Watching 3D provided by IPTV/Setbox TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Watching 3D provided by IPTV/Setbox TV?

Friends,
I need some expert's opinion here please. Really really appreciated.

I have a Sony TV (with active 3D support, shutter glasses of course).
This TV is connected to an IPtv / Settop box. I can see a lot of 3D movies in this box menu but when I attempt to play any of these, i do not see any real 3D effect.
Then i checked in my TV 3D settings - i can turn whole 3D on or off, Or side by side , top and bottom, etc. I almost tried everything but still not getting any 3D effect.

Does it mean that the IP TV provider actually does not provide us real 3D content?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Friends,
I need some expert's opinion here please. Really really appreciated.

I have a Sony TV (with active 3D support, shutter glasses of course).
This TV is connected to an IPtv / Settop box. I can see a lot of 3D movies in this box menu but when I attempt to play any of these, i do not see any real 3D effect.
Then i checked in my TV 3D settings - i can turn whole 3D on or off, Or side by side , top and bottom, etc. I almost tried everything but still not getting any 3D effect.

Does it mean that the IP TV provider actually does not provide us real 3D content?
You'd need to check the IP TV provider is outputting something that the TV can interpret as a 3D video input. If it doing proper frame packed 3D (ie like a 3D Blu-Ray disc) the TV should auto-detect this and switch to 3D mode for you. However, getting frame packed 3D working is pretty problematic hardware wise so not many providers do this. So the usual choice is to use SBS (Side-by-Side) video and you simply choose that option on the TV once media is playing to get 3D activated display wise. If your display chain hardware is old (ie pre-HDMI 1.4 amplifiers/receivers) you would want to just direct connect the IPTV box to the TV to avoid any HDMI handshaking issues for frame packed video (or 3D Blu-Ray).

You should test your TV with some example videos on YouTube (like here) to try it out after switching to SBS mode. Since you haven't mentioned what provider you're using it's possible they stopped supporting 3D movies and the UI is simply old/outdated and they aren't supporting it - worth checking with your provider directly to see if they have cancelled the service entirely.

It's possible your Sony also has a built-in conversion process for 2D -> 3D (the first 3D option ie On/Off) however you want to avoid that for testing and stick with either SBS/TAB media since the conversion process is pretty variable/error-prone quality wise. I recommend for proper testing getting a 3D Blu-Ray player and some 3D Blu-Ray discs but SBS media from YouTube is good enough as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page