How To: Rip 3D Blu-ray full resolution for LG 4K 3D for native Plex playback - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 03-26-2018, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 275
How To: Rip 3D Blu-ray full resolution for native Plex playback on LG 4K 3D

This is a tutorial for ripping and converting 3DBDs so they will play back seamlessly and natively on the 2016 LG OLED 3D 4K TVs via Plex app in full resolution, not half. It will work on other LG 4K 3D TVs with one different setting changed. This procedure is extremely unlikely to work on other TVs as written, although it may do so with some setting changes.

My goal was to play full-resolution BD3D rips on my LG with no HTPC, no specialized media player boxes, and with a "family-friendly" user interface for playback, such as from media library software like Plex. It took a lot of research and testing, but I succeeded. All software used in the process is currently free. I'm sharing a writeup in case it helps others with a similar goal to get there.

As a secondary goal, I also needed a way to play back region-locked 3D imports like Terminator 2 that I would not otherwise be able to watch with my region-locked disc player.

This is very much not the definitive way to play back 3D rips--this tutorial is for people with similar equipment and goals as I have, as stated in the title.

Overview:

At a high level, once you are past the first time set up, this is basically a 2-step process:
  • Use MakeMKV to rip the 3D Blu-ray to a MVC MKV file
  • Use BD3D2MK3D to convert the MVC MKV file to an MKV file that Plex and the TV will play back

Notes:
  • I have an LG OLED65E6P and playback is seamless as it is for 2D titles. Just select the title in Plex and play. 3D mode automatically turns on and off.
  • This procedure is for full-resolution playback, not the more common half resolution.
  • The files you produce are extremely unlikely to work with other TVs and projectors. These are not future-proof for other hardware at all.
  • As with all conversions, some quality will be lost, but I cannot tell the difference.
  • You can rip all the audio tracks if you like, so for example in Plex you can select other languages or the director's commentary track if you like.
  • Subtitle support is sort of there, but not great. I will elaborate below.
  • All menus, commercials, FBI warnings, etc., will be lost. (Extras can be included, if you care to do so.)

Prerequisites:
  • LG 3D 4K TV
  • A Plex media server installed and working (live transcoding is not required, so relatively weak Plex servers are fine)
  • Plex app installed and working on the TV
  • Windows computer for ripping and converting

Download Software:
One-Time Setup:
  • Install the above software.
  • In Plex I suggest adding a new and separate Movie Library for 3D Movies that points at a separate folder called "3D Movies". I prefer to have my 2D movies and 3D movies listed separately.
  • In MakeMKV:
    - I suggest going into the settings and set your preferred language(s), otherwise for every single disc you will have to manually deselect audio tracks and subtitles for all the languages that you don't care to keep.
    - I suggest going into the settings and set your preferred output destination folder, otherwise you will have to manually select it for every rip.
  • In BD3D2MK3D:
    - Tab 1, change from disc mode to MKV mode, then open the MKV file you ripped.
    - Tab 5, for Steroscopy unselect Half and set Top & Bottom. (Side-by-Side and Frame Sequential also work just fine, see Optional section below for more information.)
    - Tab 5, set the CRF/Quantizer to the quality you would like. I typically leave it at the default 23 unless there is a "reference" movie that I really care about, in which case I set it to 20 (which is an arbitrary choice of mine, and honestly I cannot tell the difference anyway).
    - Tab 5, set Save the final MKV file in the folder specified below.
    - Tab 5, set Output (MKV) folder to your Plex 3D Library folder.
    - Tab 5, enable When encoding is finished mux to MKV file, and close command prompt.
  • In the Settings menu, set Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio to 2:1 For Some LG TVs. (If your LG 4K 3D TV isn't a 2016 OLED, you might have to leave this at the default setting of disabled.)
  • In the Settings menu, click Save tabs settings now.

