Best Long Throw OR Ultra Short Thow DLP projector for 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Best Long Throw OR Ultra Short Thow DLP projector for 3D

I am looking to get a 1080p DLP projector just for 3D (via bluray). I have another projector already for general use but it has some crosstalk I get annoyed with on aggressive 3D titles. I could fit a long throw (> 2.12 throw ratio) or an ultra short throw. Don't know much about the ultra short throws and how well they do 3D. Will be researching that.

For the Long Throw I see the Optoma HD39Darbee has a long throw. Are there any others to consider?

I could consider an Ultra Short throw and I see many Chinese brands for these. I think Optoma has one as well. Just not sure how well they do 3D vs something like the HD39Darbee.

Thanks for any feedback.

EDIT: corrected throw ratio - and added this question...

@3DBob if you are listening. I see you had/have both the HD29Darbee and the BENQ TK800 from reviewing posts. If you had to pick just one for watching 3D only what would it be and why? Does the TK800 have more cross talk or other artifacts? I know about the "light frame" around the image issue with it. I also see for 4K that OPTOMA has UHD51ALV and UHD51A that claim to do frame interpolation in 3D - that would be nice as well. Am I correct the HD29Darbee does not do this feature?

Last edited by fingersdlp; 10-23-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Hi, @fingersdlp What size screen do you have, and how long of a throw do you have? That can determine a lot.

I don't know of any short throw projectors other than one coming out of China, but not much on that yet for 3D. Also the logistics of purchasing one could be risky at best. If your primary use is 3D and good brightness, the 4K projectors that do 3D are probably overkill, unless frame interpolation is important to you for 3D, then the Optoma UHD51 series would have that. The HD29 and HD39Darbees do not have frame interpolation, but they have excellent 3D due to the Darbee processor and are very bright. But brightness requirements also depend on your screen size and throw distance.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. My needed throw ratio is around 2.12 (18' 4" back from a 103" wide screen (118 diag)). I have a JVC that does very good to great 3D. However I have a somewhat large 3D library and some titles like Sammy's Adventure show cross talk unless I dial it out in settings and that really dims the picture. I don't have any experience with DLP 3D but I based on what I have read it seems they would have less cross talk than LCOS or LCD? Since I would only use it for 3D it seems a cheaper 1080p might be the best answer. Just have to decide if the improvement for 3D would be worth it - very hard to know without a demo in my room. Those ultra short throw ones are intriguing but would like to see an english language and US distribution.

Anyway - thanks for the reply and if you happen to have Sammy's adventure do you see much cross talk with a DLP? I read the crosstalk on a DLP is minimal compared to other technologies.

Thanks

EDIT: Any glasses recommendation for the Optoma Darbee?

p.s. Chapter 2 or 3 where the turtles dive under the water from the floating board is a spot I see cross talk with my JVC.

Last edited by fingersdlp; 10-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-24-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the wide screen how do watch 16:9 3D, which include many of the documentary films There are also some movies that have both widescreen and 16:9 in the same movie, usually those that were also shown in IMAX and show some scenes in full screen. With your screen size, the HD29Darbee would work nicely I think. You would get some light loss with the long throw, but not much. I don't have Sammy's adventure, but sometimes if the 3D separation is set too wide or near parallax (where objects come through the stereo window) is too great, you might see crosstalk simply because you eyes can't handle it. That said, I have to say, I do not see any crosstalk with DLP glasses, especially since they work at 144hz these days, which is perfect for 24hz movies and minimize judder. Some LCD projectors like the Epsons have had crosstalk issues.

For DLP glasses, you can find them on Amazon, but they are beginning to disappear slowly but surely. Look for ones that have a good rating and do 144hz. Older glasses only did 120hz. Most of the cheaper ones work ok, these days.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info. My screen is 16:9 (103 x 58 for around 118 diagonal) when unmasked. I have motorized masking for top and bottom and simple masks for the left right that I made for watching stuff like 4:3 content - I rarely put them on but it is easy to adjust them for the needed aspect ratio if not full width. But mostly I just use the full width and motorized vertical (top and bottom masks) for switching between 16:9, 2.35:1 etc.

If I watch something that has variable aspect ratios I just set it to the larger one. With the JVC its contrast is great so not much of a distraction to have a slightly elevated black border for those when it does not use the full frame so to speak. I am sure the DLP wont be as nice in that regard (black level).

Well its about 50/50 on if I get one now or wait until CES to see if a ultra short throw might be an option from someone like Optoma as there is some speculation and rumor it might happen (with the required additional wait time - if ever). However it would probably be 4K and more than I want to spend unless it was serious eye candy with great 3D.

Decisions. If I get something I will post back eventually on the details.

Thanks again
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2018, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have an Optoma GT5500+ UST and a Benq 2150ST. I use a 100" Elite Yardmaster 2 for the Optoma and a 100" Elite Manual SRM Pro for the Benq. Of the two set ups I prefer the Optoma for 3d due to it being a little brighter and Benq for 2d due to color. Neither projector has been calibrated and both screens have a gain of 1.1. These are the only screens I have ever used so I really can't evaluate these against higher quality screens. I can make both rooms where the projectors are located 100% dark and I can say that small amounts of light make a noticable difference. Between the two, I've noticed very minimal crosstalk and minimal prism effect, neither of which has been bad enough to be distracting. Blu Ray disks are my primary media but I do stream YouTube and watch OTA sporting events. The quality of the bluray disk is by far the most determinant of 3d picture quality. I know this is very basic stuff but I am set up to do some comparisons, but you'll have to be specific in your requests. I'm not a tech nerd. And yes, I would love to pull the trigger on one of the Chinese UST projectors, but it's such a gamble.

Last edited by bjones8103; 10-27-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Hi, @fingersdlp What size screen do you have, and how long of a throw do you have? That can determine a lot.

I don't know of any short throw projectors other than one coming out of China, but not much on that yet for 3D. Also the logistics of purchasing one could be risky at best. If your primary use is 3D and good brightness, the 4K projectors that do 3D are probably overkill, unless frame interpolation is important to you for 3D, then the Optoma UHD51 series would have that. The HD29 and HD39Darbees do not have frame interpolation, but they have excellent 3D due to the Darbee processor and are very bright. But brightness requirements also depend on your screen size and throw distance.
Should the Darby on an Oppo 103D Blu Ray improve the 3D through a non Darby projector. It doesn't seem to help on mine, but that may have something to do with my settings. Also, give me your opinion on the Chinese USTs. The lack of gamma adjustment is scary to me. Thanks.

Last edited by bjones8103; 10-27-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-27-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones8103 View Post
Should the Darby on an Oppo 103D Blu Ray improve the 3D through a non Darby projector. It doesn't seem to help on mine, but that may have something to do with my settings. Also, give me your opinion on the Chinese USTs. The lack of gamma adjustment is scary to me. Thanks.
I've had a separate darbee I used for projectors in the past and have used it post bluray player with great results. You generally have to set the darbee to 95%. I actually use it now for 3D movies and it makes them very 4k-like.

As for the Chinese USTs. I think they will be a headache for you, especially for warranty problems. Lack of gamma just means they cut corners to save costs, and the image will be preset to average. You can usually adjust brightness and contrast to simulate a gamma change, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page