn it!

I love 3D & is why I bought an LG OLED 3D [2016] late last year. Really like its 2D->3D conversion feature, some games & movies look good with it & others don't, but still, love having that option.

Hope this latest 3D Tech takes off & becomes a reality in near future.
Just a suggestion about the 2D to 3D conversion. If you haven't already customized the 2D to 3D conversion give the following settings a try -- point-of view setting to -5 or -6 and the depth setting to +12 to +17. With these settings I'm now watching everything 2D converted to 3D. LG did not market their 3D properly! I'm still flabbergasted at just how good this TV is, especially with 3D and 2D to 3D conversion.

I own some 4K HDR discs and have watched some DV on Netflix with the LG and it looks great but it cannot (IMO) compare to what 3D and 2D to 3D conversion looks like. And yes the TV will convert everything except DV material to 3D (includes 4K and 4K HDR material). For the DV material I just use a UHD player that's not compatible with DV and convert to 3D.
3DBob likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 02-15-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
ces 2018 , glasses-free 3d , stream tv , ultra-d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page