Ripping Process:
  • In MakeMKV, open and scan the disc.
  • Select the video tracks you want to keep. At a minimum you want enable the "MVC" video track, which is needed for 3D and is disabled by default. You generally don't want the other tracks, which are usually menu backgrounds, ads, legalese, bonus features, etc.
    Tips when there are multiple MVC tracks:
    - If there are multiple MVC tracks, you typically want the biggest one.
    - If there are two MVC tracks that tie for the biggest, pick the one with more chapters.
    - If you still can't tell, you'll have to select both and check them out to see what the difference is.
    - If you still can't tell even after watching both rips, pick the first one.
  • Select all of the audio tracks you want, but keep in mind that the 2016 LG HDMI ARC is very limited.
  • Rip. Takes about 20 minutes for me.

Conversion Process:
  • In BD3D2MK3D Tab 1, open the MKV file you ripped.
  • In Tab 2 you generally don't need to do anything here unless you have special considerations for subtitles. See Optional section below for more info.
  • In Tab 3, enter the movie title. This is required and will be the basis for folder/file names. For best chance of an automatic and correct match in Plex, I suggest using the following format: "Movie Title (year)". Leave the rest blank because Plex provides that automatically later.
  • Skip Tab 4. Plex provides all this automatically later.
  • In Tab 5, click Do it!.
  • Demux will start. Mark the checkbox "Exit and Encode After Successful Demux".
  • Demux will occur for a minute or two. Then a command line window will open and the file conversion process will start. This will take a long time.
  • When it is done converting, press any key in the command line window to close it. Delete the temporary working folder for this movie, which is located in the Project (temp) folder specified in Tab 5.

If you set the destination folder for the converted file as your 3D Plex Library and Plex is set up to detect changes, then you are done and the title should just appear in Plex automatically and you can now play it back in Plex.

----------------------------------
Optional
----------------------------------

Glossary:
  • TAB (Top and Bottom) - Each frame of the file includes left and right frames, one on top of the other.
  • SBS (Side by Side) - Each frame of the file includes left and right frames, side by side to each other.
  • FS (Frame Sequential) - Left and right frames alternate.

Subtitles

2D subtitle tracks are supported in FS only. (2D subtitles can be turned on in 3D and are legible, but the depth cues are a bit odd.) So if it is important for you to be able to turn 2D subtitles on and off, choose Frame Sequential during the conversion process. 2D subtitles will trigger live transcoding on the Plex server, so a weak Plex server won't be able to handle this. FS files are larger than TAB and SBS files--in FS the left and right frames alternate, causing some efficiency loss because encoding relies on similarities between adjacent frames. In my experimenting, turning 2D subtitles on for TAB and SBS files caused all kinds of playback problems.

3D subtitle tracks are not supported in a toggleable "on and off" manner. 3D subtitles are only supported in 3D files if they are "burned" into the video during the conversion process, which makes them always on during playback, such as you might need for a foreign language film. If you have a film that you always need subtitles on for, in Tab 2 enable All subtitles are forced? for the subtitle track that you want always on. This isn't just for foreign movies, many domestic movies also occasionally have a little bit of foreign language (or even "space alien" language) sprinkled in here and there. In these cases there are subtitles for the foreign bits but not for the native language bits, in which case you will want to "burn in" the specific subtitle track that has just those subtitles.

Advanced Considerations

Both H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC) work on my LG. In BD3D2MK3D you can select either one in the Settings tab (H.264 is the default). In H.264, TAB, SBS, and FS are supported. In H.265, only TAB and SBS are supported.

Here are the pros and cons for H.265 that I've discovered:
  • Takes much more time to encode.
  • Has a much smaller file size (about 40% smaller).
  • Will not trigger 3D mode automatically, so you have to select it manually via the remote. (H.264 3D files trigger 3D mode automatically.)
  • TAB and SBS work, but FS does not.

So based on the above testing, you want your 3DBD2MK3D Codec and Stereoscopy Settings to be:
  • If you want much faster conversion: H.264 (TAB, SBS, or FS)
  • If you want 3D mode to activate automatically: H.264 (TAB, SBS, or FS)
  • If you want 2D toggleable subtitles, H.264 (FS only)
  • If you want much smaller file sizes and more efficient network use: H.265 (TAB or SBS only)
Lurker123 and Danonano like this.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 03-29-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Not sure if you mentioned it, but I use DVDfab which can also output t/b full or sbs full. If you use DVDfab you only need to run it through that application but you will want to mux the file through mkvmerge and expand the frame to 16:9 so the image is displayed properly and not a vertical rectangle.

