Just found out 3D TVs were a dying breed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By wildbill722
  • 2 Post By Rudy1

post #1 of 9 Old 11-18-2018, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just found out 3D TVs were a dying breed

With Samsung's trade-up program, I am considering buying a new QLED TV to replace my older SUHD TV with 3D (UN65JS8500). The current set has pretty early implementation of HDR and isn't supported by Vudu for 4K. Nor is my K8500 4K Blu-Ray player. But the M9500 Blu-Ray player is and I got one for $150 NIB to try to solve my 4K streaming issue.

I didn't realize until I got it home that it doesn't support 3D like my K8500 does. So as to not lose 3D capability, I was trying to get my PS3 working, which started a long string of research into 3D and devices. Found out (as you guys already know) that there isn't much new support for 3D any more. Looks like NONE of the QLED TVs have 3D and I already know the new Samsung 4K Blu-Ray players don't. Thankfully I'm not heavily invested in 3D Blu-Rays. I do have 4 pairs of glasses and we watched Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D last night.

If I do decide to get a new QLED TV, I'll lose 3D capability. And I'll have to do something with my 3-year-old 65" TV. Reading a few threads, it seems there is a healthy secondary market for TVs like mine. Is this so? If I can sell this for a good price, it will reduce the "sting" of replacing an good 2015 TV with a better 2018 model. Since I only have a couple of 3D titles and am now focusing on 4K content, I think I'd be OK with the "trade off".

Thoughts?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 339
My thought: I too have 65JS8500. I wouldn't even think about replacing it for a newer display simply because a newer display is newer. If that newness means I'd be able to play a low quality high labeled paid streaming service better but I'd be giving up 3D, the choice is easy for me. I have no desire to use any paid subscription service that can't equal the original disc in exact quality audio and video. I also wouldn't set down 3D even if it could match. You make is sound like the HDR on these panels is primitive and doesn't work very good because a certain streaming service doesn't play nice with it. I disagree. I think these panels are exceptional and not just the HDR and 3D they produce so well. But if your point is that you don't care for 3D and streaming is your biggest concern, to each his own. Enjoy. That's my thought.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #3 of 9 Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
There is a market for used 3D TVs. You can advertise in the forum classifieds. The problem will be, though, that anyone buying is taking a chance that the TV still works properly, as getting it repaired is probably not possible now, or very expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-19-2018, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
There is a market for used 3D TVs. You can advertise in the forum classifieds. The problem will be, though, that anyone buying is taking a chance that the TV still works properly, as getting it repaired is probably not possible now, or very expensive.
Yep, it's a sad state of affairs re: 3D. I ended up buying a used 65" 2013 Sony model (for probably way too much) from someone here because I liked the design (I also have the 55" version) with integrated/side mounted speakers and as it is LCD and does passive 3D (and 1080p for each eye). Was interested in the LG OLEDs but too fragile and didn't want any risk of burn in as I just can't deal with that.

There are (for the OP) a couple TVs that you can still buy new that have 3D. As of a couple weeks ago, B&H was selling the active 3D Sony 65" Z9D set for only two grand including shipping, which I was considering but didn't get due to active 3D more than anything else.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #5 of 9 Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
3D and the Nakakome building

Welcome to da party pal!

Just kidding. I have been in utter disbelief over this for the last year. Thank goodness for projectors.
JediMindTrick likes this.

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203
post #6 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. While I only have a few 3D titles, I am reluctant to give up that capability. It was fun watching Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D, but not something I'd like to do every day. The glasses don't really fit my 11 year old very well.

My current quest is to increase my 4k library, which is why I was talking about making changes to better support that. I THINK I'll be able to watch the few digital 4k movies using FandangoNow instead of Vudu without changing anything (but now I'm away from home for the Holiday week and can't test it). Also, I was able to get my PS3 to play 3D by connecting directly to the TV instead of the AVR, so I think I'm covered and will drop thoughts of replacing the TV. I do like it very much (even though it is edge lit and doesn't have a very wide viewing angle),

One thing mentioned a couple of time is lack of repairability of this TV (or is it all "older" 3D TVs?). Do these have a short life? Mine is 3 years old. My previous JVC D-ILA rear projection TV was going strong at 11 years when I replaced it with this. Do current TVs have a shorter life? How much service can I expect from my JS8500?

My apologies also if I called the JS8500 "primitive". It was my recollection that the HDR as implemented on it was/is a fairly early version and not "full" HDR. Is that not accurate? I didn't mean to step on any toes about that.

Rob
post #7 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
The 3D implementation on the Samsung JS8500 is the best I've seen in the many years I've owned 3D displays from Sony, LG, Vizio, Panasonic, and Samsung. Crosstalk is virtually non-existent with both streamed and disc-based content, and the OS menu has enough adjustments to allow you to optimize the 3D image to near-perfection--something none of the other manufacturers have ever done. I've got both my JS8500 and my K8500 in storage now, and don't plan on getting rid of either of them since I own an extensive collection of 3D titles.
brazen1 and Car67 like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 339
The HDR capability of JS8500's is no different than todays models. It's a 10bit panel. 99% of all displays made are 8bit-10bit. Even overrated OLED's are all 10bit and it doesn't produce the plastic Gumby looking picture either. It handles BT.709 and BT.2020. I've no idea what you mean by suggesting it is not "full" HDR. HDR on this panel is incredible and I prefer it over other panels I could have decided on because it is so incredible. Same with 3D. I agree with the post above. It's perfect. I also notice as newer and newer 3D titles are released, the post processing out of the studios has improved drastically. On these displays, I doubt one could distinguish a native 3D from a processed 3D anymore.

As for the life of the panel... We use the JS8500 as a PC monitor as well as the primary entertainment display. It is ON 16 hours a day, every day since installed Aug, 2016. There are no issues and reasonably don't expect any. This really is a very nice display for all the right reasons and was one of kind in it's day and still is imo.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2019, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too have one of those old JS8500, 65". The 3D is just amazing. My 4K player is only XBox 360 that does 4K, but the 3D on the PS4 is WAY BETTER!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page