Any good UHD/4k projectors under $5,000 USD that have good 3D performance? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-11-2018, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Question Any good UHD/4k projectors under $5,000 USD that have good 3D performance?

SSIA... wondering if there are any PJs out there that can do 3D. Doesn't have to be UHD/4k necessarily if it's going to have active 3D anyway, but I figure most decent PJs will be UHD/4k.

Background is that I have an Epson 5040UB that is nice and all for just regular viewing but the 3D is just horrid. Mostly too dark to be usable IMO. "Home theater" is a partial basement with good but not perfect light control during the day but perfect at night. I do like the memory and motorized features (focus, lens shift, lens cover, etc.) of the 5040UB and would hope to have at least some of them.

Also trying to get a 3D OLED TV but that is a fairly hopeless endeavor at this point (don't want active 3D nor a used TV and the best option is the LG OLED65G6P for $6,000 which is more than I want to spend at this point).

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I could only think of the new entry level 4K front projectors from Sony and JVC.

Supposedly DLP technology provides the best 3D images you could possibly get, and there's the Optoma UHD51 that will provide UHD resolution by means of e-shift and is DLP Link (3D) compatible.

After the incredible market sucess of Optoma's UHD front projectors, I'd really like them to look into the possibility of providing a new model with improved black levels and 3D support that either comes with a built-in RF emitter or at least a VESA 3D port for external emitters.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3 of 22 Old 10-11-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
The 5040 should be bright enough, unless you have a large screen. 3D is problematic on it, though, for crosstalk.

Check out the Projectors in the Over $3,000 forum. There are some JVC projectors around $5k that get outstanding reviews.

Other than expensive native and JVC Dila eshift projectors that do 3D, you are left with 4 Projectors--all less than $2k. They all do DLPlink 3D--no crosstalk.

Benq HT2550
Benq TK800 (brighter version of the 2550)
Optoma UHD51A
Optoma UHD51ALV (brighter version of the 51A)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
I could only think of the new entry level 4K front projectors from Sony and JVC.

Supposedly DLP technology provides the best 3D images you could possibly get, and there's the Optoma UHD51 that will provide UHD resolution by means of e-shift and is DLP Link (3D) compatible.

After the incredible market sucess of Optoma's UHD front projectors, I'd really like them to look into the possibility of providing a new model with improved black levels and 3D support that either comes with a built-in RF emitter or at least a VESA 3D port for external emitters.
Thanks! Will check out the Sony/JVCs although they are likely to lack features that I want, aside from 3D. 1080p is actually completely acceptable as my 110" screen is plenty sharp with 1080p content and active 3D doesn't benefit from 4x the resolution from UHD that passive 3D does.

Optoma's sound like they have potential. Awesome that they have been doing well so they can come out with more/better PJs in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
The 5040 should be bright enough, unless you have a large screen. 3D is problematic on it, though, for crosstalk.

Check out the Projectors in the Over $3,000 forum. There are some JVC projectors around $5k that get outstanding reviews.

Other than expensive native and JVC Dila eshift projectors that do 3D, you are left with 4 Projectors--all less than $2k. They all do DLPlink 3D--no crosstalk.

Benq HT2550
Benq TK800 (brighter version of the 2550)
Optoma UHD51A
Optoma UHD51ALV (brighter version of the 51A)
Thanks for the into/tips! Ideally I could get a good 1080p projector for 3D. The 5040UB, even in my reasonably well light controlled viewing room with the brightness at max, and using a 1.0 gain (I think) screen, is just too dim for me. Noticeably brighter without the glasses, even with brightness maxed, fan max speed, etc. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though, will have to fiddle with the settings again.

Never had a DLP PJ (too afraid of possible rainbows) but also looking for more fully featured PJs, like the 5040UB, with motorized, lens focus, shift, etc. I figure only UHD PJs will have "upper end" features, although they're probably too pricey for my budget at this time. Will look into the ones you mentioned though, thanks again.

AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #5 of 22 Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi, what kind of 3D glasses are you using? Could it be the glasses that are making the picture too dark? I have an Epson 4000, which is almost the same as a 5040 except 5040 has better contrast, and the picture isn't too dark to be unwatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Thanks! Will check out the Sony/JVCs although they are likely to lack features that I want, aside from 3D. 1080p is actually completely acceptable as my 110" screen is plenty sharp with 1080p content and active 3D doesn't benefit from 4x the resolution from UHD that passive 3D does.

Optoma's sound like they have potential. Awesome that they have been doing well so they can come out with more/better PJs in the future.

Thanks for the into/tips! Ideally I could get a good 1080p projector for 3D. The 5040UB, even in my reasonably well light controlled viewing room with the brightness at max, and using a 1.0 gain (I think) screen, is just too dim for me. Noticeably brighter without the glasses, even with brightness maxed, fan max speed, etc. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though, will have to fiddle with the settings again.