I never bothered with h.265, so much longer to encode and space really doesn't cost that much now. You can get 4TB drives now for 100.00.
Actionable Mango likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 53 Old 03-27-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 275
No, I did not try DVDfab because it costs money. Also that extra step you mention after DVDfab is not needed with BD3D2MK3D's conversion process. I think BD3D2MK3D is doing this via the "Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio to 2:1 For Some LG TVs" setting, because if I don't set that I get the "vertical rectangle" result you describe. It is nice to know that it works though, many people have DVDfab and are already used to its interface--they might as well stick with it.

I agree with your thoughts on H.265. I am using H.264 because I like the seamless user experience of it automatically starting and stopping 3D mode. So 3D movies "just work" in Plex. I only mention it in the the Advanced section because I took the time to test every combination of H.264, H.265, TAB, SBS, and FS...and I didn't want that information to get lost if it was helpful to someone. We all have different needs and/or preferences!

I didn't know HDDs had gotten so cheap. I think I need to pick another one up. I'm 100% through ripping my 2D library and about 20% through my 3D library, but I have no backup drive. In my life I've had one hard drive completely die, and three get very badly corrupted--so I'm getting anxiety about the amount of time I've put into this with no redundancy. I REALLY don't want to start over, so $100 for a 4GB drive is a no-brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 03-27-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Newegg had a special for WD blue drives, only 5400 rpm but fine for network storage (sale ends in 6 days). Picked up a few more recently, I'm up to 40TB now on my main Plex server and about 20TB in other uses.

I should have said that for full 3D resolutions you'll need to remux after DVDfab, but not needed for half resolution files. I remux the files anyway so that I can change the movie title metadata which Plex pulls that incorrectly sometimes. So I have to remux anyway. I have makemkv too but I find DVDfab is just easier any more and I don't have to keep updating the beta key.

post #5 of 53 Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I didn't know HDDs had gotten so cheap. I think I need to pick another one up. I'm 100% through ripping my 2D library and about 20% through my 3D library, but I have no backup drive. In my life I've had one hard drive completely die, and three get very badly corrupted--so I'm getting anxiety about the amount of time I've put into this with no redundancy. I REALLY don't want to start over, so $100 for a 4GB drive is a no-brainer.
8TB WD externals regularly run for $150. Buy a pair (or 3 for one offsite!) and keep copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I have makemkv too but I find DVDfab is just easier any more and I don't have to keep updating the beta key.
Pay for makemkv, permanent license. If only he'd not gone with some bizarre payment system that's pretty off putting to many.
post #6 of 53 Old 06-13-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker123 View Post
8TB WD externals regularly run for $150. Buy a pair (or 3 for one offsite!) and keep copies.

Pay for makemkv, permanent license. If only he'd not gone with some bizarre payment system that's pretty off putting to many.
8TB for 150? Cheapest showing 259.00 right now. I just ordered a 6TB other day, priced at 167 or so.

One thing that sucks about this method and I know it's stated in the writeup for what it's for but the files produced will only work on 4K passive screens. It will not work on active 1080p screens like my DLP projector. You also need to have a 4K media player that can handle the full resolution files, can't be 1080p output. This puts me in a dilemma on how to proceed for full resolution as top/bottom full would only work on my two 4K screens and I cannot play the files at all elsewhere even to have them downscaled to fit as the files are just too big. My preferred method of viewing movies is on my 125" projector screen, even over my 65" E6 right behind it. Yeah, it's a nice TV but just too small for movies.

So the only universal method for full resolution is still .iso or MVC output from makemkv but you need a compatible player to handle the file output like PDVD or a KDlinks box. However, I found the KDlinks would not play all titles in 3D, some only would show up in 2D.

post #7 of 53 Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
8TB for 150? Cheapest showing 259.00 right now. I just ordered a 6TB other day, priced at 167 or so.
Check Slickdeals(dot)net or any other preferred deals site. WD external 8TBs apparently have gone on sale just last week for $139. I got mine at BestBuy a few months ago for $149 ea.

