Stream TV Glasses-Free 3D at CES 2018 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #151 of 155 Old 11-10-2019, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 591
When I worked with it, it was not as strong. If you thought today's 3d was conservative, the screen was even more so. You could crank it up, but do it too far and you would get nauseous. So given it ran in 3d all the time, it was dialled down so practically everyone could walk by without getting sick. Unlike a normal 3dtv which was only displaying it with glasses and a blurry mess without, or 2d, the display was always on 3d, like a portal to another world.

It worked with standard stereoscopic sources over HDMI - frame packing format preferred, but top/bottom or side by side was workable too. There was a built in 2d to 3d converter that worked surprisingly well, though it was even more subtle. You knew it was showing depth, but it wasn't trying to apply gobs of it to make it seem ridiculous.

Of course, I didn't have a 3dtv to compare it with - there was no business case to get one, so work never got one.

When I needed to demo it, I always used Pacific Rim for my 3d content demos, while I usually used either Shooter or Now You See Me for the 2d to 3d real time conversion demos. Landscapes seemed to work well, because the natural perspective augmented the effect.

Alas, it's been a few years since I worked with it. And by that time, 3dtvs were becoming extinct. I will report that when I went to watch a 3d movie I wondered what the glasses were for - I had gotten so used to glasses free 3d that I forgot glasses were still the norm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 155 Old 11-10-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Yeah, that's the way I am with my phone. It's just 3D, no glasses. In fact I probably see more 3D on my phone right now than anything else. I think the Leia screen is pretty good, but not on the level of glasses 3D. I wonder if there's something different about Ultra D, different meaning not as convincing. Leia, I don't see any of this waviness talked about. But the image does readjust for different viewing angles as you move the device or your angle to it and there is a slight shimmer if you're not in the correct viewing angle. Straight on viewing is best of course and it's a pretty clear image with a decent amount of 3D range, but it can show crosstalk, probably more than most glasses 3D options before.

I can see these two going head to head on the glasses-free 3D market. The Leia screen is sharp all the way through unless the image has some intentional shallow depth in the shot. But there's no word on when larger screens are coming. Only news has been that RED CEO pulled the plug on the Hydrogen program. But the screen supplier Leia is still making products, fortunately. I really can't wait to see what a larger format would offer. I have a feeling it's a step ahead of Ultra D, but I haven't seen Ultra D to compare plus the size difference.
dfa973 likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #153 of 155 Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 591
The waviness happens when you're really close to the screen - they're a result of the multiview optical film. Once you're in the sweet spot it's gone. The technology allows for a 179 degree viewing angle screen - while 3d shows up in the central 120 degrees, the people on the edge get a 2d image. Go too far back and the image degenerates back to 2d as the multiview is too spread out.

But at no point is the image unwatchable to anyone. And it's a wide enough sweet spot so you can have a small crowd of people watching. Though a few times I had to gather the group together because they spread out for the demos and wonder why they can't see the 3d.
dfa973 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 155 Old 11-13-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Looking Glass revealed its latest holographic display – the Looking Glass 8K Immersive Display.

For those unfamiliar, Looking Glass isn’t traditional AR or VR but provides a method of viewing 3D content without the need for head-worn gear.

The newest display is measured at 32 inches and provides multiple perspectives for 3D content which can be viewed by multiple people in the room without any additional headsets or head tracking. Looking Glass displays typically generate “45 distinct and simultaneous perspectives of three-dimensional content” with the new 8K version said to offer “33.2 million pixels…with over a billion-count color gamut at 60 Hz.”

More at https://uploadvr.com/looking-glass-holographic/
post #155 of 155 Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Looking Glass revealed its latest holographic display – the Looking Glass 8K Immersive Display.

For those unfamiliar, Looking Glass isn’t traditional AR or VR but provides a method of viewing 3D content without the need for head-worn gear.

The newest display is measured at 32 inches and provides multiple perspectives for 3D content which can be viewed by multiple people in the room without any additional headsets or head tracking. Looking Glass displays typically generate “45 distinct and simultaneous perspectives of three-dimensional content” with the new 8K version said to offer “33.2 million pixels…with over a billion-count color gamut at 60 Hz.”

More at https://uploadvr.com/looking-glass-holographic/
In a world of impossibly thin flat panels, I'm not sure where a volumetric product like this could exist in the market. It might have uses for 3D modeling, that appears to be their target. But for displaying traditional stereoscopic 3D content that we view, not likely to become mainstream due to its shoe-box shape and limited viewing angles. These are better for single-use purpose, developing or viewing.

And I have to point out the obvious fact, it's a step in the wrong direction. I would rather slap on a pair of glasses than view something in a box.
Steve P., Car67 and CopyRon like this.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
ces 2018 , glasses-free 3d , stream tv , ultra-d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page