Never had a DLP PJ (too afraid of possible rainbows) but also looking for more fully featured PJs, like the 5040UB, with motorized, lens focus, shift, etc. I figure only UHD PJs will have "upper end" features, although they're probably too pricey for my budget at this time. Will look into the ones you mentioned though, thanks again.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynejs View Post
Hi, what kind of 3D glasses are you using? Could it be the glasses that are making the picture too dark? I have an Epson 4000, which is almost the same as a 5040 except 5040 has better contrast, and the picture isn't too dark to be unwatchable.
Hi, I tried several cheaper alternatives but in the end had to get a set of 4 Epson glasses (can't remember the model # but the same as the ones that sometimes were bundled with the projector). I think I paid $75-90/each new. And people wonder why 3D is dead...

post #7 of 22 Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hi, I tried several cheaper alternatives but in the end had to get a set of 4 Epson glasses (can't remember the model # but the same as the ones that sometimes were bundled with the projector). I think I paid $75-90/each new. And people wonder why 3D is dead...
Definitely doesn't sound like it's the 3D glasses since they're Epsons. Yeah, name brand 3D glasses are way too overpriced. Sorry that the projector isn't working out.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Any good UHD/4k projectors under $5,000 USD that have good 3D performance?

Quote:
SSIA... wondering if there are any PJs out there that can do 3D. Doesn't have to be UHD/4k necessarily if it's going to have active 3D anyway, but I figure most decent PJs will be UHD/4k.

Background is that I have an Epson 5040UB that is nice and all for just regular viewing but the 3D is just horrid. Mostly too dark to be usable IMO. "Home theater" is a partial basement with good but not perfect light control during the day but perfect at night. I do like the memory and motorized features (focus, lens shift, lens cover, etc.) of the 5040UB and would hope to have at least some of them.

Also trying to get a 3D OLED TV but that is a fairly hopeless endeavor at this point (don't want active 3D nor a used TV and the best option is the LG OLED65G6P for $6,000 which is more than I want to spend at this point).

So generally 3D looks best on non 4k dlp projectors. This is because the dlp chips in 1080p dlp projectors are capable of about twice the contrast of their 4k dlp counterparts. You can find native 4k lcd/lcos projectors under $5,000 but they will likely have the same issues as your Epson. These issues are caused by lcd/lcos typically having less brightness (but higher contrast) and slower refresh rates than dlp generally does.

My suggestion, keep your projector and buy an in expensive ($500-$700) 1080p dlp projector dedicated just for 3D.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-13-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have an Epson 5030UB, one model year before your 5040. On a 132" 1.2 gain screen, the 3D brightness- with a low hour bulb- is quite satisfactory. So, if your bulb has more than 1000 hours on it, changing it might certainly help. The other possibility is a higher gain screen. That can make a huge difference.

Last edited by Barry C; 10-13-2018 at 11:46 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Could it be the glasses that are making the picture too dark?

Yes, still the big # 1 problem with shutter glasses for 3D projection. Tested multiple glasses last week and couldn't really tell that one was significantly brighter or darker than the other (with the exception of 3DTVCorp.'s kids glasses that were noticably darker than all the others).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #11 of 22 Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For your Epson 5040, I would recommend sticking with the OEM glasses, which I have found to be the best in all respects. Other glasses often have crosstalk issues which the OEM glasses do not have. Again, I'm wondering if it may be a combination of bulb hours and screen gain.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely doesn't sound like it's the 3D glasses since they're Epsons. Yeah, name brand 3D glasses are way too overpriced. Sorry that the projector isn't working out.
Oddly enough, I tried the ValueView 3D glasses that someone here (in this or another thread, maybe the 5040UB thread) recommended and it seems that it is superior for crosstalk-free 3D viewing. Need more vigorous testing (switching glasses to compare while watching) but so far, so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
So generally 3D looks best on non 4k dlp projectors. This is because the dlp chips in 1080p dlp projectors are capable of about twice the contrast of their 4k dlp counterparts. You can find native 4k lcd/lcos projectors under $5,000 but they will likely have the same issues as your Epson. These issues are caused by lcd/lcos typically having less brightness (but higher contrast) and slower refresh rates than dlp generally does.

My suggestion, keep your projector and buy an in expensive ($500-$700) 1080p dlp projector dedicated just for 3D.
Thanks for the info. One reason I probably can't do DLP in the future either is that they typically have more limited zoom/lens shift than LCD projectors for reasons I don't recall. Otherwise, I would probably consider it for my next PJ. Wish I could have two but I have limited installation space (low ceiling install with no shelf ability) so can't do two at a time or switching between two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
I have an Epson 5030UB, one model year before your 5040. On a 132" 1.2 gain screen, the 3D brightness- with a low hour bulb- is quite satisfactory. So, if your bulb has more than 1000 hours on it, changing it might certainly help. The other possibility is a higher gain screen. That can make a huge difference.
Thanks, that's a good idea and I may look into it although I hate the idea of changing my screen for higher gain since the black performance will also go down then (and the 5040UB isn't known for good black levels to begin with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Yes, still the big # 1 problem with shutter glasses for 3D projection. Tested multiple glasses last week and couldn't really tell that one was significantly brighter or darker than the other (with the exception of 3DTVCorp.'s kids glasses that were noticably darker than all the others).
Too bad about the kid's glasses as the lack of active 3D glasses for kids (compared with the kids RealD 3D glasses you can get from ebay or the theater) is one of the reasons I am also looking to upgrade my 3D TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
For your Epson 5040, I would recommend sticking with the OEM glasses, which I have found to be the best in all respects. Other glasses often have crosstalk issues which the OEM glasses do not have. Again, I'm wondering if it may be a combination of bulb hours and screen gain.
Thanks, I like the Epson glasses a lot (although quite pricey) but the ValueView glasses seem to be better. I recommend giving it a try if you have a 5040UB also. It's too bad, because I remember 3D performance (brightness/crosstalk) was better in my older Panasonic PT-AE8000U than the 5040UB.