Quote:
One thing that sucks about this method and I know it's stated in the writeup for what it's for but the files produced will only work on 4K passive screens.
So the only universal method for full resolution is still .iso or MVC output from makemkv but you need a compatible player to handle the file output like PDVD or a KDlinks box. However, I found the KDlinks would not play all titles in 3D, some only would show up in 2D.
I did full 1080HD SBS 3D with another method describing a half-resolution 3D process about 2 years ago. Even the full 1080p still didn't look as good compared to the disk (probably some issues with the settings in one of the sub steps involved in that process) The resulting mkv had no issues playing in 3D on my Panasonic plasma although I believe did have to manually set it to 3D. I'll be trying this method and seeing what happens as I'd really like to just store the disks.
post #8 of 53 Old 06-13-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check Slickdeals(dot)net or any other preferred deals site. WD external 8TBs apparently have gone on sale just last week for $139. I got mine at BestBuy a few months ago for $149 ea.

I did full 1080HD SBS 3D with another method describing a half-resolution 3D process about 2 years ago. Even the full 1080p still didn't look as good compared to the disk (probably some issues with the settings in one of the sub steps involved in that process) The resulting mkv had no issues playing in 3D on my Panasonic plasma although I believe did have to manually set it to 3D. I'll be trying this method and seeing what happens as I'd really like to just store the disks.
You wouldn't be receiving full HD per eye if you're screen is 1080p even from full resolution file. You need frame packing method. Which is why it likely didn't look as good as the disc because it was scaled down and the resolution was cut in half, same as producing a half resolution 3D file.

post #9 of 53 Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't be receiving full HD per eye if you're screen is 1080p even from full resolution file. You need frame packing method. Which is why it likely didn't look as good as the disc because it was scaled down and the resolution was cut in half, same as producing a half resolution 3D file.
It'd be most interesting to know exactly where that was being done. The mkv was definitely full resolution. The video was 3860x1080P when properties of the file and stream were checked. My player and server are both set to not transcode. Although I did not check the stream being received, in the past when I have I was receiving the streamed native file as recorded.

As I understand it, the 3D functions by alternating frames and, in the case of active glasses, you're seeing right eye 30 fps, left eye 30fps, alternating frames from the full 60 fps being received. I've never been very clear on how the players handle it when sending to the TVs, but I know that they're using 2 streams on disk, 1 right, 1 left. If you rip the disk without software that understands the full format, you only get 1 eye, the right IIRC, and you get 1080P at 30fps. The stream heading to your TV? That's something I'm unclear on, other than it sends a right/left interlaced pattern, and without the flag that it's a 3D stream, it doesn't know to treat it differently than a regular 60fps stream.
post #10 of 53 Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What device are you using for streaming? If the output resolution on your player is 1080p then it is already scaled down before it reaches screen so the extra resolution here in encoding is pointless. If you're screen is 1080p it wouldn't matter either. The device would need to be outputting 3840x2160 resolution to screen in order to deliver 3840x1080p and you need a 4K screen to accept resolutions higher than 1080p.

As I said, you need frame packing to get full resolution, or a 4K player to a 4K screen with that type file. On disc it's MVC encoded frame packing and this is basically a full resolution top/bottom frame but the display can detect that 3D type so it will display full resolution. Top/bottom or side by side full resolutions are sent as a single frame which will get downscaled from your player to screen.

I've tested the full resolution method and it works but only from PS4 Pro to my 4K screens.

post #11 of 53 Old 06-16-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for the tutorial.

Just received Valerian from Amazon Germany and that doesn't play since it's region B encoded. So I can either buy a region free player or convert somehow. I'll try to convert first but this tutorial seems too advanced for my 1080p Epson projector. I'm thinking MakeMKV and plex should be enough? Or is BD3D2MK3D required for some reason?

Also I finally figured out why ripping 3d with makemkv never worked for me before (file was always 2d). In case others are stuck at that step, I just figured out there is a little triangle next to title and you have to select the 3D MVC track.