post #13 of 22 Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course, it's a very subjective individual thing, but I find that the black levels/contrast ratio on the 5030 to be quite good on a 132" 1.2 gain screen. I'm very satisfied with it. The 5040 should be equally good. But again, all very subjective.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Optoma just came out with the exact projector to fit my needs "the 4K550ST." Now I just have to live long enough to see a price drop, or maybe, a Go Fund Me Site.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-29-2018, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Benq HT2550 is definitely my recommended option. Have it myself and I'm super impressed.
post #16 of 22 Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Barslund Haxholm View Post
Benq HT2550 is definitely my recommended option. Have it myself and I'm super impressed.
I just threw the dice on a Optoma UHD51 ALV. It's relatively short throw ratio lets me park it permanently against the back wall in my room and project against a 100" screen with neutral zoom. Now I can move my Benq HT2150ST, which is really a good projector, out of the center of the room and not have to move it every time I need to vacuum or whatever. It will be used as an outdoor projector for my 11 yr old Granddaughter's sleepover parties. The UHD 51 is a native 1080 projector but the 3D is more important to me than it's 4k capabilities. Living in a small 4 room 900 sq ft house presents a lot of projection problems, but it does give me an excuse to own three projectors.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-21-2018, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I am kinda in the same boat but I have even more demands.
I need 4k 60Hz 2D and 1080p 120Hz Frame Sequential 3D output for Nvida 3D Vision Gaming(and 3D Blurays with PowerDVD).
I am using a 270" white wall, i can paint it but even after painting I think 2400 lumens(like the Optoma UHD40/50 has) won't be enough.
I have no ambient light at night and nearly zero ambient light at day.
Price could be a bit over 6000€.
It should be short throw or have good vertical lens shift, so that i could put it at 1/3 from bottom of the image(1,5 meters or so).

The 4K550ST could be perfect for me, but it has kinda low contrast and I don't know if a "professional" PJ could be used for gaming aswell(input lag).
Any suggestions for other PJs or sites where I could look for 4K550ST reviews other then projectorcentral ?
post #18 of 22 Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So help me out here

If the Optoma 4K550ST says that it supports 120Hz frame sequential (1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz) - that would be full HD per eye I imagine... How does one play that? Do you need to play that out of a computer/graphics card or are there any types of converters that take full side by side or UHD half side by side and convert it to that?

And are there HD projectors that have the same 3D specs?

I’m new to any active 3D deciding if it fits any role in my project.

Last edited by Morgus1; 12-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgus1 View Post
So help me out here

If the Optoma 4K550ST says that it supports 120Hz frame sequential (1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz) - that would be full HD per eye I imagine... How does one play that? Do you need to play that out of a computer/graphics card or are there any types of converters that take full side by side or UHD half side by side and convert it to that?

I'd like the answer to Morgus1's question as well.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
I'd like the answer to Morgus1's question as well.
If this is for frame-sequential 3D, check the UHD50 thread, for instructions and testimony.
post #21 of 22 Old 01-31-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgus1 View Post
So help me out here

Hey Morg, typically you need a computer that can do quad buffering to play frame sequential, and yes it does 60hz per eye. I used to do this back in the day before I got a 3D bluray player, which in my opinion is light years ahead of using a computer to do the same thing in frame-packed for a lot less money. Search for Quadro graphics cards. I think some of the newer graphics cards will do this without a Quadro, but you'll have to check the graphics card. Again, about 8 years ago, there were 3D ready projectors that did frame sequential by computer and didn't take bluray. The 550st is a throwback for computer users apparently.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Hey Morg, typically you need a computer that can do quad buffering to play frame sequential, and yes it does 60hz per eye. I used to do this back in the day before I got a 3D bluray player, which in my opinion is light years ahead of using a computer to do the same thing in frame-packed for a lot less money. Search for Quadro graphics cards. I think some of the newer graphics cards will do this without a Quadro, but you'll have to check the graphics card. Again, about 8 years ago, there were 3D ready projectors that did frame sequential by computer and didn't take bluray. The 550st is a throwback for computer users apparently.
I am still waiting for someone to try and report here on 1080p120Hz frame-sequential from a newer AMD card. If 720p works (confirmed with a Polaris), I see no good reason for 1080p not to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page