I did test yesterday that region B 2d will play with plex. Hopefully once, I get the 3d ripped, that will play as well so I don't need to buy a region free player.
post #12 of 53 Old 06-16-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndvizio View Post
Thanks for the tutorial.

Just received Valerian from Amazon Germany and that doesn't play since it's region B encoded. So I can either buy a region free player or convert somehow. I'll try to convert first but this tutorial seems too advanced for my 1080p Epson projector. I'm thinking MakeMKV and plex should be enough? Or is BD3D2MK3D required for some reason?

Also I finally figured out why ripping 3d with makemkv never worked for me before (file was always 2d). In case others are stuck at that step, I just figured out there is a little triangle next to title and you have to select the 3D MVC track.

I did test yesterday that region B 2d will play with plex. Hopefully once, I get the 3d ripped, that will play as well so I don't need to buy a region free player.
What are you using to play the 3D MVC output method? For projector, this method in thread won't work, you would need to play back the .iso method or the 3D MVC method but you need a player (PDVD or KDlinks type setup). Plex won't do anything with the 3D MVC method, only show up as 2D. But you can use the method in this thread's tutorial with Plex, so long as you have a 4K device hooked up. I've used the PS4 Pro and it works thru Plex but strangely it will not work thru the PS4's DLNA feature, says the file type is not supported. Possibly, it doesn't like the resolution type because it's 1920x2160. But it will work with 4K3D content that I film. I'm thinking the frame must be 16:9, otherwise it won't play the file.

post #13 of 53 Old 06-16-2018, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
What are you using to play the 3D MVC output method? For projector, this method in thread won't work, you would need to play back the .iso method or the 3D MVC method but you need a player (PDVD or KDlinks type setup). Plex won't do anything with the 3D MVC method, only show up as 2D. But you can use the method in this thread's tutorial with Plex, so long as you have a 4K device hooked up. I've used the PS4 Pro and it works thru Plex but strangely it will not work thru the PS4's DLNA feature, says the file type is not supported. Possibly, it doesn't like the resolution type because it's 1920x2160. But it will work with 4K3D content that I film. I'm thinking the frame must be 16:9, otherwise it won't play the file.
I thought I would play it back on my PS3 that I'm currently using to watch 3d blurays. Could move the nvidia shield to my projector setup or the Fire TV Cube I should receive soon. I think I understand now, Plex doesn't support MVC but does support SBS. So I need to convert to SBS but then the video would be degraded significantly since my projector does not support 4K. I think the easiest solution is to buy a region free bluray player.

Thanks
post #14 of 53 Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
What device are you using for streaming? If the output resolution on your player is 1080p then it is already scaled down before it reaches screen so the extra resolution here in encoding is pointless. If you're screen is 1080p it wouldn't matter either. The device would need to be outputting 3840x2160 resolution to screen in order to deliver 3840x1080p and you need a 4K screen to accept resolutions higher than 1080p.

As I said, you need frame packing to get full resolution, or a 4K player to a 4K screen with that type file. On disc it's MVC encoded frame packing and this is basically a full resolution top/bottom frame but the display can detect that 3D type so it will display full resolution. Top/bottom or side by side full resolutions are sent as a single frame which will get downscaled from your player to screen.

I've tested the full resolution method and it works but only from PS4 Pro to my 4K screens.
I've got an Apple 4K TV hooked up to a 4K LG 3D OLED screen. That's my test scenario for now. It'll be interesting to see how it works, if at all. Previously, it was 1080P from a mini. That has challenges, I know, but I'm driving a 2.5k screen natively from it. I'll update once I have some time to test this again.
post #15 of 53 Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like your setup is similar to mine. I don't have Apple TV but I use Mac mini's and Plex. You should be fine from your Apple tv since it's 4K and use the top/bottom full method. From mac mini or any 1080p device you can only use half resolution unless your device supports frame packing.

I actually just ordered another KDlinks box, a newer model this time the A400. Handles 4K and 3D iso and MVC. Should be here tomorrow. I think I will use this for digital 3D files from now on, if there are iso files the KDlinks won't play in 3D I will convert them to MVC via DVDfab or makemkv.

post #16 of 53 Old 06-22-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sounds like your setup is similar to mine. I don't have Apple TV but I use Mac mini's and Plex. You should be fine from your Apple tv since it's 4K and use the top/bottom full method. From mac mini or any 1080p device you can only use half resolution unless your device supports frame packing.

I actually just ordered another KDlinks box, a newer model this time the A400. Handles 4K and 3D iso and MVC. Should be here tomorrow. I think I will use this for digital 3D files from now on, if there are iso files the KDlinks won't play in 3D I will convert them to MVC via DVDfab or makemkv.
KDlinks A400 is $300? That's a little pricey although it might be worth it to play "native" 3D quality from a direct makemkv MVC rip. Like I mentioned, I already have the Apple 4k TVs and a mini....
post #17 of 53 Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, as long as your display is 4K you should be fine. My problem, while I do have a 65" OLED E6, I prefer the large format projection screen but it's 1080p so I don't have a choice. The t/b full files won't work with that without downscaling. So it's either from disc or half resolution files.

I just got my A400 in today. A little irritated. Won't recognize mac formatted drive unlike the older KDlinks 720 which did. So I formatted in Windows and that worked but only up to 5.45 TB. Uhh.

Now it could be it just won't recognize the larger volume of 6TB mac partition but it does say in the manual to use NTFS or exfat so windows. So not really a big deal, I just have to pull the files over thru windows. But I'm going to throw a smaller drive in it first and see what that does. I'm not giving up 500gb. Maybe a smaller drive will work with Mac or else format the entire drive in windows with no space lost. Supposed to support up to 8TB drive internally.

As far as playback, it plays back iso files perfectly. I even tested one that the older 720 would only play in 2D and it's playing in 3D so hopefully all studio discs should work. I haven't tested mkv mvc's yet rendered from DVDfab but that's next on my list which should be full resolution. One option didn't work though, option to play the Blu ray menu, it just plays the main title.

post #18 of 53 Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KDlinks A400 is $300? That's a little pricey although it might be worth it to play "native" 3D quality from a direct makemkv MVC rip. Like I mentioned, I already have the Apple 4k TVs and a mini....
Yes, it's pricey. There was the older 720 model which I gave away already, but it did iso frame packing but it was HD only, no 4K. But as I said, I found a few titles that only played in 2D on that one and I see the A400 is playing in 3D so maybe something got fixed. It was mainly some documentary titles, I have more to test though. I got my 720 for around 100.00, it was a return. And that one you could format with mac and it would read the drive so they've changed it on these newer models, windows formatted only.

I tried a smaller 4TB mac-formatted drive and no dice. So mac formatted it won't detect the drive. I am going to try a smaller 4TB drive and see if I can get the entire volume partitioned and use the 6TB for mac side. There is a USB 3.0 slot, I can attach a 4-bay enclosure if I need to to the A400, it worked on the 720 when I tested it.

I think this will just be for 3D and 4K. Right now the only thing I have to play 4K is the PS4 Pro and I'm finding the Plex app is just not that great on there and the local DLNA feature is ok most of the time but not always. I'm connected via local network and every so often it hangs up playing 4k 100mbps files, might be better to play larger 4K files with attached storage. Once it's partitioned in windows I can connect to it via USB and move data to it in win or mac, just have to format in windows first.

Gonna see how I like it. This one runs Kodi but it's sort of useless so far. Supposed to be a way to pull movie posters in the way Plex does. I'll have to spend some more time with it. More testing to do.

post #19 of 53 Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I’ve used this method on my E6 and it works great, with Plex, with DLNA and from USB. Also worked with my Samsung JS7000.

With my Oppo 203, if you make sure the x264 encode has the “-frame-packing” flag set correctly, 3 for SBS. The Oppo will kick into 3D MVC mode. This is a little buggy, but it sends a full frame packed 1080p MVC signal to my Sony VPL-HW45ES projector. The output looks just as good as the 3D Bluray original.

Last edited by Nick Laslett; 06-23-2018 at 01:17 AM.
post #20 of 53 Old 06-23-2018, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Laslett View Post
I’ve used this method on my E6 and it works great, with Plex, with DLNA and from USB. Also worked with my Samsung JS7000.

With my Oppo 203, if you make sure the x264 encode has the “-frame packing” flag set correctly, 3 for SBS. The Oppo will kick into 3D MVC mode. This is a little buggy, but it sends a full frame packed 1080p MVC signal to my Sony VPL-HW45ES projector. The output looks just as good as the 3D Bluray original.
How do you get frame packing to work in Plex?

post #21 of 53 Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
How do you get frame packing to work in Plex?
Okay, I have just checked on my Oppo 203 connected to the Sony VPL-HW45ES projector, and on the LG 65E6V.

They both kick into automatic 3D when sent an 3D SBS 3840x1080 x264 MKV file. This works using Plex DLNA on the Oppo 203 and in Plex DLNA and Plex app on the LG 65E6V.

I only used BD3D2MK3D as a test to understand the AVISynth script and plugins requirements. I actually do all the steps by hand, MakeMKV>TSmuxer>AVISynth>X264>MKVToolnix. I feed the AVS script to x264 and used my own encode settings, nothing fancy, but made sure the “-frame-packing 3” switch for SBS. I can’t remember if BD3D2MK3D envokes the frame-packing switch by default, it probably does. *Edit just checked the Doom9 thread, and I pretty sure it is invoked by default.

Full command line:

C:\Users\nickl\Documents\x264\x264.exe --crf 14 --profile high --level 5 --preset veryslow --tune film --frame-packing 3 --ref 4 --bframes 3 --b-adapt 1 --keyint 240 --min-keyint 24 --vbv-maxrate 62500 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --output "J:\DOSEE_3D.264" "J:\AVS_Scripts\DOS\3D_DOSEE.avs"

I made no changes to the default settings in Plex server. When I muxed the x264 file into an MKV using MKVToolnix, I used the default settings and made no changes. I believe the “frame-packing 3” setting is in the H264 official specs which is why the TV and Oppo kick into 3D automatically.

Last edited by Nick Laslett; 06-23-2018 at 01:27 AM.
post #22 of 53 Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, so it's just a SBS full encode then, not frame packing. In my tests setting those flags doesn't really do anything. I've tried adding those and Plex nor my screens will do anything with the flag set. Have to manually trigger 3D mode although I do find that playing content from within the screen's built-in apps the flags will trigger because the screen has the software to detect it. Actually, wouldn't you need the SBS flag for that encode method 3840x1080?

To projector is that from a BD player? if it's not a true frame packing signal I don't see how you could get full resolution thru with a SBS full encode. It would probably downscale the image. A true frame packing signal is 1920x2205. So it's probably just downscaling it to 1920x1080p and you're getting half resolution. From LG screen it works because it's 4K and you just need a 4K signal.

post #23 of 53 Old 06-28-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Ok, so it's just a SBS full encode then, not frame packing. In my tests setting those flags doesn't really do anything. I've tried adding those and Plex nor my screens will do anything with the flag set. Have to manually trigger 3D mode although I do find that playing content from within the screen's built-in apps the flags will trigger because the screen has the software to detect it. Actually, wouldn't you need the SBS flag for that encode method 3840x1080?

To projector is that from a BD player? if it's not a true frame packing signal I don't see how you could get full resolution thru with a SBS full encode. It would probably downscale the image. A true frame packing signal is 1920x2205. So it's probably just downscaling it to 1920x1080p and you're getting half resolution. From LG screen it works because it's 4K and you just need a 4K signal.
Tom, I think the SBS is being combined into MVC before it is downscaled by the Oppo to send to my Sony projector. The reason I say this, is because if I send to same SBS file from my AppleTV to the projector, the AppleTV downscales the file to 1080p and the projector does the MVC conversion and there is a noticeable different in quality.

I took a picture of the info display from the Oppo and you can see that it is decoding the full 3840x1080 file and then turning it into an 1080 3D MVC before sending to the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B201C4C-AD7A-46E2-BFDA-C3A640A6E922.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2421468   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E0D04CC-486C-49E4-9608-D853FDDC30AB.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2421470   Click image for larger version

Name:	97B7A44E-529C-43EB-AA02-9AB6A105AF5B.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2421472  
post #24 of 53 Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 AM

I took a picture from my streaming 3D mkv file and from the 3D Blu-ray Disc, it is not the exact timestamp, but you can see that they look pretty much identical. For taking the picture the Oppo 203 was outputting 3D signal, but on the Sony projector I forced it into 2D mode. My first attempt at comparison pictures I used 3D mode, the did not look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC52920D-61C9-457A-9307-41C512569CD8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2421474   Click image for larger version

Name:	B0B20F74-46ED-4205-AC22-71F1BE1F2A74.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2421476  

Last edited by Nick Laslett; 06-28-2018 at 07:02 AM.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-28-2018, 06:47 AM

Since all my playing about with 3D files this morning, I actually got a 3D Bluray rip in 3d MVC format in M2TS container to stream to my Oppo 203.

I only went down the SBS route, because I thought that the Oppo 203 couldn’t stream 3D MVC BluRay rips, but I got it to work with both discs of The Hobbit Battle of Five Armies.

It was a post on the Plex forums, that suggested switching the order of the .264 and MVC file in TSMuxer, when turning a MakeMKV 3D MKV rip into an M2TS file.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/getting-3d-...on-plex/203246

This doesn’t work on my 2016 LG 65E6V, only via my Oppo 203.

Last edited by Nick Laslett; 06-28-2018 at 06:51 AM.
post #26 of 53 Old 06-28-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Setting up my KDLINKS A400, what a chore. So it doesn't recognize Mac-formatted drives, so I formatted to exFat so it's happy and I can also transfer files to the drives while in Mac, so a little easier than booting into Windows to transfer. I installed a 4TB drive inside and setting up an older 4-bay enclosure with 3TB drives I have. I've had one drive become corrupted, not sure why. Drive disconnected randomly and mucked up the volume, had to start over. Not sure I'd recommend this product to anyone really. It is nice for 3D though just playing the iso and the other content on the disc is there but it doesn't work in KODI app, have to go to the file manager and play the title then you can select other titles on the disc. If you just want the main title it's fine in KODI.

If I ever get this working it might be a nice setup for 3D, but that's all I'm going to use it for, and 4K content since it handles that too. But good grief what a headache! My Plex setup is so much better.

Note: it's supposed to handle 3D MKV MVC's, yeah can't get it to do those. I just get a black screen with audio, no video at all. I'm going to try another one and see but iso method seems to be it for 3D.

post #27 of 53 Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Not sure if you mentioned it, but I use DVDfab which can also output t/b full or sbs full. If you use DVDfab you only need to run it through that application but you will want to mux the file through mkvmerge and expand the frame to 16:9 so the image is displayed properly and not a vertical rectangle.

Exactly how did you expand the frame? I've been trying a number of options in MKVToolNix (Set Aspect Ratio and/or Display Height/Width) and have had no luck. Since MKVToolNix uses MKVMerge it should do the same thing.
post #28 of 53 Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, you can run it thru mkvmerge, after you import the file, highlight the h264 video track then select format specific options, then set to 16:9.

Note: Plex sees the full frame flag fine but it will not work in some devices. Like also on the PS4 Pro in media player or on my A400. Will not display full frame because it doesn't do anything with the meta flag. So, that's why I prefer frame packing. It's the only universal full quality 3D format. The top/bottom full is fine for 4K LG's if you have a media player that can detect the flag but don't expect the files to play across other devices.

post #29 of 53 Old 09-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Thanks for this. I need to convert my 3D disc for play via Plex.
post #30 of 53 Old 01-24-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks for this. Is there a free alternative to BD3D2MK3D? I'm using a Mac and BD3D2MK3D is only available for Windows.

More so, I've tried DVDFab to rip 3D Blu-Rays into 3D MKV.4K.H265.10bit (also copying original audio of DTS-HD MA 7.1) and high bitrate. It takes 25 hrs and that's ridiculously too long for me.

Looking for alternatives if anyone has suggestions.

Thx

Mo

++++++++++++++
- LG OLED55E6P | OLED | 4K | HDR | 3D
- ONKYO HT-S7800 5.1.2 Channel Dolby Atmos Home
- XBOX ONE S
- Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page